The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Woman of Straw. Very hard to get a hold of but Connery is brilliant in it.

Zardoz as insane as it gets lol
    I haven't seen it, but that famous photo of him in a loincloth from the film is enough to put anyone off.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    It does have the legend known as Miles O'keefe!!!
    Actually, Peter Cushing has a small part,which, IMO makes it worth watching at least once.

I hope Sean's pay check was good lol I remember Miles in a Bo Derek travesty I can't remember which one it was.

I haven't seen it, but that famous photo of him in a loincloth from the film is enough to put anyone off.

I own the film it's worth watching for John Boormans deep end directing, I like some of Boormans films though he admitted himself he was not with it during Zardoz
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have a little more money I can spend on movies.

I would like to get one movie of each Bond actor outside their Bond catalogue.

Nothing that is dramatically different to Bond unless it's really considered one of the best.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions for Sean Connery as I have almost no knowledge about the man outside of Bond.
    I know Marnie and love it.

THE HILL (1965)
    THE ANDERSON TAPES (1971)
    THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (1975)
    THE UNTOUCHABLES (1987)
    INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1989)
    THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER (1990)
    THE ROCK (1996)

Concur on all of the above.

Robin and Marian is a worthy addition
    Finding Forrester
    Entrapment has its moments
    The Name Of The Rose...how'd that get missed out.
    A Bridge Too Far.

Actually, Peter Cushing has a small part,which, IMO makes it worth watching at least once.

I hope Sean's pay check was good lol I remember Miles in a Bo Derek travesty I can't remember which one it was.

I own the film it's worth watching for John Boormans deep end directing, I like some of Boormans films though he admitted himself he was not with it during Zardoz

Miles O'keefe was Tarzan in the 1981 Bo Derek remake of TARZAN THE APE MAN. So awful you have to see it to believe it. At the same time, that kind of makes it cool.
    I'd also take into account The Russia House (not great but a still a solid spy thriller) and Rising Sun (a very stylish film, I think).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Miles O'keefe was Tarzan in the 1981 Bo Derek remake of TARZAN THE APE MAN. So awful you have to see it to believe it. At the same time, that kind of makes it cool.

I have watched it back in the Dark ages, cheers ;) I remember the dialogue being almost none existent. In the 80's I watched Bo Derek films for some reason
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'd also take into account The Russia House (not great but a still a solid spy thriller) and Rising Sun (a very stylish film, I think).

I watched The Russia House at the cinema, a Bond connection from NSNA good cast ok movie.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    A lot of films !
    At least I know I won't purchase Sword of the Valiant then ha ha.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Woman of Straw. That's the one I'd go after and I find it superior to Marnie. It's my favourite Sean Connery film and I regard it as his greatest performance. Yes, I love it more than his Bonds all combined.
    Woman of Straw. That's the one I'd go after and I find it superior to Marnie. It's my favourite Sean Connery film and I regard it as his greatest performance. Yes, I love it more than his Bonds all combined.
    +1. Connery is on fire here. Looks like he came right out of FRWL.
    Sadly Woman of Straw is not on iTunes.

Everything else is there it seems. Oh the irony.

Still not certain what to get though....it's a lot. I can buy two though as most films seem to be rather reasonably priced.
    +1. Connery is on fire here. Looks like he came right out of FRWL.
    Precisely! That charming yet malicious mannerism he had without losing his sophistication... It's a crime what that man did to himself just to break out of the Bond mould. He should've starred in sophisticated films like these rather than doing pieces like A Fine Madness or the abysmal Zardoz.
    The Hill and The Anderson Tapes are films I often rewatch
    I know from his comments that @BondJasonBond006 (Jason) was a lover of film in general. He doesn't have any Connery or Moore films you could borrow?
    Try before you buy as it were ;)
    Btw how is Jason doing @Andi1996Ruegg ? Have you seen him recently?
    I know Jase has got a ton of Blu-rays at home.

Problem is I can't deal with physical discs. I need purchased downloads because I can take the films with me and watch them in my army bunk in the evenings on my wonderful Apple notebook.
    Love the fact I got Sound of Music on Blu-ray, but I've purchased it on iTunes for the same reason :)
    Of course when I'm back at University I can borrow all I want from Jase and Tomi :D
    Jase is recovering @Benny and it will take time. Ups and downs, the downs are difficult to handle though. Nothing is the same as before.
    Well he's very lucky to have a great support group. Something this forum has never failed to impress me with.
    What are the downs that affect him? Is he still having heart issues. Medicine was never an area I enjoyed studying.
    Are there any things that he enjoys, or bring him up? Maybe something we can help with?
    Well, ok.
    Got two Brosnan's, one Craig, two of Moore's.

