No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I would rather we never had any emotional arc of films over a decade EVER EVER again.

Better make that two. I would rather see Bond have high class action, than low class drama.

Yeah, let's copy-paste "The Fast And The Furious"....

He said 'high class'.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    There's a lot of top-tier action films and franchises out there that aren't The Fast and the Furious. You can be action-oriented and not be of the dumb action sort.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Vin-Diesel-as-James-Bond.jpg

B25: 2 Fast 2 Die Young
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    There's a lot of top-tier action films and franchises out there that aren't The Fast and the Furious. You can be action-oriented and not be of the dumb action sort.
    Agenda-driven people can't see any other way. ;)
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    I would rather we never had any emotional arc of films over a decade EVER EVER again.

Better make that two. I would rather see Bond have high class action, than low class drama.
    Make it three. Time to turn the page on the last decade and chart a new course. Come on EON. Cut the cord and let's move on.

Sorry, but if you think the reboot-button is the only way to....move the Bond franchise forward, then I think this option has way too little nuance. I mean, come on, charting a new course first of all starts with a good script. Let's focus on that first, regardless of extreme and radical measures like the Hollywood reboot-button or prequel-button.

I understand the criticism towards EON. Gosh, add me to that group of critical forummembers too. I don't know if you read my article, so you ought to know all difficulties involved in producing Bond #25. But that goes for both a continuation of the Craig-timeline as well as a full reboot.

Having said that, for the long-term future of the Bond franchise, I do prefer Daniel Craig's return. I mean, what's next? Rebooting with every new Bond actor? Sorry.......I am longing for a more continuous run of Bond films, which makes it eventually also easier to produce Bond films with a more stand-alone nature.

So I prefer to empower Neal Purvis & Robert Wade, instead of completely u-turning on that official EON-decision. Critical is one thing, but slamming EON's decision to start pre-production with Neal Purvis & Robert Wade isn't very helpful either. I think there's this topic I made about realistic story ideas. Focus on that instead of thinking that the good almighty 'reboot-button' might save you. We know what happened with failures like "Batman vs. Superman".
    Minion wrote: »

*sigh*. There ARE actually people who like the idea of the Bond franchise lending stuff from that bloated "Fast & Furious"-franchise? @Minion? It's time to do this to you:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    A reboot button wouldn't have been necessary if Sam Mendes didn't go all artistic about the timeline, set dates and age Bond. If you think casting yet another late 30s early 40s somebody in the role after Craig and maintaining the same timeline would tick plausible with the people who will analyze the chronology (as evident on YouTube, nothing escapes the eyes of the public especially these days), think again.

A reboot doesn't necessarily mean starting all over again. It means start a new timeline unrelated to the previous installment and what was related to it, and still have a veteran 007 a la Dr. No. Want to avoid constant reboots? Don't set dates and numbered milestones alongside them. Easy peasy.

And "action" doesn't instantly mean Fast and Furious. You could approach other ways to inject a reasonable argument against the genre.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

Make it three. Time to turn the page on the last decade and chart a new course. Come on EON. Cut the cord and let's move on.

Sorry, but if you think the reboot-button is the only way to....move the Bond franchise forward, then I think this option has way too little nuance. I mean, come on, charting a new course first of all starts with a good script. Let's focus on that first, regardless of extreme and radical measures like the Hollywood reboot-button or prequel-button.

I understand the criticism towards EON. Gosh, add me to that group of critical forummembers too. I don't know if you read my article, so you ought to know all difficulties involved in producing Bond #25. But that goes for both a continuation of the Craig-timeline as well as a full reboot.

Having said that, for the long-term future of the Bond franchise, I do prefer Daniel Craig's return. I mean, what's next? Rebooting with every new Bond actor? Sorry.......I am longing for a more continuous run of Bond films, which makes it eventually also easier to produce Bond films with a more stand-alone nature.
    I don't need a reboot. I'd strongly prefer a recast though so we can cleanse ourselves of the interconnected past, which has weighed some of us down. It's much easier to ignore (even with the same supporting cast) if we have a new man in the lead. Unfortunately, the drama and angst is Craig's. It's inseparable from him now. That's what happens when you create a continuity project, which they perhaps shouldn't have done.

In retrospect, QoS was the first mistake, as the first 'sequel'. They should have just moved on to standalones right after CR. Bond was Bond at the end after all, or so we thought after the 'Bond, James Bond' moment.

That was all the way back in 2006. We're still not sure if he's fully Bond now in 2017. Every film we get a tease of him shedding his baggage but it never fully gets wiped from him.

I really wouldn't have minded so much if they'd just gotten on with it and finished the whole Quantum thing off in 2012 with SF. Rather, they detoured to M's family issues and then came back to it again in 2015, 9 years after it began. Now some are clamouring for more continuity in 2019? I'm sorry but you know what I'd rather do than watch that (clue: hide all sharp objects).
  • Yeah the Craig era has a clear beginning and ending. Best leave it as its own self contained thing, like Nolan's Batman movies, and go soft reboot with the next one (which as @ClarkDevlin pointed out, doesn't necessarily mean origin story, I'm thinking of a reboot more along the lines of GE than CR). A continous run from Craig onwards is pretty much impossible because of the approach they've taken.

