No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2017 Posts: 7,965
    It's too soon to criticize EON for this 4 year gap, before we know for sure whether Craig is back or not? If he's gone, then it makes sense to have a bit of breathing space before establishing a new actor.

I think they made this decision to force his hand, knowing that they would need a Bond out by then, Craig or not. It an aggressive tactic, to force an answer out.

Barbara is hopeful he will return, but I think she has been making preparations to move on for some time. It won't be a drawn out transition, should Crag decide he's out. I bet she already has a tentative list of candidates. If the stories are to be believed, she's been meeting with actors for the past two years.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If that is indeed what they're doing, then it's about time. I know they couldn't make any real progress without a new distributor lined up, I totally get that, but Craig taking two years to decide whether he wants to return or not is ridiculous.

At the same time, maybe he made up his mind months back and we're unaware. Time will tell.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Walecs wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    You're right about that, and that's what my post implied.
    Exactly. I apologize if my post was unclear; I was adding on to what you were saying.

No need to apologize, I'm glad we share the same point of view.
    No worries, happy we're in agreement. :)

We're supposed to hear something this month regarding casting, right?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Okay so there is differance of opinion within bond fans but would I be correct in saying most of us want to see an ohmss yolt style film for bond 25?
    Filming those books or that type of story should wait for the point in time it's needed to reenergize the Bond character and the franchise. That's not the case right now.

Waltz wants to do more with the character. That's good, as it should be. The filmmakers didn't actually lay it all out with Blofeld at once, they kept it very small scale. And bang, they added the warrior henchman.

Things are playing out over time across the Craig Bond films. Time for a global threat and a large scale assault on a villains lair. Or almost time if it's saved for BOND 26.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Okay so there is differance of opinion within bond fans but would I be correct in saying most of us want to see an ohmss yolt style film for bond 25?
    Filming those books or that type of story should wait for the point in time it's needed to reenergize the Bond character and the franchise. That's not the case right now.

Waltz wants to do more with the character. That's good, as it should be. The filmmakers didn't actually lay it all out with Blofeld at once, they kept it very small scale. And bang, they added the warrior henchman.

Things are playing out over time across the Craig Bond films. Time for a global threat and a large scale assault on a villains lair. Or almost time if it's saved for BOND 26.
  • Just a "what if"-thought:
    How could a Tarantino-written (not necessarily directed) Bond-film be? Always found Tarantino's writing to be entertaining and colourful.

They should be bringing in John Michael McDonagh, it'd be like hiring Paul Haggis or John Logan for touch ups, only better.

Anything this McDonagh has written you'd recommend?

Everything he's directed, The Guard, Calvary and War On Everyone.
  • I agree with you @bondjames that a change is needed. A new actor always revitalises things. CR was made by people who had worked on the Brosnan era and still felt very fresh or different. So while more fresh blood behind the camera would be nice, sometimes you can't really tell as long as things are different in front of it anyway.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So much for Mendes having a deep love and passion for the series! If that love translates to the creation of Bond and Blofeld being "foster brothers," then that's even more sad.

Peoples affection for the series manifests itself in many ways. Mendes doesn't 'get' Bond IMO - at least his interpretation of the character doesn't resonate with me. SF amply demonstrated that to me. But that doesn't mean he has any less affection for the series and character than any of us.

I do get the sense that Mendes did SP against his better judgement and that it was obviously not a pleasurable experience for him. May be by the end of SP his love for Bond was somewhat diminished.

I'm much more positive about Mendes (thought SF was very good but flawed, but then he sorted out 90% of the issues that film had with SP) but I agree with what you're saying about passion for the series and the best intentions. What made this clear to me was watching DAD with the commentary. It's clear that Tamahori is someone who's seen and enjoyed a lot of Bond films. I wouldn't say he's a knowledgeable as us lot (he was big on the codename theory after all) but I think his heart was definitely in the right place.

I prefer that too. Not saying the director has to be as big a swot as us but it should be someone who's at least kind of familiar with Bond and who likes the concept. The director should be excited to be making a Bond film. Otherwise you end up with something like QoS.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    It was only a matter of time before this one came up.

