The Official Halloween thread

Comments

Apparently the new Halloween movie will be a sequel to the very first so will ignore the events of H2. Which is both great and makes perfect sense.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Apparently the new Halloween movie will be a sequel to the very first so will ignore the events of H2. Which is both great and makes perfect sense.

I was under the impression that it was going to pick up after H2 for the longest time, then I saw Carpenter's quote about a week or two ago that said what you just mentioned. Thus, I wasn't sure if he had simply misspoke, or they indeed were ignoring H2 on, which is even more intriguing.

Now it makes me wonder if Michael simply "escapes" after Halloween, and in this alternate reality, doesn't pursue Laurie (or in this new film's case, her daughter) for several decades, for reasons unknown.

I'm still ridiculously interested in this, and for some reason I'm much more optimistic than I probably should be. We'll see how it pans out, but I'm hopeful.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I was under the impression that it was going to pick up after H2 for the longest time, then I saw Carpenter's quote about a week or two ago that said what you just mentioned. Thus, I wasn't sure if he had simply misspoke, or they indeed were ignoring H2 on, which is even more intriguing.

Now it makes me wonder if Michael simply "escapes" after Halloween, and in this alternate reality, doesn't pursue Laurie (or in this new film's case, her daughter) for several decades, for reasons unknown.

I'm still ridiculously interested in this, and for some reason I'm much more optimistic than I probably should be. We'll see how it pans out, but I'm hopeful.

Carpenter is directly involved so I'm carefully optimistic. Regarding your question I always understood that Michael was interested in Laurie by happenstance. For all we know he stopped his rampage on November the first to go dormant for years. It's not like he's human anyway. Not by the end of the first movie.

Carpenter is directly involved so I'm carefully optimistic. Regarding your question I always understood that Michael was interested in Laurie by happenstance. For all we know he stopped his rampage on November the first to go dormant for years. It's not like he's human anyway. Not by the end of the first movie.

Plus, I suppose there's no connection to Laurie and Michael if they ignore the sequel, since that's the one that injects the twist that they're brother and sister. Perhaps it ends up being the sheer luck of him tracking down Laurie's daughter out of the blue, which gets her involved. Just spitballing, this could easily go a hundred different ways. Like you said, though - carefully optimistic.

Plus, I suppose there's no connection to Laurie and Michael if they ignore the sequel, since that's the one that injects the twist that they're brother and sister. Perhaps it ends up being the sheer luck of him tracking down Laurie's daughter out of the blue, which gets her involved. Just spitballing, this could easily go a hundred different ways. Like you said, though - carefully optimistic.

Ditching the sister angle opens up the possibilities. Michael is truly the Shape now.
  • I love the idea of them not being related. But it sure will be hard to pull that from my memory!

This is from he ‘last movie you watched’ thread. After I posted it I figured it would make more sense here :)
    Usually as Halloween approaches I watch the 1978 original or the remake.
    But since I have the really nice Blu-ray set I decided to watch them all, one or two each night over the past week.

71aKzHz7e0L._SL1030_.jpg

I’ve said many times how I hated Rob Zombie’s H2, and by the time that one was next in line, I almost didn’t watch it at all. But something made me do it.

Brace yourselves for this: it.... wasn’t that bad. I had only seen it once before, in 2009 and it just rubbed me the wrong way so much that I never revisited it. That ‘white horse’ bs is all anyone talked about and I think I built it up in my head over the years, but now that it’s fresh in my head, the stupid white horse isn’t in that much of the movie.
    I was really into the first few minutes in the hospital, and I dug Myers’ ‘urban legend’ status whenever he was talked about on the news— how they’d ask ‘do you think he’s still alive, do you think he’s out there somewhere’ and then it would cut to him looking like a homeless guy in the middle of the woods.

Make no mistake, it’s not a great movie, but it’s not completely without its good parts. It was insanely raw & bloody, and took itself seriously, which is more than I can say for Resurrection.....

So in years to come, when I watch Rob Zombie’s Halloween, I may just watch H2 along with it.

If you’re like me and hated it, try it again. You might surprise yourself.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's going to be fascinating to find out what the story of this new movie will be, and it's almost easier to ask what won't be ignored than what will.
    If the infos we have are true and all sequels are now erased then I'm very happy. Many were borderline amateur fanfics and had nothing to do with the spirit or the intelligence of the original. And I will say it again: making Laurie and Michael related was a stupid, shoehorned decision that took away the brilliantly simple idea of the first movie. A decision taken while inebriated.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    *SPOILER ALERT*

The ending scene of the new Halloween movie has been teased with a picture from the past:

996d8fa6beafd4417b13537f920a1a62.jpg

Carpenter and co. are geniuses, making a (possibly incestuous) romance disguised as a horror film.
    Jamie sure looks good for a woman her age...
    Jamie sure looks good for a woman her age...

I think she's aged well, and makes even the gray hair work. Must be her mother's genes kicking in. ;)
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,813
    So I know for a fact that 2 of my fellow State Troopers are going to a particular place on Saturday; a big Halloween party event in Baltimore. They told me what they’re going as.
    I HAVE to show up in my Michael Myers get up and fuck with them right??
    So I know for a fact that 2 of my fellow State Troopers are going to a particular place on Saturday; a big Halloween party event in Baltimore. They told me what they’re going as.
    I HAVE to show up in my Michael Myers get up and fuck with them right??

