The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    At 6ft plus you must be unusually tall for one of your kind it must restrict the number of bridges that you can fit under !.
    Poor Daniel Craig...this isn't an appreciation thread at the moment !!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Sadly the doom merchants like the sound of their own keyboards too much to let things go.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Sadly the doom merchants like the sound of their own keyboards too much to let things go.
    How true Nackers,how true ....

An insult and praise in the same post? Well, I've never seen that before.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SharkBait wrote: »

I believe it's classed as a backhanded compliment.
  • Mrcoggins wrote: »
    At 6ft plus you must be unusually tall for one of your kind it must restrict the number of bridges that you can fit under !.

hahahahahaha that was so funny, you could be a comedian, not today but eventually lol!
  • SharkBait wrote: »

Just a question, are you active on this site 24/7?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SharkBait wrote: »

Just a question, are you active on this site 24/7?

Considering that humans need sleep, no, obviously. I hope you're not here 24/7 either.
    Is this a lead role or support?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Nobody knows. But shooting began two months ago, so my guess is that DC has more of a supporting role.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It could be controversial, given racial tensions. I read some negatives on Craig's character last year. They'll have to play this one carefully, if he is still 'Bond'.

http://www.essence.com/2016/07/06/twitter-isnt-feeling-halle-berry-and-daniel-craig-movie-la-riots
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The only negative thing about Craig's character they see is because of his ethnic status that labels him as "white saviour", which nettles the black community apparently. That's the only thing bugging them.
    The only negative thing about Craig's character they see is because of his ethnic status that labels him as "white saviour", which nettles the black community apparently. That's the only thing bugging them.
    Exactly. EON is usually sensitive about its incumbent Bond, so I hope this one plays out without controversy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    Exactly. EON is usually sensitive about its incumbent Bond, so I hope this one plays out without controversy.
    Hopefully. Or it will be the end of Craig's reign as 007, as EON does avoid political controversies as much as they could.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

He said at the New Yorker talk that he didn't have a large part, but this characterr description from Just Jared perhaps suggests otherwise.

"The Oscar-winning actress plays a woman who is secretly in love with Daniel‘s character Ollie, one of the only white residents in South Central Los Angeles in the early 1990s.

Ollie befriends Halle‘s character, who is a foster mother, and they work together to track down the kids during the violence of the L.A. riots."

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Red_Snow wrote: »

He said at the New Yorker talk that he didn't have a large part, but this characterr description from Just Jared perhaps suggests otherwise.

"The Oscar-winning actress plays a woman who is secretly in love with Daniel‘s character Ollie, one of the only white residents in South Central Los Angeles in the early 1990s.

Ollie befriends Halle‘s character, who is a foster mother, and they work together to track down the kids during the violence of the L.A. riots."

This sounds like a great movie...for insomniacs.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hopefully. Or it will be the end of Craig's reign as 007, as EON does avoid political controversies as much as they could.

No need to over-react, folks. Even if people know Dan's in the movie, which I can see going under the radar, it's no big deal.

We may have to listen to a few jackasses calling us whiteys out for the "privilege" we were born with (apologies for genetic probabilities) and that we don't appreciate (?), but it'll pass. As always, Dan won't give a damn, and that's why he's worth keeping.
    It seems that a central theme of the film is racial harmony at a time of racial unrest. That doesn't seem like a bad thing to me at all.
    TripAces wrote: »
    It seems that a central theme of the film is racial harmony at a time of racial unrest. That doesn't seem like a bad thing to me at all.

But I assume that the movie's depiction of white people and black people working together will inevitably cause outrage because internet imbeciles will complain that the white people were the "saviors" of the film and that the black people needed them to get through it.

This day in age, people will find anything to complain about, just to do it. Watch and see...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the first thought I had after hearing about Craig's role was exactly that: the inevitable outrage because it involves whitey saving the day.
    That is exactly where the outrage is coming from. Such comments are in the 'Essence' link I posted above.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You'll find that kind of blind outrage for any film these days. People just want something to complain about until it's no longer relevant, then they move on to the next thing.
    @bondjames, @Creasy47 I now endeavor to just laugh it off, because if I didn't, I would go insane. Every day it seems like I read something about some movie, game, show or book that some idiot has exploited to use as their chance to complain about how the world doesn't speak for them. PC culture comes from a good place, as we should all be accepting of each other, but there comes a point where people grow so sensitive that they want everyone and everything in the world to be a "safe space" for them. This impossible expectation then makes people unable to accept criticism, deal with rejection and adapt to change, as they have bought to heavily into the idea of these "safe spaces." The truth of it is that we'll always have hate, racism, death, destruction. We need to accept that, but also understand that rallying against those things when we need to gives us a greater, more cohesive strength to see all those negatives through. As with everything, whether it's a war on drugs or a war on hate, we must realize that we can't fight it to death completely, but we can limit its impact in a way that makes the world better, even if it cant' ever be put away.

In between this, it'd be great if we could get back to joking about ourselves and others again without some random person saying, "I'm offended, I'm offended!" People take certain things far, far too seriously now, and block out other more important things that deserve earnest consideration. Instead of acting outraged at the massive drug wars the world faces, the health crises that cripple nations or the human trafficking that makes big profit worldwide, these folks decide to get all upset over a freaking movie or a random joke from a comedian, the most trivial things imaginable.

Such is our world, attacking the pointless while being blind to what's truly important...
    Well said @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I agree.
    Cute
    C3paFEXWYAAGyU6.jpg
    I don't think so. The glamour of being a film star eh?
    @bondjames, @Creasy47 I now endeavor to just laugh it off, because if I didn't, I would go insane. Every day it seems like I read something about some movie, game, show or book that some idiot has exploited to use as their chance to complain about how the world doesn't speak for them. PC culture comes from a good place, as we should all be accepting of each other, but there comes a point where people grow so sensitive that they want everyone and everything in the world to be a "safe space" for them. This impossible expectation then makes people unable to accept criticism, deal with rejection and adapt to change, as they have bought to heavily into the idea of these "safe spaces." The truth of it is that we'll always have hate, racism, death, destruction. We need to accept that, but also understand that rallying against those things when we need to gives us a greater, more cohesive strength to see all those negatives through. As with everything, whether it's a war on drugs or a war on hate, we must realize that we can't fight it to death completely, but we can limit its impact in a way that makes the world better, even if it cant' ever be put away.

In between this, it'd be great if we could get back to joking about ourselves and others again without some random person saying, "I'm offended, I'm offended!" People take certain things far, far too seriously now, and block out other more important things that deserve earnest consideration. Instead of acting outraged at the massive drug wars the world faces, the health crises that cripple nations or the human trafficking that makes big profit worldwide, these folks decide to get all upset over a freaking movie or a random joke from a comedian, the most trivial things imaginable.

Such is our world, attacking the pointless while being blind to what's truly important...

An Aussie writer saw this over twenty years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Culture-Complaint-Fraying-Robert-Hughes/dp/0446670340