"Sorry Adele! Beyonce Will Sing for New James Bond Movie"
    aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00112326.html
    Murdock wrote: »
    TWINE's a modern classic. And I'm sticking by it.
    It really is. It's my favorite Bond film of all time. Really great story IMO
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    tumblr_n24u1lgnXJ1qm9faco1_250.gif
    I don't hate the Beyonce rumour at all.

She's the world's biggest recording star by a country mile. If the producers were smart and wanted to get maximum publicity and a great song - they should hire her. Also, she'd want to Bond gig as it would guarantee her an Oscar.

Yann Demange is a bit of an urban and hip-hop fan - so I can imagine him wanting Beyonce to do the song, since she has a connection to that genre of music.

I've been doing some Demange research and stumbled upon this page:
    http://stinkfilms.com/directors/yann-demange/

It contains numerous ads and music videos he has directed. For those (like me) who haven't been able to watch any of his stuff yet. This might be a goof starting point.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    edited August 2017 Posts: 127
    Was there not a "global threat" in Spectre?

I actually like Blofeld's global surveillance plot in Spectre, it feels simultaneously classic and modern. And I especially love the idea that SPECTRE was behind all these apparent terrorist attacks to help advance their plan. My problem is how that story was handled in the movie, and how the brought it down by shifting much of the focus on the personal side of the Blofeld/Bond dynamic rather than the typical Bond villain narrative, which is what they should have done in this movie. The small scale, personal stories are starting to get a bit tired in the Craig era and should have been retired after Skyfall for a while.

That said, I think it is time to re-energize the series. I think a straight jump to a YOLT-style story would be a little jarring, but something along the lines of a Goldfinger or Thunderball, with one foot in fantasy and the other in reality, is precisely what should be prescribed to the series.

fjdinardo wrote: »
    Nice to see TWINE has its fans. I'm certainly not one of them.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 7,965
    If CR proved anything conclusive, it's that a world threat isn't necessary. The story just needs to be compelling in its own right, which to its credit CR was for about an hour.

I wouldn't be that fussed if we never had a Armageddon plot ever again.
    Right, but for the sake of variety, some sort of story that doesn't involve Bond's past would be pretty welcome. Maybe not necessarily a world threat, though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Nice to see TWINE has its fans. I'm certainly not one of them.
    +1.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I recently changed my mind on GE and now rate that considerably higher then I did but the rest of Brosnan's films are utter garbage.

To think some try to say TWINE is a better version of SF, SF has it's faults but the film making is in another class, as is the acting for that matter.

Those last 3 PB films are just poor man Roger Moore entries, TND is almost a straight rip off of SWLM at times.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    If CR proved anything conclusive, it's that a world threat isn't necessary. The story just needs to be compelling in its own right, which to its credit CR was for about an hour.

Agreed. Despite the fact I love seeing a load of 'bad bastards in boiler suits' legging it around a vast lair, the better Bond films tend to search for something a little more compelling.
    Right, but for the sake of variety, some sort of story that doesn't involve Bond's past would be pretty welcome. Maybe not necessarily a world threat, though.

Totally agree,spot on.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote: »

Agreed. Despite the fact I love seeing a load of 'bad bastards in boiler suits' legging it around a vast lair, the better Bond films tend to search for something a little more compelling.

Lovely stuff.

But isn't it about time Bond stopped WW3 again?
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    RC7 wrote: »

Add me to the list. I'm a bit tired of epic villains with plans to take over the world.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,756
    I can't see Yann directing a older Craig, based on his style, personality, and age.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

+1
    I would rather we never had any emotional arc of films over a decade EVER EVER again.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I would rather we never had any emotional arc of films over a decade EVER EVER again.
    Make that two decades.

And I'd rather have an Armageddon plot in the next Bond film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Better make that two. I would rather see Bond have high class action, than low class drama.

Better make that two. I would rather see Bond have high class action, than low class drama.

Yeah, let's copy-paste "The Fast And The Furious"....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Make it three. Time to turn the page on the last decade and chart a new course. Come on EON. Cut the cord and let's move on.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Yeah, let's copy-paste "The Fast And The Furious"....

So you think FRWL and The Fast And The Furious are alike?
    bondjames wrote: »

Make it three. Time to turn the page on the last decade and chart a new course. Come on EON. Cut the cord and let's move on.

Like music to my ears. :D