The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

The Rock is a classic, one of the '90s best action movies. I never tire of it. Whatever became of the Michael Bay who made that film?

Connery and Cage play off one another well, two of my favorite actors together. Connery's line about losers always whining about their best is one of my favorites.

Entrapment was just okay. Not a fan of Catherine Zeta-Jones in this. It and the Thomas Crown affair felt very similar. There were an awful lot of heist films in the late '90s and early 2000s.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I always place the Thomas Crown remake and Entrapment in a Double Bill. Goes really well.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I've grown to really enjoy The Rock over the years, but I still prefer Entrapment. The lead actors, the locations, the glamour, Christopher Young's delicate piano/strings score... just a film that goes perfectly with brandy, a cigar and a smoking jacket, if you know what I mean.

I actually really like the scene in The Rock with the daughter. Great acting from Connery and I don't remember having a problem with the writing or anything.

I agree Mason isn't that Bond like. He has Bond's charisma and some suaveness, but he's a little rough around the edges. I love when, after breaking the glass in the interrogation room, he does the peace sign right before they beat him up. Very funny. I mention it because it's something Bond would never do!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    You know, it's regrettable that Connery didn't get to do The Thomas Crown Affair. Ever since learning of his rejection of the role (which he later regretted), I can't watch that film and not think about what could've been. But, imagine an alternate universe where he got to keep his rugged gentlemanly adventurer's outlook (a la FRWL and Woman of Straw) and got to star in the film as the titular character opposite Charlotte Rampling as the insurance investigator, Victoria (not Vikki) Anderson.

76AdYwJ.jpg

farewellmylovely00010.jpg

GemWOim.jpg

screen-shot-2016-09-05-at-12-05-28-pm.png?w=1024

rpHYmzv.jpg

@bondjames, your opinion, mate?

Please tell me you have seen this alternate cut of The Thomas Crown Affair, and where I can get my copy.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,423
    You know, it's regrettable that Connery didn't get to do The Thomas Crown Affair. Ever since learning of his rejection of the role (which he later regretted), I can't watch that film and not think about what could've been. But, imagine an alternate universe where he got to keep his rugged gentlemanly adventurer's outlook (a la FRWL and Woman of Straw) and got to star in the film as the titular character opposite Charlotte Rampling as the insurance investigator, Victoria (not Vikki) Anderson.

76AdYwJ.jpg

GemWOim.jpg

rpHYmzv.jpg

Please tell me you have seen this alternate cut of The Thomas Crown Affair, and where I can get my copy.
    One day, Major. One day.

Though, you don't mind if the film is computer-animated, do you? :))

All kidding aside, I actually was thinking about making a trailer for it, using footage with Rampling and Connery in the place of Faye and McQueen.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

76AdYwJ.jpg

GemWOim.jpg

rpHYmzv.jpg

One day, Major. One day.

All kidding aside, I actually was thinking about making a trailer for it, using footage with Rampling and Connery in the place of Faye and McQueen.

CGI Charlotte.... no, I don't mind at all.

76AdYwJ.jpg

GemWOim.jpg

rpHYmzv.jpg

One day, Major. One day.

I'll send you the 3D character model, confidentially. ;)

Just make sure Mrs Smythe (nee Love-Hewitt) doesn't see it.

76AdYwJ.jpg

GemWOim.jpg

rpHYmzv.jpg

One day, Major. One day.

I'll send you the 3D character model, confidentially. ;)

Just make sure Mrs Smythe (nee Love-Hewitt) doesn't see it.

Good idea, you'd better send them to my P.O. Box.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Never knew Connery turned TTCA down. Live and learn.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Are there images from inside his flat? Wonder how a young pre/early Bond Connery lived in the early 60's!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I've never seen images inside Sean's old flat. I remember Shelly Winters, in one of her autobiographies (I think first one) wrote about it being the tiniest flat she'd ever seen (something like that). I don't know which year so not at all sure it would be this same flat either.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,279
    I've never seen images inside Sean's old flat. I remember Shelly Winters, in one of her autobiographies (I think first one) wrote about it being the tiniest flat she'd ever seen (something like that). I don't know which year so not at all sure it would be this same flat either.

Interesting! I guess it didn't take long for Connery to move to a bigger place once he became Bond. Would have been fun to see how the flat looked like.
    Was that flat in Acton Town (my mom got scared there , lol)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Was this ever posted here before? I love this story. :D
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Was this ever posted here before? I love this story. :D

That is a well known story among fans, but I've also heard a variation that Connery actually punched Stompanato and concerned producers put Connery on a plane out of the country so Stompanato and backup didn't return. So who knows the full story. Either way, it showed Big Tam was a bad@$$ before he was a big star.
    Connery was threatened himself later, and Stompanato's higher ups made him disappear for a while and not work in known productions. Lana Turner herself denied the story in her autobiography, however, which is something I don't buy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 40,462
    This might've been shared already elsewhere - James Bond Brazil shared it on Facebook I believed - but here's a recent pic of Sean with his granddaughter:

37543119_969794126520343_1262173051571666944_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=ada15b7e3b964bf4ea30e042ace3b1ff&oe=5BF09B71
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    This might've been shared already elsewhere - James Bond Brazil shared it on Facebook I believed - but here's a recent pic of Sean with his granddaughter:

37543119_969794126520343_1262173051571666944_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=ada15b7e3b964bf4ea30e042ace3b1ff&oe=5BF09B71

Looking good.
    My granddad used to wear exactly the same kind of clothes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This picture makes me happy.
    That facial expression almost makes him look like Mickey G.
    Finished rewatching FIRST KNIGHT with the girlfriend about 5 minutes ago. The film barely holds up--I rewatched THE UNTOUCHABLES the other day and that one doesn't look like it's aged a bit--but Sean is magnificent as King Arthur. His very presence commands obedience.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Finished rewatching FIRST KNIGHT with the girlfriend about 5 minutes ago. The film barely holds up--I rewatched THE UNTOUCHABLES the other day and that one doesn't look like it's aged a bit--but Sean is magnificent as King Arthur. His very presence commands obedience.

Essentially my thoughts on both. The Untouchables fires on all cylinders throughout, I love that movie.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Same here.

How much screentime does he have?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Great uncle Sean looking good.
    Yes, good to see Sean looking happy and contented in his old age. Not sure many movies stars get that happy old age. A life very well lived I think.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Same here.

How much screentime does he have?

Sean has a lot of screentime in both. First Knight can legitimately be called a Connery film.
  • The Great Sir Sean Connery, the first official James Bond 007 and the most famous/liked, yet one of the most unknowns here