Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The true story 1980's set thriller American Made with Tom Cruise and Kingsman: The Golden Circle now opening on the same day? Yes please!!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The true story 1980's set thriller American Made with Tom Cruise and Kingsman: The Golden Circle now opening on the same day? Yes please!!
    Can't wait for either of these, despite Tatum Channing or whatever he's called being in the Kingsman sequel!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, I had always surmised that when the time came that someone inevitabl wanted to try making a 'Sleeping Dogs' movie adaptation, Yun Lee would be the first one cast.

That would've been interesting, but Yen is an icon in China and popular with the west too, so his casting would generate more interest and box office at the end of it than Lee, who I don't think barely anyone recognizes. Yen was just a safer bet, even though he looks nothing like Wei.

I just think having a bigger star isn't something they need to worry about when it's a game adaptation, as they almost always bomb at the box office. Hell, 'Assassin's Creed' had a total A-list cast, and that movie was torn to shreds.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @MajorDSmythe, I had always surmised that when the time came that someone inevitabl wanted to try making a 'Sleeping Dogs' movie adaptation, Yun Lee would be the first one cast.

That would've been interesting, but Yen is an icon in China and popular with the west too, so his casting would generate more interest and box office at the end of it than Lee, who I don't think barely anyone recognizes. Yen was just a safer bet, even though he looks nothing like Wei.

I just think having a bigger star isn't something they need to worry about when it's a game adaptation, as they almost always bomb at the box office. Hell, 'Assassin's Creed' had a total A-list cast, and that movie was torn to shreds.

It was torn to shreds because it sucked, not because it was a video game film. I'm just saying that them casting Yen would dwarf any proceeds they'd get by selecting a relatively unknown actor (to the western nations) like Lee to take on the role. Yen can play to both markets.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I'll be there for the plethora of or best that'll be on display. I may need some muscle relaxers.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If it's as good as the twist they put on Jump Street, it should be enjoyable. We need more clever comedies these days.
    @bondjames @doubleoego @Creasy47 @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

Andy Lau, recently seen in 'The Great Wall' with Matt Damon, is already back in a new badass action flick from Hong Kong:

edited March 2017 Posts: 15,690
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm there for that movie on first day! Good Lord, it's catastrophically comical! :))
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    This young chap sitting on a beach somewhere approves. His reaction echos my sentiments about Babewatch 2017!

ItcO4EB.jpg

I have to say I rolled my eyes when I learned about this being made, however I laughed a lot at that trailer! :))
    @bondjames I knew you would approve this trailer, before I posted it here, when I saw they gave Dwayne Johnson his own version of the 'yippy kay yay m**********'.
    I noticed that @DaltonCraig007. Everyone apparently wants a piece of the space vacated by McClane, not just Gerard Butler's Mike Banning.

The only thing missing here is a cameo by The Hoff. That would really seal the deal for me.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Hoff's cameo was confirmed last year.

That trailer had me legitimately laughing. That Jason Bourne line... :))
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Hoff's cameo was confirmed last year.

That trailer had me legitimately laughing. That Jason Bourne line... :))
    He's got nothing on him! :))
    Wow, it doesn't look horrible.
    ESCAPE PLAN 2 has already started filming, with Stallone on location alongside Dave Bautista and Jesse Metcalfe.
    Baywatch looks on point, it looks fun and funny. The cast is top notch. They know what people watching the series liked and they're doing it justice from what I can see. I hope Daddario gets more screen time in the movie as she can be sort of what Pamela was in the series. Dwayne is great "Hoff" type of character, Zach has the looks and the comedic chops. I'm seeing this.
    @dragonsky, Dwayne is playing Hoff's character. There are many characters from the TV Series reintroduced in the film.
    That poster gives me 'Event Horizon' vibes, for some reason. Shame the trailers aren't looking as impressive, but maybe it'll surprise me.
    That poster gives me 'Event Horizon' vibes, for some reason. Shame the trailers aren't looking as impressive, but maybe it'll surprise me.

I had that same feeling about the poster too. I have high hopes for this film! Guess I will see in May whether I am happy or not?
    I'm incredibly excited to see this. Please don't let it suck.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

The latest film from the director of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths:

• edited March 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Baywatch looks like great fun. They're definitely going the 21 Jump Street route (sort of a parody of the concept itself, lots of fourth wall breaking) and I'm excited.

It was torn to shreds because it sucked, not because it was a video game film. I'm just saying that them casting Yen would dwarf any proceeds they'd get by selecting a relatively unknown actor (to the western nations) like Lee to take on the role. Yen can play to both markets.

As a huge fan of the games, I was very disappointed in Assassin's Creed (and I had low expectations). It would've been fine if they'd advertised it as its own thing, but the director and everyone else kept saying it was set in the same universe as the games when that really couldn't have been the case. It also failed to capture what I love about the games (big, epic historical stories with brilliant fleshed out characters, instead the animus sections were just a couple of fairly short action scenes).

As a film however? It was fine. Some clunky dialogue sure, and the characters and story in the historical sections were really underdeveloped, but it was still well shot, well acted and the story was decent enough. I really don't get why it received the reviews it did. I think a combination of people jumping on the bandwagon and video game films having a bad reputation in general.

I think it deserves respect for the balls the filmmakers had (the Muslim Moors are the heroes and the Christians the villains, it's very dark for a 12a, the concept itself is pretty tough to pull off anyway and and can you imagine a Marvel or DC flick for example having half the films dialogue in Spanish?) even if the final product wasn't really up to scratch.
    Unfortunately, "It sucked" and "video game adaptation" are synonymous. Have yet to see one that came close to blowing me away.
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

The latest film from the director of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths:

This is definitely going to be worth a watch! Even before seeing the film, get this director trophy at once! :D
    Terrific cast in 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,' and the director has yet to fail me, so I can't wait to check it out.
    Justice League Exclusive Trailer to debut on Saturday. This weekend, to be precise.