Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm on the other side of the fence with that, and I'd want Bond to have fixed dates. But, we all know Eon would never set a foot on that threshold.

I think EON are all the smarter-and less infuriating-by doing so. Marvel can plan movies till 2030 to their heart's content, projecting all their plans in an expensive game of shooting the load, but with Bond it's different. Bond isn't a comic book series and you can't just plan stories till the end of time with 70 years of comics to base things off of where you know you can always make the world whatever you need it to be, as it exists in fiction. Bond plays by the real world, and each plot and villain is a vision of the time it was made. It's illogical for EON to plan films a decade ahead because they are more aware than most in Hollywood at how quick the world can change and how our enemies and dangers shift to wear news faces.

In the early 80s Bond was facing radical communism and in just five years the USSR as it was known was eroded and the Cold War over, changing the world forever and endangering Bond's purpose as a spy birthed in that era. While Bond was battling simple corrupt media in the late 90s, a decade later terrorism had changed the view of the world and the stakes of his work, with the dangers of surveillance and hacking changing the vision even further under half a decade later. The world can change in seconds flat, where a few years of time birth a new climate unknown to us with its own unseen consequences. EON can't plan for that, and can only do one Bond film at a time, going with the changing winds of our world the best they can, all while telling relevant stories that have meaning to us at each moment.

The Hollywood method of throwing money at numerous projects willy nilly and pre-planning without any assurance of franchise security doesn't fit that operational model. And thank heavens for it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,690
    With the newly announced release dates today, here is the current Superhero schedule for 2018:

Black Panther: Feb 16th
    New Mutants: April 13th
    Avengers: Infinity War: May 4th
    Deadpool 2: June 1st
    Ant Man and the Wasp: July 6th
    Venom: Oct 6th
    X Men: Dark Phoenix: Nov 2nd
    Aquaman: Dec 21st
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm on the other side of the fence with that, and I'd want Bond to have fixed dates. But, we all know Eon would never set a foot on that threshold.

I think EON are all the smarter-and less infuriating-by doing so. Marvel can plan movies till 2030 to their heart's content, projecting all their plans in an expensive game of shooting the load, but with Bond it's different. Bond isn't a comic book series and you can't just plan stories till the end of time with 70 years of comics to base things off of where you know you can always make the world whatever you need it to be, as it exists in fiction. Bond plays by the real world, and each plot and villain is a vision of the time it was made. It's illogical for EON to plan films a decade ahead because they are more aware than most in Hollywood at how quick the world can change and how our enemies and dangers shift to wear news faces.

In the early 80s Bond was facing radical communism and in just five years the USSR as it was known was eroded and the Cold War over, changing the world forever and endangering Bond's purpose as a spy birthed in that era. While Bond was battling simple corrupt media in the late 90s, a decade later terrorism had changed the view of the world and the stakes of his work, with the dangers of surveillance and hacking changing the vision even further under half a decade later. The world can change in seconds flat, where a few years of time birth a new climate unknown to us with its own unseen consequences. EON can't plan for that, and can only do one Bond film at a time, going with the changing winds of our world the best they can, all while telling relevant stories that have meaning to us at each moment.

The Hollywood method of throwing money at numerous projects willy nilly and pre-planning without any assurance of franchise security doesn't fit that operational model. And thank heavens for it.
    I can argue with none of those. All of them are points well made.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What do you guys think of the Venom film that's supposed to be coming around 2018, with an R-rating and a story unconnected from the Marvel films? I personally can't see it getting off the ground. Or maybe that's just my blind hope.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This is why Sony's film devision is a joke. They have failure rooted in their creative DNA. Bloody morons.
    All the right reasons why Bond should never go to them again.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,444
    It have been nice if Sony have confirmd Salt 2 for 2019 or 2020. in 2020 It is is 10 years after the movie in 2010. 2019 be same time as Jason Bourne returns after 9 years (2007 - 2016).

And Kuifje 2 (Tin Tin 2). First movie is from 2011 and don't understand why Spielberg also not directing a second and then Peter Jackson can make the 3th and 4th movie.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,690
    The next Steven Spielberg film, The Post has been given a Dec 22nd 2017 release date. Once again a true story thriller/drama, and featuring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep in the lead roles.

