No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With everything aiming towards Yann getting to direct, I think I'll have to fire up ''71' at some point this weekend.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am positive about this director's casting if it's true - yet not convinced it will be B25+26 back-to-back ... even I would find that very cool
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Anyone know where to watch 71? I don't even know what it's about and just wanna jump in.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Nothing has changed since the Variety article stating that Demange was the favourite out of the three directors presented by Deadline (who said they all had meetings with the producers). What's all this hot air for?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    IMDb lists one feature film on his CV, namely 71, along with the upcoming White Boy Rick. The rest are tv series and documentaries.

So where is this confidence coming from, particularly for a complex production like Bond? Just curious. Was 71 such a blow out film? I'd never even heard of it until his name was bandied about in the press.

This seems to be the case. I haven't seen any of this guy's work, at least not that I'm aware of but if he's good, has the talent and wowed everyone in the room with his pitch then EoN have taken a huge step in the right direction. This is a tactic that Marvel often pulls when choosing their directors and it largely pays off. Hopefully speculation about Demange bringing in others to rewrite the script is true and elevates things.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Hopefully this will all be sorted out and made official in the coming weeks!!! I am very excited about the possibility of a Yann directed film though. It does strike me as odd the someone who seems as particular about the content he directs as Yann does would direct a 2 film shoot. However like I said earlier I believe Quantum has the inside scoop on this film.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,043
    If Yann is indeed the man I'm happy.

Thought 71 was very good, anymore news out there on back to back filming of 2?

This sounds great but I'm inclined to take it with a pinch of salt, unless this is the plan and they'll keep it concealed till the press conference and then bang you aren't just getting Bond 25, 26 will follow fairly sharply after.

Kind of a dream for most Bond fans but not sure, I'm thinking one more and DC is out, he dismissed 2 back to back before, unless they've found a way to do this that won't consume his time in a way you'd imagine shooting 2 would involve.

Like to know what @RC7 & @ColonelSun our resident industry members make of this?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If they are shooting back 2 back, which is a ridiculous statement, then there will be a 6 months break. So Nov 2019 and May/June 2020. That being said, its an outrageous idea - doesn't bare thinking about.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 6,682
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone could really be expected to incorporate the unmelodic QoS or DAD songs in their compositions. They weren't written with that in mind. That's an example of what can happen when there are independent points of view.

I think they can be incorporated into the scores, just probably not as romantic themes. I have a half-completed arrangement of DAD in attempted John Barry style. I just tried my hand at it to see what I could come up with, and it wound up sounding like a funeral dirge. I can see it being appropriate for at least one scene in the film. (I may upload it when it's finished.) The DAD song may not be suitable to be the "main theme" of a score, but it can be integrated into it in another capacity.

As you may remember, the theme of The Living Daylights was incorporated into the score not as a love theme, but as an action and suspense one, with Barry using If There Was a Man for the romantic scenes. So there's always a way.
    Yes. please post it when you're done.

I agree that there's always a way. I just don't think it should be a necessity to do it if the track doesn't 'readily' lend itself to that type of use. Why go through all kinds of effort to squeeze a square peg into a round hole, so to speak? When Barry wrote his title tracks he always ensured they had a distinct melodic & hummable hook to them, thereby lending themselves to incorporation into a composition. Lots of highs and lows. I can understand a composer (who by his/her nature is a creative type) not wanting to manipulate someone else's work which he/she didn't write.

Yes, I agree on TLD. However both A-ha's main track and The Pretender's Where Has Everybody Gone were reasonably fast paced, lending themselves to action scenes.

While it's certainly not essential, I think the reason to go through the effort is providing cohesiveness to the music of the film. The title song shouldn't be a separate entity from the score, but part of it; since it's intended to be a representation of the film, a summation of its story and its themes, it makes perfect sense to hear it throughout the movie. Now, as you say, a song might not necessarily lend itself to that, but I suspect every song has at least something --a phrase, a chord progression, etc.-- that can be successfully integrated into the rest of the score. The music of a film is a storytelling tool, and as such, it should be treated like a symphony, with motifs and recurring ideas., which is why a title song shouldn't just be heard once and then discarded. John Barry believed this: when by request, he composed a second title song for Thunderball, he went back to his score and inserted the theme in different places. Admittedly, it was his own song, and I'm sure he wouldn't have been as interested in doing that, if at all, with someone else's work, but I think an effort should be made in the service of the (musical) storytelling. And personally, I think there's still a fair amount of creativity involved in the process of taking a song and integrating it into a score.

I finished my arrangement, but I'm not sure in which thread to post it. Any ideas? Edit: I found the thread. I knew there was a rescore thread somewhere!
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    which is a ridiculous statement,
    Well said. If it turns out that @QuantumOrganization and his source was right about EON filming two movies as one long production then I will start paying attention to him. For now, this rumour sounds pretty ridiculous. Hasn't Craig alwas been against the idea? And why would they hire someone relatively inexperienced (compared to directors such as Campbell or Mendes) like Demange to direct two movies back-to-back for the first time in the franchise's history? Demange directing one action-light Bond film makes 100% sense. Him directing two movies back-to-back doesn't.

