No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with Bond and Britain being on the side of so called righteousness. Every proud nation has a self-aggrandized sense of righteousness in my view, and that this self importance should infect a Bond film is understandable (and even encouraged perhaps), given the history of the Island and the fact that James Bond is an iconic character.

However, I'd prefer if they stay apolitical, in the sense that they don't point fingers at particular nations as being good or bad. Actors within those particular nations could be bad (like Orlov in OP for instance), but painting a whole nation & its leaders with a broad brush is a bad idea imho.

For all its faults, DAD did a reasonable job of it with North Korea.

I agree for the most part although I don't mind the injection of real world issues or conflicts.

QoS is a good example of that.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I don't have a problem with Bond and Britain being on the side of so called righteousness. Every proud nation has a self-aggrandized sense of righteousness in my view, and that this self importance should infect a Bond film is understandable (and even encouraged perhaps), given the history of the Island and the fact that James Bond is an iconic character.

However, I'd prefer if they stay apolitical, in the sense that they don't point fingers at particular nations as being good or bad. Actors within those particular nations could be bad (like Orlov in OP for instance), but painting a whole nation & its leaders with a broad brush is a bad idea imho.

For all its faults, DAD did a reasonable job of it with North Korea.

Hence we have S.P.E.C.T.R.E. now.....

I could deal with that, he's got that Fassbender-esque look to him

He's got the looks and was quite good in that psycho killer series with Gillian Anderson but I'm not sure he wowed anyone in Fifty Shades. If anything it really showed up his acting limitations.

He is so bland, it hurts.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Getafix wrote: »

He's got the looks and was quite good in that psycho killer series with Gillian Anderson but I'm not sure he wowed anyone in Fifty Shades. If anything it really showed up his acting limitations.

I heard Dorian was great in The Fall so I wouldn't close my mind to that idea. But at the end of the day it's up to Babs and the potential she sees.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 1,009
    I'd love to keep Bond apolitical and that's about it.

On a sidenote, as leftist myself, I have no comment about what I'm reading here except requesting users to respect each other's ideas.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Getafix wrote: »

I heard Dorian was great in The Fall so I wouldn't close my mind to that idea. But at the end of the day it's up to Babs and the potential she sees.

He was very good in The Fall, which is all I have seen him in.

He ticks many boxes but unfortunately he is one of those actors who looks better with a beard than without. Which won't help when it comes to Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Can you imagine the erotic fan fics by tumblr girls if Dorian becomes Bond? =))
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I can't recall any moment in SF where Moneypenny did something intelligent or smart.

@Creasy47 Think twice bro :D

giphy.gif
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    The UK (and the US) becoming isolationist and nationalist? A red-headed short-tempered madman with a nuclear weapon at his disposal? A sinister country and history lurking in the background?

I'd say Babs is looking long and hard at the faithful adaptation of MR we've long wanted.
    echo wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    The UK (and the US) becoming isolationist and nationalist? A red-headed short-tempered madman with a nuclear weapon at his disposal? A sinister country and history lurking in the background?

I'd say Babs is looking long and hard at the faithful adaptation of MR we've long wanted.

And essentially got 3 times? do we need a fourth version considering how other novels like Diamonds Are Forever and You Only Live Twice have been utilized twice at best but can still offer a lot
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't recall any moment in SF where Moneypenny did something intelligent or smart.

@Creasy47 Think twice bro :D

giphy.gif

I do like that moment, I won't lie, but you needn't be smart to shave!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sony Takes $962M Film Unit Write-Down
    Sony Corp. said Monday just after midnight L.A. time that it is taking a non-cash goodwill impairment charge in its film division.

Companies regularly test for possible impairments under accounting rules and take write-downs when the fair value of an asset falls below the book value recorded on a company's balance sheet.

