The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ObannoObanno Somewhere & Everywhere
    Getafix wrote: »
    I know I'm going to be accused of Brosnan bashing but Connery just comes across as so much more thoughtful and insightful about the character. I've always said that I never really heard Pierce express who his Bond was, which always comes across on screen IMO. I think all the most successful Bonds had some idea who the character was. As many have said before on here, if in doubt, go back to the Fleming.

Interesting that Sean only read 2 of the books. Although I suspect that's still 2 more than Brozza.

Not Brosnan bashing at all. I remember seeing an interview somewhere during the filming of Goldeneye and Pierce was asked what he would bring to the role. He answered vaguely while being dismissive of Dalton's literary approach, which surprised me. Brosnan had no intention of reading or using Fleming at all (it'd be harsh to blame him considering the Dalton era was deemed a failure, but still) and it showed in his performances.

Connery was a lot more insightful about the character...he had the luxury of being influenced by Terence Young and being friends with Ian Fleming when he was alive. He didn't need to read more than two books, the experience alone must have been like reading 50 Bond books! The interview above (with the lawyer) just scratched the surface but I'd really love to hear more, especially about certain scenes and how he felt throughout the shoot of Goldfinger!

Ridiculous genius that birthed a 60 year franchise just off his portrayal alone. I salute thee Sir Sean.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Brosnan supposedly read Goldfinger, bringing it on the set of GE to get a feel for the character.

However, he does make a pretty big error when talking trivia during his DAD commentator for DVD. It’s during the scene where Bond snags a copy of “Birds of the West Indies” for his ornithologist cover. He says “Fleming has to come up with a name for the character as he was writing his first novel, Doctor No.”

Eeeeeek. Surprised EON let that pass, given how strict they are over commentary tracks.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Obanno wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I know I'm going to be accused of Brosnan bashing but Connery just comes across as so much more thoughtful and insightful about the character. I've always said that I never really heard Pierce express who his Bond was, which always comes across on screen IMO. I think all the most successful Bonds had some idea who the character was. As many have said before on here, if in doubt, go back to the Fleming.

Interesting that Sean only read 2 of the books. Although I suspect that's still 2 more than Brozza.

Not Brosnan bashing at all. I remember seeing an interview somewhere during the filming of Goldeneye and Pierce was asked what he would bring to the role. He answered vaguely while being dismissive of Dalton's literary approach, which surprised me. Brosnan had no intention of reading or using Fleming at all (it'd be harsh to blame him considering the Dalton era was deemed a failure, but still) and it showed in his performances.

Connery was a lot more insightful about the character...he had the luxury of being influenced by Terence Young and being friends with Ian Fleming when he was alive. He didn't need to read more than two books, the experience alone must have been like reading 50 Bond books! The interview above (with the lawyer) just scratched the surface but I'd really love to hear more, especially about certain scenes and how he felt throughout the shoot of Goldfinger!

Ridiculous genius that birthed a 60 year franchise just off his portrayal alone. I salute thee Sir Sean.

@Obanno Love what you said about Sean having the luxury of knowing Fleming which is better than reading any of the books.
    A recent article from Film School Rejects: "From Scotland With Force: Reflections On Connery‘s Bond Era".

"In anticipation of 'No Time To Die,' we reflect on Sean Connery's years as James Bond, how he shaped the character into a cultural icon, and what to make of the films that haven't aged as well."
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2020 Posts: 23,334

Another Time Another Place 1958 Airing in the UK Sunday 3rd 19:00 on Talking Pictures TV channel 81 on Freeview for UK viewers.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS84nV6055SrknGaSOtBwyXPP_wbhOA0prCRa_JM0NUw1A0m_IH&usqp=CAU

It's not a film I have previously watched of Sir Sean's.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks for point out this movie Fire_and_Ice_Returns as I’m also a Lana Turner fan. Unfortunately, while I’ve heard about “Another Time, Another Place” (and the sly reference made to it in TB), I never seen it – and being in the US means I can’t stream it. It currently has a 5.8 rating on IMDB (or 9.9 if you include the behind the scenes clip of Connery punching out Ms. Turner’s boyfriend 😊).
    I was hoping I could catch that too as I've never seen it, but I'm also in the U.S. That trailer was amusing. I guess they didn't want you to forget who the star was and how sensational she was.

