Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, "It sucked" and "video game adaptation" are synonymous. Have yet to see one that came close to blowing me away.

Oh don't get me wrong, none have been amazing, but I thought Assassin's Creed was fine, and I have a soft spot for Silent Hill.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Unfortunately, "It sucked" and "video game adaptation" are synonymous. Have yet to see one that came close to blowing me away.

Oh don't get me wrong, none have been amazing, but I thought Assassin's Creed was fine, and I have a soft spot for Silent Hill.

If an Assassin's Creed film takes up the most time outside the animus-the section of the games everyone hates to slog through-that's already a big issue.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I didn't mind that nearly as much as I did the Spanish Inquisition action being intercut with Fassbender pulling off the same moves in unison in the Animus - not only was that absolutely not a part of the games, but it's incredibly jarring and highly unnecessary.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I didn't mind that nearly as much as I did the Spanish Inquisition action being intercut with Fassbender pulling off the same moves in unison in the Animus - not only was that absolutely not a part of the games, but it's incredibly jarring and highly unnecessary.

True, but I concede that the animus in the film, where you physically simulate everything, looked way cooler than the table of the games. That being said, imagine how tiring that would be? You come out of a memory and you're covered in sweat, and your bones in your legs and arms are cripplingly sore. It'd be a damn workout!
    That it did, but I think the budget, editing, closeness to the videogame series, and runtime would've benefitted from using the Animus table. It killed the momentum of most scenes with them cutting back and forth between the past and the present; didn't need to see Fassbender in a t-shirt swinging a sword at nothing, just to show past-Fassbender (Pastbender? I'm here all week) performing the exact same move immediately after.
    That it did, but I think the budget, editing, closeness to the videogame series, and runtime would've benefitted from using the Animus table. It killed the momentum of most scenes with them cutting back and forth between the past and the present; didn't need to see Fassbender in a t-shirt swinging a sword at nothing, just to show past-Fassbender (Pastbender? I'm here all week) performing the exact same move immediately after.

I agree somewhat, but I understand the choice because the filmmakers wanted to make the animus look more interesting and "blockbustery" for audiences, and likely assumed a table would be boring.

P.S. I'm not calling the assassin Fassbender plays anything else other than "Pastbender" from this point on. Well played, my friend. Well played.
    That's understandable, but I guess it's the gamer in me that hates to see game-to-film adaptations portray key aspects (suppose a table isn't necessarily a "key aspect," but you get what I mean) altered in an illogical way. All they had to do was log him in through the table, and boom, cut right to the action of the past, drawing him back every now and then for any sort of exposition or modern-day character building they needed to do. I think the decision was also partly based on having the likes of Marion Cotillard, Jeremy Irons, Brendan Gleeson, etc. playing characters in the present day - they had to give them a proper amount of screentime for what they likely cost to hire.

I guess the more I flesh it out, the more it does make sense, but still, it's jarring and ruins a lot of the action for me. Hell, they could've even kept it if they just didn't cut back to present-day Fassbender needlessly and endlessly when the action kicked off.
    Yeah, that chops up the action far, far too much. And it looks quite good, choreography-wise.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That poster gives me 'Event Horizon' vibes, for some reason. Shame the trailers aren't looking as impressive, but maybe it'll surprise me.
    Me too, but it also reminds me of a scene in Alien Resurrection (I think) where Ripley is in the Alien cave and witnesses the birth of that outrageous looking creature.
    @dragonsky, Dwayne is playing Hoff's character. There are many characters from the TV Series reintroduced in the film.
    Wait really? I thought it's like a standalone movie. Still sounds great tho

The Alien poster looks amazing!!

Three bilboards...Hmm, it looks like a drama movie, and not as much of a crime movie.

I can't wait for the JL trailer, WB are great at DC trailers!

Also while I'm at this thread......Amy Schumer dropped out from the Barbie movie :D :-))
    @dragonsky, if only Amy Schumer would drop out of comedy altogether!
    WB are certainly good at showing the entire movie in their trailers. Hopefully the trailer for Justice League manages to restrain itself.
    WB are certainly good at showing the entire movie in their trailers. Hopefully the trailer for Justice League manages to restrain itself.