"Today Sony Corp. announced that a goodwill impairment charge for the pictures segment of 112.1 billion yen (approximately 962 million U.S. dollars) was recorded as an operating loss in the third quarter ending December 31, 2016," a note from CEO Kazuo Hirai and Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton said.

It said the write-down came "as a result of revising the future profitability projection for the pictures segment."

"The majority of the goodwill that was impaired was originally recorded at the time of the acquisition of Columbia Pictures Entertainment Inc. in 1989," it said. "The impact on the consolidated results forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2017 (April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017) of this impairment and other factors is currently being evaluated and will be disclosed at the earnings announcement for the third quarter ended December 31, 2016 scheduled to be held on February 2, 2017."

And Sony said: "The impairment charge resulted from a downward revision in the future profitability projection for the motion pictures business within the pictures segment. The downward revision was primarily due to a lowering of previous expectations regarding the home entertainment business, mainly driven by an acceleration of market decline. Underlying profitability projections of film performance were also reduced, but the adverse impact of that reduction is expected to be largely mitigated by measures that have been identified to improve the profitability of the motion pictures business."

However, Hirai and Lynton reiterated Sony Corp.'s commitment to Sony Pictures Entertainment in an email to employees: "We, the management of Sony Corp and Sony Entertainment, take the fact of recording a substantial impairment charge very seriously. But make no mistake; Sony Corp’s commitment to SPE remains unchanged. The value of high-quality content continues to rise. As we have stated on many occasions, including at SPE’s all-hands meeting at the end of last year, Sony Corp. sees SPE as a very important part of Sony group and will continue to invest to achieve long-term growth and increased profits in this space."

The email continued, "We look forward to working together to achieve our consolidated financial targets of more than 10 percent in [return on equity] and 500 billion yen [$4.35 billion] in operating income."

Hirai is establishing an office at SPE and plans to spend more time there as the search for Lynton's successor goes on. Lynton announced earlier this month that he is leaving to become chairman of Snapchat owner Snap.

An analyst who covers Sony at a global financial institution in Tokyo, who asked not to be identified, told The Hollywood Reporter, "the film business has been struggling for years. This year, the only big release will be Spiderman and last year there were no big hits."

Sony also announced that it will sell part of its stake in M3 Inc, a network services provider that Sony established in 2000, to Goldman Sachs Japan for approximately $322 million (¥37 billion) in order to, "to strengthen its financial resources." The sale, the final price of which will be made public on Tuesday, will reduce Sony's stake to 34 percent, though it will remain the largest shareholder.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    What does this mean?
    Did you even read it?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Interesting. When I read that, I surmise that Sony will be quite budget conscious going forward when investing in films.

That is likely to apply to Bond as well, if they remain the studio distributor. That suggests a lower budget for the next entry, and if I were a betting man, also leans towards a shakeup and a newer, cheaper actor. Again, on the assumption that they remain the distributor.
    Interesting. When I read that, I surmise that Sony will be quite budget conscious going forward when investing in films.

That is likely to apply to Bond as well, if they remain the studio distributor. That suggests a lower budget for the next entry, and if I were a betting man, also leans towards a shakeup and a newer, cheaper actor. Again, on the assumption that they remain the distributor.

That's how it should be. The first smart decision they can make on the way to 'Bond 25' is seriously decreasing the budget for these movies.
    Sounds a bit complicated. I miss the days of United Artists releasing the Bonds. Very cool logos as well to precede the gun barrel.
    If Sony does stay on maybe we'd get a stripped down FYEO for Craig's 5th outing? I really do wonder who is going to distribute Bond 25.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    EoN like my ex does better on a budget. CR and SF were both reduced budgets. Oh and so was GE

Only time I think they didn't was with TMWTGG and TLD and LTD.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883

That's how it should be. The first smart decision they can make on the way to 'Bond 25' is seriously decreasing the budget for these movies.
    Agreed.

I've felt for a while that this was the direction they would go in, and I believe it more now. I think we might be in for another GE of sorts (low relative budget but geared for maximum impact), but unfortunately, I think it will be some time coming.

