The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Revelator wrote: »
    So what would an Essential Connery list look like? My selection:

An Age of Kings (1960)
    Woman of Straw (1964)
    Marnie (1964)
    The Hill (1965)
    The Offence (1973)
    Zardoz (1974)
    The Wind and the Lion (1975)
    The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
    Robin and Marian (1976)
    Time Bandits (1981)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
    The Hunt for Red October (1990)
    The Russia House (1990)
    The Rock (1996)

Some of the films are not masterpieces (The Rock) but feature an especially striking performance by Connery. Other films are practically insane (Zardoz) but memorable for that very reason. As for Connery's very best performances on film, in three of his very best films, I would choose The Offence, The Man Who Would Be King, and Robin and Marian. I don't think it's possible to watch those and not realize what a superb actor Sean Connery is.

He's amazing in those films. With him off the screens now for 14 years, it's easy to overlook just how great an actor he is as well as a major movie star. In the '90's he was still a major box office draw.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I've seen over 30 Connery films as long as I can include 3 or 4 pre-Bond films and others like A Bridge Too Far and his cameo in Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves.

I agree with @ToTheRight Connery was a superb screen actor.
    The Anderson Tapes is a good Connery film as well.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The Anderson Tapes is a good Connery film as well.
    I consider it Connery's other early 1970s heist caper film.
    NicNac wrote: »
    I've seen over 30 Connery films as long as I can include 3 or 4 pre-Bond films and others like A Bridge Too Far and his cameo in Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves.

I think of Connery as kind of one of the last of his breed. A genuine movie star who was excellent at what he did, and versatile.
    I suppose of his generation he can be put alongside Clint, Jack Nicholson, Paul Newman, Redford and Dustin Hoffman as a true legend. The next generation of movie screen icons after the likes of James Stewart, Clark Gable, Robert Mitchum, Spencer Tracy and so forth.
    Is there even anyone today that has such impact?
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I think of Connery as kind of one of the last of his breed. A genuine movie star who was excellent at what he did, and versatile.
    I suppose of his generation he can be put alongside Clint, Jack Nicholson, Paul Newman, Redford and Dustin Hoffman as a true legend. The next generation of movie screen icons after the likes of James Stewart, Clark Gable, Robert Mitchum, Spencer Tracy and so forth.
    Sadly, the age of strong lead actors died. Nowadays, no male actor generates a screen presence enough for any man to admire as an alpha male. It's the age of Jamie Dornan's and Ian Sommerhalder's, today. Effeminate eye candies for teenage girls and young adults.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Robin and Marian is one of my favourite films. Always loved Robin Hood ever since the old Jason Connery TV show on ITV and that film is really something special imo. You'd never get something as real seeming as that sword fight in a film today. Probably due a rewatch of that actually. I think that and The Offense are probably his best performances that I've seen outside of Bond.

The Untouchables is obviously really good as well, and I love The Rock. He's so great in that. "Can't cut anyone's ballsh off with a pair of thesesh can I".

Sadly, the age of strong lead actors died. Nowadays, no male actor generates a screen presence enough for any man to admire as an alpha male. It's the age of Jamie Dornan's and Ian Sommerhalder's, today. Effeminate eye candies for teenage girls and young adults.

I agree that they don't make them like they used to but every now and again you do get the odd one who breaks the mold. Obviously they're nowhere near as good an actor as Connery but Jason Statham, Scott Adkins. There are still proper alpha male types out there.

I think the best example though is Sean Bean. A proper mans man but also a brilliant versatile actor. I guess it isn't really fair to count him though as he's been around for a bit.
    Robin and Marian is one of my favourite films.... I think that and The Offense are probably his best performances that I've seen outside of Bond.

I think you're right.
    I think the best example though is Sean Bean. A proper mans man but also a brilliant versatile actor. I guess it isn't really fair to count him though as he's been around for a bit.

When Goldeneye came out several reviewers said Sean Bean was better choice for James Bond than Brosnan.
    As I'm sure you know,Babs wanted Sean Bean to be Bond ,big time.

Hence she got him to be the main villain instead.
    You know? Why I love Brozza, I actually wouldn't have minded Sean Bean as Bond. He'd have been terrrific, imo.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Harrison Ford & Denzel Washington are the only two I can think of from the group after Connery's generation. That's about it. There's nobody out there from the younger group.
  • You know? Why I love Brozza, I actually wouldn't have minded Sean Bean as Bond. He'd have been terrrific, imo.