Plot twist: the entire trailer consists of the final minute of the film, followed by the credits.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    To be fair, trailers were much, much worse in the old days when it came to giving away things.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The nineties and early 2000s era trailers were really great, until everyone started mimicking the Nolan Bat styled trailers that became rather boring for me.
    To be fair, trailers were much, much worse in the old days when it came to giving away things.

I miss the loud trailer voiceover guys who would give a bunch of rushed exposition that often let you know the full story.

"This is Johnny, and he's a bad body. His girlfriend Kat is pretty bad too. Together, they face the troubled Vincent, a tough man with a rough past. Little do these kids know that Vincent is Johnny's long lost parent, a deadbeat dad who comes barreling back into his life from out of nowhere. His intentions, good or bad, uncover a sea of fresh wounds and unknowingly bring the party on a collision course with an offshoot of a New York mafia family in a plot that threatens the safety of an entire city. It's up to Johnny and Vincent to test what bond is stronger, fear or family."
    Robert Rodriguez to direct the 'Escape From New York' reboot:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/robert-rodriguez-escape-from-new-york-director-1202051424/
    Heavens no...
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Snake is going to have a gun attached as a hand now.

I bet my life that somehow, someway, Danny Trejo will be cast, likely in a villain role.
    Whatever John Carpenter film that hasn't been remade yet, will be getting remade eventually, it seems. I'm now waiting for the day they announce a new version of his take on 'The Thing.'
    Oh and over-ridiculed cliches of cinematography derived from 70s style filmmaking "intensified", overtly abysmal acting performances and abnormally cringe-worthy dialogues... And lots of pointless blood and gore. Note, I'm saying pointless, because Robert Rodriguez does for the sake of it. No relevance in it whatsoever.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Whatever John Carpenter film that hasn't been remade yet, will be getting remade eventually, it seems. I'm now waiting for the day they announce a new version of his take on 'The Thing.'

They basically remade The Thing already with that "prequel," also named The Thing.

Yes, Escape From New York has the potential to cast Danny Trejo and Michelle Rodriguez and Cheech Marin and whomever else. But if Rodriguez casts a bit more originally, à la Planet Terror or Sin City, he might be able to surprise. I think Planet Terror was great John Carpenter-inspired fun. I feel safer with Escape in Rodriguez's hands than I would with any number of others at the helm.
    I'm not terribly crazy about Rodriguez's filmography, but 'Sin City' is one of my favorite movies and 'Desperado' is always a great go-to when I need an action fix.
    "The Thing" was already a heavily remade film, so that one doesn't hurt so much. But yes, Carpenter does seem to be targeted for revivals, which is a shame as he's an original whose work gets exploited by the unoriginal constantly.
    "The Thing" was already a heavily remade film, so that one doesn't hurt so much. But yes, Carpenter does seem to be targeted for revivals, which is a shame as he's an original whose work gets exploited by the unoriginal constantly.

I'm aware, it's why I mentioned his version, since it's quite different from 'The Thing From Another World.' These days, we'd get a shot-for-shot remake with an inferior cast and a fresh coat of CG paint thrown atop everything.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm aware, it's why I mentioned his version, since it's quite different from 'The Thing From Another World.' These days, we'd get a shot-for-shot remake with an inferior cast and a fresh coat of CG paint thrown atop everything.

It exists! It's exactly as you describe! It's called The Thing!

The Thing (2011) - exactly as you describe, but with Mary Elizabeth Winstead
    edited March 2017 Posts: 40,492
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, that's a prequel, not a remake. It focuses on the members of the Norwegian camp that the Americans stumble upon. They got the inferior cast and the massive, poor CG thing right, though!
  • Yes, it's a "prequel" that served only as an excuse to remake the original scene-for-scene. Seriously, whole scenes are copied straight from Carpenter's.
    I'd say the scale and circumstances of the prequel are a bit bigger, didn't necessarily feel like a shot-for-shot remake at all to me. Still doesn't change the fact that it was a bad movie, though. Will never be able to figure out how they shot the entire thing using animatronics and practical effects, just to cast CG over most of it mere weeks before release. Won't ever be able to figure that one out.
  • Minor embellishments aside, like the helicopter fight and facing off against the "shoggoth" in its ship at the end, it felt to me like a pretty glaring remake. But I agree with you it's best forgotten about entirely and the decision to CGI up the practical effects was pretty mind-boggling. You can actually see some of their very good practical work in the finished film.