The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Here's to Fincher doing Part 2 and 3 of The Millennium Trilogy. I think both Craig and Mara wouldn't want to do it with anyone else although if he did leave they'd still participate, it would just give us some consistency.

I'll be interested to see what they mean by striking out on their own with it, TGWSF and TGWKTHN are conspiracy thrillers and not murder mysteries so I'll be intrigued to see what Fincher and Zallian will do with this, the closest he's come to this would be The Game, an underrated film from the man and soon to get the Criterion treatment.

More of a fast paced thriller, plus in the book Blomvist & Salander are hardly together in Fire and rarely in Hornets Nest so I wonder if they'll change it to have them more together throughout. As long as it's not contrived to allow this.

One of the elements that made Fincher's film stand out from the Swedish one was the relationship between Mikhael & Lisbeth, Craig and Mara really clicked, great chemistry and this was by far the best thing about the film for me, Fincher said he wasn't so bothered with the murder mystery more the relationship between the 2, so their approach will be intriguing for the sequels, I liked Zallian's changes for Tattoo so I feel we are in safe hands.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Sandy wrote:
    I'm happy Fincher appears to be working on the sequels :-bd He understood the characters, that is something very important.
    I do hope the films are not released around Christmas. I know many people who didn't watch such a film in this season. The fact that some people kept saying it was a remake and not an adaptation of the book didn't help either. The film was one of the best (if not the best) I saw last year. I followed the whole production, with that amazing blog and the treasure hunt, and I'm looking forward to see the wheels turning again.

Sandy, where did you follow this? What website? I'd be really interested to check it out.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    You're lucky @4EverBonded. They are still online.
    This was the blog: http://mouth-taped-shut.com/ Nobody knew in the beginning this was relate to the production. If you click on the first posts you'll see what I mean. And of course there were no links to other pages at the beginning either, just a twitter account. The clue to find this blog came, if I remember it correctly, from a post in Trent Reznor's blog (composer, NIN member). Then people (born with eagle eyes, I'm sure) managed to find the other two addresses hidden inside photos posted in the blog. For example in this post http://mouth-taped-shut.com/post/11276384488 someone could find written in Trent Reznor's compute an URL.
    This was the website with random sound + random images and a screen that freezes and thaws (be sure to have your sound ON): http://comesforthinthethaw.com/ then click the words. It became an obsession for me at the time, every now and then you hear creepy things. It sounds like repetition but it isn't, it's completely addictive. Part of my PhD thesis was written while listening to it.
    This is part of the treasure hunt: http://whatishiddeninsnow.com/ Most of the times there was a hidden code inside a photo or video from the blog. The answer was a word that was then added to the end of this URL. A timer would show up indicating the time available to find the prop (including the flowers, Salander's ID, a copy of Millenium magazine, etc): Solving the clues was crazy, the comments were people trying to figure out what it was. The places where the props were found are still available with every image (click on the razor).
    Have fun ;)
    Sandy, that is awesome! =D> Thanks so very much! I will check it out thoroughly this weekend.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2015 Posts: 4,438
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/35923/-dragon-tattoo-sequel-won-t-happen
    "Dragon Tattoo" Sequel Won't Happen?

By Garth Franklin Tuesday February 24th 2015 08:47AM
    "Dragon Tattoo" Sequel Won't Happen?

It was a best-selling phenomenon. It spawned a trilogy of hit Swedish movies which turned Noomi Rapace into a global star. It also generated an American adaptation helmed by David Fincher that scored good notices and a decent $232 million worldwide.

Yet with a budget of $90 million, Fincher's R-rated English language adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-seller "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" wasn't a runaway hit. As a result, progress on the sequel has stumbled since the first film's release over three years ago.

Sadly it now appears the project may well be dead. Rooney Mara, who took on the iconic role of Lisbeth Salander in the first movie, has indicated in an interview with E! Online that the second novel in the series "The Girl Who Played with Fire" isn't likely to get a U.S. screen treatment:

"I don't think it's going to happen. I'm sad never to do it again, but it just doesn't seem like it's in the cards."

The comments follow on from some more optimistic ones by filmmaker David Fincher back in September who said that due to Sony Pictures having already invested in the franchise so much, it's unlikely they'll just let it drift off:

"I think because (Sony) already has spent millions of dollars on the rights and the script, it will result in something. The script that we now have has huge potential. I can reveal that it is extremely different from the book."

That likely leaves Daniel Alfredson's 2009 movie/mini-series adaptation as the only screen version of the best-seller that we'll likely get to see.