Another reboot is fine, in a way almost every actor change has been its own soft reboot anyway (I think MGW is even on record saying that each era has its own continuity). And that still doesn't mean that a complete fresh start will be necessary with every future actor. It just is in this case.
    Yeah the Craig era has a clear beginning and ending. Best leave it as its own self contained thing, like Nolan's Batman movies, and go soft reboot with the next one (which as @ClarkDevlin pointed out, doesn't necessarily mean origin story, I'm thinking of a reboot more along the lines of GE than CR). A continous run from Craig onwards is pretty much impossible because of the approach they've taken.

Another reboot is fine, in a way almost every actor change has been its own soft reboot anyway (I think MGW is even on record saying that each era has its own continuity). And that still doesn't mean that a complete fresh start will be necessary with every future actor. It just is in this case.
    Thank you!
    Agreed @thelivingroyale. Something like GE is exactly what I'd prefer. Just ignore the past and move forward, adjusting for the changes in the environment since 2006, accounting for "A new world, with new threats". Show everyone that we can still "depend on one man".

Cue Bond theme.
    Minion wrote: »

*sigh*. There ARE actually people who like the idea of the Bond franchise lending stuff from that bloated "Fast & Furious"-franchise? @Minion? It's time to do this to you:
    maxresdefault.jpg

I regret nothinggggg!!!!

The next phase is Asian James Bond. For hella billions in Chinese dollars.

I don't need a reboot. I'd strongly prefer a recast though so we can cleanse ourselves of the interconnected past, which has weighed some of us down. It's much easier to ignore (even with the same supporting cast) if we have a new man in the lead. Unfortunately, the drama and angst is Craig's. It's inseparable from him now. That's what happens when you create a continuity project, which they perhaps shouldn't have done.

In retrospect, QoS was the first mistake, as the first 'sequel'. They should have just moved on to standalones right after CR. Bond was Bond at the end after all, or so we thought after the 'Bond, James Bond' moment.

That was all the way back in 2006. We're still not sure if he's fully Bond now in 2017. Every film we get a tease of him shedding his baggage but it never fully gets wiped from him.

I really wouldn't have minded so much if they'd just got on with it and finished the whole Quantum thing off in 2012 with SF. Rather, they detoured to M's family issues and then came back to it again in 2015, 9 years after it began. Now some are clamouring for more continuity in 2019? I'm sorry but you know what I'd rather do than watch that (clue: hide all sharp objects).

But that's exactly your own 'angst' that I don't share. You could easily create a more stand-alone-ish Bond film. Just end the Madeleine Swann-storyline in a Fleming-esque way, by simply....breaking up a love relationship. Preferably during the first 30 mins of the film (a la novels "From Russia With Love" and "Trigger Mortis").

And regarding Blofeld? Gosh, just.....let him escape in a believable fashion. Orrr......do a "Goldfinger"-like film, in which the producers ignored SPECTRE and Blofeld between films.

You know, recasting is one thing. But you tend to forget the other MI6-crew too. We barely got to see Ralph Fiennes tennure as "M", and I'm not done with him. At the end of SP he finally turned into an "M" I like. More controlled than Judi Dench's globetrotting. Then there are "Q" and Moneypenny. I'm not done with them either. We barely re-introduced "Q" and now you want to get rid of him.

I think your 'angst' is the fact that you can't look at both options: A more reboot-esque Bond film, in which the entire set of characters are recast....OR a continuation "Goldfinger"-style, which could also result in a good film. It's just a matter of...not putting to much weight on the background stories. Then one doesn't need to limit oneself.
    Agreed @thelivingroyale. Something like GE is exactly what I'd prefer. Just ignore the past and move forward, adjusting for the changes in the environment since 2006, accounting for "A new world, with new threats". Show everyone that we can still "depend on one man".

Cue Bond theme.

I agree completely. A full on reboot shouldn't be necessary. Just keep moving forward. DAF wasn't a reboot after OHMSS wasn't the financial success they were hoping for, it just kind of... ignored it, and moved on. Like most Bond movies, the continuity is loose. Once DC is gone, stop bringing up Bond's childhood; the death of the previous M; Brother Blofeld. Throw a mission at him and have fun.

Problem solved. Just promise a solid script.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    How bout this - if Craigy boy goes, let's just have a nice normal Bondian adventure, with no sense of being a reboot, and just ignores everything that came before a'la DN - DAD. I would like to see the return of M and Q. Not desperately keen to see Moneypenny rock up though.

