Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @fire_and_ice, I have a habit of staying away from most trailers now. I watch one to get a taste, then back away until the movie is released. It's too easy to be drowned in shots of the film, until there's no surprises left to see. Fleming knows we've all been burned by seeing too much these days.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    @fire_and_ice, I have a habit of staying away from most trailers now. I watch one to get a taste, then back away until the movie is released. It's too easy to be drowned in shots of the film, until there's no surprises left to see. Fleming knows we've all been burned by seeing too much these days.
    I watched the first trailer for The Mummy though avoiding anything else, Cruise and Sofia Boutella are enough for to gain my interest. Agree Spiderman Homecoming trailer 2 reminded me to only watch first trailers.
    Dracula: Untold isn't part of it, @MajorDSmythe. There have been attempts to put it among the collection but eventually they decided against it. The Mummy is the kickstarter to that Universal Monsters universe.

Sadly it isn't. The Dracula Untold movie was fairly good :/ Shame they wanted mega star power and don't consider that movie as part of this universe....

The trailer looks good, and I really like that Paint it black version they have in the trailer. If that's released somewhere please let me know
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I watched the first trailer for The Mummy though avoiding anything else, Cruise and Sofia Boutella are enough for to gain my interest. Agree Spiderman Homecoming trailer 2 reminded me to only watch first trailers.

@fire_and_ice, I'm glad I stayed away from the second Homecoming trailer. I waited to hear reactions and many feel it overshared, so away from it I kept.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,983
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    They should have quit after that abomination of Expendables III.

I'd prefer to get a fourth, simply because 'The Expendables 3' was so awful, they need to redeem themselves if they can. Shouldn't be too tough making a movie better than that third one, thankfully.

I still think Ex4 will happen with Stallone. This is a power play to get what he wants either in the script or a director or something else. He knows this is the last on, and perhaps his last big action film.

Concerning producer Avi Lerner.

Movie studio boss Avi Lerner has played down reports suggesting Sylvester Stallone has quit his The Expendables film franchise following creative differences between the pair"

Avi: “We’ve got disagreements with Sly, but we’ve had them for over a year and a half,” the producer told Deadline. “Right now, each one has an opinion. We agreed on 95% of things, but there are certain things in production we don’t agree on. I don’t think it’s over, but write whatever you want. In my opinion, it’s not dead.”

Isn't Sly the head scriptwriter anyway? It should be his say above all, since he's such a big figurehead in the creation of the films and how they get produced and likely funded.
    Films, particularly franchises, can be complex, who holds ultimate control when it coms to The Expendables is not clear.

I frequent a popular Stallone site and he seemed pretty pumped for this film, and I mean that figuratively
    @talos7, I'm just boggled about what ideas they could be disputing in the script. It's a damn action movie, built around set pieces. What is there to be creatively contentious about?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,983
    Well, for the last film there was a big struggle over what rating to go for, R or PG-13; they went with PG-13. For this one the producer Lerner says that they agree on 95%. Stallone walked. That must be a serious 5% in dispute.

Think about Logan and how different it is from any of the other superhero films. Jackman and company are fortunate that the studio agreed to let them film their vision. Had they not you could have had Jackman walking.

Possibly Stallone wants to do something different with this last instalment. He has hinted things that point to that.
    He might want to actually kill off characters, and that could be a dispute, as it ties to the story's tone, rating and how actors are paid.

I know the last film was infamous for that massive leak of it that came out before it hit theaters, really blasting its box office legs badly. If they can avoid a repeat of that, they should be good.

I agree with those who said that Sly could be faking the walk to get a better negotiating point, essentially threatening to abandon the project unless he's listened to.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    By the way, in case nobody has heard it, Raymond Chandler's hard-boiled private eye is making a comeback to the big screen. Starring Liam Neeson as Philip Marlowe in an adaptation of an authorized 2014 Marlowe novel, The Black-Eyes Blonde by John Banville (under the pseudonym of Benjamin Black), set in the 1950s. The film, however, is simply titled Marlowe.

Further information here:
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/liam-neeson-philip-marlowe-william-monahan-1202018969/
    By the way, in case nobody has heard it, Raymond Chandler's hard-boiled private eye is making a comeback to the big screen. Starring Liam Neeson as Philip Marlowe in an adaptation of an authorized 2014 Marlowe novel, The Black-Eyes Blonde by John Banville (under the pseudonym of Benjamin Black), set in the 1950s. The film, however, is simply titled Marlowe.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/liam-neeson-philip-marlowe-william-monahan-1202018969/

@ClarkDevlin, OH MY GOD. This is some of the best films news I've ever gotten! Neeson is freaking perfect for a dour cynic like Marlowe. I think he could credibly join the likes of Robert Mitchum and Humphrey Bogart at expertly playing a tired, morose man with life-sucked energy.

