The Official Halloween thread

Comments

• BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    BondStu wrote: »
    @DarthDimi - thanks mate. I think most people do take to it in the spirit (pardon the pun) you've suggested.

But I've known people in the past who've taken it a lot more seriously. It's things like that which I choose to steer clear of.

I completely understand that, @BondStu.

I don't even do the pumpkin thing. It's mostly some John Carpenter-ish kind of fun in my house. And trick-'r-treating is something we most definitely don't do here in Belgium. So yeah, it's just another commercial byproduct of our quest for entertainment, I guess. I usually don't partake in those, however. I don't "celebrate" New Year since I fail to grasp what cause for celebration that day even provides. Halloween is my only guilty exception. I'm a fan of horror films, that's why. For the record, I don't even "celebrate" Christmas. I try to be nice to people every day and almost everything else about Christmas is hypocrisy in most households anyway. I don't go to church, so I don't feel "entitled" to the warmth of Christmas.

Halloween simply feels like a harmless guilty pleasure. ;-)

@DarthDimi

It's all about the kids for me. Halloween, Christmas - all of it. Doesn't really mean that much to me but I want my kids to get into the magic of it.

We will be putting a pumpkin out tomorrow - but only so the neighbours know they can come and knock at ours.

Christmas? I just enjoy not having to go to work for a few days!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Hahahaha :D Don't we all, friend? Don't we all? ;-)

Hahahaha :D Don't we all, friend? Don't we all? ;-)

Still - nice to see the kids enjoy it.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am sadly not feeling it this year maybe because I am going to a dead and company show on Halloween night maybe because I haven’t gone to a costume shop this year I dunno

I might go on lunch today so I can try and get some of that feeling also the producers cut of Halloween 6 is on YouTube maybe I will watch that at work today or tomorrow

What are some of the costumes you've worn before, @Risico007?

A whose who of character I love
    Batman
    James Bond
    MacGyver

this year I am a ninja turtle I have a meeting at work at 2 I am going to a Halloween store After Currently watching Halloween 6 the producers cut and its not bad...

My wife bought me a ninja turtle costume that consists of a shirt and a bandana... Shrugs I think if my diet/Workout plan had worked out I likely would of been in a much better mood for it

edited October 2019 Posts: 373
    Being a Christian - I'm a little wary of Halloween. But I don't want to be the asshole Dad who doesn't let his kids take part in something fun.

So I take my youngest trick or treating and stuff - but the rules are no occult costumes. She can dress as a baddie out of Batman or something (Harley Quinn for example). Also I concentrate on the "getting to see our neighbours/community" part of it all.

It's one of those times of year when I'm glad it's done and over with. But I guess it's a good excuse to watch "The Lost Boys"!

I must say, as an athiest i find my 'born again christian' aunt's revulsion of all things Halloween quite puzzling and amusing.

It's harmless fun for children and has long escaped it's Celtic roots.

I have always loved the Horror genre so Halloween is a good excuse to watch more and i love the dressed up kids trick or treating in my street.

Like DarthDimi i cannot see what's special about new year and the magic of Christmas is no longer there for me.

@LeonardPine - I see your Aunt's revulsion for Halloween and raise you this:

Christians against Harry Potter. Having Church events where they burn the books!

SERIOUSLY. Google it mate, you'll laugh your ass off! :))

I guess Halloween is just one of those things that's going to be debated forever and Christians and Atheists alike will just have to make up their mind on what they're comfortable with.

As for the magic of Christmas, I just get it vicariously through my kids.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Being a Christian - I'm a little wary of Halloween. But I don't want to be the asshole Dad who doesn't let his kids take part in something fun.

So I take my youngest trick or treating and stuff - but the rules are no occult costumes. She can dress as a baddie out of Batman or something (Harley Quinn for example). Also I concentrate on the "getting to see our neighbours/community" part of it all.

It's one of those times of year when I'm glad it's done and over with. But I guess it's a good excuse to watch "The Lost Boys"!

I must say, as an athiest i find my 'born again christian' aunt's revulsion of all things Halloween quite puzzling and amusing.

It's harmless fun for children and has long escaped it's Celtic roots.

I have always loved the Horror genre so Halloween is a good excuse to watch more and i love the dressed up kids trick or treating in my street.

Like DarthDimi i cannot see what's special about new year and the magic of Christmas is no longer there for me.

