Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Again this suit talk?

Craig looks fantastic in the tight fit suits of genius Tom Ford. Period. Full stop.
    Again this suit talk?

Craig looks fantastic in the tight fit suits of genius Tom Ford. Period. Full stop.

Agreed.

Agreed, too. Thankfully, this misses the entire point of the suit discussion: does he look good in the suits? Yes, I don't believe anyone is contesting that. However, are the suits way too tight for a secret agent involved in lots of physical activity? Yes, they are. That's the point I (and several others) have tried to make. His suits are simply unrealistically tight in SP.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Honestly, one of the things that gets me most excited while waiting for a new Bond film is seeing in trailers what kinds of suits and casual wear Bond will be showing off on screen. Dan's era really made this a special thing for me, because he pulls off anything they put him in and I think he's got a great sense of style.

I think I like the QoS suits the most. The best of both worlds for the fittings, and the color palettes are not expected, but have very earthy tones, like they were inspired by the periodic table of elements, almost to reflect Bond's put-on metallic, cold demeanor in some scenes (the blues, grays and blacks), or the dusty desert-like environments he finds himself in throughout (the browns). The colors are muted, not too strong, and really make Dan pop, especially his blue eyes. Great work by all involved. Just another reason to appreciate this film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Honestly, one of the things that gets me most excited while waiting for a new Bond film is seeing in trailers what kinds of suits and casual wear Bond will be showing off on screen. Dan's era really made this a special thing for me, because he pulls off anything they put him in and I think he's got a great sense of style.

I think I like the QoS suits the most. The best of both worlds for the fittings, and the color palettes are not expected, but have very earthy tones, like they were inspired by the periodic table of elements, almost to reflect Bond's put-on metallic, cold demeanor in some scenes (the blues, grays and blacks), or the dusty desert-like environments he finds himself in throughout (the browns). The colors are muted, not too strong, and really make Dan pop, especially his blue eyes. Great work by all involved. Just another reason to appreciate this film.

I'm not a 'suit guy' but in my ignorant opinion Bond's suits looked best to ME in TND & QOS.
    QoS does capture that FRWL feel of shifting perspectives. There are the bits with Dominic, the bits with M, the bits with Felix and the main focus on Bond. I do find the plot very intriguing. Its the first time we have Governments corruption as a plotpoint, and paired with the very modern concern of water supplies, the film stills feels current despite being nearly a decade old. The plot is no different than the space race plots of the sixties, just updated for modern day.
    The dialogue is a lot snappier than most Bond films. I'm reminded of TB in that regard. There are so many great little lines (not all from Bond) and moments peppered liberally throughout the (very slim) runtime that you're never left waiting for the next block of entertaining scenes.
    I'm somewhat nostalgic for QoS now. At the time I was highly disappointed, and I still feel this is film best viewed as a standalone rather than a part 2, but on balance we were still kind of on track here. It's not till 4 years later that EON had shrunk back into its shell. SF feels like a film from the mid 90's by comparison, when hacking was the next big thing. QoS holds up better, I think.

The action still sucks though.

Totally agree. SF was a massive step backward IMO, although I did quite enjoy SP. I am not sad to see the back of Mendes.
    Getafix wrote: »

Totally agree. SF was a massive step backward IMO, although I did quite enjoy SP. I am not sad to see the back of Mendes.
    He had his shots. Yeah, I'm with ya @Getafix.
    chrisisall wrote: »

He had his shots. Yeah, I'm with ya @Getafix.

Nice that EON is generally aiming higher with directors, cinematographers, composers etc but for me Mendes didn't really ever understand Bond. Obviously that sounds absurd given the commercial success and rave reviews for both his films (at least in the UK) but I felt SF missed the mark badly and SP was a good pastiche
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,691

Nice that EON is generally aiming higher with directors, cinematographers, composers etc but for me Mendes didn't really ever understand Bond. Obviously that sounds absurd given the commercial success and rave reviews for both his films (at least in the UK) but I felt SF missed the mark badly and SP was a good pastiche
    Again, we agree totally here.
    Ummm... how hard is it to PAY Campbell to do another-? Or Nolan?
    Hell, get Forster again!
    QoS has its faults but despite that I feel it was one of the freshest Bond movies for years.