I'm the same. Big Brosnan fan but I think Bean would have been just as good if not better. Can't say I'm not happy with the way things turned out though. Love Brosnan as Bond and love Bean as Trevelayn. One of the best Bond/villain parings.
    As I'm sure you know,Babs wanted Sean Bean to be Bond ,big time.

Hence she got him to be the main villain instead.

I think there's a lot of similarities between him and Craig too. She definitely had an idea of what she wanted from day one, but had to go with Cubby's choice back in 95.
    You know? Why I love Brozza, I actually wouldn't have minded Sean Bean as Bond. He'd have been terrrific, imo.

I'm the same. Big Brosnan fan but I think Bean would have been just as good if not better. Can't say I'm not happy with the way things turned out though. Love Brosnan as Bond and love Bean as Trevelayn. One of the best Bond/villain parings.
    Agreed. And I meant while, not why. Haha!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Although I'm more a Craig man than a Brozzer man I think history will be kinder to Brosnan as Bond. I like him in the role as opposed to loving him in the role (as I do Connery, Craig and Moore).

Had to mention Connery in this post as it's effectively his thread
    Although I'm more a Craig man than a Brozzer man I think history will be kinder to Brosnan as Bond. I like him in the role as opposed to loving him in the role (as I do Connery, Craig and Moore).

Had to mention Connery in this post as it's effectively his thread

I loved Brozza in the role back in the day and still have a soft spot for him. I'll put that down to being of an influential age when I first saw GE. When I see him in other films I still instinctively think "Bond".

That said I agree with you on Connery, Craig and Moore being the best three.

Although I'm more a Craig man than a Brozzer man I think history will be kinder to Brosnan as Bond.
    I think it already is, at least as far as I'm concerned.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    bondjames wrote: »
    Although I'm more a Craig man than a Brozzer man I think history will be kinder to Brosnan as Bond.

What do you mean? Don't you have Brosnan at the bottom of the pack?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883

What do you mean? Don't you have Brosnan at the bottom of the pack?
    Yes that's still the case but I'm longing for a return to the larger than life, more light hearted and slightly campier tone of his films, even if not the performances. Someone who wears the suits well too.
    Fair enough. I do want a return to that and am beginning to appreciate my childhood Bond Brosnan more now. I wonder if I'd ever rank him above Craig. No doubt Craig had better "acting" but that doesn't mean he's the better Bond.
    Fair enough. I do want a return to that and am beginning to appreciate my childhood Bond Brosnan more now. I wonder if I'd ever rank him above Craig. No doubt Craig had better "acting" but that doesn't mean he's the better Bond.
    Craig is well suited to a certain kind of Bond depiction, but not so well suited (literally as well as figuratively) to the direction they have to head towards rather than where they've come from (imho of course).

Connery on the other hand could do whatever they asked him to do exceedingly well. Part of that was down to his look and natural style and part of it was just down to his personality which shone through in the films. With Bond more than other characters, sometimes it's not what you 'act' but rather who you 'are'. So much of it is swagger and persona.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    @bondjames - Yep. I think Brosnan will be better remembered as an icon of Bond. Craig I'm not sure I see that being the case ten or fifteen years after his retirement.

Also I believe Brosnan was revered in his day as well. Like Craig, it was thought that he might surpass Connery even. I think that's just a thing for the incumbent Bond, and the immediately preceding Bond is always given flak.

I now bounce between Brosnan and Craig for 3rd and 4th as Bond. I'm quite settled on my first and last two.
    I agree @ForYourEyesOnly . They always compare the incumbent to Connery. It's 'the thing' to do. I'm sure it happened with Dalton as well given his more rugged depiction, although I can't remember. The last Bond always takes flak too in order to build up the new one. That's always the way it goes. Tough business.

One day I hope the media call someone 'the next Moore'.
    @bondjames - Dalton was a bit before my time in terms of actually going to the cinema, but I don't recall Bond being a particularly huge phenomenon then. But I guess you don't pay attention to everything as a kid.

However, I have heard that the "ahead of his time" arguments for Dalton are revisionist and he was simply not as attractive as Connery or Moore were at the box office. For instance, was there a reason for LTK not coming out on top of the box office scuffle in 1989 other than just the production not being as attractive as other Bonds? There were other years that were full of huge blockbusters like 1977 where TSWLM did just fine. I recall marketing issues on LTK's part but still, it seems as if Dalton just wasn't as appealing. His debut as Bond wasn't very successful relative to other films of the year despite enjoying a coincidence with the 25th year anniversary. It was similar to LALD, except LALD was competing with the likes of The Exorcist and The Sting which TLD wasn't.

