No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

antovolk wrote: »
    There's a Nolan interview in the latest Playboy where he talks about talking to BB/MGW and he said he'd love to do it but "you'd need to be needed....it has to need reinvention, it has to need you."

Bond doesn't need to be reinvented, he needs to be Bond.

Hear, hear.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Dennison wrote: »
    There's a Nolan interview in the latest Playboy where he talks about talking to BB/MGW and he said he'd love to do it but "you'd need to be needed....it has to need reinvention, it has to need you."

He said 'it' has to need reinvention.

So "it" could be the franchise, or the film itself, it doesn't really matter as they're one and the same as Bond. Bond needs to remain Bond, and Nolan needs to stay the Hell away from Bond (and his pet composer Hans Zimmer for that matter).

Just curious, what's wrong with Hans Zimmer?

Nothing. Hans Zimmer is a masterful composer. People hate him because under some crap directors he made some generic scores. However with Nolan and directors who gave a damn, he created the most iconic scores of the 21st century.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 9,773

I still maintain this kind of talk is exactly why Spectre should of been saved for the next bond... as Nolan could of reinvented SPECTRE and Blofield but NOOOOOOO the moment they got the rights screw Quantum fans hated that group any ways lets move on to spectre and give the most interesting and compelling character we created not based on a fleming character just a glorfied cameo in the film where he commits sucide yeah the fans will love that....

Sorry like Wizard hates Tanner the fact they killed of Mr White that way boils my blood Mr White was interesting Charming and the best dam villain they ever created and the closest they came to creating a Fleming esque character and what do they do with this incredibly cool character kill him off in the dumbest way possible because I don't know it was a Tuesday?

Speaking Of which @wizardofice I hear in the new bond shared universe your writing an directing a horror film called "the death of Tanner" supposedly like Saw but with only tanner being trapped in these painful traps. How is it coming is the first draft done...

I also say Nolan coming into the franchise would be for the best right or wrong Nolan gets people interested .....

The franchise DESPERATELY needs Nolan right now.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that? I'd like to include it on the timeline.

http://i.imgur.com/JS36OJE.jpg
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,767

So "it" could be the franchise, or the film itself, it doesn't really matter as they're one and the same as Bond. Bond needs to remain Bond, and Nolan needs to stay the Hell away from Bond (and his pet composer Hans Zimmer for that matter).

He has in almost all of his scores 10-20% genius and 80-90% weak compositions.
    He sounds bad.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Some folks prefer people like Arnold. I'm not one of them. Zimmer will deliver something brilliant for Dunkirk, I'm quite sure. Having said that, there are several excellent composers out there who can take on Bond and deliver something special.
    Arnold and Zimmer pursue a similar approach, in that both of them don´t have classical musical education that would enable them to use an orchestra to a reasonable effect. Both try to compensate by combining orchestra and various electronic sounds.
    One major difference is that Arnold nevertheless is fun to listen to. He has a lot of bland filler noises the absence of which nobody would at all notice, but the fun tracks usually still amount to over an hour of music at least. Zimmer always has a few very fascinating tracks that make perhaps 10-max20min in each film, and then a lot of boredom.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I'd be happy to have him onboard if only for the fact he wouldn't tolerate hacks like P&W and would write it himself.

EON don't seem interested at the moment so why not give it to Nolan to do a trilogy as he likes?

Could he really come up with anything worse than the stepbrother fiasco?
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I'd be happy to have him onboard if only for the fact he wouldn't tolerate hacks like P&W and would write it himself.

EON don't seem interested at the moment so why not give it to Nolan to do a trilogy as he likes?

That's a good question. It would be a three-hour lugubrious film but it would be undeniably Nolan. I'm not convinced he can shoot action properly. Compare Hunt/Glen's ski chase to the homage in Inception.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Cheers.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    echo wrote: »

That's a good question. It would be a three-hour lugubrious film but it would be undeniably Nolan. I'm not convinced he can shoot action properly. Compare Hunt/Glen's ski chase to the homage in Inception.

Very true.

I don't think there's really any action sequence he's done that blows me away.

Still think his best films are Memento and The Prestige.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Baz Bamigboye spoke to BB about 'Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool' released on 17th November, 2017.

Only a passing mention of Bond, but hopefully he got some news from her for a future article.

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4673506/How-Hollywood-came-stay-spare-room.html
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    boldfinger wrote: »

He sounds bad.
    Some folks prefer people like Arnold. I'm not one of them. Zimmer will deliver something brilliant for Dunkirk, I'm quite sure. Having said that, there are several excellent composers out there who can take on Bond and deliver something special.
    Arnold and Zimmer pursue a similar approach, in that both of them don´t have classical musical education that would enable them to use an orchestra to a reasonable effect. Both try to compensate by combining orchestra and various electronic sounds.
    One major difference is that Arnold nevertheless is fun to listen to. He has a lot of bland filler noises the absence of which nobody would at all notice, but the fun tracks usually still amount to over an hour of music at least. Zimmer always has a few very fascinating tracks that make perhaps 10-max20min in each film, and then a lot of boredom.

