No Time To Die: Production Diary

19839849869889892563

Comments

  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 4,043
    Beyonce tends to have an army of songwriters to produce her albums for her, she is just a voice and an image, a hugely successful one.

    She does have a great voice and if they can get the right collaborators involved, I supposed it would be asking too much for the person who gets scoring duties to be part of that project though.

    One of the reasons why YKMN is such a fan favourite is because it's throughout the film in different arrangements.

    It would be great to bookend DC's career with that kind of thing again. One of the reasons I'm hoping DA gets back on board for his swansong.

    I'm not against the director using anyone else as long as it's not TN, his SF score was suitable and had some real fine moments but his next one well....


    TN has had enough chances to nail it and he can't DA was really getting it with CR and especially QOS.

    I know TN is Oscar nominated and greatly respected and his most likely more skilled and versatile than DA but Arnold knows Bond and gets it.

    We certainly don't need subtlety with Bond 25, if DC can't have a full on blatant Bond score there is something wrong. If Demange is the man I hope he doesn't want his White Boy Rick composer back but the fear is that TN may well get more Bond scores under his belt in the DC era than Dave and that would be wrong.

    That Oscar nomination for the SF score carries allot of weight I'm afraid and YD might want him back, I hope not but it's definitely not off the table.

    As a bookend and a musical tribute to it's co writer a new arrangement of YKMN would be a great thing to hear in Bond 25 and if BB & MGW can keep going back to P&W then I can think of worse places to go for music than David Arnold.

  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If Yann is indeed the man I'm happy.

    Thought 71 was very good, anymore news out there on back to back filming of 2?

    This sounds great but I'm inclined to take it with a pinch of salt, unless this is the plan and they'll keep it concealed till the press conference and then bang you aren't just getting Bond 25, 26 will follow fairly sharply after.

    Kind of a dream for most Bond fans but not sure, I'm thinking one more and DC is out, he dismissed 2 back to back before, unless they've found a way to do this that won't consume his time in a way you'd imagine shooting 2 would involve.

    Like to know what @RC7 & @ColonelSun our resident industry members make of this?

    I haven't heard anything about it so can't say either way really.

    My instinct is that it's false. The only plausible reason I can see for shooting two back to back is an interconnected narrative. In which case I would think EON pretty dumb to assume there's a market for it. @QuantumOrganization refuses to contextualise his position so it's hard to know whether he is being genuine or whether it's hot air from his quasi-Bond alumni Facebook friends.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 4,043
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If Yann is indeed the man I'm happy.

    Thought 71 was very good, anymore news out there on back to back filming of 2?

    This sounds great but I'm inclined to take it with a pinch of salt, unless this is the plan and they'll keep it concealed till the press conference and then bang you aren't just getting Bond 25, 26 will follow fairly sharply after.

    Kind of a dream for most Bond fans but not sure, I'm thinking one more and DC is out, he dismissed 2 back to back before, unless they've found a way to do this that won't consume his time in a way you'd imagine shooting 2 would involve.

    Like to know what @RC7 & @ColonelSun our resident industry members make of this?

    I haven't heard anything about it so can't say either way really.

    My instinct is that it's false. The only plausible reason I can see for shooting two back to back is an interconnected narrative. In which case I would think EON pretty dumb to assume there's a market for it. @QuantumOrganization refuses to contextualise his position so it's hard to know whether he is being genuine or whether it's hot air from his quasi-Bond alumni Facebook friends.

    Thanks @RC7 I'm more likely to take you seasoned members with a proven track record of having inside knowledge like yourself and the @ColonelSun on things like this.

    Back to back does sound quite fantastical especially when DC rather openly said no chance or more colourful metaphors in normal DC fashion to that effect.

    I guess we are going to see so many rumours now it's been green lit and DC is back just like the Beyonce one, although that seems more plausible and than Bond 25 & 26 being shot continuously.

  • Posts: 1,298
    Shardlake wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If Yann is indeed the man I'm happy.

    Thought 71 was very good, anymore news out there on back to back filming of 2?

    This sounds great but I'm inclined to take it with a pinch of salt, unless this is the plan and they'll keep it concealed till the press conference and then bang you aren't just getting Bond 25, 26 will follow fairly sharply after.

    Kind of a dream for most Bond fans but not sure, I'm thinking one more and DC is out, he dismissed 2 back to back before, unless they've found a way to do this that won't consume his time in a way you'd imagine shooting 2 would involve.

    Like to know what @RC7 & @ColonelSun our resident industry members make of this?

    I haven't heard anything about it so can't say either way really.

    My instinct is that it's false. The only plausible reason I can see for shooting two back to back is an interconnected narrative. In which case I would think EON pretty dumb to assume there's a market for it. @QuantumOrganization refuses to contextualise his position so it's hard to know whether he is being genuine or whether it's hot air from his quasi-Bond alumni Facebook friends.