@LeonardPine - I see your Aunt's revulsion for Halloween and raise you this:

Christians against Harry Potter. Having Church events where they burn the books!

SERIOUSLY. Google it mate, you'll laugh your ass off! :))

I guess Halloween is just one of those things that's going to be debated forever and Christians and Atheists alike will just have to make up their mind on what they're comfortable with.

As for the magic of Christmas, I just get it vicariously through my kids.

Well nothing suprises me anymore!

Not sure what my aunt thinks about Harry Potter...!

Kids are great at Christmas. It's what makes it magical. Unfortunately ours are grown up and (fortunately) moved out... :))
    edited October 2019 Posts: 373
    @LeonardPine - can you imagine it? Burning books? The nazis did that!!!

Hardly making Christianity good when they follow Hitler's example is it?!?!

Honestly - I love my Christian brothers and sisters, but I hate it when they do this crazy cause it makes people like ME look bad.

I like to think I'm one of the sane ones you see...
    @BondStu

Look at Alabama. Now there you have some Christians going really wrong. And the anti-Harry Potter thing? Yeah, what a joy, isn't it? :)

You're okay, don't worry.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Look forward to Christmas 2020 @DarthDimi, as you can have a Black Christmas tripple bill. ;) Maybe even squeeze in some Silent Night, Deadly Night. We don't want none of that Miracle On 34th Sreet nonsense. [-(

See, that's the point, isn't it. When I hear about Christmas, it's mostly about a "Christmas release" of a movie I'm dying to see. ;-)

Just, you know... don't answer your phone.

What are you talking about? A friendly voice has asked me if I've checked the children yet. Three times, in fact. I am about to. Very nice man, kindly reminding me to do so.

Did you not receive a call with heavy breathing? That was me. Crap... if that wasn't you, then who did I phone? :-? Oh well, probably livened up their night.
    Look forward to Christmas 2020 @DarthDimi, as you can have a Black Christmas tripple bill. ;) Maybe even squeeze in some Silent Night, Deadly Night. We don't want none of that Miracle On 34th Sreet nonsense. [-(

See, that's the point, isn't it. When I hear about Christmas, it's mostly about a "Christmas release" of a movie I'm dying to see. ;-)

What are you talking about? A friendly voice has asked me if I've checked the children yet. Three times, in fact. I am about to. Very nice man, kindly reminding me to do so.

Did you not receive a call with heavy breathing? That was me. Crap... if that wasn't you, then who did I phone? :-? Oh well, probably livened up their night.

Haha, just imagine a terrified household, hiding behind their couch because you called the wrong people. Ah well, when the police arrive, just tell them you're an MI6 mod. Has done it for me all fourteen times I needed to talk my arse out of something involving chainsaws. And human skin.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Haha, just imagine a terrified household, hiding behind their couch because you called the wrong people. Ah well, when the police arrive, just tell them you're an MI6 mod. Has done it for me all fourteen times I needed to talk my arse out of something involving chainsaws. And human skin.

I'll show them my MI6 mod membership card, a nod a wink and i'll be out of trouble.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well, it's 31 Oct over here, so: happy Halloween, folks!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Well it’s Halloween I guess everyone is entitled to one good scare
    Risico007 wrote: »

Well it’s Halloween I guess everyone is entitled to one good scare

On this forum, I get at least one good scare every day. ;-)
    edited October 2019 Posts: 13,894
    Right, here we go, who wants an obsene phone call first?
    Right ,my knife is razor sharp.....now,where is @Thunderfinger ?

f055e8d73e9fd715afe7d50644cb8ba6.jpg
    barryt007 wrote: »

I have bought candy. Come on in!

Who wouldn't turn down that invitation...

free-hugs-35033507.png

Yep, looks ok.
    Have these 'killer clowns' that hung about on the streets in the US died out now or do people still see them around this time ?
    Have these 'killer clowns' that hung about on the streets in the US died out now or do people still see them around this time ?

It wasn t just the US, was it? I think they emerged even here.
    @BondStu

Look at Alabama. Now there you have some Christians going really wrong. And the anti-Harry Potter thing? Yeah, what a joy, isn't it? :)

@DarthDimi

Thanks Brother. I know all about those guys and the crazy stunts they pull. It's embarrassing really.

Like the ones that think the Earth is only 6000 years old and there was no such thing as dinosaurs. Yeah. Those people are real too.