There are remours that Daniel Craig and Fincher ask to much money. Mabey Universal should take over, with there experience of 50 Shades of Gray. Whyle it look like that movie mabey also not get a sequel. With this kind of movie making you should let people sign contract for all movies, release it with 1-2 years of difrence. There can have fixed it, if there start atleast last year and releasing part 2 in 2016 and part 3 in 2017. Daniel Craig should not complane to much and do it and if movie deliever enough he stil can get enough, if needed Sony can pay him more money from Spectre.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,438
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dragon-Tattoo-Sequel-May-Have-Found-Lisbeth-Salander-92577.html
    Dragon Tattoo Sequel May Have Found A New Lisbeth Salander

While her star has risen to great heights during the past couple of months, Alicia Vikander could use something most actors chase their whole careers: a franchise where they get to be front and center. She just might get her wish, as she's taken the lead in the race to replace Rooney Mara in Sony's upcoming adaptation of The Girl Who Played With Fire.

According to a recent report, Sony is anxious to get the Millenium franchise back on track with a lower budgeted follow up to David Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. While the initial film didn't exactly set the box office on fire, the property is still a hot commodity in Hollywood – especially with The Girl In The Spider's Web extending the franchise's lifespan past the original trilogy authored by late writer Stieg Larsson. With her career still blooming, and her pay scale still within their tastes, The Wrap has named Vikander as an apparent favorite among franchise producers Scott Rudin and Amy Pascal.

Mabey Stellan Skarsgård should take over part from Daniel Craig. He speaks English, is Swedish and looks like on Michael Nyqvist who play part in original Swedish version.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    M_Balje wrote: »
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dragon-Tattoo-Sequel-May-Have-Found-Lisbeth-Salander-92577.html
    Dragon Tattoo Sequel May Have Found A New Lisbeth Salander

While her star has risen to great heights during the past couple of months, Alicia Vikander could use something most actors chase their whole careers: a franchise where they get to be front and center. She just might get her wish, as she's taken the lead in the race to replace Rooney Mara in Sony's upcoming adaptation of The Girl Who Played With Fire.

According to a recent report, Sony is anxious to get the Millenium franchise back on track with a lower budgeted follow up to David Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. While the initial film didn't exactly set the box office on fire, the property is still a hot commodity in Hollywood – especially with The Girl In The Spider's Web extending the franchise's lifespan past the original trilogy authored by late writer Stieg Larsson. With her career still blooming, and her pay scale still within their tastes, The Wrap has named Vikander as an apparent favorite among franchise producers Scott Rudin and Amy Pascal.

These two jackasses should be sacked with cause (especially after their comments were broadcast around the world in Dec 2014). Idiots, especially Rudin. The fact that he is still employed reflects poorly on Sony Corporation.

Replacing Mara & Craig is the most idiotic decision I've heard all year.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    A lower budget version is pointless. It's already been done!!! Replacing Mara & Craig is the most idiotic decision I've heard all year too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2015 Posts: 15,690
    How is it when an unknown stars in one hit film, he/she get cast in everything? Vikander is rumoured to be in Dragon Tattoo sequel, she's in the next Bourne...
  • meredith44meredith44 the great unknown
    Shardlake wrote: »
    One of the elements that made Fincher's film stand out from the Swedish one was the relationship between Mikhael & Lisbeth, Craig and Mara really clicked, great chemistry and this was by far the best thing about the film for me, Fincher said he wasn't so bothered with the murder mystery more the relationship between the 2, so their approach will be intriguing for the sequels, I liked Zallian's changes for Tattoo so I feel we are in safe hands.

Exactly what I thought! I am disappointed by the prospective recast...

As I said earlier, the most asinine decision I've heard this year.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondjames wrote: »
    As I said earlier, the most asinine decision I've heard this year.

Yes. I like Alicia Vikander, nothing personal against her. But then who plays Mikael? With a shrug, I throw out: Matthew Rhys? Daniel Bruhl? Viggo Mortensen?

edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    TripAces wrote: »
    But then who plays Mikael? With a shrug, I throw out: Matthew Rhys? Daniel Bruhl? Viggo Mortensen?
    The last two choices are intriguing and I'm sure they can deliver.

This is a prime example of studio nutters not having faith in their product. This franchise could become a cult classic. There are enough fans who are deeply fanatical about it (count me among them) but the pencil pushing fools over there don't seem to realize it, have been dithering with this, and crying that the first one wasn't profitable enough (they should realize that this kind of thing has a tendency to happen when you release a film at Christmas with a graphic rape scene and no A-lister). This should't all be about money.

