ALIEN Franchise

Comments

Typical! I only just bought 'Alien' on bluray, and it looks pretty good! Dont think I be shelling out again for 4k! The film of Ridley Scotts I really want to see released in 4k is 'The Duellists'!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Typical! I only just bought 'Alien' on bluray, and it looks pretty good! Dont think I be shelling out again for 4k! The film of Ridley Scotts I really want to see released in 4k is 'The Duellists'!

Give me a 4K of The Duellists as well! I only just recently, finally gave it a go but I really, really loved it.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Understandable. The jump from Blu-Ray to 4K isn’t as wild as VHS to DVD or DVD to Blu-Ray. Whatever the next thing is after 4K, I’m not sure I’ll really care all that much. My eyes are already not very good to begin with, and it’s hard to imagine the next leap being all that important. I used to collect almost all DVDs before starting my 4K collection, with my few Blu-Rays only really coming in dual packs. But anyways, I’m kind of counting on 4K being the last physical format. I’d be kind of surprised if it wasn’t based on several trends.

Of the announcements, Aliens and True Lies are both must-buys for me. It’s been a while since I saw Aliens, but I remember it being great even if not as awesome as the first. True Lies is one of my personal favorite Schwarzenegger films. Then there’s The Abyss - a film I still have yet to see. I’ll find it somewhere before deciding if I want to add this upcoming big release that’ll already hurt my wallet!
    Yeah my 4K purchasing has really gone down a lot lately too. I don't have that Alien Quadrilogy anymore so I may pick this one up in the format, but for the most part the differences are so insignificant that I don't bother upgrading anymore if I already own the film. Physical media's really taken a backseat for me in the last few years.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am a big supporter of physical media, but I’ve topped out with Blu-Ray .
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I only double dip for 4K if the transfer is substantially improved. Some of the Star Trek films (particularly VI) had terrible transfers on blu-ray that were thankfully corrected in 4K, more accurate color timing and the awful DNR gotten rid of.
    Wow, if I somehow wasn't interested in the upcoming Alien series by Noah Hawley, I am now:

https://deadline.com/2023/11/timothy-olyphant-cast-alien-noah-hawley-fx-series-1235638841/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Wow, if I somehow wasn't interested in the upcoming Alien series by Noah Hawley, I am now:

https://deadline.com/2023/11/timothy-olyphant-cast-alien-noah-hawley-fx-series-1235638841/

It does sound promising, i like the fact it is set on earth.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Interesting I wonder if it will involve colonist's being put in serious danger by Weylan, and Weylan looking at the events of the first film and strategizing how to take advantage of the xenomorph.
  • I recently watched Aliens again and the Gorman death scene always gets me. He really did redeem himself.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I recently watched Aliens again and the Gorman death scene always gets me. He really did redeem himself.

But he always was an asshole. ;-)
  • Ha. Indeed.
    Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ and ‘Covenant’ Are ‘Inherently Less Useful’ for ‘Alien’ Prequel Series
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2024/tv/news/noah-hawley-alien-series-prometheus-backstory-not-useful-1235871454/amp/
    I'm still convinced the series will be fairly free of aliens and won't be the kind of product I'm after, but I'm still willing to give it a try.
  • willowlovewillowlove Kent, WA, USA
    Noah Hawley says he wants the show to go multiple seasons and that he has the ending in mind already.

https://collider.com/alien-series-multiple-seasons/
    What is encouraging is Noah seems to have a plan, I hope it's good.

Exactly what I want for the next incarnation of Bond, a plan.
    talos7 wrote: »

Exactly what I want for the next incarnation of Bond, a plan.

Let's hope Barbara and Micheal are putting another long break between films to good use.

Interesting I wonder if it will involve colonist's being put in serious danger by Weylan, and Weylan looking at the events of the first film and strategizing how to take advantage of the xenomorph.

That would be great if we could see how the aliens took over the colony
    edited March 20 Posts: 23,376
    Alien: Romulus Teaser Trailer (2024)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That looks good!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Oh boy, I got shivers… please may this be the real-deal (so disappointed in everything Alien from #4 onwards….)…
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Amazing! I have very high hopes that this might just be the first really good Alien film since '86.
    The coolest, cutest creature (xenomorph) in horror returns! Seems like the perfect opportunity for me to finally marathon all the films; only seen the first 3, been meaning to get to the others forever now!
    edited March 23 Posts: 23,376
    Fede Alvarez Alien: Romulus Interview Round-Up!
    https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2024/03/21/fede-alvarez-alien-romulus-interview-round-up/amp/
    '...Just like anybody else, I’ve been appalled by bad CG in movies that have ruined my experience of it. But I’m not against it. I think you have to do whatever’s best for the shot, and whatever technique does it better, you should do it...'

'...We went to crazy extents in this movie to do things practically. We had Weta Workshop doing a lot of the Facehuggers. And not only that, we brought back the guys that worked on Aliens. Shane Mahan, who [sculpted] the Queen’s head himself, was the one in charge of building all the Xenomorphs for our movie...'

Music to my ears, Fede gets it from his comments...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 23 Posts: 8,505
    https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2024/03/21/fede-alvarez-alien-romulus-interview-round-up/amp/
    '...Just like anybody else, I’ve been appalled by bad CG in movies that have ruined my experience of it. But I’m not against it. I think you have to do whatever’s best for the shot, and whatever technique does it better, you should do it...'

'...We went to crazy extents in this movie to do things practically. We had Weta Workshop doing a lot of the Facehuggers. And not only that, we brought back the guys that worked on Aliens. Shane Mahan, who [sculpted] the Queen’s head himself, was the one in charge of building all the Xenomorphs for our movie...'

A big sigh of relief…. Now I’m going to slowly build up my expectations … Very happy with the teaser, very happy to hear the director talking about practical effects.
    peter wrote: »

A big sigh of relief…. Now I’m going to slowly build up my expectations … Very happy with the teaser, very happy to hear the director talking about practical effects.

I have watched the teaser trailer several times and there is a lot going on that impresses me regarding the visual story telling, I am curious as to how the Alien got on board the space station.

I do hope the characters are written to be more intelligent than the hapless bunch from Prometheus and Covenant.

I have watched the teaser trailer several times and there is a lot going on that impresses me regarding the visual story telling, I am curious as to how the Alien got on board the space station.

I do hope the characters are written to be more intelligent than the hapless bunch from Prometheus and Covenant.

I’m really impressed with the he sound quality.
    talos7 wrote: »

I’m really impressed with the he sound quality.

Agree, the sound took me back to the original film and The Thing 1982, there is that real sense of claustrophobia and impending doom.

The composer for Alien Romulus is Benjamin Wallfisch, I have one of his scores The Flash. The Flash certainly had its issues though the soundtrack is superb, I have high expectations for Wallfisch's work on Alien Romulus.