The Official Halloween thread

Comments

For someone completely unfamiliar with John Carpenter's films – where should you begin? The closest thing I've been to Carpenter films is the remake of The Fog, which I have a copy of.

Thinking about maybe getting one of his films for Halloween. Never had a Halloween tradition, but thought it was about time to see a horror movie again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Halloween will forever remain my favorite horror movie, and the immediate go-to every single Halloween holiday. Looking forward to double billing the first two as usual come the 31st.

EDIT: Carpenter notes that it ignores everything after the first film, which I suppose is odd given the second one takes place immediately after the first. So he either misspoke, or it takes place right after the first and simply ignores the hospital visit in the second.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3463699/john-carpenter-says-next-years-halloween-disregards-everything-past-original-film/

@Creasy47, we definitely share the same tastes and traditions. A couple years back a local theater was showing Halloween around the holiday, and I missed it. I still regret that one big time.

It's replaying in cinemas this Halloween, too, if it plays near you! I've missed it every single time, as well. Same with any showings of Carpenter's The Thing I'm always dying to catch.

Yes, I need to get on that. The movie has been so influential in forming my idea of what movies can do and be, so it'd be beyond amazing to see it as the original audience did back in '78. If a second chance comes up to see it, I'll do all in my power not to miss it.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Anybody has food or drink traditions related to Halloween?

I threw one Halloween party once, and had this really cool blood red vodka called ‘Vampyre’
    I can’t seem to find it now, this was a few years ago.

328932_730931979671_938590103_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=36d9c031a1d44bec56ebf0b8b910e2da&oe=5A3EDCAC
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Looks like Tiddles found the vodka before you did - no wonder it's missing.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    For someone completely unfamiliar with John Carpenter's films – where should you begin? The closest thing I've been to Carpenter films is the remake of The Fog, which I have a copy of.

Thinking about maybe getting one of his films for Halloween. Never had a Halloween tradition, but thought it was about time to see a horror movie again.

Start with Halloween and The Fog. Two classic Carpenter horrors.

If you like them then I'd go for Escape From New York and The Thing.

Then try his early low budget stuff. Dark Star (A brilliantly humorous SCI-FI) and the gritty thriller Assault On Precinct 13. (Has one of the coolest themes you'll ever hear!)

Carpenter was my idol growing up. He got me interested in cinema and what it could do.
    It's been forever since I saw Escape From New York, but I remember loving it. Only saw Escape From LA once, too, but it wasn't nearly as good.
  • For a crash course in Carpenter begin with Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, and The Thing in any order you can find them. Then follow with Big Trouble in Little China for irreverent, nonsensical Fu Manchu-inspired Carpenter goodness and In the Mouth of Madness for something newer yet still quality. Then see Escape From New York for more Russell. Most importantly, forget whatever you think you know about Carpenter from that dreadful Fog remake and prepare to be amazed.
  • Division_00Division_00 Atlanta, GA, USA
    Hi is anyone dressing up for Halloween this year?

I'm going to be Mercy from Overwatch :)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain

I would just watch his most popular films because he has made a lot of movies and a good amount of them are not that great.
    Since Halloween is coming up I would start with the original Halloween (1978) and Halloween II (1982), although I think he only produced the sequel. Do a double feature of those because they take place on the same Halloween night.
    After that watch Escape From New York (1981), The Thing (1982), and Big Trouble In Little China (1986), all starring Kurt Russell. After that I can't recommend anymore of his movies, as I'm not a big fan outside of those.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hi is anyone dressing up for Halloween this year?

I bought this black tie
    e41391c3bfd8e29b86d9366ae91d3834--zombie-makeup-halloween-makeup.jpg
  • For someone completely unfamiliar with John Carpenter's films – where should you begin? The closest thing I've been to Carpenter films is the remake of The Fog, which I have a copy of.

I would just watch his most popular films because he has made a lot of movies and a good amount of them are not that great.
    Since Halloween is coming up I would start with the original Halloween (1978) and Halloween II (1982), although I think he only produced the sequel. Do a double feature of those because they take place on the same Halloween night.
    After that watch Escape From New York (1981), The Thing (1982), and Big Trouble In Little China (1986), all starring Kurt Russell. After that I can't recommend anymore of his movies, as I'm not a big fan outside of those.

Halloween II, while not officially directed by Carpenter, bears so much of Carpenter's directorial style and atmosphere you can't help but read a Hooper/Spielberg Poltergeist collaboration into the behind-the-scenes.

Halloween II, while not officially directed by Carpenter, bears so much of Carpenter's directorial style and atmosphere you can't help but read a Hooper/Spielberg Poltergeist collaboration into the behind-the-scenes.

If I had no clue, I'd easily assume that Carpenter directed both of them. As you said, such a similar atmosphere that it's easy to confuse.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

If I had no clue, I'd easily assume that Carpenter directed both of them. As you said, such a similar atmosphere that it's easy to confuse.