Spielberg has already finished filming Ready Player One, a sci-fi adventure film, with Tye Sheridan, Mark Rylance, Ben Mendelsohn and Simon Pegg. It comes out in March 2018.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't have time for Streep, but Hanks and Spielberg mean I'm in on day one.
    bondjames wrote: »

@bondjames, I'm sure the academy will find some way to give the old bird her annual, contractually obligated oscar nod. 8-|
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »

@bondjames, I'm sure the academy will find some way to give the old bird her annual, contractually obligated oscar nod. 8-|
    You reflect my thoughts exactly @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I wish they'd give it a rest, but she's their girl.
    With the newly announced release dates today, here is the current Superhero schedule for 2018:

:O

Like 80% of these movies haven't even started filming yet... I will be surprised if we see every single movie from this post.

Like sure Avengers,Deadpool,Aquaman and Black Panther and Antman/Wasp movies will happen but I have doubts about the others..

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,444
    Fox delayd the 3th Maze Runner again. From second weak of January 2018 to second weak of February 2018.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/new-dates-for-maze-sparrow-orient-spielberg/
    20th Century Fox is continuing to change up its slate this morning, quickly moving “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” into that February 9th slot that was previously set aside for Shane Black’s “The Predator”.

New release date in The Netherlands wil possible be 8 February 2018, same day as Fifty Shades Freed aka Fifty Shades of Grey 3.
    @doubleoego I know you're a big fan of Iko Uwais, but just look at his fitness level for 'Triple Threat':

17438524_1806005086385970_1869553982108598272_n.jpg
    That is not fitness, that is bodybuilding. He had a third of muscle mass in The Raid, and if you see how they shot the whole day through, repeating action scenes over and over again, that was true fitness!

Good lord. As a moviegoer it's certainly nice to have lots of options, but isn't Marvel at serious risk of cannibalizing itself here? Will the public pay to see 8 Marvel movies in a year?

I know there are some fast-food restaurant chains that promote a sort of Darwinian franchise logic like this, and will allow multiple outlets with different owners to open near one another. The idea is that the strongest survives and the rest die at minimal cost to the parent company.

But Marvel needs to make solid returns on all these projects in order for it to pay off, since they're looking at easily a billion in production costs just in 2018.

Don´t worry, it will only be seven, since Aquaman is DC ;-).
    @doubleoego I know you're a big fan of Iko Uwais, but just look at his fitness level for 'Triple Threat':

Beast mode!
    octofinger wrote: »

Good lord. As a moviegoer it's certainly nice to have lots of options, but isn't Marvel at serious risk of cannibalizing itself here? Will the public pay to see 8 Marvel movies in a year?

I know there are some fast-food restaurant chains that promote a sort of Darwinian franchise logic like this, and will allow multiple outlets with different owners to open near one another. The idea is that the strongest survives and the rest die at minimal cost to the parent company.

But Marvel needs to make solid returns on all these projects in order for it to pay off, since they're looking at easily a billion in production costs just in 2018.

Marvel have 3 films out in 2018; February, May and July. They won't cannibalise themselves. The other Marvel characters are over at Fox and Sony and looking at the release dates closely; they're actually all fine. They won't get in the way of each other.
    Yes!!!

I just won 2 tickets for the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 premiere in Hammersmith tomorrow!!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's great news, @doubleoego! Have a blast.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

This is a perfect example of dramatic lighting, from directly above, being used to exaggerate a physique. There's no doubt that this guy is in shape but being lit the way he is makes for deep shadows and bright highlights. this exaggerates his muscularity. This same effect has made Craig look bigger than he is in a handful of scenes.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I did not see the first, but these films do look kind of fun.

Brozza-Bond-fun! ;)

Brozza-Bond-fun! ;)

I forgot, I don t have a sense of fun. I only like things that bore me.

Brozza-Bond-fun! ;)

I forgot, I don t have a sense of fun. I only like things that bore me.
    GIF-OOOOOOOOH.gif
    Is that from GOTG2? The first one bored me, which should mean I like it, but strangely I don t.

Brozza-Bond-fun! ;)

Dammit, @ClarkDevlin, now he's never going to see the Kingsman films. You really dropped the ball on this one, kid!

Brozza-Bond-fun! ;)

Dammit, @ClarkDevlin, now he's never going to see the Kingsman films. You really dropped the ball on this one, kid!
    I try. :))