    Thanks @RC7 I'm more likely to take you seasoned members with a proven track record of having inside knowledge like yourself and the @ColonelSun on things like this.

    Back to back does sound quite fantastical especially when DC rather openly said no chance or more colourful metaphors in normal DC fashion to that effect.

    I guess we are going to see so many rumours now it's been green lit and DC is back just like the Beyonce one, although that seems more plausible and than Bond 25 & 26 being shot continuously.

    I agree with @RC7 - I just don't buy back-to-back films. It's a huge production number (and a long scripting job) and if they were, as some think, shooting from May '18, they'd be charging into pre-production now. I haven't heard of that happening and I know a number of crew who work on the Bonds and have done since the Brosnan days - and they've not mentioned anything to me. So my guess is pre-production in May for one film- as per the usual Eon Bond schedule.
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,171
    It takes them (EON) three to four years between one film as it is. To organise back to back filming would be highly unlikely.
    If they did, how long would the next hiatus be. Ten years!
  • Posts: 4,619
    RC7 wrote: »
    @QuantumOrganization refuses to contextualise his position so it's hard to know whether he is being genuine or whether it's hot air from his quasi-Bond alumni Facebook friends.
    I have been saying for days that @QuantumOrganization needs to man up and tell us more.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 4,043
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If Yann is indeed the man I'm happy.

    Thought 71 was very good, anymore news out there on back to back filming of 2?

    This sounds great but I'm inclined to take it with a pinch of salt, unless this is the plan and they'll keep it concealed till the press conference and then bang you aren't just getting Bond 25, 26 will follow fairly sharply after.

    Kind of a dream for most Bond fans but not sure, I'm thinking one more and DC is out, he dismissed 2 back to back before, unless they've found a way to do this that won't consume his time in a way you'd imagine shooting 2 would involve.

    Like to know what @RC7 & @ColonelSun our resident industry members make of this?

    I haven't heard anything about it so can't say either way really.

    My instinct is that it's false. The only plausible reason I can see for shooting two back to back is an interconnected narrative. In which case I would think EON pretty dumb to assume there's a market for it. @QuantumOrganization refuses to contextualise his position so it's hard to know whether he is being genuine or whether it's hot air from his quasi-Bond alumni Facebook friends.

    Thanks @RC7 I'm more likely to take you seasoned members with a proven track record of having inside knowledge like yourself and the @ColonelSun on things like this.

    Back to back does sound quite fantastical especially when DC rather openly said no chance or more colourful metaphors in normal DC fashion to that effect.

    I guess we are going to see so many rumours now it's been green lit and DC is back just like the Beyonce one, although that seems more plausible and than Bond 25 & 26 being shot continuously.

    I agree with @RC7 - I just don't buy back-to-back films. It's a huge production number (and a long scripting job) and if they were, as some think, shooting from May '18, they'd be charging into pre-production now. I haven't heard of that happening and I know a number of crew who work on the Bonds and have done since the Brosnan days - and they've not mentioned anything to me. So my guess is pre-production in May for one film- as per the usual Eon Bond schedule.

    Thanks @ColonelSun as usual like @RC7 I've got no inside track and it's always good to get both your takes even if some other members question it

    I'm merely a fan and appreciate these little bits of information from you both.
  • Posts: 3,314
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Seems like Demange likes to work with cinematographer Tat Radcliffe (both 71' and in soon-to-premiere 'White Boy Rick'), who have shot all his full length movies using Arri Alexa.
    bondsum wrote: »
    no one seems at all bothered by Demange's shaky-cam-style approach of direction, reminiscent of Marc Forster and Greengrass.
    Demange has made two full length movies so far - one still in postprduction - and both Greengrass and Forster have made several movies that weren't shaky cam mayhem.
    I was also referring to Demange's TV work in my assessment, which all have an overuse of handheld camera techniques. It's not just solely based on his 71 movie. Please tell me that you've checked out all his other work before submitting your knee-jerk comment?

    Would you also care to name the several Greengrass movies that didn't use shaky-cam, as I'm at a bit of a loss myself? If memory serves me right, United 93, Captain Philips, Green Zone, plus all the Bournes all used shaky-cam. I'll admit Marc Foster is perhaps less deserving of being labeled a "shaky-cam" extraordinaire, but his one-time Bond effort did embrace those particular techniques for which he is remembered, whether rightly or wrongly, by the majority of fans here.
  • Posts: 8,924
    Personally if it is a 2 parter as it's now rumored then I would be happy as I would green both Garden of Death and Blofeld for titles sorry I know I am in the minority here but the idea of Craig's era going

    Casino Royale 2006
    Quantum of Solace 2008
    Skyfall 2012
    Spectre 2015
    Garden of Death 2019
    Blofeld 2020

