Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    THE EXPANDABLES. I don't like the sound of that.

I butchered it even more than that, I had typed "expandles."

• edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    I know I watched Expendables 1 - 3 though I can't remember much about the films other than Chuck Norris, Arnie and Sly in one scene which was awesome.

...and a Chuck joke was thrown in the movie. Sly 'I heard you were bitten by a King Cobra' Chuck 'yeah I was and after 5 days of agonising pain the Cobra died' :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hate to be the one to make this joke, but...

It appears that even Stallone was an expendable part of production.

giphy.gif

Where's the exit? I'll see myself out.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sad to read. I guess he really was expendable after all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Let's hope they don't do the predictable thing and kill off his character to give the script's characters an added incentive to face a villain and get a story going.
    Would be so odd killing off the main character off-screen in the fourth film of the series. I am rather curious as to where they'll go from here to explain his absence, or if they'll act like his omission is no big deal at all.
    Yes would prefer Sly to exit on a over the top cliffhanger with lots of demolition man!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    They should have quit after that abomination of Expendables III.
    Murdock wrote: »
    They should have quit after that abomination of Expendables III.

I'd prefer to get a fourth, simply because 'The Expendables 3' was so awful, they need to redeem themselves if they can. Shouldn't be too tough making a movie better than that third one, thankfully.

edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I wish the rumor of Pierce joining the cast came true. I think he'd kill it given the chance to go balls to the walls with heavy guns and firepower. He can bring Jackie Chan along too.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,151
    I, have to say, i love The Expendables movies, and am sad to see that Sky won't be a part of #4. I hope that changes but it seems pretty concrete.

As these movies have a habit of bringing older action movie stars in to the fold, I'd love to see Pierce Brosnan get a role. I'd also love to see the likes of Jeff Wincott, Jeff Speakman and Michael Dudikoff get some sort of role as well. Plus, heartily agree on Jackie Chan.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If Pierce became the new leader of the Expendables I'd see that! Get Roger in there too reprising his character from The Wild Geese. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    If Pierce became the new leader of the Expendables I'd see that! Get Roger in there too reprising his character from The Wild Geese. ;)
    And CGI Richard Burton. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    April 2017 preview:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Promise looks rather good.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The Promise looks rather good.
    Agreed. Bale and Isaacs are guaranteed to deliver.
  • The Promise looks rather good.

I saw the world premiere at TIFF. It's not very good unfortunately. I hope they re-edited the movie for wide release, because the version I saw felt like a TV movie with the soap opera script and distracting accents from Oscar Isaac. Charlotte Le Bon, Christian Bale, and Shohreh Aghdashloo add gravitas with their presence, and there's even Jean Reno with a cameo. The cinematography is lush at times, and strangely cheap-looking during some action scenes. I really wanted to like this movie, and I still hope it does well. It's not even close to Hotel Rwanda though. And on a side note, it's curious how serious Turkey's attempt has been to discredit The Promise. As soon as IMDB opened up voting after the TIFF premiere, tens of thousands of trolls or bots gave the film a "1" rating. I don't think any movie has faced such a smear campaign before... almost 100K votes before its wide release!

Looks fantastic :-). The only problem I have is that I find Sofia Boutella much more attractive than the blonde chick who seems to be intended as an object of sympathy.
    Outstanding! Cruise has another winner on his hands.

I'm partial to blondes, so Annabelle Wallis works for me.
    This looks overtly exciting... Well, one scene really creeped me out, but I'll be seeing this on day one!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tom Cruise is a legend, can't wait for this! Looks fantastic.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Isn't that supposed to be tied into this new shared universe (same with Dracula: Untold)? I wonder how exactly they're connected. :-?
    Dracula: Untold isn't part of it, @MajorDSmythe. There have been attempts to put it among the collection but eventually they decided against it. The Mummy is the kickstarter to that Universal Monsters universe.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The mummy looks very very good.
    Dracula: Untold isn't part of it, @MajorDSmythe. There have been attempts to put it among the collection but eventually they decided against it. The Mummy is the kickstarter to that Universal Monsters universe.
    Baahh. I want simple standalone films.

• This looks overtly exciting... Well, one scene really creeped me out, but I'll be seeing this on day one!

It does look way more action geared than horror, which is not my preference for a Mummy revamp. Cruise has his M:I films for expensive exercising, let the Classic Universal Monster renaissance be its own thing. We'll see how it all shakes down though.

A wise decision. Dracula: Untold was an ambitious film with moments that worked, but ultimately the film didn't come together for me.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Baahh. I want simple standalone films.

An interconnected Universal Monster universe has great potential for either failure or success. The concept alone of "Marvelizing" a classic horror canon is pretty mouthwatering. But I'd prefer if the tone were predominantly horror, which I fear may not be the case. A lot is resting on the shoulders of The Mummy here. I'm very interested to see just how it turns out.

Yes, I think Universal course-corrected on that decision when the film didn't work out the way they'd hoped. Are we to assume that they're just recasting and rewriting another Dracula project for later release?

Hollywood needs to move away from these "sexy" approaches to depicting vampirism and just get back to how it's supposed to be: super gothic, super creepy, super atmospheric. Dracula shouldn't look like he's just shot the Victorian equivalent of a fireman's calendar with his bulging abs and twinkling eyes (no offense to Luke Evans). Make it like the old black and white film, haunting and spooky. Dracula is a character to get a lot of mileage out of, as he can have real depth.
    Very well said, Brady. I really rather Dracula goes back to being the haunting demon type and not possess some sort of a fetish to horny teenagers and young adults. Pardon the offensive tone. To me, Dracula should exactly have the menace that Christopher Lee represented in both his Hammer Horror series and that one Spanish production made in the early seventies. A demonic menace who looks terrifying.
    @ClarkDevlin, one of the thoughts I had after posting was just that: "Universal, just pretend you're Hammer Horror."

In a world where films with low budgets can profit in the millions even with an R-rating, you could take Dracula to that darker place that Twilight and others like it have sapped from him. Stoker's haunting figure has been suffocated by modern depictions that feature a bunch of pale model-looking vampires that are about as intimidating as James Bond is a Puritan. People have had their ideas of what vampires are tarnished by all these fluffy teen-baited projects that choose to focus on poorly realized "romance," losing focus of all the gothic mystery and tradition of those figures.
    Staying away from anymore The Mummy trailers though the poster looked good, I'll definitely watch the film at the cinema Cruise is always good value.