Regarding Moore, I love him (my favourite) but I don't think he's popular or iconic enough in today's world to justify that. Unless of course, the next Bond is being played in a similar vein to Moore. But in terms of quality of the character, I think it's natural to defer to the man who defined the character: Connery.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 19,339
    @bondjames - Dalton was a bit before my time in terms of actually going to the cinema, but I don't recall Bond being a particularly huge phenomenon then. But I guess you don't pay attention to everything as a kid.

However, I have heard that the "ahead of his time" arguments for Dalton are revisionist and he was simply not as attractive as Connery or Moore were at the box office. For instance, was there a reason for LTK not coming out on top of the box office scuffle in 1989 other than just the production not being as attractive as other Bonds? There were other years that were full of huge blockbusters like 1977 where TSWLM did just fine.

I saw both of Dalton's films at the cinema,and they weren't greatly received at the time.
    I think they didn't like the total about turn from Moore's Bond to Dalton's.

And TLD isn't the most exciting Bond film ,although I do remember the PTS got a very good response.

Also TLD does need to be concentrated on and people didn't go to Bond films at the time for that,they went for action,stunts,quips and all the other regular Bond features.
    @ForYourEyesOnly, despite what his fans insist upon in this forum, I don't remember Dalton being a phenomenon either, although I too never saw any of his films in the theatre. I lived in the UK then and LTK certainly didn't make the kind of splash that the Craig films do these days. I remember it being all about Batman during the summer of 1989.

No doubt Dalton's more 'real' and 'down to earth' portrayal wasn't as commercially appealing as Connery/Moore, but then again I don't think that's what they were necessarily going for in the late 80's. They were facing a period of decline in box office that actually began during the later Moore years. The film market was changing (with far more rugged heroes like McClane, Riggs et al) and Bond was trying to find his place within it. Repositioning, if you will. I think the long absence before GE actually helped to resuscitate Bond (taking nothing away from Brosnan's cool) because it made people long for the suave, stylish English hero that nobody else could emulate and who had been missing from the big screen for so long.

I'll always remember my personal excitement at watching the GE teaser for the first time. It was like an old friend was back who had been missing since Moore retired.
    @barryt007 - Indeed. I remember reading a review which mentioned Dalton turning in a fine performance but nobody left the theatre shaken or stirred. There was something about the other actors that brought Bond to life in a way that Dalton never did. He channeled the Fleming spirit well but I think he wasn't able to portray the cinematic aspect in the same way, and of course we watch Bond films for the latter.

Craig married that Fleming energy with cinema appeal, so I prefer him over Dalton.
    @ForYourEyesOnly, despite what his fans insist upon in this forum, I don't remember Dalton being a phenomenon either, although I too never saw any of his films in the theatre. I lived in the UK then and LTK certainly didn't make the kind of splash that the Craig films do these days. I remember it being all about Batman during the summer of 1989.

No doubt Dalton's more 'real' and 'down to earth' portrayal wasn't as commercially appealing as Connery/Moore, but then again I don't think that's what they were necessarily going for in the late 80's. They were facing a period of decline in box office that actually began during the later Moore years. The film market was changing (with far more rugged heroes like McClane, Riggs et al) and Bond was trying to find his place within it. Repositioning, if you will. I think the long absence before GE actually helped to resuscitate Bond (taking nothing away from Brosnan's cool) because it made people long for the suave, stylish English hero that nobody else could emulate and who had been missing from the big screen for so long.

I'll always remember my personal excitement at watching the GE teaser for the first time. It was like an old friend was back who had been missing since Moore retired.

Yeah, to an extent I feel really bad for Dalton since he put so much effort into it. But that also validates the idea that he might've been "miscast" in a sense. I know that's probably controversial as lots of people consider him the closest to Fleming's Bond, but as I see it that plays second fiddle to the cinematic aspects of Bond. If you can't nail the latter, it doesn't matter if you have the former. You won't be raking in the audiences. And I guess that was the situation with Dalton.

AVTAK did slip to unprecedented lows of the box office for its time, but from watching interviews then it seemed to be regarded as a blockbuster in that time. Something I don't know if I could say for Dalton's two efforts.

FYEO and OP had diminishing returns but still sized up well compared to other movies at the time. And I think it's all relative, so they did well to be premier films of their years.
    Maybe we should continue this in the Dalton thread ,before we get told to sit on the naughty step,as this thread is about Sir Sean .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Maybe we should continue this in the Dalton thread ,before we get told to sit on the naughty step,as this thread is about Sir Sean .

Belittling other actors is in the spirit of the thread.

Belittling other actors is in the spirit of the thread.

Good point !