No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Irreplaceable may be. Of course they are. But, that doesn't mean to look out for those who aim themselves to be attractive for the teenage girls, and I'm talking about those "candidates". Go for a man who's "rugged handsome" and alpha male in every way. Someone who screams distinguished gentleman. A mixture of Moore (wit and puns), Connery (sarcasm, machismo and know-it-all attitude) and Dalton (edgy only with that death stare, but ditch the emotions). That's the perfect Bond. Give his dressing style a combination of Connery and Brosnan, from suits to casual wear, and have Moore's safari suit return at occasions, that's about it. That'd be my perfect Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Aidan Turner seems like a good mix of Connery and Dalton.

Disagree: he has the pout of Brosnan/Affleck. Presence of a TV actor at best. Acting can get a little stagey, like Dalton's. But it fits better on the small screen.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    peter wrote: »
    Aidan Turner seems like a good mix of Connery and Dalton.

Disagree: he has the pout of Brosnan/Affleck. Presence of a TV actor at best. Acting can get a little stagey, like Dalton's. But it fits better on the small screen.

Agree with your disagree. However he did make out with a hot redheaded fairy so that's got to be some brownie points somewhere.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Irreplaceable may be. Of course they are. But, that doesn't mean to look out for those who aim themselves to be attractive for the teenage girls, and I'm talking about those "candidates". Go for a man who's "rugged handsome" and alpha male in every way. Someone who screams distinguished gentleman. A mixture of Moore (wit and puns), Connery (sarcasm, machismo and know-it-all attitude) and Dalton (edgy only with that death stare, but ditch the emotions). That's the perfect Bond. Give his dressing style a combination of Connery and Brosnan, from suits to casual wear, and have Moore's safari suit return at occasions, that's about it. That'd be my perfect Bond.
    Agreed. Obviously Connery and Moore are legends and, therefore, irreplaceable. But that's exactly the direction they should follow when looking for the next Bond. And I'm confident they will.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Dornan would be an excellent Bond...but I think he blew it by taking the role of Christian Grey.
  • Yeah, "Bondage...James Bondage," the headlines would write themselves. Then again Craig prevailed despite a tirade of media backlash.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Well said. I'm inclined to agree, but I still don't know where they will find this kind of perfection. They don't make them like they used to any more, sadly.

EDIT: I'm currently watching Ray Donovan (one of my favourite tv series) Season 4. Liev Schreiber definitely has most of these attributes. He's American & too old so there's no way he could ever be Bond, but this guy definitely gives off that cool rugged vibe better than most. I've felt that way since I saw him outshine Affleck in a small part in The Sum Of all Fears.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Naomie Harris talks about her nomination for Moonlight, last year’s diversity scandal — and why she’s up for the next Bond film - The Times

[...] Sam Mendes, then on board for the Bond film Skyfall, came to see the show. A new Miss Moneypenny was born. “They said, ‘We want to create a Moneypenny who’s a total departure. We want her to be the kind of woman that modern women can look up to. We want her to be strong, powerful and intelligent. And we want her to go toe-to-toe with Bond.’ And I said, ‘That’s what I’m all about!’ Great!”

Of the possibility of a new Bond, a new Bond movie, or a new Bond anything, she can only say: “I would be very upset if I wasn’t in the next one, but we just don’t know. I met Barbara [Broccoli, the Bond producer] in New York a couple of weeks ago and I said, ‘Come on Barbara, what’s happening?’ And even she didn’t know. And I believe her. She’s very special to me. If she knew, believe me, she would’ve told me.”
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    We want her to be the kind of woman that modern women can look up to. We want her to be strong, powerful and intelligent.

So, basically, like every single Bond girl since 1995. Those 3 words in bold are used by EON and the respective actresses on a loop for every outing of the last 2 decades.
    We want her to be the kind of woman that modern women can look up to. We want her to be strong, powerful and intelligent.

So, basically, like every single Bond girl since 1995. Those 3 words in bold are used by EON and the respective actresses on a loop for every outing of the last 2 decades.

