The Official Halloween thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @Creasy47 I hate to say it, but I actually wasn’t a big fan of the film. Didn’t really creep me out like I had hoped and was just a bit overkill on how slow it was. But each to their own.

Totally understandable, it can definitely come across as sluggish for a horror film. I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.
  • I watched the first Halloween pretty recently because of the new movie. So tonight- I'm thinking CREEPSHOW!

How are everyones costumes looking this year?
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    ...a back-to-back viewing of the first two Halloween installments. It's going to be a damn good night.

Damn that’s a good double feature.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 40,492
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    ...a back-to-back viewing of the first two Halloween installments. It's going to be a damn good night.

Damn that’s a good double feature.

Easily one of my favorite double features. The first one is about as close to perfection as a horror movie gets for me. If I had the time, I'd toss in another Carpenter classic that's a favorite of mine, The Thing.
    Watched the first two films today I got a bit into H20
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Watched the first two films today I got a bit into H20

I watched H20 a few days ago it was better than I remembered it, the ending was good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dracula AD 1972 was a Halloween blast/giggle.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Halloween 3:Season of the Witch. Personally, I think this is a really underrated movie. It's ridiculous to say the least but that's why I like it.
    For me there are only two Halloween movies: the original and the 2018 sequel.

Anyway, I managed to watch a bit of Trick r Treat last night. Not the scariest movie but darn entertaining. And today I have the post Halloween blues.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @Creasy47 I hate to say it, but I actually wasn’t a big fan of the film. Didn’t really creep me out like I had hoped and was just a bit overkill on how slow it was. But each to their own.

Totally understandable, it can definitely come across as sluggish for a horror film. I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

I've watched it twice and still don't get on with it,so I have given up...I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about,apart from the 'did they or didn't they' sex scene.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Remington wrote: »
    Halloween 3:Season of the Witch. Personally, I think this is a really underrated movie. It's ridiculous to say the least but that's why I like it.

I like it too @Remington

Very silly, but also entertaining and weird.

It's not really part of the Halloween series of films. Only in name.
    Its almost upon us once more....any plans for the annual spookfest ?

>:) 8-X :ar! :O)
    Have already posted this on 'The last film you watched' thread but as this is a Halloween thread....

In the spirit of the season a double bill of

Halloween (1978) and Halloween (2018)

Obviously the original is a stone cold classic. Beautifully shot. Stylish and influential.

The new follow up is growing on me and i adore the new Carpenter score. It doesn't all work but still a nice companion piece to the superior original.

Also watched Halloween H20 (1997) which i think is a better sequel to the one above. It has a more logical storyline and keeps Michael's previous whereabouts a mystery. Jamie Lee has never been better.

Another Halloween favourite is:

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) Much preferred to the original, this is Universal horror at it's finest. So many great and iconic moments and lashings of black humour.
    Love the prologue with Shelley and Byron.

A newer horror i watched last night was In The Tall Grass (2019) based on the Stephen King/Joe King novella. Quite enjoyed its strange story. It's really well shot with convincing performances.

I always watch Carpenters Halloween on the night in question, but this year I want to go with something else. Possibly An American Werewolf in London! Haven't watched hit in a while!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,562
    I'm already in the mood for Halloween and this year I have decided to commit myself to a John Carpenter marathon. Of course, not all of his movies qualify as horror, but that doesn't bother me. I'm going in chronological order, beginning with Dark Star. I've already revisited that one, in fact, as well as Assault On Precinct 13, Eyes Of Laura Mars, Halloween and Someone's Watching Me!. Some of these films are only written by Carpenter, but that's fine.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I always watch Carpenters Halloween on the night in question, but this year I want to go with something else. Possibly An American Werewolf in London! Haven't watched hit in a while!

Good choice! Loved that film since i saw it on video in the early 80's!

Landis never really got close to topping it IMO.

Good choice! Loved that film since i saw it on video in the early 80's!

Landis never really got close to topping it IMO.

Agreed. His finest hour! To think Landis was among a number of writers who were considered to write or direct a Bond movie! Don't think he would have suited Bond at all!

I always do a duo marathon of the first two installments, but I've been feeling the same way - I want to spice it up with something. If I didn't have work that day, I'd rewatch the entirety of the The Haunting of Hell House series on Netflix.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    edited October 2019 Posts: 373
    Being a Christian - I'm a little wary of Halloween. But I don't want to be the asshole Dad who doesn't let his kids take part in something fun.