@ClarkDevlin, OH MY GOD. This is some of the best films news I've ever gotten! Neeson is freaking perfect for a dour cynic like Marlowe. I think he could credibly join the likes of Robert Mitchum and Humphrey Bogart at expertly playing a tired, morose man with life-sucked energy.
    I completely understand what you mean, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! :D Been a Marlowe fan since my mid-teens and both the enlisted names up there are my favourite portrayals of the character, with Bogart being slightly higher in rank. It's been a long time since we've had a Marlowe film out there. I'm more than sure there Neeson will climb up there to associate himself with the other two as the best Marlowe actors to date.

There was a talk back in 2009 about Frank Miller writing a Marlowe screenplay and wanting Clive Owen to star in the role. Thing is, as much as I love both doing their own things, can't imagine either of them being even briefly right for a project like that. Glad it was canned soon thereafter.
    @ClarkDevlin, I think Miller's dialogues as seen in Sin City and Owen's ability to play very quietly smoldering characters would've been interesting to see come together in a Marlowe film.

Neeson is simply meant to play hard men on a mission, and there's no better place for that than in the noir genre. I hope this really becomes a success, because I'd love to see him play Marlowe in additional films after. As you said, it's been too long. Movies these days really disappoint me, and that's partly down to the fact that decent noirs don't get made anymore, and the genre has fallen by the wayside. It's time it had a rebirth so my favorite movies can have life in the modern era too.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I was going to cite Sin City as one of the reasons I can't imagine Miller being right for a Marlowe story. Miller, as much as I love and admire the man as a great writer, relies too much on violence, blood and gore, and separate from that issue, he relies on some stylistics that just wouldn't fit the traditional film noir genre.

The visuals seen in Sin City are great for their own because it's the franchise's very own property and thematic. But, when talking about a Marlowe film, I expect it to be down-to-earth, simple, artistic in a normal way without adding CGI effects to it that makes the visuals look comical and ridiculous. It's the same reason I can't picture Quentin Tarantino making a James Bond film.

With Clive Owen being a favourite of mine, it's deeply noticeable that he can't slip past his native English accent you'd immediately know he's an Englishman. In Hemingway & Gellhorn, his American accent wasn't convincing at all, and many times it slipped away, which is why I can't see him playing an American character, and especially Marlowe. But, I wouldn't say no to a character inspired by Marlowe, just not the Raymond Chandler character. Pierce sadly suffers from that issue, as well. His Irish accent is everywhere just like Sean's Scottish accent.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767
    It does look way more action geared than horror, which is not my preference for a Mummy revamp. Cruise has his M:I films for expensive exercising, let the Classic Universal Monster renaissance be its own thing. We'll see how it all shakes down though.
    Good point.

boldfinger wrote: »
    Dracula: Untold isn't part of it, @MajorDSmythe. There have been attempts to put it among the collection but eventually they decided against it. The Mummy is the kickstarter to that Universal Monsters universe.
    Baahh. I want simple standalone films.

An interconnected Universal Monster universe has great potential for either failure or success. The concept alone of "Marvelizing" a classic horror canon is pretty mouthwatering. But I'd prefer if the tone were predominantly horror, which I fear may not be the case. A lot is resting on the shoulders of The Mummy here. I'm very interested to see just how it turns out.
    One thing I seriously dislike about the MCU is that there are hardly any standalone films. No matter how well thought-through and executed some Marvel films may be, the constant setting up of something to come beyond the present film is much too emphasized, and most of the films are hardly understandable without any previous knowledge. The Bond films up to CR all had introductory elements that made them fun to watch on their own. I don´t see that a lot in Marvel films.

Yes, I think Universal course-corrected on that decision when the film didn't work out the way they'd hoped. Are we to assume that they're just recasting and rewriting another Dracula project for later release?

Hollywood needs to move away from these "sexy" approaches to depicting vampirism and just get back to how it's supposed to be: super gothic, super creepy, super atmospheric. Dracula shouldn't look like he's just shot the Victorian equivalent of a fireman's calendar with his bulging abs and twinkling eyes (no offense to Luke Evans). Make it like the old black and white film, haunting and spooky. Dracula is a character to get a lot of mileage out of, as he can have real depth.
    @ClarkDevlin, one of the thoughts I had after posting was just that: "Universal, just pretend you're Hammer Horror."