    Would make this Bond fan happy and of course yes I can start the Huddleston era with

    007 in New York for 2022

    Ok maybe the last part I am kidding about but both me and my wife like Hiddleston for the role we also like Fassbender but considering he will be mid 40's by the time he takes the role my issue is unless we get a film once every other year again I doubt Fassbender will A) take up the mantle and B) do only one or 2 with the 3-4 year gap

    As for Yann I might check out 71 at some point... however people I trust on here say Yann will be good and people who don't like the idea keep comparing him to my favorite Bond director Marc Forester and my second favorite film Quantum of Solace so I am still excited
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 35,383
    I'd take a big pass on Hiddleston. I was warming to the idea when discussions about a new actor were pretty rampant on the forums, but now I don't want him anywhere near the role. Fassbender would still be my number one choice, although he'll likely be deemed too old when the time comes.

    They may have to go with someone much younger if we aren't getting a new installment but every three or four years.
  • Posts: 1,909
    Shatterhand part 1, Shatterhand part 2

    That's whatnot should be called if it's a 2 parter
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Hiddleston, Fassbender or Goode will work for me. Looking for someone significantly suaver next time out, which is why I'm not too keen on Hardy even though I'm sure he could do well under Nolan.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Posts: 1,187
    which is a ridiculous statement,
    Well said. If it turns out that @QuantumOrganization and his source was right about EON filming two movies as one long production then I will start paying attention to him. For now, this rumour sounds pretty ridiculous. Hasn't Craig alwas been against the idea? And why would they hire someone relatively inexperienced (compared to directors such as Campbell or Mendes) like Demange to direct two movies back-to-back for the first time in the franchise's history? Demange directing one action-light Bond film makes 100% sense. Him directing two movies back-to-back doesn't.

    Has quantum organization made correct calls in the past is he a reliable source?
    I predicted an announcement for late A
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hiddleston, Fassbender or Goode will work for me. Looking for someone significantly suaver next time out, which is why I'm not too keen on Hardy even though I'm sure he could do well under Nolan.
    Save that discussion for Bond 27 or beyond.

  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hiddleston, Fassbender or Goode will work for me. Looking for someone significantly suaver next time out, which is why I'm not too keen on Hardy even though I'm sure he could do well under Nolan.
    Save that discussion for Bond 27 or beyond.
    Really? Still convinced about the double bill are you? Looking forward to the announcement next month with some interest.
  • Posts: 3,045
    bondsum wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Seems like Demange likes to work with cinematographer Tat Radcliffe (both 71' and in soon-to-premiere 'White Boy Rick'), who have shot all his full length movies using Arri Alexa.
    bondsum wrote: »
    no one seems at all bothered by Demange's shaky-cam-style approach of direction, reminiscent of Marc Forster and Greengrass.
    Demange has made two full length movies so far - one still in postprduction - and both Greengrass and Forster have made several movies that weren't shaky cam mayhem.
    I was also referring to Demange's TV work in my assessment, which all have an overuse of handheld camera techniques. It's not just solely based on his 71 movie. Please tell me that you've checked out all his other work before submitting your knee-jerk comment?
    No, I haven't checked out his work in some of the episodes from Top Boy, Dead Set etc. So this disqualifies me for having an opinion?
    bondsum wrote: »
    Would you also care to name the several Greengrass movies that didn't use shaky-cam, as I'm at a bit of a loss myself? If memory serves me right, United 93, Captain Philips, Green Zone, plus all the Bournes all used shaky-cam
    Are you honestly comparing the shaky cam mayhem from QoS and Bourne to United 93 and Captain Philips where it was used sparringly?
    bondsum wrote: »
    . I'll admit Marc Foster is perhaps less deserving of being labeled a "shaky-cam" extraordinaire, but his one-time Bond effort did embrace those particular techniques for which he is remembered, whether rightly or wrongly, by the majority of fans here.
    World War Z and The Kite Runner weren't shaky-cam movies.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,569
    Just to be clear, Forster never utilized shaky cam (and very little hand-held) for QoS.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,045
    Q: " Is this the studio responding to Jason Bourne breathing down their necks that they feel they have to adopt this very similar “shaky cam” editing style in order to compete?’

    ‘No it wasn’t,’ Forster replies. ‘The studio didn’t really say much, it was more from me."
    http://commanderbond.net/6918/marc-forster-on-quantum-of-solace-working-with-david-arnold.html
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,569
    Was the editing frantic at times? Certainly. But the camera remained still for 90% of the film. The only case of hand-held I recall was during the Slate fight.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Posts: 464
    Hello all bond fans i'm new to this forum and like all of you guys i'm very excited for bond 25 and daniel craig returning for the 5th and final time let's discuss the bond girl you guys would like to see cast in bond 25 one of my personal choices is scarlett johansson.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    The action editing was extremely Bournesque. I think most would agree. I believe they brought on some of their team for this as well.