Should I go for Sword of the Valiant then :P

Anderson Tapes is from 71, same as DAF and I love DAF. Should I go with that?
    Definitely go for The Anderson Tapes.
    I don't know... I think there are better ones. The Hill, for one.
    Ok, I will.
    Glad the films are all so reasonably priced. I'll be able to buy another batch, first I'll watch the 6 I got now.
    Do tell us how you liked them!
    I've never had a problem with Sean's hair in the films. My favorites are his styles for GF and TB, not only because they help him look his best but also because I love how a comma of the hairpiece hangs on his right side like Fleming's Bond. In GF the comma is really pronounced, and I love it. I'm not as big a fan of his slicked back hair in DN and FRWL in comparison, but he wears it well.

DAF is alright, but by that point he really started to look like an old man so any quality of the hairpiece is diminished by everything else.

I liked his hair in both GF and TB as well. I think GF toupee gives him a more V shaped hairline, which I think is more realistic. He'd have that hairline again in DAF .
    Actually, Sean's haircut is appropriate for Fleming's Bond in all his films. The comma hanging above his eyebrow in GF looks great. The top and front is a bit longer in both DN and FRWL, probably because he was starting to thin out.

One detail very true to Fleming's era was that Sean's nape was tapered in all the films except NSNA (squared).
    Fleming's Bond would have had a tapered neck as most men did in the 50's, Fleming himself included. Squaring it off or blocking didn't become as common until the late 60's, and early '70's. LALD for instance was the only film in which Roger's was tapered (as seen when he's making M's coffee). By TSWLM most definitely blocked in a rounded shape and Bond wouldn't be seen again with a nice taper until the Craig era.
    Sorry, just got round to seeing these posts on Connery's appearance. Another thing that aged him more was the lack of grooming to his eyebrows. Dr, No, FRWL, GF, TB and YOLT he had his eyebrows drastically shaved, plucked and shaped. It was in DAF that they appear more bushy and less groomed. I think this was a major contributing factor to Connery looking older in this movie. I believe reading that it was his second wife that advised Connery to have them shaved and tinted for his reappearance in NSNA.
    The Anderson Tapes is especially cool as it has Connery in a rare villain role and you also get the bonus of having future Bond villain Christopher Walken as one of his gang with a hippy vibe - "America, I could eat it up, man."

I could also imagine Dyan Cannon as being a decent Tiffany Case.

The thing with Connery movies is although a lot of the films themselves aren't great or even memorable as a while, he is always fascinating to watch. Family Business is a good example as he's surrounded by Dustin Hoffman and Matthew Broderick but the film itself is forgettable, but his role dominates it and makes it worth the time.
    I know it's been mentioned earlier but I quite like The Rock. Connery plays a bit of an ex-MI6 type there too, as he does in Rising Sun, which is also a great film.
    I personally prefer Entrapment to The Rock, even though I love both.
    I guess I'll add Rising Sun and The Rock to my library. They sound very interesting and I like to have something of Connery after his run as Bond.

Perhaps, but the film is still worth seeing, especially if you like science fiction or alternate world stories. There's a lot of insane stuff in Zardoz, but that's because it's a fearless and inventive film that isn't afraid to occasionally look silly. Sometimes it's a blast to watch a film that doesn't play it safe. Boorman was--and is--a master director, so the film is ravishing to look at on Blu-Ray. Zardoz has more ideas in it--good, bad, and silly ones--than most movies. Don't let a silly costume prevent you from watching it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Highlander, Robin and Marion, Outlander, The Great Train Robery, The Man Who Woukd Be King, The untouchables , Rising Sun, the Hunt for Red October, The Anderson Tapes, The Name of the Rose....so many
    Revelator wrote: »

Perhaps, but the film is still worth seeing, especially if you like science fiction or alternate world stories. There's a lot of insane stuff in Zardoz, but that's because it's a fearless and inventive film that isn't afraid to occasionally look silly. Sometimes it's a blast to watch a film that doesn't play it safe. Boorman was--and is--a master director, so the film is ravishing to look at on Blu-Ray. Zardoz has more ideas in it--good, bad, and silly ones--than most movies. Don't let a silly costume prevent you from watching it.
    Thanks. I honestly know nothing about it so your comments have me intrigued. I'll definitely check it out soon.
    Thanks. I honestly know nothing about it so your comments have me intrigued. I'll definitely check it out soon.

Glad to be of service. Let us know what you think after you see it!