Yes, at least she was referencing Moneypenny in Skyfall.

What does it mean the BB doesn't know? I guess the studio situation.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    "A woman who is Bond's equal"?

The only one who was truly Bond's equal was Wai-Lin, followed closely by Jinx (love her or hate her, she was that, regardless of how you view her). The others were all-talk no action. Camille had potential but her skills were very downplayed.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Yes, at least she was referencing Moneypenny in Skyfall.

What does it mean the BB doesn't know? I guess the studio situation.

I assumed BB was referring to the studio situation, but then, is Harris even high enough in the food chain to be told what's going on at this stage in the game?

Moneypenny might not even be in Bond 25, so why tell Harris anything?

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,756
    'And we want her to go toe-to-toe with Bond.’

picard-facepalm.gif

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Can't say I remember her going toe to toe?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Naomie Harris talks about her nomination for Moonlight, last year’s diversity scandal — and why she’s up for the next Bond film - The Times

[...] Sam Mendes, then on board for the Bond film Skyfall, came to see the show. A new Miss Moneypenny was born. “They said, ‘We want to create a Moneypenny who’s a total departure. We want her to be the kind of woman that modern women can look up to. We want her to be strong, powerful and intelligent. And we want her to go toe-to-toe with Bond.’ And I said, ‘That’s what I’m all about!’ Great!”

Of the possibility of a new Bond, a new Bond movie, or a new Bond anything, she can only say: “I would be very upset if I wasn’t in the next one, but we just don’t know. I met Barbara [Broccoli, the Bond producer] in New York a couple of weeks ago and I said, ‘Come on Barbara, what’s happening?’ And even she didn’t know. And I believe her. She’s very special to me. If she knew, believe me, she would’ve told me.”

I don't understand how the head honcho doesn't even know what's going on. All very discouraging.

edited January 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Look, I think done properly, a female antagonist can be quite effective. Women can be portrayed as smart, intelligent, but keep Moneypenny out of the story.

Honestly I think you can't really have a permanent Bond girl anymore. Because the feminists will be upset if she's just a damsel in distress. And the fans get upset if she's feminist, so I don't really know how to resolve this issue.

I say get rid of the Bond girl angle. Have Bond shag some girl relevant to the plot, have her die, or make her non-essential to the plot (ie. Goldfinger). Make the plot more serious and story driven instead of emotionally driven. Bond doesn't find women useful, so why does he have to drag one around? Maybe because without a girl, the villains couldn't take anything immediately useful from Bond other than his life.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Look, I think done properly, a female antagonist can be quite effective. Women can be portrayed as smart, intelligent, but keep Moneypenny out of the story.

Honestly I think you can't really have a permanent Bond girl anymore. Because the feminists will be upset if she's just a damsel in distress. And the fans get upset if she's feminist, so I don't really know how to resolve this issue.

My issue wasn't with the Bond girls themselves, but how they've been hyped over the past 8 films/20 years. 'Smart', 'intelligent' and 'strong' are basically the only words that come out of every actresses in Bond films since GE. I find it hard to get excited over a new Bond girl until I actually see the film, because they all use the same god damn words in interviews.

• Look, I think done properly, a female antagonist can be quite effective. Women can be portrayed as smart, intelligent, but keep Moneypenny out of the story.

My issue wasn't with the Bond girls themselves, but how they've been hyped over the past 8 films/20 years. 'Smart', 'intelligent' and 'strong' are basically the only words that come out of every actresses in Bond films since GE. I find it hard to get excited over a new Bond girl until I actually see the film, because they all use the same god damn words in interviews.

This. Also don't forget the quote, "She's Bond's equal."

That was first uttered during production of The Spy Who Loved Me. (I've seen video of Lewis Gilbert saying it). And it was understandable, given how Triple-X was supposed to be the Soviet Union's best agent, etc.

In the 1990s, they'd say it again. I remember reading a 1997 USA Today story about the filming of Tomorrow Never Dies. It talked up Wai-Lin as if Triple-X had never existed.