    I agree that shaky cam wasn't used in the non-action scenes, but it was in Bourne.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,045
    They zoomed a lot, back, forth and across during the frame that "remained still." That's shaky cam to me. The editing is even worse.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,569
    Zekidk wrote: »
    They zoomed a lot, back, forth and across during the frame that "remained still." That's shaky cam to me. Just watch the PTS. The editing is even worse.
    Just did. There are numerous "shaky" close-ups, but no zooming. I still wouldn't label it as shaky cam, at least not nearly to the extent of the Bourne films.

    Reverting back to the discussion, while 71 looks great in its own right, the shaky cam there is definately not the approach I would like for B25 (ot any Bond film for that matter).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Hello all bond fans i'm new to this forum and like all of you guys i'm very excited for bond 25 and daniel craig returning for the 5th and final time let's discuss the bond girl you guys would like to see cast in bond 25 one of my personal choices is scarlett johansson.
    Wecome @Goldeneye0094 . Good to have you on board.

    Regarding the Bond girl, as long as it's not Lea Seydoux again I'll be quite relieved.

    With respect to Johansson, she's quite a babe certainly, but perhaps is a bit too famous now with her ongoing Black Widow role (which she will reprise in the two Infinity War films).

    I'd prefer someone a bit less well known although I fear with Craig back again we may be limited to age appropriate women like in Moore's later years. My preference is for someone young.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Posts: 1,756
    Handheld isn't necessarily a bad thing imo. I don't know why so many people are against it.

    A lot of filmmakers adopt it because it effectively makes a scene more serious and tense. I find too much of a still cam can make things feel dated and too "studio-y". It's also easier to get into the action, because you're not confined in anyway. Think of Dunkirk, which did handheld beautifully. I can't really imagine some of those beach scenes had they been on a steadicam or rail.

    Honestly I don't think Demange is dumb. He'll do the right thing.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,045
    Jake24. Some of the shots of the cars are zoomed from the original frame, but no matter what you call it, it's a fact that many - like myself - found QoS very hard to follow, because of the s̶h̶a̶k̶y̶c̶a way it was filmed and edited. So many set pieces wasted.

    None of this for B25, please. If they have to use handheld steadycam, they should use the same continuous steadycam style as used in 'Bushwick' (best I have ever seen).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Folks should watch Atomic Blonde. The fights there were quite tense and visceral without resorting to frenetic editing.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,569
    @dominicgreene I love handheld stuff, including whenver it's used in Bond films. It's the aggresive shaky cam as if the DoP is having a seizure behind the camera that I detest when it comes to Bond.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Posts: 2,729
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Jake24. Some of the shots of the cars are zoomed from the original frame, but no matter what you call it, it's a fact that many - like myself - found QoS very hard to follow, because of the s̶h̶a̶k̶y̶c̶a way it was filmed and edited. So many set pieces wasted.

    None of this for B25, please. If they have to use handheld steadycam, they should use the same continuous steadycam style as used in 'Bushwick' (best I have ever seen).

    Thats a fair opinion. Shakey cam wouldnt work for a film like skyfall or CR, however i think it works perfectly for qos and the action in qos. To make you really feel like your there right with bond in that car chase. For me it just makes it more high octane and if they go for another revenge story i would like to see "shakey bourne cam" if not then well dont have shakey cam.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    edited August 2017 Posts: 464
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hello all bond fans i'm new to this forum and like all of you guys i'm very excited for bond 25 and daniel craig returning for the 5th and final time let's discuss the bond girl you guys would like to see cast in bond 25 one of my personal choices is scarlett johansson.
    Wecome @Goldeneye0094 . Good to have you on board.

    Regarding the Bond girl, as long as it's not Lea Seydoux again I'll be quite relieved.

    With respect to Johansson, she's quite a babe certainly, but perhaps is a bit too famous now with her ongoing Black Widow role (which she will reprise in the two Infinity War films).

    I'd prefer someone a bit less well known although I fear with Craig back again we may be limited to age appropriate women like in Moore's later years. My preference is for someone young.

    The reason i prefer johansson is because she is not only beautiful and sexy but extremely talented and with her onscreen personna with black widow and lucy she can really have great chemistry with craig particularly if they cast her as a CIA agent and yes it is common for eon to cast lesser known actresses for bond girls but they have casted big names before like halle berry so they can do it again but i do respect your opinion bondjames, Christina Hendricks and Catherine Zeta-Jones would be great too as older women for craig.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    bondjames wrote: »
    Folks should watch Atomic Blonde. The fights there were quite tense and visceral without resorting to frenetic editing.
    +1
Sign In or Register to comment.