The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's a murder mystery thriller at it's core but much more than that due to the characters in the film and how they interact with each other.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would consider it as a drama/thriller, with heavily sexual tones, a dark, deep soundtrack, and really intriguing characters. If it wasn't out of theaters where I live, I would see it for a third time.
    So what would this movie be classified as, action, thriller, drama, etc? The previews make it look like a type of action film but a friend of mine said it's just a bunch of talking from beginning to end. I'm just trying to get a feel for this film before I see it.

Perhaps you should read the book...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, read the books! I think the next two are better than the first, actually.
    The film is well paced. Thus the length of the film is not an issue IMO. It's a well done dark-edged mystery thriller. Craig's scenes with the tabby cat are quite entertaining. The opening titles are very Bond-like. Trent Reznor does a nice job with the heavy Led Zep remix.
    Rooney Mara does naked with way more enthusiasm than Noomi Rapace. Craig does a butt-crack scene, just like in his new SF pool scene. He's clearly in a butt-crack phase of his career.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Hopefully Fincher will get to do the other two novels... And there are already lots of speculations going on, who will be cast in both of them.
    If they go for continuity as a franchise, Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara (!!!) should retake their roles. Robin Wright should also return as Erica Berger, as should do Goran Visnjic as Armanskij and Yorick van Wageningen as Bjurman. There are some more important new characters demanding careful casting. The parts are that of Andrej Zalahshenko, Chief Inspector Jan Bublanski, the fomrer boxing champion Paulo Roberto,a nd the very Bondeqsue henchman named Ronlad Niedermann. Among others, Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman are rumooured for the role of Zalashenko, some mention Rade Serbejidja. Don't have any favourites in that, but maybe Ralph Fiennes might be a good choice (i.e. if he is not fed up to play the umpteenth villain after HP and SF). For Bublanski I could imagine Giancarlo Giannini, he would really fit the part. Niedermann is a very difficult part, rather OTT, kind of mixture of Stamper and Jaws, but not in the funny Jaws way. He should be tall, blond and physically strong. Have to stop here not to spill the beans for the people who have not read the two other books. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Hopefully Fincher will get to do the other two novels... And there are already lots of speculations going on, who will be cast in both of them.
    If they go for continuity as a franchise, Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara (!!!) should retake their roles. Robin Wright should also return as Erica Berger, as should do Goran Visnjic as Armanskij and Yorick van Wageningen as Bjurman.

All the actors are contracted for the next two films, which if Fincher returns, will be shot back to back. Either way, filming begins late this year or early next.

I too, am very intrigued as to who will be sort out to play the new roles.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,261
    Samuel001 wrote:
    If they go for continuity as a franchise, Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara (!!!) should retake their roles. Robin Wright should also return as Erica Berger, as should do Goran Visnjic as Armanskij and Yorick van Wageningen as Bjurman.

All the actors are contracted for the next two films, which if Fincher returns, will be shot back to back. Either way, filming begins late this year or early next.

Looking forward to that. So we have something to wait for after SF and before Bond24...
    Samuel001 wrote:

Peter Stormare as Zalachenko, maybe? When I read the books, I pictured someone more like Steven Berkoff, but since he's a bit old and all ready cast as Frode, he's obviously not an option.

edited January 2012 Posts: 1,261
    Agent005 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Peter Stormare as Zalachenko, maybe? When I read the books, I pictured someone more like Steven Berkoff, but since he's a bit old and all ready cast as Frode, he's obviously not an option.

Or how about Peter Stormare as Ronald Niedermann? I did not think of him, but why not? Zalashenko is supposedly a bit older ...

You are right, Steven Berkoff would have been a perfect choice for Zalsehenko, but as he was cast as Frode (who does not reappear in the other books), he cannot be cast.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo will be released on blu-ray and DVD on March 20th, 2012:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8078
  • Is the only reason for watching this movie is because Mr Craig is in it?, what I mean is, suppose for arguments sake Craig was not in the picture whatsoever would people still go to see it, or have the same interest even. Just an innocent enough question without fear of any Backlash. I don't really mind too much Craig as Bond now but I solely concentrate on his acting resume with regards to 007 not necessarily what other work he does outside the series. I just feel I have no need to see this upcoming release, OK Craig is in it, but it wouldn't justify a viewing for me. Sorry
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    Congrats. Try the books(The Millenium trilogy). I am. :)
  • I wonder if they ever brought out a film called 'The rabid hedgehogs and alien shapeshifters take over Connecticut' and say Craig had a 30 second cameo in it would Bond enthusiasts still be eager to see it?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wonder if they ever brought out a film called 'The rabid hedgehogs and alien shapeshifters take over Connecticut' and say Craig had a 30 second cameo in it would Bond enthusiasts still be eager to see it?
    Craig is good sans Bond anyway. We like him more for his branching out and talent, not just because he plays Bond.
    Is the only reason for watching this movie is because Mr Craig is in it?, what I mean is, suppose for arguments sake Craig was not in the picture whatsoever would people still go to see it, or have the same interest even. Just an innocent enough question without fear of any Backlash. I don't really mind too much Craig as Bond now but I solely concentrate on his acting resume with regards to 007 not necessarily what other work he does outside the series. I just feel I have no need to see this upcoming release, OK Craig is in it, but it wouldn't justify a viewing for me. Sorry

To be honest, DC being in this film was just a bonus for me. The main draw was David Fincher as i'm almost as big a fan of his as I am Bond.