I agree that probably a relatively small part of a Hans Zimmer film score really stands out (especially with regards to the superhero-movies), the rest is not really enormously special. But doesn't that go for a lot of film composers these days? And the music that stands out from Zimmer is often excellent. I'm curious what he would do with Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Certainly not! But I would argue that the last thing the franchise - at this point in its history - is another director who feels compelled to give the movie his "special" touch. There was a time when Bond himself had a special touch and I want this state of affairs to be restored!
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 3,164

Would include a link to a scan/screenshot of the digital issue (it's not on their site) so not sure what the forum's rules are regarding that. EDIT: I see someone linked it already.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    So you interpret this as, no, we don't go for the "new", which again means DC stays.

Well as the full quote says, 'they're doing just fine' - they = MGW/BB
    You'd have to be needed, if you know what I mean. It has to need reinvention; it has to need you.

This comment I find rather discouraging. I'm open for discussing it, but my first impression is that it's slightly arrogant ("you'd have to be needed"). Also, that desire for reinvention... admittedly, I can't know what is going through Nolan's mind, but the Bond films have already taken inspiration from his films, and assuming he isn't going to radically change his own style, what new things could he hope to achieve with a Bond film if he were to direct it? Let us keep in mind the Craig era was the most radical reinvention of Bond since the beginning.

Certainly not! But I would argue that the last thing the franchise - at this point in its history - is another director who feels compelled to give the movie his "special" touch. There was a time when Bond himself had a special touch and I want this state of affairs to be restored!

I feel anyone following the comic book cinematic universes (Marvel/DC) will kinda understand this issue more. Seems most people on here would prefer a more Marvel-esque approach with MGW/BB acting as Feige?

I guess my personal take is - I want more directors putting their own spin on Bond. Like Mendes. I do feel the idea that the brand is over everything else is a bit played out, and Marvel, while enjoyable, sure, has pretty much made that single producer driven house style franchise idea a bit dull to me tbh.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond needs to remain Bond, and Nolan needs to stay the Hell away from Bond (and his pet composer Hans Zimmer for that matter).

Do you think he keeps him in a cage?

I feel anyone following the comic book cinematic universes (Marvel/DC) will kinda understand this issue more. Seems most people on here would prefer a more Marvel-esque approach with MGW/BB acting as Feige?

To be honest I would advise anyone who prefers a Marvel-esque approach with all its interwoven sequels, spin off's and drama just to go and watch their movies.

Yes, even though he would hide it better behind pretensions and overambition.

boldfinger wrote: »

He sounds bad.

I agree that probably a relatively small part of a Hans Zimmer film score really stands out (especially with regards to the superhero-movies), the rest is not really enormously special. But doesn't that go for a lot of film composers these days? And the music that stands out from Zimmer is often excellent. I'm curious what he would do with Bond.
    Yes, it goes for most contemporary film-music composers. Studios or poducers or directors these days tend to demand bland background noise, instead of letting the music add emotional content to the movie.
    On youtube there is a clip where you can see Hans Zimmer and Christopher Nolan get enthusiastic about recording music for Interstellar on a church organ. While the instrumentation is kind of original, the end result doesn´t amount to that much. The same goes for instance for Zimmer´s MoS score, where he had ten drummers play unisono in order to get "that special sound". Zimmer always seems very enthusiastic and respectful to other composers, but in the end he´s very much smoke and mirrors.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I say get Nolan and Bale back together again but let them tackle Bond this time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd rather eat glue then watch that trainwreck.

I guess my personal take is - I want more directors putting their own spin on Bond. Like Mendes. I do feel the idea that the brand is over everything else is a bit played out, and Marvel, while enjoyable, sure, has pretty much made that single producer driven house style franchise idea a bit dull to me tbh.
    Most people here don´t want Marvel-esque Bond films, just marvellous ones. Feige doesn´t churn out 100% quality, not by far, but he clearly shows that he knows what he´s doing, and that he has a vision of where he wants to go with Marvel films. Eon show clear signs of not knowing what they want to do with Bond.

I have no problem with different directors putting their own spin on Bond. Great idea in fact. But it has be fitting and good directors. Nolan is one of the most overrated directors of all times.

Nolan can do Bond. He wouldn't do Inception-Bond, but he could deliver more than what some fans complain about Mendes. And I loved Mendes. A new film would draw a crowd with Nolan's name credited on it.
    Too dour and self indulgent for my tastes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote: »
    Too dour and self indulgent for my tastes.

Who, Gettler?
    =))
    No, Lan.

Exactly. I don't know about anyone else here, but I am extremely sick of the idea that Bond needs to be reinvented. Saying 007 needs to be reinvented is like saying Bond as a character is worthless as he is and would be of no interest to modern audiences. Whereas when Bond is simply Bond- the audience embraces him anyway.
    His music is generic, unmemorable and boring. Much like Thomas Newman. We don't need anymore of that garbage tainting the franchise.

The franchise DESPERATELY needs Nolan right now.

No!