Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

Good lord, I had no idea they were making another Pirates of the Caribbean until I just logged into this thread. It's one of those things that just shakes your faith in humanity when you see things like that. What makes it worse is that these are the films that, I assume, are essentially bankrolling all of the other nonsense that Johnny Depp has been doing recently. :unamused:

On the positive side, I'm very much looking forward to IT. That's the big one that I'm looking forward to this year.
  • dalton wrote: »
    On the positive side, I'm very much looking forward to IT. That's the big one that I'm looking forward to this year.

Yes, the trailer for It was surprisingly good. Feels like it's going for that Stranger Things-esque 80s nostalgia vibe. I hadn't planned on checking it out originally—I don't typically get my horror fix on the big screen for some reason—but I think I may see this one in theaters now.
    dalton wrote: »

Yes, the trailer for It was surprisingly good. Feels like it's going for that Stranger Things-esque 80s nostalgia vibe. I hadn't planned on checking it out originally—I don't typically get my horror fix on the big screen for some reason—but I think I may see this one in theaters now.

IT will be my one trip to the theater in 2017. It's that one Stephen King story that just seems like it would be nearly impossible to pull off (even though they've managed to botch some of the easier ones somehow as well), but this looks like they might have done it. I was uneasy about it when Fukunaga departed the project, but this looks like a film (hopefully films) that is setting about to actually do King's work the right way, and I'm excited about that.
  • No hope for The Dark Tower? (Personally I've only read the first couple of those books and am awaiting the trailer to make my call there, but it's on a list of potentials for this summer.)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Apparently, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, you're going to have to read all the Dark Tower novels to understand this one since it's a sequel to the last book as reported. I'm excited about that myself.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 1,631
    I'm not sure how close to King's work they're going to get with that one. Haven't read the series (another one of King's work that is on my to do list here soon), but from what I've read of the plans for the film, it does sound like they're going to take a huge liberty with King's property that may end up working or not working for those that are familiar with his work.

I am looking forward to it, though, just not on the level of IT.
  • Apparently, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, you're going to have to read all the Dark Tower novels to understand this one since it's a sequel to the last book as reported. I'm excited about that myself.

Wow, I hadn't heard that. Apparently it's both a sequel and a direct adaptation, somehow. I may have to power through the eight novels before August. Or just forget what I think I know about The Dark Tower and go in blind...
    I'm not sure how close to King's work they're going to get with that one. Haven't read the series (another one of King's work that is on my to do list here soon), but from what I've read of the plans for the film, it does sound like they're going to take a huge liberty with King's property that may end up working or not working for those that are familiar with his work.

I am looking forward to it, though, just not on the level of IT.

I can see that. I haven't been following The Dark Tower news too closely myself. But I'm hoping the trailers will spark my interest.
    I have a feeling that they'll at least have to blow some of the surprises in King's series right out of the gate in order to work their way into that sequel/remake territory they seem to be planning to take this adaptation. How well that goes over will tell the tale of how well the film does, I think.
    2017 is looking like a pretty dry year for me at the theater.
  • Interesting that that's the case for you, @FoxRox. In recent years, I haven't seen too much at the theater, and 2017 will probably be my biggest year in awhile.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Blade Runner 2049, and The Last Jedi are musts (with Alien: Covenant and Justice League being grudging obligations).

Then Wonder Woman, The Mummy, It and possibly Thor: Ragnarok are all beginning to look tempting. Atomic Blonde actually looks rather good too, but that's one I'd definitely wait for the small screen for.
    Same for me. 2017 so far has been helluva of a year for films, just like 2015 was.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 12,301
    Well I will probably give the new Alien and Blade Runner movies a chance since I love the originals so much. Also Star Wars 8 of course. Not crazy about new comic-book films for the most part. Not sure what else.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I have a feeling that they'll at least have to blow some of the surprises in King's series right out of the gate in order to work their way into that sequel/remake territory they seem to be planning to take this adaptation. How well that goes over will tell the tale of how well the film does, I think.
    Agreed, @dalton.

And since the last one...
    ...took everything back to the beginning, again, with "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." becoming the conclusion, it's clear that the entire timeline was restarted like Groundhog's Day... It's an interesting take as to what they'll be doing with the films since I gather it's a message on how some things in film adaptations are altered from that of the novels/source materials, depicting the different choices or paths the characters take in each of the respective timelines, and how differently things will play out.

A very interesting move on the filmmakers' part really if they were to adapt/remake/re-envision all the existing novels.
    It's going to be very interesting to see how they go about doing all of that. It's going to be very tricky. While King is said to be on board, I can see some of his fans not being easily swayed into accepting the changes unless they really pull them off well.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Nah, Atomic blonde looks not that good to me. The fight scenes look so bland and trying too hard, also the main character is unlikeable and it seems like they're trying to go for anti-hero thing while also trying to make it a hero....idk, I'm not that interested in this even tho I'll probably see it.
    The term "trying" is what came also to my mind.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,695
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This looks good. Kathryn Bigelow's work is always worth watching.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, that looks really good. Really impressed with how far Boyega and Poulter have come.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yes, that looks really good. Really impressed with how far Boyega and Poulter have come.
    Shows how good Bigelow is at directing actors.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @ClarkDevlin @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, @bondjames, @doubleoego, @MajorDSmythe, @DarthDimi

Here's an upcoming action/thriller from South Korea: The Merciless

No hope for The Dark Tower? (Personally I've only read the first couple of those books and am awaiting the trailer to make my call there, but it's on a list of potentials for this summer.)
    I saw the weird leaked pre-CGI trailer in December (i think it was then) and it looks ..weird like it's not only about the first book but it's mix. Like the other comment I'm quoting said it's apparently a sequel and an adaptation. Idk how that will work but I am pretty sure they'll reschedule that movie for either late 2017 or 2018. They have no info for the movie so far and no trailers. It's supposed to be out in August and it's supposed to be a big blockbuster. Yeah, at this point anything but rescheduling it is just bad business
    Apparently, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, you're going to have to read all the Dark Tower novels to understand this one since it's a sequel to the last book as reported. I'm excited about that myself.
    How to make your average movie goer confused and uninterested :D
    But from that pre-CGI trailer I saw I don't think it will be a sequel to the last book, it looks like it would have some originality to it (things that are not in the books) while also adopting stuff from the books. But yeah..Like I said it looks weird and till we get a trailer we can't be sure.

Also if anyone didn't see the trailer I'm referencing it starts with Jake (was the boy's name Jake? I think it was Jake) and it shows stuff about him. Roland then finds him and ...idk I don't remember much but I remember it showed Jake's life in the city so from what I gathered from the trailer it would be a Jake centered movie. He's not sure if he's dreaming or not bla bla bla, then he finds Roland and Roland explains him what's happening and they start their adventure. Maybe the official trailer would be different.

This looks interesting
    Haha, I was just about to share that!
    The stunts look interesting.
    This looks totally badass and hilarious. I'm there on opening day!
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Some great location photography in Netherlands. Reminds me a bit of the banter between Travolta and Jackson in Pulp Fiction, or Willis and Jackson in DH3. Sadly, rather than starring with those two charismatic companions, this time he has to make do with Reynolds. I'll still watch it though.

This looks interesting

Oh my was I laughing at this! Thinking its a cinema visit for me!

This looks interesting
    Deadpool: "There's nobody crazier than I am."
    Nick Fury: "Hold my shield, motherf**ker!"
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Very stylish. I get the impression this is going to be quite a film. They delivered a killer in 2015, and they likely will do the same this time around. Superb cast (except for Tatum imho).