Thanks very much...I have this for you too :

EnchantingSlimAntarcticgiantpetrel-size_restricted.gif
    @BondStu

@DarthDimi

Thanks Brother. I know all about those guys and the crazy stunts they pull. It's embarrassing really.

Like the ones that think the Earth is only 6000 years old and there was no such thing as dinosaurs. Yeah. Those people are real too.

There's Creationists and there's Christians. Not the same thing, far from it. I have every bit of confidence that you're a good and intelligent man, @BondStu. And your beliefs are your own.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,422
    Seen as it's the season and junk, I decided to pop in "City of the Living Dead"!!!!

An Italian zombie film, released in 1980, directed by the maestro of gore, Lucio Fulci.

A group of people are having a seance, where they have a vision of a priest hanging himself. The unfortunate priest was from a town called Dunwich - a town built upon the ruins of Salem!!! What did the priest's suicide unleash?

Fulci' style of directing puts me in mind of a dream state - no matter how hard you try you're rooted to the spot, there's no escaping the horror that is in store for you. I do appreciate that the zombies in "City of the Living Dead" are caused by a spell or curse, akin to the Voodoo roots of the zombie legend.

I also apprentice the way that the eye make up was done, with their bags under their eyes enhanced, on non zombies, let's call them "unliving impaired", shall we. Made you question is that an undead monstrosity or the aforementioned, unliving impaired? Plenty of close up on the eyes, too. Though maybe that was to avoid the bad dubbing, from Italian to English.

A worthwhile horror film, even if the films climax was a tad underwhelming. This is the second film I've seen directed by Fulci, the other being "Zombie Flesh Eaters", a deliciously schlocky titled film, if ever I saw one! Lovely stuff. I may have investigate the rest of Fulci's filmography. I'm looking forward to completing the "Gates of Hell Trilogy" with the "House by the Cemetery", rounding out the trio, the other two being the two zombie movies I have mentioned above. I'm also interested in Fulci's "Lizard In A Woman's Skin" - because look at that title! It's going to either great or terrible, but full of pulpy goodness!

I may round off tonight's festivities, with a double bill of "Psycho" and "The Birds". (But more likely I'll be watching one of the Resident Evil films, because of Mila and PVC)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Right now I’m at Universal Studios in Orlando; during the Halloween season they put on Hollywood Horror Nights. There’s scary stuff throughout the park and a series of great haunted houses. A lot of the things are really creepy, with some being pretty brutal. All in all it’s a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.
    I'm watching Halloween II (1981), a film that's superfunny in its plenty mistakes.

- Cop Car chases down the road like a rocket from space and hits the Tramer boy who immediately burns down to a crisp.
    - Hot nurse in tub: "It's gonna get even colder in here." Not very likely, since this hospital tub has a setting "scalding", just in case you need to burn that patient's skin off.
    - "Oh, it's you. I didn't recognise you," says Loomis to the nurse he last saw--eh--yesterday.
    - Laurie is in the hospital. Her stalker is still on the loose. But guess what, we understaff the place, keep not a single cop there and we have only one overweight security guy running away from cats. Oh, and we turn all lights off.
    - There's a room in the hospital building with big containers full of flammables. Because these people consume gallons of ether every day?
    - Say, who gave Laurie a haircut between now and two minutes ago? And then put a wig on her head?

:D
    I'm watching Halloween II (1981), a film that's superfunny in its plenty mistakes.

- Cop Car chases down the road like a rocket from space and hits the Tramer boy who immediately burns down to a crisp.
    - Hot nurse in tub: "It's gonna get even colder in here." Not very likely, since this hospital tub has a setting "scalding", just in case you need to burn that patient's skin off.
    - "Oh, it's you. I didn't recognise you," says Loomis to the nurse he last saw--eh--yesterday.
    - Laurie is in the hospital. Her stalker is still on the loose. But guess what, we understaff the place, keep not a single cop there and we have only one overweight security guy running away from cats. Oh, and we turn all lights off.
    - There's a room in the hospital building with big containers full of flammables. Because these people consume gallons of ether every day?
    - Say, who gave Laurie a haircut between now and two minutes ago? And then put a wig on her head?

:D

Hahaha love it...happy days !
    @DarthDimi - thanks for your kind words my friend. I also hold you in a similar high regard. :D