The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ggl007 wrote: »

Esto es Noruega en una cascara de nuez. Consigo un raya cabreado que debe ir en su culo antes de que despertemos.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ggl007 wrote: »

Esto es Noruega en una cascara de nuez. Consigo un raya cabreado que debe ir en su culo antes de que despertemos.
    Eeee... Google Translation?
    ;) :-??
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Its a web translation of the headline, and I do know how silly they always are.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Its a web translation of the headline, and I do know how silly they always are.
    Thanks for that but it has absolutely no sense in Spanish. I've read the English translation in the other thread and, well, it's not perfect but I get the point
    ;)

• edited December 2016 Posts: 6,601
    An excellent review from Ben Brantley of the New York Times

Review: Jealousy and Lies in a No-Exit Theater of War in ‘Othello’

A snippet from the review:

Character truly is fate in this breathless interpretation of Shakespeare’s taut portrait of lives razed by jealousy, in which Mr. Oyelowo and Mr. Craig, best known as movie stars, enter the ranks of first-rate classical stage actors. I’ve never seen an “Othello” as convincingly inexorable as this one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/theater/review-othello-david-oyelowo-daniel-craig.html?_r=0

A 5-star review from the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/othello-new-york-theatre-workshop-review-daniel-craig-chills/

A 4/5 star review from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/dec/12/othello-review-daniel-craig-david-oyelowo-new-york

A 4/5 star review from TimeOut NY
    https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/theater-review-daniel-craig-battles-david-oyelowo-in-a-modern-war-othello-121216

A good review from Variety
    http://variety.com/2016/legit/reviews/othello-review-daniel-craig-david-oyelowo-1201939890/

A great review from the Hollywood Reporter
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/othello-review-955418

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Damn, I wish I could see this sucker...
    Thanks Brady - at least someone is interested.
    Yes, if only I lived in New York ...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think it'd be a real treat to see Dan in this kind of role off a set, and see how his acting adapts accordingly in front of a theater audience. Every performance he gives I never hear anything bad about, and it'd be an anomaly if the majority weren't absolutely glowing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I went to New York in April. At the time I booked tickets for a show and was a bit miffed that Othello hadn't arrived. Still Fiddler On The Roof was very good.

:D
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DC's return to Bond isn't because he's tired of the role. It'll be because the role, as he wants and needs to play it, is tiring him out. There's a difference. DC could do another 4-5 films, but he would start to need stunt doubles on everything, a la RM in AVTAK, and DC won't have any of that.
    All of which creates the kind of climate and ethos in which Daniel Craig’s beefy, bluff Iago makes terrifying sense. And this is the next revelation, that the guy we know as James Bond should be the most appropriately sickening Iago; the horror and charm of Craig’s performance is vast and the overriding response is awe.

Craig plays him as a bloke’s bloke, chin in the air, with a loud and hearty voice inflected with those Northern England vowels that seem synonymous with “plain-speaking.” Slightly bandy legged, often dropping to a conspiratorial crouch to affably (it seems) goad someone, he’s a vigorously physical presence, exuding testosterone and taking up space. You’re either with him or you’re a pussy. You can imagine men saying of him, “good bloke that, decent”—which they do, essentially, in the form of “honest,” an epithet that accretes painful irony over the three hours. Yet even as Craig is soliloquizing and setting out his deplorable deceits and intents, we’re rapt, wanting more.

The play’s last revelation was hardest to bear: that the realest and most terrible thing I’d see on stage this year would be Daniel Craig crying—no longer a man’s man, but a boy—cowed and shamed and making his way toward those bodies with an outstretched hand.

http://4columns.org/hoby-hermione/othello
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Germanlady, thanks for posting. It continues to make me very envious, especially when I Iook at the photos you have found-- the theatre is a very intimate space. It must be electrifying.

I'm not surprised with the reviews DC's receiving, and, getting back to Bond, the consistent observation of Craig's intense, masculine, testosterone-laden performance, is why he, even in "semi-retirement" from the 007 role, still blows the competition out of the water. There is no one mentioned, thus far, who screams these qualities...

Knowing that his Iago turned from a man to a boy is no surprise either. DC is incredibly talented, and, once again, drawing a parallel to 007, I always thought some of his charm in the role (apart from being a force of nature), was that there was a side of him that never actually did grow up. He has a boyish quality about him, a little boy that is constantly striving for acceptance, whether it be from M or Mathis; his drive not to lose feels like the boy on the football pitch, willing his team not to lose.

Anyways, thank you for posting @germanlady, and Merry Christmas,

p
    Thanks Peter, the same for you.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Roles and roles emphasized on these qualities suit him best - the mixture of pure force (CR, QoS) and vulnerability (SF) is what best defines his Bond. The womanizer aspect of 007 as seen in SP is not my favourite for Craig. The way it was done in CR (Solange), QoS (Fields) or SF (Severine) was better in tone, imho.