If you'd told me they were filmed at the same time & just cut into two films I'd have believed you back then.
    Same, though the one thing that always bugged me: doesn't Michael fall a completely different way when he's shot at the start of the second? It's been a year since I last saw it, but I feel like I remember a particular moment going differently than it did during the finale of the original. Perhaps it's how he lands on the grass or something.
  • Yes, the recap does feature one or two different shots from the first film. Which I actually rather like. As you guys say, the transition from the first to the second really is seamless. I love double-headering them. It's one long and terrible night for Laurie Strode. The really big difference between the two is that the first does the suspense and build-up far better, while the second features much more blood and far more inventive kills. It's as if Michael got bored halfway through the night and decided to chuck the knife and turn into a Da Vinci of kills.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, the recap does feature one or two different shots from the first film. Which I actually rather like. As you guys say, the transition from the first to the second really is seamless. I love double-headering them. It's one long and terrible night for Laurie Strode. The really big difference between the two is that the first does the suspense and build-up far better, while the second features much more blood and far more inventive kills. It's as if Michael got bored halfway through the night and decided to chuck the knife and turn into a Da Vinci of kills.

They should put that on the back of the blu-ray!
    Thanks for the tips! Seems like there are a few films that are mentioned by all of you, so I'll start with those. Searching iTunes I see that none of the Halloween films are available for download, but the original The Fog can be bought – as well as The Thing and a few other titles. Might as well start with The Fog, as I already have the remake.
    I always thought Laurie being Michael's sister was completely out of left field and I never thought it worked.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I always thought Laurie being Michael's sister was completely out of left field and I never thought it worked.

I've never minded it, and they had to give Michael some reason to be targeting her. I also like the attachment that was created between the two, and how Laurie spends her time almost connected to Michael, like she can sense him.

It's the same kind of sense Loomis has, but his is of course unconnected through blood. In that we he and Laurie share a lot in common, most prominently being their attempts to stop Michael with no result.
  • Yes, the recap does feature one or two different shots from the first film. Which I actually rather like. As you guys say, the transition from the first to the second really is seamless. I love double-headering them. It's one long and terrible night for Laurie Strode. The really big difference between the two is that the first does the suspense and build-up far better, while the second features much more blood and far more inventive kills. It's as if Michael got bored halfway through the night and decided to chuck the knife and turn into a Da Vinci of kills.

They should put that on the back of the blu-ray!

Ha! That would make some tag line!
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Haven't seen either of his Escapes. Anyway back on topic and my disdain of his Halloween 2 notwithstanding I'm very excited about the Halloween sequel in the making.
    They simply ignore H20. As they should I might add.

H20 is my go to film at Halloween! Love it!
    I watched Halloween 2 last night and I’m in the middle of H20 right now.
    It’s decent, but it sort of feels like ‘Scream’ but with Michael Myers. The comedy overtakes the horror. I remember LL Cool J getting tons of laughs in the theater but he’s kind of annoying now.

I remember watching the hell out of it in 1998 though!

If they play their cards right, this new one they’re working on (can we call it H40?) could have potential to be H20 done right.
  • That was my major drawback with H20, @Master_Dahark: it felt like a late 90s Kevin Williamson film with Michael Myers in it, not a John Carpenter Halloween film. Which makes sense since it was executive produced by the Weinsteins (Scream) and...Kevin Williamson (Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer). Still, disappointing.
  • I’m almost afraid to admit it, but H20 was actually the first Halloween movie I saw!
    I was 15 when I saw the trailer playing on tv and I thought it looked like the best thing in the world.

Of course, it led to me watching the rest of the movies and the rest was history! Like the Bond movies, I saw the series in a pretty backwards order, renting VHS’s from Blockbuster every weekend!
  • It's the only one I've seen apart from 1 & 2 (and, well, 3 for what it's worth). So the contrast between Carpenter's Halloween and Williamson's was probably far more stark for me than for someone who'd seen H20 first or had at least seen the other sequels in between.
  • Yeah I’m sitting here watching it, and I can recognize that it’s ‘not good’, you know?
    I like H20 more like a memory lane sort of nostalgic way.
    If you’ve only seen 1, 2 & H20, at least do yourself a favor and skip Resurrection (H20’s direct sequel).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Thanks for the tips! Seems like there are a few films that are mentioned by all of you, so I'll start with those. Searching iTunes I see that none of the Halloween films are available for download, but the original The Fog can be bought – as well as The Thing and a few other titles. Might as well start with The Fog, as I already have the remake.
    Can I offer an opinion? Dive straight into John Carpenter's THE THING.

If he has your attention and respect, lighten up and don't miss ESCAPE FROM NY and ESCAPE FROM LA.
    And BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA. Plus many scarier features like the HALLOWEEN films.
    dca5e6d1d33ad4bf8d0dd53f9bf0722d--best-t-shirts-awesome-t-shirts.jpg
  • Yeah I’m sitting here watching it, and I can recognize that it’s ‘not good’, you know?
    I like H20 more like a memory lane sort of nostalgic way.
    If you’ve only seen 1, 2 & H20, at least do yourself a favor and skip Resurrection (H20’s direct sequel).

Thanks for the advice. I will. I really don't have a burning desire to see any other Halloween film. Just, I guess, a sort of a morbid interest in the Rob Zombie ones maybe. Still haven't motivated myself to see them yet though.
  • The first one is great (but many on this board will disagree) but everyone unanimously hates H2. They dropped the ball so hard.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I've never minded it, and they had to give Michael some reason to be targeting her. I also like the attachment that was created between the two, and how Laurie spends her time almost connected to Michael, like she can sense him.

It's the same kind of sense Loomis has, but his is of course unconnected through blood. In that we he and Laurie share a lot in common, most prominently being their attempts to stop Michael with no result.

I don't think he needed a reason. He's the Shape.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339

You didn't like 'The Fog ' ?

Oh,and I quite like 'Prince of Darkness' but I know I will be in a minority.