The Official Halloween thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I might pick 'The Thing' if i have time.

Can't go wrong there, either. I can't wait to fire it up, been a year or so.
    Been 2 years for me so i have even forgot parts of it !
    That's the best way to revisit a movie! It'll be tough for me to forget this one, but it's always a blast and those practical effects and animatronics simply never fail to impress and wow me.
    I've always dreamed of doing what Grandpa Phil did in Hey Arnold! and offering a bowl full of live worms to the trick or treaters. Maybe this is the night...
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That's the best way to revisit a movie! It'll be tough for me to forget this one, but it's always a blast and those practical effects and animatronics simply never fail to impress and wow me.

And of course the brilliant Kurt Russell !!

And of course the brilliant Kurt Russell !!

Plus he immediately solidifies how cool he's going to be by drowning his computer in whiskey after it beats him in chess.
    hahaha i love that scene....he is awesome in that film (as he always it tbh ).
  • Kurt is a legend of horror cinema. Just about the only thing that makes Death Proof watchable.
    Kurt is a legend of horror cinema. Just about the only thing that makes Death Proof watchable.

I swear I'm the sole human being on this planet that flat out loves/has no issues with this movie. Even Tarantino seems to hate it a little bit.
    Kurt is a legend of horror cinema. Just about the only thing that makes Death Proof watchable.

I swear I'm the sole human being on this planet that flat out loves/has no issues with this movie. Even Tarantino seems to hate it a little bit.

I love 'Death Proof'.....is not popular then ?!
    That surprises me big time !
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Wtaching the original Halloween now...love the music..the best,Laurie looking at all the kids trick or treating.

Ditto.
    @barryt007, majority of people (hell, everyone I've talked to) seems to hate it/regard it as its weakest. I may agree with the latter, but it's not remotely bad or unenjoyable to me.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

He does. He's minced no words about it being his least favorite work.

I do like it more than I let on. The car chase is unbelievably good. But there's a whole lot of nothing going on too. Way too much nothing for its running time. Might be a good film to have on in the background while cooking or something.
    I've never had a problem with "nothing going on" in Tarantino's universe. The dialogue and interaction is simply way too good for me to ever become bored or tired. Hell, past that few-second car crash (and the fate of McGowan's character), the movie is nothing but talking and story sharing until the finale, and it's totally fine by me.

Having said that, I know not everyone will agree, and can accept why most either don't care for it or regard it as pretty weak compared to the rest of his filmography.

I'm also hopeful that we get Tarantino's Manson Family film by the end of 2018.
  • That is a trademark of Tarantino's films—the talking and the nothingness, as in Seinfeld—but neither the performances (Kurt, Rose aside) nor the quality of the writing are there for me in Death Proof. Hence a lot of interminable nothingness for me, occasionally offset by the gorgeous MEW.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Happy Halloween everyone!

23167746_1927773307475001_8489627388677952158_n.jpg?oh=f1dbd7bc5c8c9aaddd7616367d6feaae&oe=5A7904E0
    TripAces wrote: »

23167746_1927773307475001_8489627388677952158_n.jpg?oh=f1dbd7bc5c8c9aaddd7616367d6feaae&oe=5A7904E0

Looking good pal !!!..happy Halloween to you too....watch out for mad clowns !!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    H0L0Ful.jpg?2

Just finished Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, and it was a lot better than I remembered. Nice ending. It feels like this was supposed to be the last one... except it wasn't. ;)
    Detouring now to Ghostbusters for the Mrs. (no vampire movies for HER!).

• edited October 2017 Posts: 14,840
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Anybody ever thought about what would have happened had Myers not escaped custody in Halloween? I think they'd all be in serious trouble, although the kids would have really enjoyed their night.

As far as I can remember he didn't really do anything in the asylum, or do I remember incorrectly?

He did zilch. But imagine the anger of Lindsey's parents had no murder happened: their daughter in another house, the girl they trusted as a babysitter off to have sex with her boyfriend and two teenagers having sex, drinking and smoking in their house!

