No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• KuzcoKuzco france
    Craig will be asked about Bond.
    It is very probable but not certain
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be shocked if after all this time (particularly given the recent B25 announcement) they don't bring up Bond once.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Could it be that EON make the announcement before the interview?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe "I need a year off" Craig
    ggl007 wrote: »

Strategically that would be wise, however it's not in EON's nature to be forthright.

I feel like all the press and marketing would go away from 'Logan Lucky' and turn into a B25 questionnaire, which they may want to avoid.
    Maybe they want to let the star have his day? Let him make the announcement that he's back for at least one more?

I do find it hard to believe that the incumbent Bond won't be asked about his most famous role.

If nothing is mentioned, I'd have to believe he isn't Bond any longer.

However, I strongly believe: where there's smoke, there's fire, and right now DC's surrounded on all sides.
    I suppose we'll find out in four days time. Hopefully someone is kind enough to update the thread accordingly for those who can't watch it.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Craig asked EON not to announce he is coming back yet until after the Lucky Logan press tour. Cause if they did then that's all he would be asked is about Bond and not Lucky Logan
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I don't think if it's positive that he will be allowed to say so affirmatively on Colbert. They said that announcements will be made at a later date and I believe them. Anything concerning Bond 25 will be done in a concerted and official fashion.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Craig asked EON not to announce he is coming back yet until after the Lucky Logan press tour. Cause if they did then that's all he would be asked is about Bond and not Lucky Logan

But given the announcement of B25, he's going to be asked about it, anyway. I doubt the entire press tour will encompass a discussion on 'Logan Lucky' and nothing else.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,154
    A couple month ago Colbert asked David Oyelowo whether Craig will be back for 25 as if David's an authority on that matter. I doubt he will pass up the chance to ask the man himself
    00Agent wrote: »
    A couple month ago Colbert asked David Oyelowo whether Craig will be back for 25 as if David's an authority on that matter. I doubt he will pass up the chance to ask the man himself

The Craig smirk will light up this thread for months to come, I'm sure of it.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,292
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have a question. How did they announce Brosnan's departure? Was it concurrently with the announcement of Craig or was there a gap? Did Brosnan let it out or was it EON? Just curious.

Brosnan himself announced it on his website

What's interesting about that though is how close it seemed they were to going back on it. There were lots of rumours, Brosnan said that Sony wanted him back but that it was up to EON, this very site posted an exclusive that Brosnan would be back after all and this was after CR and the release date had already been announced. I think that if it weren't for Barbara and MGW putting their feet down we would have had Brosnan back since he was the safer choice. But really it just goes to show how up in the air it all is. I'm sure there were plenty back then who thought Brosnan's back, it's just a matter of time, etc.

Having said that my money is on Craig. At least in 2005 they had a few decent seeming candidates where you could think okay, that makes sense. But noone has stuck out to me from the recent rumoured names. There are a few actors who I think would be good, but for one reason or another I can't seem them getting it. Right now Craig returning just seems like the most believeable choice.
    Well we know with some certainty that Babs favours Craig. What others think is not known to us at present (although I'd love to know).

So given she's the one who makes the call ("it's not a democracy" according to Mendes), Craig is a shoo-in.

EDIT: I really wonder if there has been some tension and politics behind the scenes. Something tells me there has been.
    Well we know with some certainty that Babs favours Craig. What others think is not known to us at present (although I'd love to know).

So given she's the one who makes the call ("it's not a democracy" according to Mendes), Craig is a shoo-in.

Absolutely. And maybe its for the best.
  • KuzcoKuzco france
    I don't think if it's positive that he will be allowed to say so affirmatively on Colbert. They said that announcements will be made at a later date and I believe them. Anything concerning Bond 25 will be done in a concerted and official fashion.

it exactly what i think , this will be official and not revealed on tv show.
    Kuzco wrote: »

it exactly what i think , this will be official and not revealed on tv show.
    The real fun will be seeing how they brush it off. I'm assuming the question must come up (the audience will expect it), and he will need some prepared 'deflect' answer.
    Daniel Craig just said: "I'd rather love shagging one of the Bond girl actresses on set!"
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I feel like all the press and marketing would go away from 'Logan Lucky' and turn into a B25 questionnaire, which they may want to avoid.
    Precisely why I think Craig was absent from the announcement a few weeks back.
    jake24 wrote: »

Precisely why I think Craig was absent from the announcement a few weeks back.

