ALIEN Franchise

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @QsAssistant, this article helps give an idea of what direction the film would've gone in:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/33505/a-closer-look-at-neill-blomkamps-proposed-alien-5
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Last summer I was working in a warehouse, and packed some stuff to a certain Anders Lien. On the package I put A. LIEN, which I found quite funny. I wonder if he got the joke and if it was the first time.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @QsAssistant, this article helps give an idea of what direction the film would've gone in:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/33505/a-closer-look-at-neill-blomkamps-proposed-alien-5

I like the idea of Ripley and Hicks taking on Weyland-Yutani and stopping whatever stupid crap they would be doing. I honestly would like that more than a Scott directed Alien movie. I also forgot about the Xenomorph armor concept art. That could've been really cool... or really stupid.

I like the idea of Ripley and Hicks taking on Weyland-Yutani and stopping whatever stupid crap they would be doing. I honestly would like that more than a Scott directed Alien movie. I also forgot about the Xenomorph armor concept art. That could've been really cool... or really stupid.

I didn't read it in full, but yes, the thought of Hicks and Ripley teaming up to take them on, while also dealing with a Xenomorph(s) would be incredibly exciting. The concept art images made me think they'd be on Earth, or some massive ship in space that could hold the Derelict. The eggs begin to hatch, and we've got all out war between the three groups.
    @talos7, that's definitely what happened.

@fire_and_ice, you sure there will be that many? I was under the impression this was going to be a new trilogy that started with 'Prometheus,' so whatever follows 'Alien: Covenant' will be a direct prequel to 'Alien,' which, in turn, will likely involve a new team, LV-426, and maybe the Derelict beacon (sort of like the playable storyline from the 'Alien: Isolation' video game, which was awesome).

I'll try to find the link regarding the additional films

Edited: https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/ridley-scott-to-make-as-many-as-three-more-prometheus-films-512997

@Creasy47 I knew I had read it somewhere, so it appears Scott said three films including Covenant

Apologies, you were right! Don't know how I forgot about the article where he said he'd love to make them endlessly if there's a desire for them. I just hope he doesn't let himself get to the point where the movies eventually bomb and are stopped, and we don't get a proper 'Alien' prequel like he's mentioned over the last five or so years.

It's ok after reading this thread it jogged my memory, in a way I am glad the origins are given multiple films there is alot of room for creativity. The back story to the Engineers there motives for wiping out humanity intrigues me and I think there are two factions?
    I forgot that the next one, 'Alien: Awakening,' already has a script, but I don't like that 'Covenant' is coming first, yet 'Awakening' takes place in between 'Prometheus' and 'Covenant.' Talk about being convoluted, and yet they were worried two separate films were going to confuse audiences.
    I did not know the films were set to do that interesting, hopefully there is a very good reason for not making them in order of events. @Creasy47 Maybe Awakening will be the back story to a reveal in Covenant.
    I did not know the films were set to do that interesting, hopefully there is a very good reason for not making them in order of events. @Creasy47 Maybe Awakening will be the back story to a reveal in Covenant.

I feel like that's what they've already been doing with the marketing campaign, though: prequel videos, the recent stuff released on 'Alien Day' that showed the backstory of David and Shaw, etc.
    I liked the Alien Day prologues think the Covenant marketing has been good, I may put Prometheous on shortly it's due a rewatch.
    I liked the Alien Day prologues think the Covenant marketing has been good, I may put Prometheous on shortly it's due a rewatch.

The most I've enjoyed 'Prometheus' was on my last viewing of it. I think my main issue going into it was hoping for a flat-out horror survival film.

Ripley and Hicks taking them on sounds like the sequel we should have gotten all those years ago. Would have been the perfect conclusion to that trilogy.

Really wish that this had happened. Maybe it will some day. I would have also been happy with a direct Prometheus sequel (I enjoyed that film and would have liked to learn more about the Engineers).