I think it stands up well. A shame about some of the pointless action and unnecessary GF homage, but still a lot to like.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is a new timeline. I don t think of them as homages as much as alternative takes on something that happened in the original timeline.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Don't forget the TSWLM throwbacks (in the desert & in Austria) as well. Subtle & fleeting, but still noticeable to us die-hards. Nice touch.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I do think QOS was ahead of its time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Quantum Of Salad was ahead of its time on these forums, for sure. It was generally despised here when I joined.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    QoS keeps appreciating as time goes on. I tried to watch SP the other day and I really struggled with it. It's such a Meh movie that for me, offers nothing other than the odd good scene here and there but on the whole, its a massive let down.

QoS has its fair share of problems but it's a cracking Bond film that brings a freshness and a Flemingesque excitement that we havn't seen since then.
    @doubleoego, I think QoS was only harshly received in comparison to CR, and because it was so different from CR. The pace was torrid, and there was far less romance, which perhaps threw some (it did me). Generally speaking, it's excellent.

I too tried to watch SP yesterday, and couldn't get through it fully. Sad really.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @doubleoego, I think QoS was only harshly received in comparison to CR, and because it was so different from CR. The pace was torrid, and there was far less romance, which perhaps threw some (it did me). Generally speaking, it's excellent.

I too tried to watch SP yesterday, and couldn't get through it fully. Sad really.

I've had the same issue watching SP as well. Only been able to get through it the one time on Blu-ray, and that took some work.

QoS, on the other hand, is an easy watch. One of the best films in the franchise, for my money anyway.
    How do you feel about rewatching SF?
    Don't forget the TSWLM throwbacks (in the desert & in Austria) as well. Subtle & fleeting, but still noticeable to us die-hards. Nice touch.

Which Mendes also surely was referencing in SP when they get picked up by the Rolls?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Yeah, the lack of romance hurts it from what's expected and you're right, I think it's biggest flaw was being a direct followup to CR that was also very different. That being said, even though there are glaring differences between the 2 films, there's an underlying Craig current in both that captures the same essence that for me, was absent in SF and QoS. The funny thing is, CR and QoS actually makes me feel cheerful and I feel a sense of comfort with them that I don't get at all with the last 2 movies.

In a way, QOS was doomed to disappoint, following CR.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Like SP after SF, for some?
    Like SP after SF, for some?

That is an interesting comparison. I find CR superior to QOS, but that does not detract me for enjoying QOS on its own, in spite of its flaws.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree @Ludovico CR was a hard act to follow.
    I like QOS a bit better than CR, and SP a lot better than SF.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The QOS dialogue so much better than SP, infact there is an argument for it being the best of the era.

It doesn't have nothing like my little finger or the shameless product placement, I put CR quite a bit above it but dialogue I think QOS is Craig's best.

I prefer SF to it as well but the problems with QOS, the editing, the length etc make it no. 3 in DC's films for me but it's so much better than generic tick the list Craig Bond.

I get the impression it's all the Brosnan fans that seem to love SP and it's no surprise, it's not as bad as DAD, TWINE or DAD but it shares more with Brozzers era than it does the previous 3 Craig films.

As good as the SP PTS is it's the worst of all Craig's still.

Shardlake wrote: »
    I feel SO fortunate that I can enjoy most of Craig's era more than so many here... AND most of Brosnan's... AND both Dalton's, Moore's, Lazenby's, Connery's.... I sometimes have to stop & realize what a huge fan I am...

=))
    I like QOS a bit better than CR, and SP a lot better than SF.

That is very unusual. May I ask why?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I find SP very re-watchable and the 2 and a half hour runtime just flies by.