If they can bring the sequel in on budget with Craig/Mara, they should. If Craig is asking for too much money however for this to be done profitably, then they should sack him. I realize that they have to make a profit, and so all parties should cut their asking fees and do this for the fans. That's my view. Fincher would be great, but I'm sure they can get another director who can do it for cheaper if he's too pricey (perhaps someone Swedish).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sadly I don't see Dan doing it; not sure about Rooney yet. Dan doesn't have anything on schedule past SP besides possible theater work from what I've heard, so who knows what the future of the series is. Maybe it's best just to leave it as is, as depressing as that would be.
    From what he said, he is looking for work, meaning for the right project to come along. I am sure, he would want to do a film before the theater or at least, that what he sounded to me like.

I don't know, why they think, other actors would be more profitable, because MB won't (I don't think) have a more popular actor in the next and they should realise, that more often then not, a film, who didn't succeed on all levels rarely has to do with the actors involved. Otherwise those, who make it big in some franchise and whatnot fail with own projects (even RDJ). So, its telling, they just have to think over their PR and release it on a better spot and not make it way too expensive.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Rooney Mara is still under the impression that she'll be playing Lisbeth Salander again:

http://deadline.com/2016/02/rooney-mara-carol-pan-gender-gap-pay-interview-lisbeth-salander-1201706837/
    I certainly hope it's Mara and Craig again although it's so unlikely. I have to watch that film again. Brilliant stuff imho.
    They want to lower the budget and Craig wants more money, so I don't see him returning, unfortunately, nor Fincher. If anyone does, it'll be Mara.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I certainly hope it's Mara and Craig again although it's so unlikely. I have to watch that film again. Brilliant stuff imho.
    Rewatching it now. Great film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    With Dan involved in other projects, I don't see this lifting off the ground. At this point, I don't know why Sony would even bother. The time for a sequel has passed, and most of the original team can't or won't come back anyway. It's sad how it worked out, because I love TGWTDT and would like nothing more than to see it continued. It was a brilliant and underrated addition to Fincher's set of unmatched mystery films.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,554
    jake24 wrote: »
    Rewatching it now. Great film.

Indeed. Though Mara's performance garnered praise (and rightfully so), the film as a whole was under-appreciated. DC was excellent. And the Reznor/Ross soundtrack was brilliant.
    Just watched this for the first time in about 2 years and its truly brilliant. Its moved straight into my top 5. I'd go as far as to say that right now I'd prefer Daniel Craig to make the sequels than do Bond 25 but I don't see that happening.I'll have to make do with the original Swedish versions for now, which are still damn good.
    Damn! When I saw this thread was bumped, I thought for sure there was some news regarding the sequel. Shame. Glad you liked it a lot, though, @yogi1.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I don't know which Fincher detective film I prefer - Seven, Zodiac, Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl are just impossible to rank, such awesome films.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    yogi1 wrote: »
    I'd go as far as to say that right now I'd prefer Daniel Craig to make the sequels than do Bond 25 but I don't see that happening.

I'm kinda ashamed to admit it but I would prefer that too at the moment, only because I don't like the direction that EON took Craig's Bond.

I want sequels really because I enjoyed the books so much.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,554
    I don't know which Fincher detective film I prefer - Seven, Zodiac, Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl are just impossible to rank, such awesome films.

Interestingly, Seven is the only one that comes from an original screenplay. (This is not meant to knock the other films at all.)
    yogi1 wrote: »
    Just watched this for the first time in about 2 years and its truly brilliant. Its moved straight into my top 5. I'd go as far as to say that right now I'd prefer Daniel Craig to make the sequels than do Bond 25 but I don't see that happening.I'll have to make do with the original Swedish versions for now, which are still damn good.

Craig is a revelation in it. I forgot all about Bond in the first few minutes, when he strolls into a cafe, after losing in court, and orders "that sandwich there. And a black coffee." We see a man trying hard to keep his S#!t together.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Se7en is the ultimate serial killer detective thriller, a superb film.

Zodiac is a completely different type of film and for me Fincher's masterpiece, more like All The Presidents Men, a meticulously assembled work of a true brilliance littered with fantastic performances.

Nothing against Tattoo and Gone Girl but they aren't really in the same class as the above.
    Tattoo might be a fairly decent movie but as a fan I have always rated the Swedish tv series much higher.
    The great thing about Zodiac is that in every scene where the killer is featured, Fincher hired a different actor of varying heights, weights and other physical descriptors to play the role, such that at least 6 different actors all play the same person before the film ends. I love that idea as it really reinforces the fear and paranoia people in San Fran had in the 60s and 70s, being that the Zodiac could be anyone. It also aids in keeping the mystery present throughout, always causing you to wonder if the cops were looking at the right people or not.