Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

Well, I'm gonna pass on that
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    1st trailer for The Dark Tower

I'm there on day one. I don't know what it's about but Elba vs. McConaughey has my attention.

"You can't stop what's coming. Death always wins"

It's true, eventually.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I friggin love it! :D
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 1,661
    It's kinda funny the villain is called the Man in Black when the hero is the one that is black and with black attire. In the Stephen King novel Roland is white. Some fan outrage:

http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:7630

I doubt regular moviegoers will care.

Although, the Randall Flagg stand-in character is wearing all black.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @doubleoego I'm hoping to be able to check out 'Message From the King' next Wednesday. I know your appreciation for Chadwick Boseman since 'Civil War' is sky-high, and what looks like a Taken-style revenge flick while waiting for 'Black Panther' will whet both our appetites. I'll make sure to give you my thoughts on the film, if I have the chance to see it.

I've been a fan of Boseman's since he was in Lincoln Heights but this film looks good; great supporting cast too.
    A tower that protects the world sounds utterly dumb, and there´s a kid in a major role:-(. On the upside, Idris Elba is reloading faster than Val Kilmer in Heat :-).
    I believe it's more complicated than that. The tower is only a door to several dimensions. I can't really sum it up all right now, you'd only understand it if you read the first seven novels.
    The child is problematic (I'm not keen on their involvement in this genre). Hopefully he doesn't spoil things.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The child is problematic (I'm not keen on their involvement in this genre). Hopefully he doesn't spoil things.
    Not really. He isn't problematic at all. Just someone caught in the same illusion as the gunslinger.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not really. He isn't problematic at all. Just someone caught in the same illusion as the gunslinger.

He is problematic if you don't care to watch a kid actor in a movie such as this, though. It's what keeps me a bit cautious about the upcoming 'The Predator,' as well.
    Ok. Given I know nothing of this franchise, I'll keep an open mind.
    I believe it's more complicated than that. The tower is only a door to several dimensions. I can't really sum it up all right now, you'd only understand it if you read the first seven novels.
    I´m curious if they manage to give a simple explanation in the film. I´m not interested in a film I have to read a seven volume manual for.

Creasy47 wrote: »

He is problematic if you don't care to watch a kid actor in a movie such as this, though. It's what keeps me a bit cautious about the upcoming 'The Predator,' as well.
    I wasn´t aware that The Predator will have a kid. However, Shane Black seems quite apt at working with kids, and at making stories with kids work. He´s an exceptional talent.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

1st look at Kenneth Branagh's adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express

murderontheorientexpress-ewcover.jpg
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm soooo there for this. The original is one of my favourite films.

Great cast. I see Michelle Pfeiffer, Depp, Dafoe, Daisy Ridley and Dame Judi there. However, they should have got an ex-Bond (like they did in the original). Dalton or Brozza would have been perfect. Fools.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Am I the only one who finds the Christie stories boring?
    It's not so much the stories but the characters & location work that are normally quite interesting.

The original Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile & Evil Under the Sun are supremely atmospheric. There's something of the Lindbergh kidnapping story in the first one too, which makes it especially chilling.
    Sensational!
    Poirot's facial hair looks ridiculous. Wasn't terribly crazy about the novel, but the cast is stellar (sans a few choices) so I'll have to check it out at some point.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,882
    I was going to mention the 'stache and soul patch(?) combo.

article-2487565-0774B678000005DC-232_306x447.jpg

Comparisons are inevitable.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I really am not a fan of the longer mustache and the soul patch, though. That's not Poirot-like.
    I really am not a fan of the longer mustache and the soul patch, though. That's not Poirot-like.

It looks fake to me, like it doesn't exist and was shoddily attached through Photoshop or cut/paste. I know that's not the case, but I can't see it any other way.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It looks fake to me, like it doesn't exist and was shoddily attached through Photoshop or cut/paste. I know that's not the case, but I can't see it any other way.
    Same here, and I was going to say that, too. It looks like a lousy photoshop.
    First production photo from 'Rampage,' which starts shooting today:

18275028_10155502960879384_7492130665321226552_n.jpg?oh=e9beb3e327109ef1a1a785791d77ecc8&oe=59B69C5F
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I really like how Dwayne Johnson's arms look bigger than the other guy's legs.
    Haha, he isn't The Rock for nothing. :D

And regarding The Dark Tower, there will be an official TV Series directly tying to the film itself and will be based on the novel The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, focusing on Roland Deschain's younger self and exploring his origins, set to star a younger actor as the gunslinger, while Idris Elba and Tom Taylor are said to be reprising their respective roles as Roland and Jake Chambers (the kid) from the film.

http://ew.com/article/2016/09/21/dark-tower-tv-series-stephen-king-wizard-glass/
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales set to be the shortest film in the franchise, clocking at 2 hours and 9 minutes (the previous shortest was the 4th film, with a run time of 2 hours and 16 minutes).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That is really ok.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 40,372
    jake24 wrote: »
    That is really ok.

I almost welcome shorter length running times these days. A lot of movies that don't warrant a long running time have ran with one lately, leaving the film to feel bloated and/or drag.

EDIT: Brian de Palma sets his next film as 'Domino,' an international crime thriller:

http://collider.com/brian-de-palma-christina-hendricks-domino/

Shane Salerno to write the 'Gears of War' movie for Universal:

http://deadline.com/2017/05/gears-of-war-movie-shane-salerno-writing-universal-pictures-microsoft-studios-dylan-clark-1202083159/
    The Dark Tower's plans for universe will probably flop hard.

The Orient Express picture looks good but overly photoshopped..I can't wait for trailer for it tho