Did they make a fuss when the torch passed from Connery to Moore, or Moore to Dalton? No. It was business as normal.
    I think your 'angst' is the fact that you can't look at both options: A more reboot-esque Bond film, in which the entire set of characters are recast....OR a continuation "Goldfinger"-style, which could also result in a good film. It's just a matter of...not putting to much weight on the background stories. Then one doesn't need to limit oneself.
    Didn't they already do that with SF (ignore the past, that is). It worked then. That was their standalone 'GF'.

After 13 years (as of 2019), and 3 interconnected stories I'd prefer someone new, but I can totally understand them wanting to milk this cow one more time.

I can live with a standalone film with him (if they must) but I think a younger man in the role would serve to re-energize the franchise and get the buzz back. Make it relevant & fresh again.
  • @royale65 To be fair that's exactly what people are proposing when they say a GE esque reboot. The difference is the Craig era is unlike any of the other actors films in that they're clearly their own thing with their own strict continuity. So I think we do need more of a clean break than say Connery to Moore just so the audience isn't left confused. Nothing big, no origin story or anything, just a soft reset with a standard Bond film. Ala GE.

I think it's probably best to leave Fiennes and Harris behind because both of those are fairly easily replaceable imo and it'd make it clearer that they're not following on directly from the Craig films. Wishaw can stay though.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Now some are clamouring for more continuity in 2019? I'm sorry but you know what I'd rather do than watch that (clue: hide all sharp objects).

Agreed. I don't understand the "Craig's story isn't over!" Argument. All it hinges on seems to be that Craig didn't put a bullet in Blofeld on that bridge. Then again, when has any Bond? He got chucked down a chimney, that's the nearest equivalent. Oh, and left dangling in his bath-o-sub, I suppose.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 386
    I'd love a good old fashioned standalone too, Craig or no Craig.

Problem is, the next generation of writers and directors have been weaned on episodic drama (binge watching subscription) and could, almost by default, see future Bond instalments as segments of the dreaded 'arc'.

I fear the Bond template we know and love is in jeopardy.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I agree on a GE style reboot but for that we need an Irish guy of some kind.
    GetCarter wrote: »

Problem is, the next generation of writers and directors have been weaned on episodic drama (binge watching subscription) and could, almost by default, see future Bond instalments as segments of the dreaded 'arc'.

Yes, it's a sad reality that true cinematic language is dying with celluloid. What we have now is a televisual language, which doesn't speak to cinema. Thank god that filmmakers like Nolan still exist that's all I can say.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I suppose a six year gag is like a four year gap. Who gives a smeg about continuity. I see it more like the change between MR and FYEO - different styles, yet the cast remains the same. Fiennes, however, did put his foot down in SP. At least someone was paying attention to the script. So, in that light, I would have him back.
  • //I think MGW is even on record saying that each era has its own continuity//

Specifically, he called it "a series of series," New York 007 convention, 1995.
    I agree on a GE style reboot but for that we need an Irish guy of some kind.
    GetCarter wrote: »

Yes, it's a sad reality that true cinematic language is dying with celluloid. What we have now is a televisual language, which doesn't speak to cinema. Thank god that filmmakers like Nolan still exist that's all I can say.
    That's a good way of putting it. I agree. In a way, it makes the films smaller and not grander.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Filming will begin late 2018
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Well, naturally.

OMG. Where? Link??
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 12,916
    Things are playing out over time across the Craig Bond films. Time for a global threat and a large scale assault on a villains lair. Or almost time if it's saved for BOND 26.
    Was there not a "global threat" in Spectre?

I actually like Blofeld's global surveillance plot in Spectre, it feels simultaneously classic and modern. And I especially love the idea that SPECTRE was behind all these apparent terrorist attacks to help advance their plan. My problem is how that story was handled in the movie, and how the brought it down by shifting much of the focus on the personal side of the Blofeld/Bond dynamic rather than the typical Bond villain narrative, which is what they should have done in this movie. The small scale, personal stories are starting to get a bit tired in the Craig era and should have been retired after Skyfall for a while.
    You're right, Bruce, what I meant to say was a large scale threat of destruction threatening the loss of life.

Bigger than SPECTRE and Nine Eyes, which I have no problem with. Just a progression with the new film, escalation, maybe coming out of Blofeld's frustrations.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117

OMG. Where? Link??

Jesus calm down mate youre like Pavlov's dog hearing the dinner bell.

The film is realeased in 2019 so you don't have to be Woodward and Bernstein to surmise it will be filmed late 2018 into early 2019.

A few more scoops:

Post production will be done in mid to late 2019.
    The teaser trailer will be released in early to mid 2019.
    The poster will be released in mid to late 2019.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

OMG. Where? Link??

Jesus calm down mate youre like Pavlov's dog hearing the dinner bell.

The film is realeased in 2019 so you don't have to be Woodward and Bernstein to surmise it will be filmed late 2018 into early 2019.

A few more scoops:

Post production will be done in mid to late 2019.
    The teaser trailer will be released in early to mid 2019.
    The poster will be released in mid to late 2019.

Where are these scoops coming from?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Thanks Sherlock.