The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    https://www.slashfilm.com/sean-connery-roles/

They use an interesting comparison between Connery and John Wayne in the article above, and I agree. When one watches the early Bond films in the context of the era and the other leading men of that time one can see how Connery was different, & just a little more rugged and sturdy in comparison to his contemporaries. This was a key differentiator. Yet he still wore those Anthony Sinclair conduit cut suits so well, and that was the trick imho. He perfectly straddled the middle ground between adventurous swashbuckler and polished, educated government spy.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It was why critics at the time of Dr No bemoaned the fact you couldn't distinguish the heroes from the villains. Connery was rugged, tough and not averse to a few dirty tricks.

A real game changing performance.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,882
    Attenborough assembled one hell of a cast for that fine film, and not just the Brits. ;)

- So the poisonous critter was moving like this all over the hotel room. I grabbed hold of whatever I could and tried to defend myself.
    - Tarantulas sure can be nasty, Sean.
    - I was talking about Klebb.

A film starring these two would have been fantastic, and not just in an ensemble piece.

Two of my favourite actors.
    NicNac wrote: »

A film starring these two would have been fantastic, and not just in an ensemble piece.

Two of my favourite actors.

Actors with a capital A! Would have been fun to see Gene Hackman as Leiter in one of the Connery films, actually.
    Two superpowers in the world of acting for sure.
    If there was no Sean Connery as James Bond in DR NO the series would not have been the success it is.

dr-no-dent-execution.jpg?w=690
    001 wrote: »
    If there was no Sean Connery as James Bond in DR NO the series would not have been the success it is.

Well said. We might not even be talking about on these forums today without Sean.
    Connery and Hackman are heavyweights in the world of acting. Their screen presence is off the charts. I miss them both these days. Neither was afraid to speak their mind about the decline of standards in Hollywood, and they both started to withdraw from acting as a result of changes in the business, regrettably.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Connery and Hackman are heavyweights in the world of acting. Their screen presence is off the charts. I miss them both these days. Neither was afraid to speak their mind about the decline of standards in Hollywood, and they both started to withdraw from acting as a result of changes in the business, regrettably.

That didn't occur to me! Actors rarely retire from the screen. I believe Joe Pesci may have? And one or two more, but when it comes to the big guns these are the two who stand out.
    Great actors as leading men and character actors. More than anything they were great stars. And they stood by their principles, both retiring from screen acting.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

^THIS is what James Bond is supposed to be.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    doubleoego wrote: »

^THIS is what James Bond is supposed to be.
    Hear hear.

I agree about them, and accurate summary of the situation.

We could really use more stars like these.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    mattjoes wrote: »

The legendary Kevin Costner would agree with @bondjames, as he has said in several interviews that the best actor he's ever worked with is Gene Hackman, and the biggest movie star he's ever worked with is Sean Connery.

The legendary Kevin Costner would agree with @bondjames, as he has said in several interviews that the best actor he's ever worked with is Gene Hackman, and the biggest movie star he's ever worked with is Sean Connery.

Right! That's an especially interesting comment, I find, in that while Hackman has great screen presence and a certain defined persona, to some extent he seems to "get out of the way" of the roles he plays. He is a star, but almost a character star. I think even he himself has said something to that effect in interviews. He just plays the role. Connery, while verstatile, projects a slightly stronger movie star vibe. To put it another way, he pulls the roles he plays toward him, while Hackman is pulled to them.

Right! That's an especially interesting comment, I find, in that while Hackman has great screen presence and a certain defined persona, to some extent he seems to "get out of the way" of the roles he plays. He is a star, but almost a character star. I think even he himself has said something to that effect in interviews. He just plays the role. Connery, while verstatile, projects a slightly stronger movie star vibe. To put it another way, he pulls the roles he plays toward him, while Hackman is pulled to them.
    Nicely observed. I agree with that.

I've been meaning to watch The Firm again soon. Hackman is excellent in that and it's a great example of him oozing charisma without stealing the show.

Sean Connery was the best actor and the biggest movie star that Kevin Costner has worked with. ?
    Gene Hackman is soooooo good in Crimson Tide.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,686
    What a great film this was! It's been ages since I've seen it because I don't have it on blu. I must get to it again soon.
    I always see the Rock as Connerys last Bond film
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Just because he's a former British spy?

Bond and John Patrick Mason couldn't be any more different.

Now, Entrapment's Robert MacDougal... That's completely a different story.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    "You're a woman of many partsh Pushey"