The Official Halloween thread

Comments

Halloween is my all time favourite holiday. And I start getting myself in the mood from August onwards. I think I've written this before on this very thread. I'm fairly advanced in my Halloween read, not so much in my horror movies watching program. My son is too young to go trick or treating but he enjoyed his first Halloween book.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I usually watch Halloween H20 (One of my favourite Halloween films and Jamie Lee rocks in it!) and another horror favourite, The Funhouse (1980) which also gives me that Halloween feeling.

My wife's planning a party this year for the Saturday 27th. (Can't have it on a Tuesday!)

I'm going as a killer Clown (I know not very original) and hope to copy the IT clown make up...
  • I usually watch Halloween H20 (One of my favourite Halloween films and Jamie Lee rocks in it!)

This just arrived in the mail for me yesterday:

23.jpg

It’s the Halloween 6 mask— my favorite mask, but probably one of the dumbest movies, lol

Did you know, in the opening scene of H20, Michael’s actually wearing the part 6 mask? Then for the rest of the movie it’s TWO different ones (and one part where it’s CGI and annoyingly noticeable....)

h20masks.jpg?w=504&h=312
    I usually watch Halloween H20 (One of my favourite Halloween films and Jamie Lee rocks in it!)

This just arrived in the mail for me yesterday:

23.jpg

It’s the Halloween 6 mask— my favorite mask, but probably one of the dumbest movies, lol

Did you know, in the opening scene of H20, Michael’s actually wearing the part 6 mask? Then for the rest of the movie it’s TWO different ones (and one part where it’s CGI and annoyingly noticeable....)

h20masks.jpg?w=504&h=312

It's funny, but the amount of times I've seen it I never really noticed the difference in masks! I'm aware that there were changes but never spotted them.

I have a Michael Myers mask but not sure what movie it's supposed to be from. It looks like the original one. (Also have the boiler suit and huge plastic knife!)
  • Show me a pic, I’ll tell ya!
    I will try and find a photo as the mask is buried somewhere in the shed!

Your mask is friggin awesome by the way!
  • You’ve got:

Halloween

halloween1.jpg

Halloween 2 (this is in fact literally the same prop used in the first movie, but age, and a different sized actor noggin makes it look like a different mask)

Halloween-2.jpg

Halloween 4

halloween-4.jpg

Halloween 5

halloween-5.jpg

Halloween 6

halloween-6.jpg

Halloween H20

h20masks.jpg

Halloween Resurrection

halloween-res.jpeg

Rob Zombie’s Halloween

michael-myers-halloween-20071.jpg

Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2

halloween-2-rz1.jpg
    IMG_20171007_165258.jpg

My mask seems to have ginger hair!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love the Halloween series, but have always wondered why the mask is constantly changing in design and why the filmmakers didn't stick to one style for the whole run. Are we to believe that Michael owns a storage house outside Haddonfield full of rejected William Shatner masks, which he just paints white to go off on each spree?

I personally think the first film (and technically second) had the best mask, as it was far simpler in design and also better fit. Later masks either had a horrible fit or just looked wonky in how they were molded, and I can get taken out of the film just by how awkward Michael looks in the mask.
  • I too would have preferred one mask, just like Indiana Jones’ hat.
    They could have just aged it each movie (which Rob Zombie did for his sequel- the one thing I liked about that shit movie)

At least in part 4 we see Michael grabbing a new one at the shop!
    I've only seen Halloween, H2 and Halloween H20.

Didn't think the others were worth bothering with.
  • 4 is definitely worth a viewing. It’s actually one of the better ones.
    And I do enjoy Rob Zombie’s first one (avoid the sequel like the plague)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've only seen Halloween, H2 and Halloween H20.

Didn't think the others were worth bothering with.

@LeonardPine, you've seen all my favorites then, by which I mean the original, no ret-con timeline of the films. I don't think you're missing out on a lot, but as a fan I just watched them all growing up because they were always on TV and got me in the Halloween mood (which they should, going by the title). I think it's H4 that also has a Brady character, so that was always amusing for me as I watched the others. Some of the movies are interesting, at the very least, like the one that depicts an older Tommy Jarvis (the boy Laurie babysits in the first film). Other ones, like Resurrection, are interesting in premise but fall short in execution (though Laurie does appear, without going into too much).
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Older Tommy Doyle was played by Paul Rudd- his acting has improved quite a bit ;)
    I have seen Rob Zombie's Halloween. Unfortunately. Utter garbage.