Instead it seems like we're getting neither (I know the new one ties into Prometheus but that prologue seems to be basically the extent of it, getting the loose ends out of the way so we can have another Alien film with Fassbender being the only thing that carries over). It's a shame imo. They had two really exciting directions they could have gone in and instead it seems like we're getting neither. I just hope Covenant is good enough to make me forget about what could have been.
    That or FOX just has more faith in Scott than Blomkamp.

Why they couldn't have given audiences both is still beyond me - I don't buy the confusion nonsense. Then again, these are likely the same people who moped around in mass confusion because they couldn't understand the 'Quantum of Solace' title - as if something like a dictionary never existed before.

Same. Losing big business.
    Interesting- is this for real or photoshopped? I don't have the movie available to pop in at the moment.

From 'Aliens', when they do a recap of what happened on the Nostromo- look at Lambert's page.

http://horrorfreaknews.com/revelation-lambert-alien-might-blow-mind

“Subject is Despin Convert at birth (male to female). So far no indication of suppressed traumas related to gender alteration.”

C-l1DF4VYAAJ05d.jpg

It suggests she was born male! That's very ahead of its time if true!
    I sincerely apologize if this is really just click bait but I wanted to share.
    @Master_Dahark, that sure is something, never caught it before myself! Found an article on this trivia tidbit and a few people in the comments confirmed it wasn't Photoshopped. The movie was definitely ahead of its time.
    It looks like early media screenings for Covenant happened a couple of days ago. Hard to gauge the response as there's an embargo that's not lifted until this Saturday, but early single-worded responses are encouraging. The world premiere tonight might give a better indicator.
    Is the premiere tonight? We don t get it until the 19th.
    I believe so, @Thunderfinger. It's released here in the UK next week on 11th, same as Asia. For some reason it's being released much later in the States.
    Here's a red-band clip from the movie:

I usually don´t give much about what critics say, because most don´t know what they´re talking about, but it seems Alien Covenant has at least as much messy storytelling as Prometheus. It doesn´t really surprise me, but still my interest immediately drops.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I've read a number of reviews, and no, I'm not going to read them all, but I'm not getting the "messy storytelling" vibe from those that I have read, @boldfinger. Some complain of a "slow build-up" and a "lull" as some consider it too talky in parts, but do admit that the fun begins once they land on the planet and Scott gives over to the film being "an interstellar version of Friday the 13th.”

It's not being hailed as a 5-star movie, which might be a good thing. Let's not forget that the majority of critics also hated Bladerunner when it was originally released, so I'm not going to invest too much in what they say about a Scott movie. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating - in this case, what goes down my gullet and not theirs. But as one wise reviewer stated: "We’re still in prequel territory here, it’s not like the ending is going to be consequential or unpredictable." That said, I think those looking for something revolutionary or earth-shattering, aren't going to find it in these prequels.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I forgot that the next one, 'Alien: Awakening,' already has a script, but I don't like that 'Covenant' is coming first, yet 'Awakening' takes place in between 'Prometheus' and 'Covenant.' Talk about being convoluted, and yet they were worried two separate films were going to confuse audiences.

This is the first impression hearing of this. Bloody hell. Did they bother to explain why they're releasing it this way?
    I'm not too sure what Scott meant by his Alien: Awakening comment, but it's interesting to note that author Alan Dean Foster, who is currently slated to pen the official Alien: Covenant novelization, will also be penning an official sequel novel! Little is known concerning the plot for the sequel novel, for obvious reasons.
    I trust that there are good reasons for the order of release, and maybe telling us why would spoil it all?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I read ADF's novelizations of the first 3 ALIEN films and I'm more or less "Fostered" out. :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I said I would wait for the reviews and maybe you should just see for yourself but it costs £20 plus for two of us and I can' t just commit to a film on a whim.

I rarely go to the cinema because of the cost, it has to be something I really want to see and Covenant I thought might fit into that bracket but the reviews seem to confirm what I feared, a greatest hits compilation of all the best bits of Alien & Aliens with Prometheus thrown in.

Yes there are some 5 star reviews in amongst the 3 star ones but it's the usual suspects like Robbie Collin who if I remember gave SPECTRE & TFA hyperbolic 5 star reviews that seemed well OTT.

