'Goldeneye 64' Appreciation Thread

Comments

• I always hated it when my friend picked Oddjob in multiplayer.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Agent wrote: »
    @00Agent, played it, had my jaw dropped, and I'm making a full coverage on it for my Bond games page on FB! :D

Good Lord, it was like playing NOLF and GE64 merged into one! :O

@Agent007391 you should see this!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 5,185
    Unfortunately i could not get it to run so far, more complicated than i thought.
    But i really can't wait to finally play it. The Feedback is awesome so far
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @00Agent, played it, had my jaw dropped, and I'm making a full coverage on it for my Bond games page on FB! :D

This game has my interest, especially the part that feel like NOLF
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I took a quick peek, I'll havta be more thorough later, but it looks interesting.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Really excited for you boys. I missed GE 007 by just a few years, but it's great that this project has come to fruition and is being given high marks for channeling the original.
    And in the second bonus level set in a familiar place...
    As the genuine James Bond, you get to fight the fake Bond on the SPECTRE Island that is set to conspiratorially replace 007 if the real Bond doesn't silence him. It's the same man whom Red Grant kills in the beginning of From Russia with Love.

KFvd6uJ.jpg
    Y1FkB37.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've been watching some of the Let's Plays. For what it is, it's very well done.
    You have to play it yourself, @MajorDSmythe! It's undeniably well done and I could say it's the best Bond game we've seen in a long time!
    You have to play it yourself, @MajorDSmythe! It's undeniably well done and I could say it's the best Bond game we've seen in a long time!

While I don't have a whole lot of love for the film, I feel as if I should play the game, as it is made by the fans, for the fans. I'm not much of a pc gamer, so how much work does it need to get it to run? I've read on the GoldenEye Vault site that you need to alter some files for it to work.
  • You have to use the Goldeneye Setup Editor to patch the Goldfinger 64 mod onto the Goldeneye ROM.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I did a bit of a speedy run through of Goldfinger 64 and it was pretty fun. I enjoyed it a lot. It's not without flaws though but for a fan project, it's very solid. Most of the levels are ripped straight out of the film and even have a lot of the iconic scenes included. There were also new missions not related to the film that were also pretty fun. And the bonus levels were great. I especially loved the Crab Key and Spectre Island levels. All in all it was a great mod that really envoked a lot of memories from playing Medal of Honor for the PS1.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Pretty depressing that a bunch of understaffed fans were able to make a Bond game that not only felt more like a Bond game than the majority of the games we've had since EA's catalogue, but also that they did so without the massive resources, game engine and funds that Activision's developers had.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Pretty depressing that a bunch of understaffed fans were able to make a Bond game that not only felt more like a Bond game than the majority of the games we've had since EA's catalogue, but also that they did so without the massive resources, game engine and funds that Activision's developers had.

The key; they were unhindered by Activision's corporate bureaucracy. Put a bunch of suits, who aren't gamers, in charge of a game company, and you get Activision.

The key; they were unhindered by Activision's corporate bureaucracy. Put a bunch of suits, who aren't gamers, in charge of a game company, and you get Activision.

Well, from a simple design standpoint I just mean to say that, removed from any actions of Activision, the fans seemed to design and program far more interesting levels that carried the heart and soul of Bond gaming in them than those who have had all the tools in the shed to make any levels they wanted without too much worry for funding.

It's these kinds of people that I'd love to see given actual finances to do their thing with modern hardware.

Well, from a simple design standpoint I just mean to say that, removed from any actions of Activision, the fans seemed to design and program far more interesting levels that carried the heart and soul of Bond gaming in them than those who have had all the tools in the shed to make any levels they wanted without too much worry for funding.

It's these kinds of people that I'd love to see given actual finances to do their thing with modern hardware.

Oh I understood and completely agree with your point.

@BMW_with_missiles, though I see your point too and you were right to point out that Activision were meddling and impacted the final product. I don't think anyone would look at some of the Activision games (like 007 Legends) and see games that weren't rushed to completion. It's clear that Activision often had a hand in rushing their teams to meet deadlines, resulting in the developers not being able to do their best work, which also hurts their own reputation as a result.

The gaming industry is infamous for those kinds of heated work environments where the devs exhaust themselves and tear away from their families all in the name of meeting their publisher's bottom line.

@BMW_with_missiles, though I see your point too and you were right to point out that Activision were meddling and impacted the final product. I don't think anyone would look at some of the Activision games (like 007 Legends) and see games that weren't rushed to completion. It's clear that Activision often had a hand in rushing their teams to meet deadlines, resulting in the developers not being able to do their best work, which also hurts their own reputation as a result.

The gaming industry is infamous for those kinds of heated work environments where the devs exhaust themselves and tear away from their families all in the name of meeting their publisher's bottom line.

The thing that pains me most about 007 Legends is that it feels like someone, somewhere in the dev team actually cared about the Bond license and wanted to do the films justice, but weren't able/allowed to. Having that many classic moments in a game is such awesome fan service, and there are little touches here and there that could only have been done by a true Bond fan, but Activision rushed the project too hard and stupidly forced it to be yet another cheap COD clone.

The thing that pains me most about 007 Legends is that it feels like someone, somewhere in the dev team actually cared about the Bond license and wanted to do the films justice, but weren't able/allowed to. Having that many classic moments in a game is such awesome fan service, and there are little touches here and there that could only have been done by a true Bond fan, but Activision rushed the project too hard and stupidly forced it to be yet another cheap COD clone.

One only needs to look at the meager Skyfall "DLC" to see that. A real shame.
    Saw Goldeneye 64 in a museum today XD
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Saw Goldeneye 64 in a museum today XD
    Were they screening it?
    I don't think so. There was too many oldies, but it caught my eye when I was browsing Nintendo section.

There was also arcade floor with such oldies like Space Invaders et cetera. Even managed to see , what I recall being my first gaming system ; Commandore 64.
  • Division_00Division_00 Atlanta, GA, USA
    NO ODDJOB.
  • Jaws is the worst possible character to play as in multiplayer. His height makes him vulnerable.
    Jaws is the worst possible character to play as in multiplayer. His height makes him vulnerable.

Actually it's Oddjob becasue anyone who picks him is a grade a certified asshole.
    I always hated it when my friend picked Oddjob in multiplayer.

SAAAAME
    Jaws is the worst possible character to play as in multiplayer. His height makes him vulnerable.

Actually it's Oddjob becasue anyone who picks him is a grade a certified asshole.
    9004bcb6282fd76ab2e1c51f57aab342b03bb5fcff74ddbd392083fb11b2c3d5.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Which is why you always have proximity mines around. ;)
    007-goldeneye-remote-mine-2.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    Which is why you always have proximity mines around. ;)
    007-goldeneye-remote-mine-2.jpg

Buy me a pint!