The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Interesting thoughts from Sir Sean, from 2007

That s funny. He speaks his mind, was never scared of that.

Watching Hell Drivers 1957 a film I have not watched previously, a very young Sir Sean has a supporting role, he appears a few times in the trailer.
    hell%2Bdrivers%2Bsid%2Bjames.jpg
    The film has an impressive cast which includes Sid James, Patrick Mcgoohan, Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, Gordon Jackson, David Mcallum and William Hartnell.

Excellent movie I will certainly be buying this gem.

Hell Drivers is excellent. Always thought there were similarities between Connery and Baxter as well.
    Getafix wrote: »

Watching Hell Drivers 1957 a film I have not watched previously, a very young Sir Sean has a supporting role, he appears a few times in the trailer.
    The film has an impressive cast which includes Sid James, Patrick Mcgoohan, Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, Gordon Jackson, David Mcallum and William Hartnell.

Hell Drivers is excellent. Always thought there were similarities between Connery and Baxter as well.

That really is an impressive cast, will have to watch this at some point!
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 11,425
    I haven't seen it for years but remember it making a big impact. It has a bit of a political dimension I seem to remember but that is lightly handled and just works very well on the level of thriller/action/psychological drama.

And Sid James in a serious role as well - feel we should have more of that from him. Always loved Sid James.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Agree they do have a similar look, there were three potential Bonds I thought in the Hell Drivers cast.

One thing that struck me immediately was Sean's screen presence, he owned pretty much every scene he was in with far more experienced actors around him.

Agree they do have a similar look, there were three potential Bonds I thought in the Hell Drivers cast.

One thing that struck me immediately was Sean's screen presence, he owned pretty much every scene he was in with far more experienced actors around him.

Whatever "it" is, he's got it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    22POST-314792-0-89531800-1445634462.jpg
    89 today. Still unbeatable as Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Happy birthday, Mr. Connery.

MV5-BNz-Zh-YTRk-Nm-Ut-NWM3-NS00-Nzg1-LTlj-Nz-Yt-Y2-Ez-Mm-Zi-ZDM0-OTg4-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Nj-Uw-Nzk3-NDc-V1.jpg
    MV5-BMTMz-OTAz-Nj-Yy-M15-BMl5-Ban-Bn-Xk-Ft-ZTcw-NDU1-ODYz-NQ-V1-SY1000-CR0-0-1456-1000-AL.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Happy Birthday Sir Sean
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SIR SEAN!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited September 2019 Posts: 2,625
    Happy 89th birthday to the “BIG TAM”!

Me: I’m bringing over a couple of random Bond DVDs. Do you have a preference?
    Mom: “GOLDFINGER” !!!!
    Me: But we just saw that one last month.
    Mom: S-E-A-N C-O-N-N-E-R-Y!!!!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Happy Birthday Sean ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    424b26dfc3b240861e5570bfa4a4152c.jpg
    Happy Birthday Sir Sean

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    6hzJB7N.jpg

yGXfMQA.jpg

ggl007 wrote: »
    6hzJB7N.jpg

yGXfMQA.jpg

Maybe it's his facial expression but that top picture of Sean almost looked a bit like Mickey G.
    Belated Birthday wishes to the icon that is Sean Connery. ^:)^
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I like what he said about the hotel room
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    6hzJB7N.jpg

yGXfMQA.jpg

Maybe it's his facial expression but that top picture of Sean almost looked a bit like Mickey G.

There is a certain resemblance
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Guys. I have been thinking about this a great deal recently. We know Sean Connery is retired now. He enjoys life with his wife Micheline on New Providence. Living close to a golf court, I can imagine him spending lots of time there.

But now a proposal that I think most certainly would wet Sean's appetite. In interviews he has this clear opinion about Bond. We know he's quite fond of Daniel Craig playing the part. The physicality of the role: what he always wanted the Bond producers to do, Daniel eventually got. Sean even defended Daniel when back in 2006 tabloids were grilling Daniel as the new 'Blond Bond'. Not to mention this CraigNotBond campaign. Sir Sean Connery once also said, I think during the Edinburgh Film Festival, that he got aware of the fact Daniel was filming on the Bahama's, but that he did not want to bother the film crew there by visiting him. So the fine man is clearly following film, and Bond, in great detail. Even at this age, 89, when he's retired.

So no my question: How would Sir Sean Connery respond if EON Productions, by special request of Daniel Craig himself, invite him next April for the Royal Red Carpet Premiere of "No Time To Die" on March 30th 2020? And that EON provide him, his wife Micheline and his kids with wonderful hotel accommodations in London?

It sounds perhaps weird, but I would wanna bet that Sean would accept the invite to attend this premiere as a special goodbye to Craig's last Bond outing. I think he would do it. And I think it would be a wonderful gesture for both sides. Sir Sean Connery is now the oldest living Bond actor. We know he doesn't get any younger either (although admittedly, he's still very healthy). Can we fans not....do something? Facilitate something?
    Or is it not a nice idea :-P?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

I actually think its a great idea. The odds of it happening, however, are in the same league as me dating a supermodel :-).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Dwayne wrote: »

I actually think its a great idea. The odds of it happening, however, are in the same league as me dating a supermodel :-).

Hey, don’t underestimate yourself 😁👍🏼

talos7 wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »

Hey, don’t underestimate yourself 😁👍🏼

Hmmm, I think I have a nice idea now :-B
    I think Connery attending the premiere would be wonderful.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    While the idea is nice, it’s also incredibly doubtful as Connery’s retired from doing public appearances for a while now.
    While the idea is nice, it’s also incredibly doubtful as Connery’s retired from doing public appearances for a while now.

That's not entirely true. Connery visits the US Open frequently. He still does attendances for the Scottish National Trust. It's not like he sad "this is the end of it". Yes, he did so with acting. But not regarding all other stuff.

That's not entirely true. Connery visits the US Open frequently. He still does attendances for the Scottish National Trust. It's not like he sad "this is the end of it". Yes, he did so with acting. But not regarding all other stuff.

Maybe Connery will turn up if they do a special screening of NTTD in support of the National Trust for Scotland…?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I think the 50th anniversary SF premiere was the time this could’ve happened. I think the ship has sailed. Connery’s public appearances have been few and I don’t think he’s done any in last couple years... but if someone knows otherwise I’d be curious