• I want the fun back in Bond.

"I'm an early riser myself"
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    which is a ridiculous statement,
    Well said. If it turns out that @QuantumOrganization and his source was right about EON filming two movies as one long production then I will start paying attention to him. For now, this rumour sounds pretty ridiculous. Hasn't Craig alwas been against the idea? And why would they hire someone relatively inexperienced (compared to directors such as Campbell or Mendes) like Demange to direct two movies back-to-back for the first time in the franchise's history? Demange directing one action-light Bond film makes 100% sense. Him directing two movies back-to-back doesn't.

Has quantum organization made correct calls in the past is he a reliable source?
    Murdock wrote: »
    I've composed the score for Bond 25. Just play it on loop. It will fit like a glove.
    http://picosong.com/wsuwM/

Give me my oscar. :))

:))
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    FYI, Megan Ellison, founder of Annapurna Pictures tweets pretty much every single day and the only movie news (that wasn't about a movie that is know to be an Annapurna Pictures film) she retweeted in the last couple of weeks is still the announcemet of Craig's return.

It seems more and more likely that Annapurna Pictures will distribute Bond 25. (Although I'm still thinking it's Warner that won the race.)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    I've composed the score for Bond 25. Just play it on loop. It will fit like a glove.
    http://picosong.com/wsuwM/

Give me my oscar. :))
    Haha!
    I don't think Craig would be against the 2 back to back films as long as he is having fun doing it and he really enjoys the story.
    God, Daniel himself confirmed that Bond 25 will be his final and last outing as 007. Can't we just....accept his words? Or were his "Slash my wrists" comments really that telling..
    I will assume Bond 25 is Craig's last for now since he implied it would be. Unless 26 comes only a year after 25, I don't think it would he such a great idea for Craig to do more than one more.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Is Yann a Bond Fan? Cause thats a must for a Bond director.
    Apparently he has offered ideas that wowed the producers.

As long as one of them is not para surfing through ice bergs? I am all for new ideas!
    So you're okay if they give Bond an Iron Man suit. ;)

Gustav Graves had one? Anything is possible! Lol!

Can't see DC doing back to back movies!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Is Yann a Bond Fan? Cause thats a must for a Bond director.
    Apparently he has offered ideas that wowed the producers.

As long as one of them is not para surfing through ice bergs? I am all for new ideas!
    So you're okay if they give Bond an Iron Man suit. ;)

Gustav Graves had one? Anything is possible! Lol!

Can't see DC doing back to back movies!
    He did? @Gustav_Graves, our friend says you have an Iron Man suit.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Based on conversations I've had with fair weather fans of the Bond series, the unanimous opinion is that Blofeld in SP was a bust. More interestingly perhaps is a consensus (but not unanimous) view that the character is played out. More than one person asked me why they brought him back, with one mentioning that he was caricatured in Austin Powers (including the cat) and another noting that he was already used so many times in the early Bond films. I had to remind people that we are in a 'reboot' universe (yes, more than one had forgotten that).

Takeaways:
    If I was EON, I would dump this Blofeld continuation idea for B25 and go with a straight standalone. They can have a #2 if they want, but I would mention Blofeld only in passing, if at all. I realize this suggestion may disappoint Fleming purists.
    Spot on 100%
    You make some good points but I just cant see them dumping Blofeld
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I still find it hard to swallow that Demange will be the choice. He simply doesn't have the experience handling a film/production of this size and magnitude. And this isn't just James Bond; it's DC's last James Bond.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just saw ''71,' damn good stuff. B25 is in good hands if Demange does get it.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    TripAces wrote: »
    I still find it hard to swallow that Demange will be the choice. He simply doesn't have the experience handling a film/production of this size and magnitude. And this isn't just James Bond; it's DC's last James Bond.

Peter Hunt never directed a thing before OHMSS. Just sayin'...
    If Mendes can get someone to assist with the action & bring full energy to the table like he did with Skyfall then I would probably be okay with him doing a 3rd film.

The only othe rones at this point that excite me would be Nolan, Campbell or Spielberg.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Minion wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

Peter Hunt never directed a thing before OHMSS. Just sayin'...

Not strictly true, Peter Hunt was second unit director on both YOLT and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang before OHMSS. Second unit is still directing.

From the majority of other posters here, I notice no one seems at all bothered by Demange's shaky-cam-style approach of direction, reminiscent of Marc Forster and Greengrass. Therefore, there's a chance that Bond 25 could end up looking more like a Jason Bourne film than a Bond one. I'm not sure I can put my faith in those that offer up their incontestable assurances without scrutinizing what the end product might look like.