It's also important to keep in mind that Bab's main contact & supporter at Sony (Pascal) is gone. Who knows what kind of relationships she has with the people there now.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I like what I'm hearing. Sounds like we'll be getting something really special if they're stripping away the layers again. Honestly, a 100 million dollar, or even less, is perfect for Bond. Not every film has to be epic in scope, not unless they're compensating for a poor script with impressive visuals.

As someone who holds Dr No as far and away the greatest cinematic Bond adventure, I dig this big time!

I agree with @bondjames, if EON is sticking with Sony, it looks like they're preparing for another shake up. Suddenly an actor like Turner makes complete sense, if they're focused on simple missions like the late 90's.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Did you even read it?
    Usually I like a bit on analysis on the part of the OP. Not snide remarks.

I don't even think I have a problem with the budget itself - it's the way the money is allocated that I took issues with. If you're sinking $250 million+ into a movie and SP is the final product, then yes, you need to dial things way back. The film doesn't look like it cost anywhere near that to shoot.
  • The story from SPECTRE obviously needs to be continued so she's trying put together the greatest bond script ever for Daniel to return.

I disagree, respectfully. Bond has run off with a woman at the end of most of his adventures -- even ones with whom he has had a seemingly special connection or felt protective over. Each time, the next film would begin with all back to normal without having to explain what happened to the previous woman. Blofeld has escaped or survived before too.

Let's just move on. They can use Blofeld again in the future but don't necessarily need to use that character now. Waltz had his stab at the role and it was disappointing. That wasn't the first time a script wasted away good casting. (I remind you of Christoper Walken in AVTAK.)
    writer5150 wrote: »
    The story from SPECTRE obviously needs to be continued so she's trying put together the greatest bond script ever for Daniel to return.

I disagree, respectfully. Bond has run off with a woman at the end of most of his adventures -- even ones with whom he has had a seemingly special connection or felt protective over. Each time, the next film would begin with all back to normal without having to explain what happened to the previous woman. Blofeld has escaped or survived before too.

Let's just move on. They can use Blofeld again in the future but don't necessarily need to use that character now. Waltz had his stab at the role and it was disappointing. That wasn't the first time a script wasted away good casting. (I remind you of Christoper Walken in AVTAK.)
    I just think it will be hard to follow up Craig the way they left it.

doubleoego wrote: »
    Did you even read it?
    Usually I like a bit on analysis on the part of the OP. Not snide remarks.

It wasn't a snide remark. It was a genuine question. There was quite a bit to read and what it stated was pretty clear; and the article highlighted and reinforced what many of us have been complaining about for too long.
  • Translation for the layman, re: Sony.

Sony has determined the film business is worth almost $1 billion less than the value it had on Sony's financial books.

It's an accounting change. But the accounting change was necessary because the film business isn't doing very well.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2017 Posts: 5,979
    I like what I'm hearing. Sounds like we'll be getting something really special if they're stripping away the layers again. Honestly, a 100 million dollar, or even less, is perfect for Bond. Not every film has to be epic in scope, not unless they're compensating for a poor script with impressive visuals.

As someone who holds Dr No as far and away the greatest cinematic Bond adventure, I dig this big time!

I agree with @bondjames, if EON is sticking with Sony, it looks like they're preparing for another shake up. Suddenly an actor like Turner makes complete sense, if they're focused on simple missions like the late 90's.

The problem is that Craig and the likely returning cast are expensive. Also expensive are hoped-for locations like Japan (can you imagine the security cost? It would be like 1966 all over again). They already cut Scandinavia from SP.

The smartest thing they could do is cut back the expensive cast (Harris' price surely went up with the Oscar nom) or at least reduce them to cameos. Waltz isn't cheap either, but I think they need him in some capacity.

CR didn't have all the supporting characters at MI6 every five minutes, and it did just fine.