By the way, @Master_Dahark what did you think of my dodgy mask?!!
    Looks better in the dark!
    IMG_20171007_171825.jpg
  • Very nice! I especially love that dark shot with the pumpkins!

I was thinking about taking my overalls out somewhere remote and putting actual bullet holes in it, lol
    I love the Halloween series, but have always wondered why the mask is constantly changing in design and why the filmmakers didn't stick to one style for the whole run. Are we to believe that Michael owns a storage house outside Haddonfield full of rejected William Shatner masks, which he just paints white to go off on each spree?

I personally think the first film (and technically second) had the best mask, as it was far simpler in design and also better fit. Later masks either had a horrible fit or just looked wonky in how they were molded, and I can get taken out of the film just by how awkward Michael looks in the mask.

As far as I'm concerned there's only the first movie which is my all-time favourite horror movie (well, with The Shining and Nosferatu). The rest go from poor to dreadful sequels and the less said about the trashy Zombie's remake the better.
    Ludovico wrote: »

As far as I'm concerned there's only the first movie which is my all-time favourite horror movie (well, with The Shining and Nosferatu). The rest go from poor to dreadful sequels and the less said about the trashy Zombie's remake the better.

@Ludovico, #1 is my favorite horror film too. If I was alive during the film's releases I'd probably hate the later sequels too, but growing up watching them has made me somewhat nostalgic for them and anyway, Carpenter's work with the first 2 isn't marred.

@Ludovico, #1 is my favorite horror film too. If I was alive during the film's releases I'd probably hate the later sequels too, but growing up watching them has made me somewhat nostalgic for them and anyway, Carpenter's work with the first 2 isn't marred.

You can take or ignore the Halloween timeline as Brady states, it doesn't affect the Carpenter ones or vice versa.

I jump from the first two, to H20 and then ignore Resurrection or whatever it was called.

I watched the Rob Zombie Halloween out of curiosity and regretted it.

I shall be playing my Halloween soundtrack a lot in the coming weeks...
    Even the second one was not that good, Carpenter himself admitted it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    While being one of the worst films in the series, Resurrection has the best mask since part 2.

While Carpenter didn't actually direct it, his good name was still associated with it and of course he did the (very good) music.

Trouble is, Halloween II looks like one of the original film's own imitators. A second rate stalk and slash affair, with none of the style and suspense of the original.

While Carpenter didn't actually direct it, his good name was still associated with it and of course he did the (very good) music.

Trouble is, Halloween II looks like one of the original film's own imitators. A second rate stalk and slash affair, with none of the style and suspense of the original.

Carpenter said that it was a "six packs script" i.e. that he was writing after drinking six Budweisers. It gave the same story just not as good (I paraphrase).
    I'm assuming then that he applied the same method when he wrote 'Escape From LA'....
    Haven't seen either of his Escapes. Anyway back on topic and my disdain of his Halloween 2 notwithstanding I'm very excited about the Halloween sequel in the making.
    Haven't seen either of his Escapes. Anyway back on topic and my disdain of his Halloween 2 notwithstanding I'm very excited about the Halloween sequel in the making.

Can't say I'm all that excited myself, I mean didn't Laurie Strode have her 'final confrontation' with Michael in H20..? Where at the end she DECAPITATED him?!!!

Not sure what can be added to this latest sequel as I think H20 was a pretty smart and slick conclusion to the series.

Mind you apparently Judy Greer is in it and I rather like her acting.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Can't say I'm all that excited myself, I mean didn't Laurie Strode have her 'final confrontation' with Michael in H20..? Where at the end she DECAPITATED him?!!!

Not sure what can be added to this latest sequel as I think H20 was a pretty smart and slick conclusion to the series.

The new film will ignore everything after Halloween 2.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 3,985

The new film will ignore everything after Halloween 2.

Some guy called David Gordon Green writing and directing, with Carpenter not involved.

Can't say I'm waiting with baited breath...
    How didn't I hear about this until now?!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jamie-lee-curtis-halloween-finale-set-2018-1202560418/

That's amazing if they got both Jaime and Carpenter back, and on top of that they want this to be the last of the Halloween films!

All in time for the 40th anniversary.