So I take my youngest trick or treating and stuff - but the rules are no occult costumes. She can dress as a baddie out of Batman or something (Harley Quinn for example). Also I concentrate on the "getting to see our neighbours/community" part of it all.

It's one of those times of year when I'm glad it's done and over with. But I guess it's a good excuse to watch "The Lost Boys"!
    BondStu wrote: »
    Being a Christian - I'm a little wary of Halloween.

I respect that, @BondStu. I merely think there's Halloween and there's Halloween. One of these two has little meaning beyond the "fun" of dressing up in a horror theme while the leaves are falling off our trees and cinemas organize delicious horror marathons. I don't care about the folklore behind Halloween. For me, it's just an excuse to watch even more horror flicks. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    syfy%20leprechaun%20main%20%28Custom%29.PNG
    Hope you have bought candy, cause I am coming knocking.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    edited October 2019 Posts: 373
    @DarthDimi - thanks mate. I think most people do take to it in the spirit (pardon the pun) you've suggested.

But I've known people in the past who've taken it a lot more seriously. It's things like that which I choose to steer clear of.
    @DarthDimi - thanks mate. I think most people do take to it in the spirit (pardon the pun) you've suggested.

But I've known people in the past who've taken it a lot more seriously. It's things like that which I choose to steer clear of.

I completely understand that, @BondStu.

I don't even do the pumpkin thing. It's mostly some John Carpenter-ish kind of fun in my house. And trick-'r-treating is something we most definitely don't do here in Belgium. So yeah, it's just another commercial byproduct of our quest for entertainment, I guess. I usually don't partake in those, however. I don't "celebrate" New Year since I fail to grasp what cause for celebration that day even provides. Halloween is my only guilty exception. I'm a fan of horror films, that's why. For the record, I don't even "celebrate" Christmas. I try to be nice to people every day and almost everything else about Christmas is hypocrisy in most households anyway. I don't go to church, so I don't feel "entitled" to the warmth of Christmas.

Halloween simply feels like a harmless guilty pleasure. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Look forward to Christmas 2020 @DarthDimi, as you can have a Black Christmas tripple bill. ;) Maybe even squeeze in some Silent Night, Deadly Night. We don't want none of that Miracle On 34th Sreet nonsense. [-(
    Look forward to Christmas 2020 @DarthDimi, as you can have a Black Christmas tripple bill. ;) Maybe even squeeze in some Silent Night, Deadly Night. We don't want none of that Miracle On 34th Sreet nonsense. [-(

See, that's the point, isn't it. When I hear about Christmas, it's mostly about a "Christmas release" of a movie I'm dying to see. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

See, that's the point, isn't it. When I hear about Christmas, it's mostly about a "Christmas release" of a movie I'm dying to see. ;-)

Just, you know... don't answer your phone.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Just, you know... don't answer your phone.

What are you talking about? A friendly voice has asked me if I've checked the children yet. Three times, in fact. I am about to. Very nice man, kindly reminding me to do so.
    Being a Christian - I'm a little wary of Halloween. But I don't want to be the asshole Dad who doesn't let his kids take part in something fun.

So I take my youngest trick or treating and stuff - but the rules are no occult costumes. She can dress as a baddie out of Batman or something (Harley Quinn for example). Also I concentrate on the "getting to see our neighbours/community" part of it all.

It's one of those times of year when I'm glad it's done and over with. But I guess it's a good excuse to watch "The Lost Boys"!

I must say, as an athiest i find my 'born again christian' aunt's revulsion of all things Halloween quite puzzling and amusing.

It's harmless fun for children and has long escaped it's Celtic roots.

I have always loved the Horror genre so Halloween is a good excuse to watch more and i love the dressed up kids trick or treating in my street.

Like DarthDimi i cannot see what's special about new year and the magic of Christmas is no longer there for me.
    I am sadly not feeling it this year maybe because I am going to a dead and company show on Halloween night maybe because I haven’t gone to a costume shop this year I dunno

I might go on lunch today so I can try and get some of that feeling also the producers cut of Halloween 6 is on YouTube maybe I will watch that at work today or tomorrow
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am sadly not feeling it this year maybe because I am going to a dead and company show on Halloween night maybe because I haven’t gone to a costume shop this year I dunno

I might go on lunch today so I can try and get some of that feeling also the producers cut of Halloween 6 is on YouTube maybe I will watch that at work today or tomorrow

What are some of the costumes you've worn before, @Risico007?