Very well could be. I'm sure whether they named him during the announcement or not, he was going to be getting Bond questions thrown his way either way.
    EDIT: I really wonder if there has been some tension and politics behind the scenes. Something tells me there has been.

I've looked back on a couple of interviews I copied around the release of SPECTRE but Craig only mentions a fall out with Mendes during Skyfall but they worked through it as personal friends.

I didn't make a note of the website\publisher when I copied the interview below...but it came after the slashing his wrist comments and demonstrate his wish to carry on...

These films are such a huge commitment, why would you want to do more?

Money! No, I love playing him. It’s an honour to play him, I get such a big kick out of doing it

What do you love most about him?
    His inner conflict. It’s about, when he’s knocked down, how he gets up. He takes a lot of battering and so he should, he’s an agent. But it’s how he stands up against adversity because he’s one against many.

I was impressed by the one against many comment. The Fleming Bond certainly gets a lot of battering but still brings down the enemy in the end without the cavalry. It's why I admire the Bond of the novels and it's gratifying that Craig gets it too.
    Thanks for that @Cowley; so much obsession over his "other" comment, it's nice to read of some of his positive thoughts on the character.

And yes, he does "get" Bond.

I sincerely hope whomever is the director takes us back to the tone of CR where salty Craig best thrives (no matter his age, IMHO).
    I do agree that it was a poor decision on Craig's part to say that, regardless of what the question was, but articles and websites still picking at that quote years on is ridiculous. It was obviously a heat-of-the-moment statement.
    I do agree that it was a poor decision on Craig's part to say that, regardless of what the question was, but articles and websites still picking at that quote years on is ridiculous. It was obviously a heat-of-the-moment statement.

It's manna from heaven for click-bait journalism sadly.

Although in fairness it is similar here in which there is more mileage to speculate on Craig's departure and his possible replacement, not much to say on 'oh yes he's doing another on'. I would like another Craig film though. I found plenty to like in SPECTRE but yes it had a terrible final act and has left us in a quandry as to how it can continue.

I think I kept that very interview because I thought Craig's take on the character was commendable. Brosnan tends to talk about Bond in a 'he's cool' mentality as opposed to the brutal reality of an agent which Craig picks up on.
    @Cowley, thanks for the post. Yes, what he mentions is how I see Bond. I think it's there in a lot of the films. The 'one against many' anyway. The only difference is they didn't delve into the inner conflict before. A little less of that going forward would be my preference, or at least a different interpretation of it.

I think he definitely wants to go on. That much is clear from other interviews around the SP time where he is grilled on it. They are on youtube.

Regarding the 'comment': I'm sick of seeing it, but it will be there until B25's release two years from now most likely. I even saw it mentioned in an article today. EON will have to live with it.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    *After wrist-slashing comment*

Barbara: "Very funny."

Craig: "Look, if the press release this, they knew well what I meant and that it's wasn't serious. Which means they've decided to trash me anyway. So they're either desperate for clicks or overly confident I won't care, but either way, that tells me something about them. And all they get in return is a statement they already wanted to hear."

Barbara: "And now they know something about you; they know you're reckless."

:p
    I think Eon are not going to make a statement anytime soon until they have selected their Director? I think their may well be a pre-condition to DC doing interviews for Logan Lucky. Although I will happily be proven wrong Eon?!!!
    I'm sorry, but Logan Lucky is chump change compared to Bond.

MGM and the so far clandestine distributor probably won't want their moment spoiled until they're ready to announce on their terms whenever that may be.

They don't have to do it for quite a while, given B25 is more than two years away (surreal when one thinks about it).
  • re: mechanics of Late Show interview.

Typically, the show is taped the same day. I believe the taping begins at 5:30 pm New York Time for a broadcast starting at 11:35 pm NY time.

Hypothetically, if Craig confirms he's coming back for Bond 25 during the taping, I would expect stories to occur shortly thereafter. But we'll see.
    Of course he's going to be asked about Bond! In what parallel universe is he not going to be asked whether he's coming back.

He will probably give a bit of an evasive answer and say they're talking about it but nothing's been confirmed. Or who knows he might just come out and say he's doing B25.

Regardless, he will be asked.