In a world where films with low budgets can profit in the millions even with an R-rating, you could take Dracula to that darker place that Twilight and others like it have sapped from him. Stoker's haunting figure has been suffocated by modern depictions that feature a bunch of pale model-looking vampires that are about as intimidating as James Bond is a Puritan. People have had their ideas of what vampires are tarnished by all these fluffy teen-baited projects that choose to focus on poorly realized "romance," losing focus of all the gothic mystery and tradition of those figures.
    Very good points too.

Definitely. Couldn't agree more. Dracula is supposed to be a frightening figure like the boogeyman under your bed at night. He's the one that can rob you into a dark world where insanity and criminally terrifying ideologies are the norm you can't escape from. Although, the likes of Twilight find that attractive which is why vampires nowadays are depicted as "sexy" and/or "pretty" type of "bad boys" who make its victims "want to sin". That's just stupid. Give me the haunting soul of horror over that balderdash any day.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Talking of Marlowe/Bogie, I still need to see the original The Big Sleep.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    Baahh. I want simple standalone films.

An interconnected Universal Monster universe has great potential for either failure or success. The concept alone of "Marvelizing" a classic horror canon is pretty mouthwatering. But I'd prefer if the tone were predominantly horror, which I fear may not be the case. A lot is resting on the shoulders of The Mummy here. I'm very interested to see just how it turns out.
    One thing I seriously dislike about the MCU is that there are hardly any standalone films. No matter how well thought-through and executed some Marvel films may be, the constant setting up of something to come beyond the present film is much too emphasized, and most of the films are hardly understandable without any previous knowledge. The Bond films up to CR all had introductory elements that made them fun to watch on their own. I don´t see that a lot in Marvel films.

Yes, after years of setting things up with standalone/introductory character films, Marvel seems to be mostly about the team/ensemble feature these days, and a lot of that is geared toward winking at things to come or setting up future plot lines the present audience doesn't necessarily need to know about or care about for the duration of the current film they're watching. I could do without that myself. Feels more like watching a TV series at points. Hopefully we won't get too much "setting up" in The Mummy (though I worry Crowe's Jekyll will will be used in that regard).

I also think Marvel's team features tend to lend themselves too easily to sprawling action at the expense of character. But I was impressed by how Age of Ultron balanced drama and action, particularly with respect to Black Widow and Hulk and with defining and exploring Hawkeye as a family man. Some quality writing and acting there, and is that ever refreshing in the midst of a 2.5 hr action fest.

Talking of Marlowe/Bogie, I still need to see the original The Big Sleep.

I know you do, @MajorDSmythe. You really need to get on that!
    Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't done with Terminator:
    http://theactionelite.com/2017/04/arnie-isnt-done-with-terminator/
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Foreigner Chinese teaser trailer, apparently scheduling the film for 2017 release:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5h17h0_the-foreigner-jackie-chan-pierce-brosnan_shortfilms
    It's about time. The Campbell/Brosnan reunion!
    Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't done with Terminator:
    http://theactionelite.com/2017/04/arnie-isnt-done-with-terminator/
    I honestly wish they would just retire this once and for all.
    Same. They shouldn't have went further after the second one. It just isn't great anymore after churning out the story with lots of struggle to try and find a market for a "profitable franchise" since Rise of The Machines. They made a prequel, they made a TV series, they made a retcon, none of them worked. It's just enough. Leave it alone.
    I'm up for more Terminator if Arnold is. I was really hoping that they would have continued with what the last film, or at least with Arnold and Emilia Clarke together.

Regardless, if there's a new Terminator film starring Arnold, I'll be there.
    dalton wrote: »
    I'm up for more Terminator if Arnold is. I was really hoping that they would have continued with what the last film, or at least with Arnold and Emilia Clarke together.

Regardless, if there's a new Terminator film starring Arnold, I'll be there.
    If there´s a new Terminator film starring Arnold, I won´t be there. If there´s a new Terminator film with no Arnie whatsoever, I would be curious.

Looks fantastic :-). The only problem I have is that I find Sofia Boutella much more attractive than the blonde chick who seems to be intended as an object of sympathy.

Have to say I am very intrigued after that trailer?
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Not sure if this hasn´t been posted already. If yes, forgive me.

For those who don´t mind yet more spoilers, here´s some great tv spot stuff for Alien Covenant.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2017 Posts: 11,139
    For real???!!! :-O