But I get what you're saying, DC will put a lot of butt's in seats just because he's James Bond, but I suppose that is one of the reasons he was cast.

Ps. You really should see this film. Though it was my first venture into the 'Millenium' universe as I haven't seen the sweedish version or read the book yet.
    Steven wrote:
    Is the only reason for watching this movie is because Mr Craig is in it?, what I mean is, suppose for arguments sake Craig was not in the picture whatsoever would people still go to see it, or have the same interest even. Just an innocent enough question without fear of any Backlash. I don't really mind too much Craig as Bond now but I solely concentrate on his acting resume with regards to 007 not necessarily what other work he does outside the series. I just feel I have no need to see this upcoming release, OK Craig is in it, but it wouldn't justify a viewing for me. Sorry

To be honest, DC being in this film was just a bonus for me. The main draw was David Fincher as i'm almost as big a fan of his as I am Bond.

But I get what you're saying, DC will put a lot of butt's in seats just because he's James Bond, but I suppose that is one of the reasons he was cast.

Ps. You really should see this film. Though it was my first venture into the 'Millenium' universe as I haven't seen the sweedish version or read the book yet.

Fully agree with that. I have read all three books and also watched the Swedish version. My main reason to go and watch them was first, that I liked the books, secondly Davd Fincher being the director, thirdly watching Rooney Mara as Lisbeth (Noomi Rapace did a great job in the Swedish version, but Rooney Mara is also awesome, she adds some differebt layers to her character whcih were not present in the Swedish movies), and then it was for Craig being in it, but I would have watched it anway. The movie also improves the book IMO, they cut some clumsy bits, made some changes, but this cuts and changes make the film highly watchable.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Saw it last Saturday and loved it! I was a fan of the books and pictured Mikael as Daniel Craig when I was reading them. I disliked the swedish version to be honest so when I heard that David Fincher was directing his own version and Craig had been cast as Bomkvist I was thrilled! They did not disapoint, great film and awsome adaptation of the book even though I would have prefered that they did not change a certain part of Harriet's story.
    I hope we get word if Fincher is returning or not soon. I'd hate to see him not finish what he started.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I hope we get word if Fincher is returning or not soon. I'd hate to see him not finish what he started.

I really hope he does return. But he never does sequals anymore after the whole Alien3 fiasco. Though I think he always gets final cut rights on all his movies nowdays.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Steven wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I really hope he does return. But he never does sequals anymore after the whole Alien3 fiasco. Though I think he always gets final cut rights on all his movies nowdays.

The hope here though is it's part two and three of a three film series and is based on a book. Maybe Fincher will think he can bring something to that.

I'd hate to have someone else, I really would. We should hear soon as filming is underway, this time next year.
  • I didn't really like the film, but craig played his part well.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    I saw the film about a week ago and I loved it. Craig and Mara were both excellent and together with Fincher they gave a unique atmosphere to the film.

I too hope Fincher will return for the other two. And they should film them back to back and release the third one not more than a year after the second.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I really love the film and in a way that's curious because I'm not so much into whodunits as a result of seeing too many of those in past decades. In this film too I saw a few things coming from a mile away. But it's the whole package that intrigued me.

But I'm a fan of David Fincher's work, so what could I possibly do? ;-)

Craig and Mara are both splendid. Mara in particular I never would have expected to bare all with seemingly so little trouble. Two years ago she was Nancy in the Nightmare On Elm Street remake by Platinum Dunes. That's how I got to know her. Loved seeing her a while later in The Social Network. Now this. I truly like this little lady.

Reznor for Bond music! :P

Oh man and the ending scene...
  • I've seen this movie last week. Amazing, I hope they make also the other the movies of the trilogy. I hope so that Daniel also plays Mikael in the other 2 movies.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Samuel001 wrote:

Great news! Really looking forward to it.
    Samuel001 wrote:

This is good news! Really enjoyed TGWTDT. So look forward to this once it is made? Just glad RM and DC are set to return. :-bd
    Hopefully they just learn not to release films of this kind (very dark and sadistic at times) at Christmastime!
  • Wasn't much for the first one so not sure I'll bother with the sequel.