In 2015, Lea Seydoux was interviewed by Empire. She talked as if Wai-Lin and Triple-X had never existed.

“She’s his equal, independent and strong and smart, and she doesn’t need him or wait for him to save her.”
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,588
    It's funny, Harris' comments share an interesting contrast to some of her earlier comments regarding her character circa SF.

"[Eve] thinks she's Bond's equal. She's not, but that's how she sees herself."
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2017 Posts: 5,987
    Moneypenny might not even be in Bond 25, so why tell Harris anything

But who will open the refrigerator?
    echo wrote: »

Some long lost relative seeking revenge ...and a glass of milk.

giphy.gif
    Yeah right, BB doesnt know whats going on with her billion dollar franchise? Give me a break.

She knows when it will likely release & Im willing to bet has several outlines/rough drafts,
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

giphy.gif

That wee bey gif never gets old.

edited January 2017 Posts: 15,691
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    She knows when it will likely release & Im willing to bet has several outlines/rough drafts,

If she does then why the hell is she not giving a single indication of when the film is coming? I'm not talking about an exact day, or even an exact month. But SP was release 15 months ago and we still don't know what friggin year EON is aiming to release Bond 25. If it's 2018, that means we're less than 1 year away from filming. Can we at least know if 2018 is a possibility? We are almost at half way point through a 3 years gap, and there is 0 information on a 2018 release.

I don't care about Craig's involvement, or possible directors or whatnot. Just tell us if they are aiming at 2018, or 2019, or 2020.
    Shes not saying anything because she is likely trying to get a script ready for Craig to read & formally accept. Also the publicity of the Spectre leaks will impact what gets trickled out next time around.

• Look, I think done properly, a female antagonist can be quite effective. Women can be portrayed as smart, intelligent, but keep Moneypenny out of the story.

This. Also don't forget the quote, "She's Bond's equal."

That was first uttered during production of The Spy Who Loved Me. (I've seen video of Lewis Gilbert saying it). And it was understandable, given how Triple-X was supposed to be the Soviet Union's best agent, etc.

In the 1990s, they'd say it again. I remember reading a 1997 USA Today story about the filming of Tomorrow Never Dies. It talked up Wai-Lin as if Triple-X had never existed.

In 2015, Lea Seydoux was interviewed by Empire. She talked as if Wai-Lin and Triple-X had never existed.

“She’s his equal, independent and strong and smart, and she doesn’t need him or wait for him to save her.”

wow never heard of that, that's so frustrating to read, the Lea seydoux biti mean , she's so clueless and her acting in Spectre was mediocre at best, overacting,way too emotional-driven. she's probably even worse than both the QoS bond girls who were way hotter btw!

Bond's equal? she didn't do shit in her role, she also couldn't even beat physically a grand mother, gimme a break equal to bond lol!

Wai lin and XXX looks like they can handle themselves, but even if i do love those 2 flicks, realistically in no way they could compete with male secret agents.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,691
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Shes not saying anything because she is likely trying to get a script ready for Craig to read & formally accept. Also the publicity of the Spectre leaks will impact what gets trickled out next time around.

There is a huge difference between keeping production under wraps and not giving even a simple indication on what YEAR Bond 25 is coming, 15 months after the previous outing.. I don't care if the gap from SP to B25 will be 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, or more. I just want to know if we can expect a Bond film for next year, or 2019, or 2020. Why is it that every god damn franchise these days are mapped out until the early 2020's, but we still don't have a friggin clue as to what year the next Bond film is coming. I'm not asking for Disney-level of planning in advance. EON always have my respect, but here they are treating fans like sh*t. I'm not demanding the world here. I don't need to know exactly where production is at right now, or if Craig is coming back. I just want an indication on if, yes or no, they are aiming for a 2018 release.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Barbara Broccoli is not giving the fans "shit." The story from SPECTRE obviously needs to be continued so she's trying put together the greatest bond script ever for Daniel to return.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't recall any moment in SF where Moneypenny did something intelligent or smart.