Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Have some faith. It will probably end well.
    Thanks, Padre Tronido-dedo. :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    This looks absolutely phenomenal! Moved up with a bullet to one of my must sees for the year. This is sort of what I've always thought they should have done with Bourne (bringing him in from the cold).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,691
    @bondjames Agreed, this film is going to be very good. Really excited to see Michael Keaton as an older badass like a certain Liam Neeson.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This looks absolutely phenomenal! Moved up with a bullet to one of my must sees for the year. This is sort of what I've always thought they should have done with Bourne (bringing him in from the cold).
    Hear hear!
    Looking forward to checking this out; only thing I've seen that lead actor in was 'The Maze Runner' or whatever it was - thought it'd be garbage, but I shockingly enjoyed it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 wasn't that young actor in 'Deepwater Horizon'?
    I've been meaning to see The Maze Runner film series myself. How are those, @Creasy47? Seen them all?
    I've been meaning to see The Maze Runner film series myself. How are those, @Creasy47? Seen them all?

I only saw the first one, and with it being a young adult novel adaptation, I thought surely it would be horrendous, but I don't know if it was my mood or my seriously lowered expectations, but I thought it was good fun and worthy of a viewing. I haven't caught any of the sequels (don't know how many are out, I know progress was halted on one after he got in a bad accident on set), but I may one day in the future.

@DaltonCraig007, was he? I must've overlooked him! He doesn't have the most recognizable face to me yet, so that could be why.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    There's a bit of of the late Paul Walker in this chap. He seems to be a bit of an expressionless everyman, but appears reasonably fit and versatile.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @ClarkDevlin @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, @Creasy47 @bondjames, @doubleoego, @MajorDSmythe, @DarthDimi

1st trailer for the 3rd and final film in Takeshi Kitano's 'Outrage' trilogy:

And the 1st trailer for the new South Korean historical action film:

Oh crap! Can't wait for these.

This looks spectacular. Damn, Hollywood seems to he stepping it's game up. Don't get left behind, 007!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    American Assassin looks interesting, but as a fan of the late Vince Flynn's books, I'm sad to see nothing of the story or the character on the screen. A very dutiful man has been turned into a rather reckless and revenge seeking fiend.

It looks like Keaton will steal the show, and make it worth at least one watch. I don't expect a series out of this, though.
    Japanese trailer for the latest 'Pirates of the Caribbean' installment (the site I got it from warns that it may be spoilery, so proceed at your own risk):

/\ Not going to risk the trailer above then! Thanks for the warning!
    Will Smith in talks to play the genie in Guy Ritchie's live-action adaptation of 'Aladdin':

http://deadline.com/2017/04/will-smith-genie-role-aladdin-disney-1202072355/
    Not that Smith would be bad in any way, but when I think of the genie in Aladdin, I can´t help but think of Dwayne Johnson. Was he mentioned at some point in connection with the film, or is just because he would be cut out for that role?
    I don't believe he was ever in talks for the role - quick Google search doesn't show much, anyway - but I haven't really followed the timeline of it all, so he may have been. I didn't know (before posting that link earlier) that Ritchie was directing the movie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm surprised poor Will is courting the role. It's not the lead part in the film, so I would assume he'd refuse it.
    I'm surprised poor Will is courting the role. It's not the lead part in the film, so I would assume he'd refuse it.

I still can't believe he was too good to star in 'Django Unchained,' but he had no problem doing trash like 'After Earth' and 'Collateral Beauty.'

I still can't believe he was too good to star in 'Django Unchained,' but he had no problem doing trash like 'After Earth' and 'Collateral Beauty.'

Yes, he has needed to rethink his career for a while now. I'm happy he turned on Django, as Jamie was great, but I agree that his choices around that time were laughable. I'm all for supporting family, but I also hate that he always has to throw his untalented kids into the mix too and get them parts in his movies.

I'm still shocked he did Suicide Squad, as that's a team film and there would actually be times where his face wouldn't be on the screen for the entire duration of it. He hasn't seemed the type to share spotlights and that's an attitude that he doesn't wear well. I really like him as an entertainer, but he's changed over time in discouraging ways.
    Same here; I've never been too upset that he passed on the role of Django, as Foxx was incredible. I'd like to assume he's made a reassessment of his work over the last few years, but at the same time, 'Suicide Squad' was recent and not a starring role for him, and 'Collateral Beauty,' while starring him, was a complete dud. Suppose he didn't know that going into it, though.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Same here; I've never been too upset that he passed on the role of Django, as Foxx was incredible. I'd like to assume he's made a reassessment of his work over the last few years, but at the same time, 'Suicide Squad' was recent and not a starring role for him, and 'Collateral Beauty,' while starring him, was a complete dud. Suppose he didn't know that going into it, though.

I think there's been a considerable long line of duds with him in the lead parts in the past decade or more, which is surprising since he used to be one of the biggest draws around for box office. I don't know if his attitude for wanting to be the star has badly impacted his chances of accepting certain roles that would cast him as a minor or supporting character, or if there simply hasn't been offers period. He's really exited the big screen in a lot of ways, and is a shadow of his forum self in that regard. He wouldn't even come back for the second Independence Day, but from what I've heard about it, that may've been a wise choice.
    One of the few wise decisions he's made lately was passing on the 'Independence Day' sequel. One of the worst movies I've sat through in the last decade, bar none.
    One of the few wise decisions he's made lately was passing on the 'Independence Day' sequel. One of the worst movies I've sat through in the last decade, bar none.

@Creasy47, it'd be great to see him have a career resurgence with big dramatic roles like Matthew McConaughey did, as he has the stuff. He's utterly compelling in films like I Am Legend and Pursuit of Happyness.

@Creasy47, it'd be great to see him have a career resurgence with big dramatic roles like Matthew McConaughey did, as he has the stuff. He's utterly compelling in films like I Am Legend and Pursuit of Happyness.

Agreed. It seems he can act when he wants to, shame he isn't a bit picker with the roles he signs on for. Meanwhile, here I am eagerly awaiting another 'Bad Boys' installment, and that looks less and less likely of seeing the light of day.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have always found Will Smith to be an incredibly dull actor. Ever since that stupid tv show which for an unknown reason was a big hit.
    To me it seems like he tries too hard in his films (when he tries to act that is). I've always found him most interesting in the lighter fare like Independence Day or Bad Boys. Ali was the film where I saw him make this big push for quality recognition, but I never bought it.
    I have always found Will Smith to be an incredibly dull actor. Ever since that stupid tv show which for an unknown reason was a big hit.

Funnily enough, that's one of my favorite shows of all time!
    bondjames wrote: »
    To me it seems like he tries too hard in his films (when he tries to act that is). I've always found him most interesting in the lighter fare like Independence Day or Bad Boys. Ali was the film where I saw him make this big push for quality recognition, but I never bought it.

@bondjames, nobody could ever accuse him of being subtle, that's for sure. I agree that he works best in roles where he gets to play the clown or do some kind of outrageous comedy, as that's what his career was kicked off by to great results in Fresh Prince. I just get upset when he doesn't push himself more, as I have seen a lot of great dramatic performances from him. Pursuit of Happyness is one of my favorite performances by an actor in modern cinema, for crying out loud. I want to see more of that Will.

You would have thought he learned his lesson after the whole Matrix/Wild Wild West situation.