Some broadsheet reviewers really need to think about their ratings if they don't want readers to think they might be getting paid by he studio to promote their films.

So no I won't be seeing this next weekend as planned, Baby Driver, War of The Planet of the Apes and of course Dunkirk look like being a far better way to part with my cash.

One review said it's a relief that Bladerunner 2049 isn't being directed by Ridley and maybe that should have been the case here, some new blood to give it a new spin instead of his tired and tested ways.

I watched Alien 3 assembly cut last night with my Wife we both said that each film has a unique vision, these aren't sequels that copy each other, very starkly different, Resurrection is the only point when you might think they are getting lazy but it still feels completely different to Fincher's 3.

I must say watching it again it remains my no. 2 after the masterpiece original with Cameron's combat flick taking the no. 3 spot.

Both Prometheus and it seems this are riffing on the past, I know Prometheus had something larger going on but due to the the script I was never convinced and more lasting memory was it becoming an Alien film as it got closer to the end and all the ambition of telling a story in the same universe but not necessarily using the xenomorphs seemed to have been given up on and the story gave up and went the predictable direction it was claimed it wasn't.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I usually don´t give much about what critics say, because most don´t know what they´re talking about, but it seems Alien Covenant has at least as much messy storytelling as Prometheus. It doesn´t really surprise me, but still my interest immediately drops.

That's the vibe I'm getting. It's pretty much "if you hated 'Prometheus,' you'll hate this, and if you loved it, you'll really love this." The reviews also mention how it feels like two films crammed into one, and any practical work that was done with actors for the Xenomorphs is completely washed over (ala 'The Thing' prequel) with CGI. Just a checklist of my worst fears for the finished product, but I'll still give it a go.
  • bondsum wrote: »
    ...the fun begins once they land on the planet and Scott gives over to the film being "an interstellar version of Friday the 13th."

So Jason X with production values!
    boldfinger wrote: »

That's the vibe I'm getting. It's pretty much "if you hated 'Prometheus,' you'll hate this, and if you loved it, you'll really love this." The reviews also mention how it feels like two films crammed into one, and any practical work that was done with actors for the Xenomorphs is completely washed over (ala 'The Thing' prequel) with CGI. Just a checklist of my worst fears for the finished product, but I'll still give it a go.

Marvelous on all accounts. As someone who did not care for Prometheus, I've been living by the hope that Covenant would recognize and improve upon its predecessor's shortcomings. Doesn't sound like it though. Hopefully I'll at least get some chest-bursting fun out of the "Friday the 13th" portion of the film.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I'm a complete newcomer to the Alien franchise. I first saw Alien a few months back, and I just watched Aliens day before yesterday. Having just recently watched a quick synopsis of the series, I can see why people hate Alien 3 so much. It's one thing to have a bad movie, but it's entirely different when the beginning of that bad movie takes a giant dump on the ending of the previous good movie. And the rest of the films look even more ridiculous. I like the first two, and I think I'll just pretend that the rest of the series doesn't exist.
    I'm a complete newcomer to the Alien franchise. I first saw Alien a few months back, and I just watched Aliens day before yesterday. Having just recently watched a quick synopsis of the series, I can see why people hate Alien 3 so much. It's one thing to have a bad movie, but it's entirely different when the beginning of that bad movie takes a giant dump on the ending of the previous good movie. And the rest of the films look even more ridiculous. I like the first two, and I think I'll just pretend that the rest of the series doesn't exist.

The first two are the only ones I consistently rewatch, but I'll pop in the third and fourth one every now and then on a rare occasion. I don't bother with any of the spinoffs.

I'm still hopeful that 'Alien: Covenant' will be a positive experience, but more of 'Prometheus' combined with the bad CG Neomorphs or whatever I see flashing across all these trailers isn't cutting it for me. It's this lazy route of CG these days that detaches me from a good bit of movies. I can't watch the practical effects of 'Alien' and jump to 'Covenant' and expect the same sort of blown-away, impressed reaction.