In fact I find all of Craig's films work well on repeated viewing.

QoS the most!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I feel SO fortunate that I can enjoy most of Craig's era more than so many here... AND most of Brosnan's... AND both Dalton's, Moore's, Lazenby's, Connery's.... I sometimes have to stop & realize what a huge fan I am...

=))

I'm aware some of you almost slavishly love almost every entry with some exceptions but I'm not one of them.

You could also explain what is so side splittingly funny about your comment, forgive me but I sometimes forget you are older than me with the continuous use of emoticons.

I personally would gladly put them in room 101, I really can't stand them, it just goes to show how dumbed down we've become as a species.

edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694

=))

I'm aware some of you almost slavishly love almost every entry with some exceptions but I'm not one of them.

You could also explain what is so side splittingly funny about your comment, forgive me but I sometimes forget you are older than me with the continuous use of emoticons.

I personally would gladly put them in room 101, I really can't stand them, it just goes to show how dumbed down we've become as a species.

They are plenty of things about how we currently communicate as a species that show how we have degenerated into a lesser form of what we were before. Like how some use every opportunity they can in their speech to complain about the same things (like the 24th film in a series, for instance) time and nauseating time again, or how others can't stand the "slavish" opinions of others that don't match their own to the point that they seem to take it as an offense on their character, responding to further comments with pompous abandon.

Life is futile, progress is unprogressive and meaning is the rusted and faulty mechanism of humanity's scrambling to understand that which has no explanation. But hey, at least we have emoticons! Join hands as our species continues its journey to annihilation!

:)] ;)) :)>- :)) :) :(|) :(( :( ;) :D ;;) >:D< :-/ :x :\"> :P <:-P :-* =(( :-O :O) X( X( :> B-) :-S #:-S #:-S >:) :| /:) =)) O:-) :-B =; I-) 8-| L-) :-& :-$ [-( 8-} (:| =P~ :-?? :-? #-o =D> :-SS @-) :^o :-w :-< >:P :@) 3:-O ~:> ~O) *-:) 8-X >-) :-L [-O< $-) :-\" b-( [-X \:D/ >:/ :-@ ^:)^ :-j :-c ~X( :-h :-t :-t 8-> %-( :o3 X_X :!! \m/ :-q :-bd ^#(^ :bz :ar! :)] ;)) :)>- :)) :) :(|) :(( :( ;) :D ;;) >:D< :-/ :x :\"> :P <:-P :-* =(( :-O :O) X( X( :> B-) :-S #:-S #:-S >:) :| /:) =)) O:-) :-B =; I-) 8-| L-) :-& :-$ [-( 8-} (:| =P~ :-?? :-? #-o =D> :-SS @-) :^o :-w :-< >:P :@) 3:-O ~:> ~O) *-:) 8-X >-) :-L [-O< $-) :-\" b-( [-X \:D/ >:/ :-@ ^:)^ :-j :-c ~X( :-h :-t :-t 8-> %-( :o3 X_X :!! \m/ :-q :-bd ^#(^ :bz :ar! :)] ;)) :)>- :)) :) :(|) :(( :( ;) :D ;;) >:D< :-/ :x :\"> :P <:-P :-* =(( :-O :O) X( X( :> B-) :-S #:-S #:-S >:) :| /:) =)) O:-) :-B =; I-) 8-| L-) :-& :-$ [-( 8-} (:| =P~ :-?? :-? #-o =D> :-SS @-) :^o :-w :-< >:P :@) 3:-O ~:> ~O) *-:) 8-X >-) :-L [-O< $-) :-\" b-( [-X \:D/ >:/ :-@ ^:)^ :-j :-c ~X( :-h :-t :-t 8-> %-( :o3 X_X :!! \m/ :-q :-bd ^#(^ :bz :ar!
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    If it's easy, we'll progress towards it, and that's what is most worrying. Technology allows for an expedient solution rather than a more thought provoking, nuanced or complex one, and that is the path of least resistance. C'est la vie.