Man, Connery had some serious eyebrows back then and a surprising amount of hair.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2020 Posts: 23,334
    @Dwayne and @BT3366

Of course the title of the film is a remark by Bond, it never occurred to me.

Lana Turner will no doubt have some of her femme fatale edge to her, I only really know Lana from the Bad and the Beautiful and The Post Man Always Rings Twice and that was years ago when I saw them, though I have the latter on DVD in storage.

Sean really did have a bit of tidying up/grooming for Dr No, those brows were a bit intense. It's remarkable how many eras in film Sean career spanned.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Another Time, Another Place was a overly dramatic piece of fluff. But it did give Connery his first big break. Although it was Darby O'Gill and the Little People that brought him to Dana Broccoli's attention.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @thedove "Another Time, Another Place" has always gotten fair/negative reviews. By this time Lana Turner's "sweater girl" fem-fatale days were mostly over. From here on she mostly stared in "women's pictures" like Peyton Place (1957).

As for "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"....Connery sings, Connery Dances :-)

edited May 2020 Posts: 23,334
    I watched Darby O' Gill when I was a kid, though my distaste of musicals mean I never watched it again. It's currently free to watch on Amazon Prime, simply to see Sean in it I should give it a go, whether I make it through the whole movie is another matter.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @thedove "Another Time, Another Place" has always gotten fair/negative reviews. By this time Lana Turner's "sweater girl" fem-fatale days were mostly over. From here on she mostly stared in "women's pictures" like Peyton Place (1957).

As for "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"....Connery sings, Connery Dances :-)

Sean's singing is on a par with Clint Eastwood's... ;))

I had this on single with Lee Marvin's I Was Born Under A Wandering Star on the A side.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    But Sean made his peace with Cubby (as far as I know) on Cubby‘s deathbed. I think it was a mistake by Cubby and Harry to not pay Connery more which they would‘ve easily recouped by the films to come. And Connery was, imho, overly bitter about it for too long.

But looking at these interviews ... how could someone not be a Connery fan. Really cool and dry wit right until his old days. A star for many good reasons.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.

Released on blu-ray this month, Action of the Tiger (1957) , directed by Terence Young co-starring Anthony Dawson and..... Sean Connery:

Martine Carol was not very impressed by her leading man, Van Johnson, and many years later, said that it would have been a better movie if the unknown Sir Sean Connery (who had a supporting role in it) had been cast in Johnson's part.
    source: IMDB Trivia Action of the Tiger (1957)

Who has seen this movie? Is it worth a view?
    JWPepper wrote: »
    Released on blu-ray this month, Action of the Tiger (1957) , directed by Terence Young co-starring Anthony Dawson and..... Sean Connery:

Martine Carol was not very impressed by her leading man, Van Johnson, and many years later, said that it would have been a better movie if the unknown Sir Sean Connery (who had a supporting role in it) had been cast in Johnson's part.

I have a VHS copy of it taped from TCM. It's been years since I've seen it, and just incidentally digitised my VHS copy of it. I remember it being okay without being brilliant, nothing to shout home about. Is it coming out on Blu-ray in the UK? Would love to finally have it in its full widescreen frame rather than 4:3 pan and scan.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,883
    I saw Action of the Tiger years ago just to see Connery as a wild man, I think on some cable channel in the early days of us having it. He's not in it much, but for some reason I stuck with it. Forgettable, but not a regrettable watch, I guess. I'd probably watch it again if it were on and I was around.

I had more fun when I DVRd The Hell Drivers with not just Connery but all the other actors who went on to more prominent careers.
    Never saw this film, but I’ve seen this trailer before and always thought Connery’s fake grunt after getting shot with an arrow was a fun bit of bad acting. It’s weird to see him in nothing roles pre-Bond.

• JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 512
    JWPepper wrote: »

I have a VHS copy of it taped from TCM. It's been years since I've seen it, and just incidentally digitised my VHS copy of it. I remember it being okay without being brilliant, nothing to shout home about. Is it coming out on Blu-ray in the UK? Would love to finally have it in its full widescreen frame rather than 4:3 pan and scan.

Unfortunately not in the UK. Bluray review here:https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Action-of-the-Tiger-Blu-ray/266015/
    Excellent image quality.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Why has Sean Connery spaced all his books out?

He's been shelf isolating.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2020 Posts: 45,489
    https://www.nb.no/items/f3dff5e52095e55f1406890bb65eb26d?page=23&searchText=

For Scandinavian readers.

Most interesting comment from Connery: " In my five previous films, there was lots of drama and action all the time, and people came back to watch them again and again. That was what made money. In Lazenby s OHMSS, there is too much talking. People get tired, and don t come back."

On the other hand, he says that his latest Skakespeare film interests him more than Bond, artistically.

Most interesting comment from Connery: " In my five previous films, there was lots of drama and action all the time, and people came back to watch them again and again. That was what made money. In Lazenby s OHMSS, there is too much talking. People get tired, and don t come back."

On the other hand, he says that his latest Skakespeare film interests him more than Bond, artistically.

That's cool! I'll grab the pages featuring Connery and post them on the Rare and unseen Bond photos , images and posters thread.

That says a lot for those wishing for him in OHMSS. I wonder if he's watched it since or has any inkling of its place in Bond fandom. Not likely, I guess.

No surprise at all that Shakespeare interests him more than Bond. Most things artistically probably interested him more than Bond.
    Doesnt affect me much , its like wrestler Ultimate Warrior : he hated the wrestling biz , did it for the money only. Doesnt mean i cannot enjoy UW the character however.

So if Sean is not a huge Bond fan it doesnt shatter my world ;)
    As I recall, Connery's comments on OHMSS have been all over the place--it would be interesting to compare all of them. Here he's obviously trying to find a reason for the film under-performing aside from "because I wasn't in it."
    But considering that he wanted greater acting challenges from the Bond films, I doubt he would have objected to having more dialogue in OHMSS if he'd decided to make the film.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,018
    I'm very late to the thread discussing the greatest Bond of all.
    Others have played and will continue to play Bond... but Connery IS Bond, simple as that.
    Goldfinger is the film where he clearly seems to enjoy himself the most but for me he gives his greatest performance in Thunderball.
    Everything in this movie just clicks perfectly - the quips, the charisma, the nonchalance. Each of his (quite different) dance scenes with Domino and Fiona, as well as the sequences leading to them, are a delight to watch and rank among my favorite Bond moments.
    I adore YOLT but have to aknowledge, as many other have stated, that he looked a bit uninterested in that film.
    And I wish he had never done DAF - I loved that movie as a kid but now I cringe when I watch it.
    Maybe if you look at DAF as a spoof its easier to digest :)
    Funny, to me he looks like he had the most fun in DAF and that actually increases my liking of the film.
    Funny, to me he looks like he had the most fun in DAF and that actually increases my liking of the film.
    Exactly, I've always looked at it this way too. He was getting paid well, knew he would get the royal treatment from everybody and didn't have the lengthy shoot and would walk away afterwards. I'm not sure he even did much if any publicity afterward either.

He did publicity. By all accounts, he was very collaborative and professional when returning to DAF once the UA deal was struck.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Dr-No-Dinner-Suit.jpg
    du8NP.jpg
    MV5-BNWE4-OTYw-Yj-Et-ODRk-Ni00-Nz-A5-LTk4-ZGMt-YTE3-OTNk-OTUw-OTVj-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Nj-Uw-Nzk3.jpg
    The-Hunt-for-Red-October.jpg
    MV5-BMTMz-OTAz-Nj-Yy-M15-BMl5-Ban-Bn-Xk-Ft-ZTcw-NDU1-ODYz-NQ-V1-SY1000-CR0-0-1456-1000-AL.jpg

Happy 90th birthday, Sir Sean!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Happy 90th birthday Mr Connery :)
    How time flies. Would love to see a recent picture of him and he looks now.