ALIEN Franchise

Comments

...and I was pleasantly surprised how different it was compared to Prometheus and the very first Alien.

I was afraid it would be a copy/paste of the same story. Thank the maker it wasn't. It dug deeper to the mythos set in Alien/Prometheus.

The bad; I saw all the major plotpoints miles away. Maybe because of the trailers and pre-release clips like the last supper.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SharkBait wrote: »
    ...and I was pleasantly surprised how different it was compared to Prometheus and the very first Alien.

I was afraid it would be a copy/paste of the same story. Thank the maker it wasn't. It dug deeper to the mythos set in Alien/Prometheus.

The bad; I saw all the major plotpoints miles away. Maybe because of the trailers and pre-release clips like the last supper.

HBO released a featurette snippet with a massive spoiler in it, too.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I like the original and Prometheus....so this should be a treat!!!
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 2,107
    I like the Prometheus as much as the first Alien. It's a different kind of a beast (no pun intended) , but it is also really familiar. Travelers land on a strange planet, someone gets infected and shit go down.

But it is a very beautiful film, with some minor changes, like the crew meaning to go on the planet in search of their god(s). Bad make up aside, Weyland is searching a way to meet his creators, so they could grant him his immortality. It might not have been what everyone wanted. But even without the xenomorphs the film holds my attention.

And the visuals, oh boy the visuals. Still vividly remember my first time seeing it in the cinema. Movie where the 3d didn't feel forced.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I still don't understand prometheus so why where the engineers in "sleep" if they were coming to destroy earth
    I still don't understand prometheus so why where the engineers in "sleep" if they were coming to destroy earth

It's been several months since I saw it, but from what I gathered, the Engineers that had survived in cryo had locked themselves away in an attempt to hide from whatever had gone wrong, I'm assuming one of the eggs/other experiments had gotten loose to some extent.
    and then whats up with the xenomorph, so david infects fake tom hardy with black goo, then he gives it to shaw. Does shaw have a baby thats infected? or does the trilobite just grow from the black goo? then it grows and goes inside of an engineer. and then an alien comes out of the engineer. what does that even mean.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I like the Prometheus as much as the first Alien. It's a different kind of a beast (no pun intended) , but it is also really familiar. Travelers land on a strange planet, someone gets infected and shit go down.

But it is a very beautiful film, with some minor changes, like the crew meaning to go on the planet in search of their god(s). Bad make up aside, Weyland is searching a way to meet his creators, so they could grant him his immortality. It might not have been what everyone wanted. But even without the xenomorphs the film holds my attention.

And the visuals, oh boy the visuals. Still vividly remember my first time seeing it in the cinema. Movie where the 3d didn't feel forced.
    My sentiments exactly. I love them both. Hope Covenant lives up to expectations. I've seen very few trailers so should be spoiler free on Friday.
    and then whats up with the xenomorph, so david infects fake tom hardy with black goo, then he gives it to shaw. Does shaw have a baby thats infected? or does the trilobite just grow from the black goo? then it grows and goes inside of an engineer. and then an alien comes out of the engineer. what does that even mean.

He impregnates her when they have sex, and his infection is what causes her mutated pregnancy.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

He impregnates her when they have sex, and his infection is what causes her mutated pregnancy.

Not that I've previously cared to overthink this, but that would mean Shaw was sharing blood with the proto-xenomorph. Sure, the alien's blood doesn't necessarily have to infect her the same way the black goo does, but still you'd think blood from an organism as diverse from humans as the xenomorph would have some affect on her vascular system. Overthinking it, I know. The emergency abortion scene still rocks.
    I suppose it all somewhat makes sense on a base level, but when you really dig into the movie, you can find a lot of issues and plot holes. One of my main issues with it - that, and the incompetency of the characters. Other than that, I've looked upon it more favorably over the years - hated it so much when I first saw it in theaters. Curious to find out if I like 'Alien: Covenant' more.
  • Covenant has been getting a lot of positive buzz. Sounds like the movie functions on more of a straight horror/slasher level, which really, at this point, is the best way to go. That's all the original Alien was: a very slick and beautifully crafted slasher in space firing on all cylinders, logically sound, and offering up some psychosexual food-for-thought imagery for anyone who wants to scratch below the film's fully satisfying surface.
    Covenant has been getting a lot of positive buzz. Sounds like the movie functions on more of a straight horror/slasher level, which really, at this point, is the best way to go. That's all the original Alien was: a very slick and beautifully crafted slasher in space firing on all cylinders, logically sound, and offering up some psychosexual food-for-thought imagery for anyone who wants to scratch below the film's fully satisfying surface.