Haha, go for it, @Master_Dahark. I did a similar thing once for a Halloween dance in high school. I had bad anxiety but was dressed up so nobody knew who I was, and I went about screwing with people and freaking them out for the entire night. In the end, my shoes were what exposed me as some recognized them and me in associate. I'd worn all unfamiliar clothes yet somehow forgot to wear different shoes, but still managed to creep out a lot of other people.
    There's just something about Michael Myers. Jason is just as recognizable if not more, but even his mask is gimmicky. Michael is just a... shape.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Growing up, I’ve always liked Michael just a bit more than Jason (it was always close though)

To go with my mask, I also got the same type of overalls used in the first movie, in the correct spruce green color. It’s easy to think they’re just navy blue since that’s what’s usually found in stores, but I did my homework, lol.
    Sure enough, look at spruce green and then look at the movie, you’ll never be able to unsee it— right as rain!
    Also I had an elastic waist sewn in, so it fits just like in the movie (it sort of bunches up in the back)

myers_jumpsuit.jpg

Right off the rack, those things are NOT flattering; your body looks like a big ol’ rectangle! :))
    I've never got on with Jason or his films.
    Myers on the other hand and the Halloween films,i love ! (Not literally !)
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    There's just something about Michael Myers. Jason is just as recognizable if not more, but even his mask is gimmicky. Michael is just a... shape.

When the Michael mask is good (well fit to the actor and well sculpted) there's few more unsettling images; the pale white against the shadow, etc. The first Halloween for me had the best mask, and that's part of what makes it so unsettling, especially by how Carpenter and co. concealed what was behind those shadowed-in eye holes.
    And the amazing music and score as well.
    So unique,spooky and unsettling.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And the amazing music and score as well.
    So unique,spooky and unsettling.

Yes, beauty in simplicity there.
    A simplicity quickly lost in the sequels.

Is this a thread about the movie or the holiday? I kind of forgot.
    Just a general Halloween thread, but you can't discuss Halloween each year without THE Halloween.
  • My original intention was the holiday, costumes and events and such, but the movie fits right in.
    Just a general Halloween thread, but you can't discuss Halloween each year without THE Halloween.

Of course but I ended up wondering. Heck it's THE film I religiously watch every year, if l can only watch one. Which might be the case this year as my baby boy is taking a lot of my time. So while I read a lot of horror stories I didn't watch many horror movies.

Of course but I ended up wondering. Heck it's THE film I religiously watch every year, if l can only watch one. Which might be the case this year as my baby boy is taking a lot of my time. So while I read a lot of horror stories I didn't watch many horror movies.

There really hasn't been much on this year for me, and certainly not as much as usual. I've seen bits and pieces of the later Halloween sequels, but nothing else. I've seen more Christmas programming than stuff related to Halloween, if you can believe it.

More than once I've stared at my TV screen and said, "It's HALLOWEEN, where are all the movies?!"
  • Speaking of that, 0Brady, Jigsaw opened today and everywhere I'm reading ZERO out of 100 types of review. Apparently it's abysmal.

That's a real shame; my best friend and I had somewhat of a tradition after the first one-- we saw EACH one opening night without fail.
    Jigsaw is the first one in a few years (2010 actually) after coming out each year in a row. I 'thought' that mean this new one would be special; you know, like maybe they put some time and effort into it? Doesn't sound like that....

So this is the first one we missed opening day- as we're both busy :(
    Mostly due to low advertising. Both of us just plain forgot it was coming out and made other plans! The scathing reviews makes us both not feel so bad we missed it.
    I'll probably catch Jigsaw at some point, but I expect it to be nothing more than a slightly impressive cash grab at best, with some overly convoluted "twist" to wow and dazzle audiences.

First one I've missed opening day, too, aside from the first one (the ONE that I would've loved to have caught in theaters). I remember getting the teaser trailer for Saw in cinemas, and it had the audience screaming their heads off. I believe it was just an edited version of the apartment scene (the bit with the camera and the baseball bat).
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    First one I've missed opening day, too, aside from the first one (the ONE that I would've loved to have caught in theaters).

Take it from me, seeing it opening night 2004 in a packed theatre, EVERYONE'S face looked like this at the end!

8f523d80f0a46d536b8c32b468964a7c--funny-monkeys-monkeys-animals.jpg

Still stands as one of the greatest twists I've ever seen in a horror movie. Wonderfully done.
    @Master_Dahark, I just watched a review of the Jigsaw film this morning from Angry Joe. He's usually super positive and loves the series, but gave it a 2/10. So yes, the criticisms seem pretty unanimous.

There really hasn't been much on this year for me, and certainly not as much as usual. I've seen bits and pieces of the later Halloween sequels, but nothing else. I've seen more Christmas programming than stuff related to Halloween, if you can believe it.

More than once I've stared at my TV screen and said, "It's HALLOWEEN, where are all the movies?!"

Same here. That's why I start my countdown to Halloween around August now.