ALIEN Franchise

1202122232426»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Fede Alvarez Alien: Romulus Interview Round-Up!
    https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2024/03/21/fede-alvarez-alien-romulus-interview-round-up/amp/
    '...Just like anybody else, I’ve been appalled by bad CG in movies that have ruined my experience of it. But I’m not against it. I think you have to do whatever’s best for the shot, and whatever technique does it better, you should do it...'

'...We went to crazy extents in this movie to do things practically. We had Weta Workshop doing a lot of the Facehuggers. And not only that, we brought back the guys that worked on Aliens. Shane Mahan, who [sculpted] the Queen’s head himself, was the one in charge of building all the Xenomorphs for our movie...'

Music to my ears, Fede gets it from his comments...

These sorts of comments definitely excite me but I've also heard similar sentiments from other directors who wind up dropping a CGI-laden turd after the fact anyway. Still, I have a lot of faith in Fede's vision here and that teaser was really, really exciting. It quickly became one of my more anticipated films coming this year.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2024/03/21/fede-alvarez-alien-romulus-interview-round-up/amp/
    '...Just like anybody else, I’ve been appalled by bad CG in movies that have ruined my experience of it. But I’m not against it. I think you have to do whatever’s best for the shot, and whatever technique does it better, you should do it...'

'...We went to crazy extents in this movie to do things practically. We had Weta Workshop doing a lot of the Facehuggers. And not only that, we brought back the guys that worked on Aliens. Shane Mahan, who [sculpted] the Queen’s head himself, was the one in charge of building all the Xenomorphs for our movie...'

These sorts of comments definitely excite me but I've also heard similar sentiments from other directors who wind up dropping a CGI-laden turd after the fact anyway. Still, I have a lot of faith in Fede's vision here and that teaser was really, really exciting. It quickly became one of my more anticipated films coming this year.

One of the things that makes me believe him is that he didn't dance around the issue of CGI and acknowledged that they did in fact use it, but only for the things that simply couldn't be done practically. If I'm right in saying it, I think he mentioned that it was important for the actors to interact with practical Xenomorphs in order for the terror on their faces to have that extra authenticity. So hopefully it's a case of someone using CGI intelligently (in other words, correctly!) and not throwing out the usual rhetoric just because they think that's what people want to hear.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, that's all I can ask for. I think he'll deliver on those promises and assurances.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

In the current climate of film making caution is just smart, saying that my gut tells me this will be good. I like Fede's previous films that I have watched which instills a lot of confidence.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ALIENS (1986) - 4K UHD BLU-RAY Review

Excellent break down which I agree with, the part of the film that works the best on this new 4K restoration is the finale IMO.

It was also good seeing the film as it was on 35mm and Laser disk as a comparison.