I should get around to seeing it by next weekend I'm guessing, and while I know I won't like the CGI Xenomorphs and whatnot, I've heard it's pretty horror driven throughout, which was missed in 'Prometheus,' so I think I may enjoy it.
    Why did the engineers kill each other on the planet. And if their agenda was to kill humans then why didn't anyone else go to kill the humans after the engineer military base went to shit
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Not that I've previously cared to overthink this, but that would mean Shaw was sharing blood with the proto-xenomorph. Sure, the alien's blood doesn't necessarily have to infect her the same way the black goo does, but still you'd think blood from an organism as diverse from humans as the xenomorph would have some affect on her vascular system. Overthinking it, I know. The emergency abortion scene still rocks.
    But that´s nothing new to the series. Every victim of a chestburster seemed unaffected until it came out.

• boldfinger wrote: »

But that´s nothing new to the series. Every victim of a chestburster seemed unaffected until it came out.

The tentacle-thing grew inside Shaw's womb via infected sperm and was attached to an umbilical cord, sharing her blood. Whereas traditional facehuggers appear to reside high up in the esophagus (can't imagine how they would dwell in the windpipe without obstructing breathing) and ostensibly don't swap fluids with the host.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger wrote: »

The tentacle-thing grew inside Shaw's womb via infected sperm and was attached to an umbilical cord, sharing her blood. Whereas traditional facehuggers appear to reside high up in the esophagus (can't imagine how they would dwell in the windpipe without obstructing breathing) and ostensibly don't swap fluids with the host.
    And the thing inside grows entirely without physical contact? What does it need the host for then, to keep warm? The xenomorph always had certain characteristics of its host, so it´s hardly imaginable that it didn´t have contact with the host´s cells.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »

And the thing inside grows entirely without physical contact? What does it need the host for then, to keep warm? The xenomorph always had certain characteristics of its host, so it´s hardly imaginable that it didn´t have contact with the host´s cells.

That's actually a very good point. You'd think the facehugger would have to absorb something from the host to take on its characteristics. Perhaps the transfer is just one way, however.

Reading up on human pregnancy a little, I actually just discovered that no blood is shared between the mother and the fetus. Nutrients, waste, oxygen, and carbon dioxide is passed while blood is not. Somehow.
    Just want to say how great Prometheus sound track was.

I'm bummed the original composer from prometheus didn't do the score for covenant
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,034
    Why did the engineers kill each other on the planet. And if their agenda was to kill humans then why didn't anyone else go to kill the humans after the engineer military base went to shit

Are you referring to Prometheus or Covenant, here?
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I'm bummed the original composer from prometheus didn't do the score for covenant

Some music from Prometheus pops up here, too. Plus I must mention that Kurzel did a great job with the new film.

Some music from Prometheus pops up here, too. Plus I must mention that Kurzel did a great job with the new film.

prometheus
    has anyone seen covenant yet?
    and if so, without spoilers are any of the questions from Prometheus answered?

prometheus
    has anyone seen covenant yet?
    and if so, without spoilers are any of the questions from Prometheus answered?

I have seen it.

Some questions are answered. Not all.
    Where does the alien franchise go now after covenant.
    I heard that they may do one thats set inbetween prometheus and covenant
    It doesnt make sense because its not like we will get any answers it will just be a movie about her putting davids head back together we know that that movie would end with david dropping the canisters

but assuming they dont do that what happens?
    He put those embryos there is he going to kill daniels and continue to pretend to be walter? or unleash an alien on the ship or crash the ship?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    An interesting article discussing Covenant and Blade Runner. NOTE: HAS SPOILERS.
    @JamesBondKenya, yes, the next one will take place between 'Prometheus' and 'Alien: Covenant.' To me, that sounds like we'll still get no further to finding out how the Derelict ship landed on LV-426.
    @JamesBondKenya, yes, the next one will take place between 'Prometheus' and 'Alien: Covenant.' To me, that sounds like we'll still get no further to finding out how the Derelict ship landed on LV-426.

Scott originally said that but has since stepped back on those comments and been far more vague with what he is doing next.

I won't be surprised if it actually is a Covenant sequel or is somehow set both before and after with a different crew of characters.

The last scene of Covenant was such a tease that they would be foolish to not take it further on from there.

I liked Covenant a lot, unlike the legions of so-called Alien fans on the internet who have voiced disdain over it.
    Yes but u guys do see the problem with doing a film in between right? It will just be them on the ship and then it will end after David kills all the engineers right. Does anyone really want to see that?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    An interesting article discussing Covenant and Blade Runner. NOTE: HAS SPOILERS.

I too had to think of Blade Runner while watching certain scenes in Covenant. Elsewhere I was also reminded of 2001, even.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Yes but u guys do see the problem with doing a film in between right? It will just be them on the ship and then it will end after David kills all the engineers right. Does anyone really want to see that?
    I don´t think there are real tight plans to tell a clear story leading from Prometheus to Alien. Filmmakers say such things, but I think it will all be somehow standalone films who act as if they were leading into a sequel. Or did Covenant really pick up where Prometheus left off? A film in between Prometheus and Covenant doesn´t mean the same characters would be leads. It could focus on totally different people and happenings, and then incidentally indicate by some easteregg that the time is in between Prometheus and Covenant.