Happy Halloween everyone. As for mine the evening started badly: got home from work as my wife got bitten by the neighbors' dog when she was putting the jacks out. Thankfully she's ok and did not bleed. But it was an unpleasant fright. Three kids came for trick or treat which is actually not bad in the remote place where we are. Will spend the rest of the evening reading scary stories and looking after the wife and son.
  • Caught the last half hour of Halloween II on TV. Now watching the last half hour of Halloween on a different channel, eating fun-size Crunch bars. Life is good.
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    SogXxXH.jpg

Gareth Mallory is forced to dressing down James Bond 007..... for dressing UP!

James Bond 007: "Very Halloween, sir."

Gareth Mallory (about to blow a gasket) "007 I'm about to blow a royal gasket and your getting the better of me double 0 program shut down. This stops now."

Bond: With all due respect sir, F*** YOU. If that will be all?"

Gareth mallory (mouth a gape): You are supended immediately please turn in your costume, If you attempt to grick or treating you will be killed pending further notice

Bond: OK

DENIAL CRAIG is IAN FLAMING'S GAMES BOND in HALLOWEEN
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    That's hilarious. Love the "OK" at the end. You capture the current Bond M relationship beautifully.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

That's really nice!

Excellent choice in costume my good man! Would love one of my own!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Awesome costume, @TripAces! Do you have the cane to match?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@TripAces, that's awesome. One of the cooler costumes I've seen for the season.

As for me, I didn't get to do too much for the actual day of Halloween (as in watching films) as I was busy with family for the day. To give some background:

My dad is a big bike rider and last year he and my mother started what they promise is to be an annual Halloween tradition. Basically, they'll get about five bags of candy, fill up a big bag with it and, with my dad riding his bike, my mom will be on the seat behind him with the bag of candy between them. My dad then rides around for about 45 minutes to an hour in my town and my mom throws candy to all the kids they see as they pass, doing so in full costume. My dad wears his old motorbike riding gear (some white motocross boots and gloves) and all black with an old man's mask to look like a dying/ghostly biker, but my mom does something different every year. This year, she got some makeup kits for Halloween to make herself into a monster/creature of some sort, and wanted me to paint her and make her into something. So about an hour or so before they went out I had her done up as a sort of half dead Phantom of the Opera looking zombie thing, which she was able to make really creepy even without a black wig that she added later on. I've obviously got an art background but I'd never done actual makeup work before on a human "canvas", so it was a fun experience. I took some pictures of the night, so I may share them later once I get them transferred off my camera.

So I just spent the night following my parents around in our car, going to a few spots to park where a lot of kids were out, and gave them candy. I'll probably still spend the next two weeks watching any Halloween related films I missed, simply because the month got away from me and I don't really care if the holiday is passed or not. With it currently snowing in my town the day after Halloween, it seems the right time to prepare for a rewatch of The Thing or something similar.

Happy Halloween to you all, and I hope your intake of candy and/or alcohol hasn't destroyed you for today. ;)
    Hope everyone had a happy and safe Halloween!
  • With it currently snowing in my town the day after Halloween, it seems the right time to prepare for a rewatch of The Thing or something similar.

Oh to watch The Thing with snow outside. Alas the best I could ever do is a good howling rain storm every once in a long while.
    ...I hope your intake of candy and/or alcohol hasn't destroyed you for today. ;)

A salutation I could use most Wednesday mornings.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I've always dreamed of doing what Grandpa Phil did in Hey Arnold! and offering a bowl full of live worms to the trick or treaters. Maybe this is the night...

@mattjoes, speaking of Hey Arnold!, I loved how many Halloween centric episodes that show did, which were always my favorite for the creepy feeling they gave me. One could have a fun mini-marathon on Halloween watching those episodes.
    With it currently snowing in my town the day after Halloween, it seems the right time to prepare for a rewatch of The Thing or something similar.

Oh to watch The Thing with snow outside. Alas the best I could ever do is a good howling rain storm every once in a long while.

@Some_Kind_Of_Hero, it always adds a little something to a movie to watch it in the same atmosphere being depicted in the film itself. More often than not, I do this. I can't watch films that take place predominantly in the night (which is most Halloween films, probably) during the day, and many times the climate outside motivates me to watch a particular film. For instance, I never watch The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo outside of the winter season. It doesn't feel right otherwise, and you feel the extra chill from the weather that you get looking at the visuals of the film itself.