Anyway, I really appreciate the aspects Craig brought to the role of 007 and his qualities seem to show in the play as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @seancraig I love Craig with Bellucci, the two of them were charged and very electric... Not so much with Lea, although I liked their work in L'American, their getting together was too fast, too soon (and unnecessary after the Hinx fight; it's like the writers/director honestly did feel, after that fight, well...? What now? It was lazy).

Madeline and Bond didn't have to sleep with each other on the train, but their warmth could have continued to grow, right to the very end, when he "gives it a go" with her, taking off in the Aston Martin.

In the end, though, I can watch Craig in any scene, any time, anywhere. Just love him as Bond, and as a very talented actor.
    The Bond/Lucia moment is extremely charged and shockingly passionate. Watching it in the theater I almost wanted to look away, because it was like looking in on the private moment of two lovers. I love it when Bond calls Marco an idiot for not pleasuring her, a total 007 move.

The moment with Bond and Madeleine on the train I think was all biology, programming and all. They had just survived a crazy near-death scenario thanks to each other, and to celebrate their survival they chose to enjoy on another in that way. I think it was a natural reaction, a toast to still being alive and enjoying their time in a quiet moment.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The Bond/Lucia moment is extremely charged and shockingly passionate. Watching it in the theater I almost wanted to look away, because it was like looking in on the private moment of two lovers. I love it when Bond calls Marco an idiot for not pleasuring her, a total 007 move.

The moment with Bond and Madeleine on the train I think was all biology, programming and all. They had just survived a crazy near-death scenario thanks to each other, and to celebrate their survival they chose to enjoy on another in that way. I think it was a natural reaction, a toast to still being alive and enjoying their time in a quiet moment.

+1

Well said Brady,i agree on both counts.....exactly how i feel about those scenes.

Also i like the clever touch of Bond letting Lucia know that he has contacted Felix to get her away to the US embassy,rather than having her become yet another 'femme fatal' ,which i thought she was going to be when i saw it for the first time.

barryt007 wrote: »

Well said Brady,i agree on both counts.....exactly how i feel about those scenes.

Also i like the clever touch of Bond letting Lucia know that he has contacted Felix to get her away to the US embassy,rather than having her become yet another 'femme fatal' ,which i thought she was going to be when i saw it for the first time.

@barryt007, it was a smart way to have Felix still feel relevant in the canon, and it's great to know he's alive and well in the agency and that he and Bond stay in contact. Hopefully we see him again soon in some way, though I respect that EON only want to use him when they know it makes sense for the plot. The producers didn't act that way in the 60s, and so you had Felix in the movie doing jack all every time, being a glorified assistant to Bond and little else to help the mission along.

It's also great to see Lucia make it out. It's criminal that, like Berenice before her, Monica was so underfeatured in the film, but I've made peace with it at this point. It's just a shame that after all the fan wish-lists for future Bond girls that Monica always made, she finally gets her shot and is out of there in under five minutes. It doesn't feel just.
    exactly....SP had some moments that did work and Craig played it brilliantly well......very Bondian.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In regard to the possibility of Craig returning as Bond, Would you still want him back if he does it primarily for the money. Would there be a risk of a "bored" performance or would his professionalism prevent that?
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Im not sure Craig is like that..he is very choosy over every role he takes and every script he reads,unlike Connery at the time,where money came first often.
    I also don't think he would want to damage his tenure as Bond by putting in a bored performance,he does care about the role.

If he came back for the money I would be disappointed,worried and surprised.
    But if Dan comes back,it will be for the love of the role of Bond and that he feels he can give his best to it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If Craig is invested in the story, he will undoubtedly give the performance his all. He's not the type of actor who would just be in it for the money, especially given the close relationship he has developed with Broccoli and Wilson over the course of 10 years.
    Exactly...its not Craig's style...he has enough money already.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    In regard to the possibility of Craig returning as Bond, Would you still want him back if he does it primarily for the money. Would there be a risk of a "bored" performance or would his professionalism prevent that?

In a hypothetical situation where Craig was returning solely for the money, then no, I wouldn't want that to happen. That goes for any actor: if they plan on doing it just for the money without investing any time or effort into the character, then it'll be painfully obvious on screen and will take me out of the experience.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Exactly...its not Craig's style...he has enough money already.

This is debatable Enough zeros can be very tempting no matter how much one already has.

It wouldn't be his style. If he didn't want the role anymore he'd tell them all to stuff it. But he'd do so using many more expletives, as only he can.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It wouldn't be his style. If he didn't want the role anymore he'd tell them all to stuff it. But he'd do so using many more expletives, as only he can.

Indeed, I think "stuff it" would be the nice, professional way of Craig telling them; surely it'd be filled to the brim with a few dozen more expletives (and a nasty comment or two that'll surely be taken way out of context and quoted endlessly across the Internet).