Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's a sad thing that in the remake/reboot climate, we're not even getting interesting remakes/reboots. It's either a re-imagining of some 80s film that wasn't even good to begin with, or they just do another version of a movie that is barely a decade old.

I guess I should be happy, though, because if they start doing this bullshit to the 40s-70s films I'll have a crisis.
    It's a sad thing that in the remake/reboot climate, we're not even getting interesting remakes/reboots. It's either a re-imagining of some 80s film that wasn't even good to begin with, or they just do another version of a movie that is barely a decade old.

I guess I should be happy, though, because if they start doing this bullshit to the 40s-70s films I'll have a crisis.
    What´s wrong with remaking a film that wasn´t good?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote: »

An imbecilic idea is usually still an imbecilic idea.
  • boldfinger wrote: »

Some films have good ideas but are poorly executed. I've always thought Hollywood should be remaking films that had promising scripts but failed in direction, acting, visual effects, locales, etc. Those are the films that really could benefit from a well-handled remake. Take Cronenberg adapting Vincent Price's The Fly—not a bad film per se, but little more than a glorified b-movie all the same—and turning it into a metaphorical body horror masterpiece. But of course Hollywood doesn't want great ideas, they want proven properties and titles that come with established fan bases. So they'll keep churning out pale imitations of great films in no need of improvement or re-envisionment.

Many remakes of good films don´t even get the good ideas of the original, let alone execute them well.
    It seems to me easily possible to take something that didn´t turn out well the first time, and make something worthwhile out of it. It´s like taking a weak film draft and improving on it. That´s what actually should happen. Especially if you already have a film and know what doesn´t work. There are so many bad films. Re-living a bad situation in order to save it anew in ones memory, only this time as a good experience, is a common medical approach. The world would be much less traumatised if bad films were remade like this.

Many remakes of good films don´t even get the good ideas of the original, let alone execute them well.
    It seems to me easily possible to take something that didn´t turn out well the first time, and make something worthwhile out of it. It´s like taking a weak film draft and improving on it. That´s what actually should happen. Especially if you already have a film and know what doesn´t work. There are so many bad films. Re-living a bad situation in order to save it anew in ones memory, only this time as a good experience, is a common medical approach. The world would be much less traumatised if bad films were remade like this.

On paper it may sound like a good idea, but I don't think you'd find many people ponying up cash to fund a remake of a film that was never a surefire hit. This ain't the climate for it.

As I said, we're more likely to see remakes of properties that have nostalgia attached to them (hence $$$), and even if I think many of them are bad, that is enough for some people.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Kate McKinnon and Mila Kunis will be appearing in a comedy titled The Spy Who Dumped Me. On the surface, there doesn't appear to be any James Bond connection beyond the title. At the moment, I have zero interest in this project, but McKinnon does tend to deliver comedic gold and Kunis is Kunis.

deadline.com/2017/03/kate-mckinnon-mila-kunis-the-spy-who-dumped-me-lionsgate-imagine-entertainment-1202045749/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sounds like something akin to Melissa McCarthy's Spy.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Even with so little info on the film, I feel as though I can gauge the level of humour in the The Spy Who Dumped Me, i'll pass and say no more on it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I personally find it offensive that they've decided to take a dump on the title of one of the great Bond films, which coincidentally happens to be celebrating its 40th anniversary later this year. I too will give this a pass, not least because I have no time for either McKinnon or Kunis.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll take a huge pass on watching anything Kate McKinnon is involved in.
    Donnie Yen returns as

17361606_1267702883298937_5940914868233477799_n.jpg?oh=c913763836ea34c4ad6017dd0ec83bba&oe=595FB3BF

Filming scheduled to begin in 2018.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll take a huge pass on watching anything Kate McKinnon is involved in.

You don't appreciate the genius of (femme)Ghostbusters, @Creasy47? ;)
    So we can get a film adaptation of Sleeping Dogs, but not a sequel to the game? That's messed up.

@doubleoego, at the very least we can hope that maybe, just maybe, the hype that will be building around this project will drive Square Enix to get a developer on making another game with Wei.
    Donnie Yen is king!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So we can get a film adaptation of Sleeping Dogs, but not a sequel to the game? That's messed up.

@doubleoego, at the very least we can hope that maybe, just maybe, the hype that will be building around this project will drive Square Enix to get a developer on making another game with Wei.

One can only hope. I was gutted when they scrapped plans for a sequel. The game was so good; but with a movie being made the opportunity to revisit making another game definitely gives fans hope. Fingers crossed.
    @doubleoego, the game had so much potential to be polished for a sequel, far more promise for a prototype first game than I've seen in a lot of gaming were the mechanics were already so strong right out of the gate, especially the combat. I hope that if the film catches on and there's interest, we'll see what I've described. I think Square Enix's main reason for not going through with another game was down to what they perceived as a lack of consumer interest, and this may change that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MUST SEE!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

Another 'Taken' style film.. But with the beast that is Chadwick Boseman (aka Black Panther)? Yes, please!!!

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, I'm game for The Dark Tower. :)
    My list of must-see films are becoming overgrown.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »

I have to ask that question, but why not cast Will Yun Lee?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, I had always surmised that when the time came that someone inevitabl wanted to try making a 'Sleeping Dogs' movie adaptation, Yun Lee would be the first one cast.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

Another 'Taken' style film.. But with the beast that is Chadwick Boseman (aka Black Panther)? Yes, please!!!

I've been waiting for this a long time. It comes out theatrically in France soon but I think a Netflix release everywhere else.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, I had always surmised that when the time came that someone inevitabl wanted to try making a 'Sleeping Dogs' movie adaptation, Yun Lee would be the first one cast.

That would've been interesting, but Yen is an icon in China and popular with the west too, so his casting would generate more interest and box office at the end of it than Lee, who I don't think barely anyone recognizes. Yen was just a safer bet, even though he looks nothing like Wei.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Director James Gunn has just revealed two amazing heretofore secret additions to the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2:

According to Gunn, their two characters are somehow related to each other and are both very important to the Marvel Universe. Personally I couldn't be happier with the casting of the first name there, particularly given his amazing portrayal of a certain DC character. It's going to be great to see him back in action!