Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

1646566676870»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I've played that game again recently. I still rather like it, simplistic though it may be.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,958
    QoS is the film I flip-flop on the most. Some days I think it's just shy of being a worthy follow-up to CR, other days I think it's flat-out terrible.

I think the Vesper/White/Mathis storylines could have been integrated and developed a bit further (these are the scenes that shine in the movie), as well as some of the Camille story and motivation (which is a bit underbaked, especially how she uses Greene sexually), even if it all meant less time spent on all the Bolivian "main plot," GF homage, etc.

And I'm not sure why Dench kept popping up on location.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    She's sentimental about him.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 2,871
    Frequent flyer miles perhaps? She does it in CR too to be fair.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 2,047
    She also does it in TWINE and DAD. I think it’s for the free Holiday destinations.
    Bet she had to take EasyJet for at least one of those flights too. Not sure why I find that idea funny but I do.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    cinemablend-28591-1304299600-6.jpg
    David Harbour Claims He Ended Up In A
    James Bond Movie Because The Director
    Was ‘An Insane Person’

By Mike Reyes

Harbour fondly remembers his early break from director Marc Forster.

Article
    https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/david-harbour-claims-he-ended-up-in-a-james-bond-movie-because-the-director-was-an-insane-person

Video
    https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/0f11BO9F
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Nice, I've always wanted to see him talk about that role.
  • Is there a sequence like this anywhere else in the series? It’s in public, not a bullfight. Posh, actually. [Yes, like a bullfight, actually]
    I just watched QOS again on ITV. It's an absolute classic. Everything about it. OK, carry on... ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    14 years on and QoS still hasn't lost that magic for me. I get so damn excited during my yearly Bondathon as it inches closer and closer to being the next one I watch.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    14 years on and QoS still hasn't lost that magic for me. I get so damn excited during my yearly Bondathon as it inches closer and closer to being the next one I watch.

Nice. It definitely gets better for me every time I watch it, and it's already very up there. Last time I watched it I was just blown away.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Filming on the Tosca/opera house scenes kicked off 15 years ago today. Where does the time go??
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,006

Another absolutely glowing long review of QOS... they demonstrate how the storytelling is smarter than most Bond films.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Had a rewatch of QOS a few weeks ago, it may be my favourite Craig entry of the moment. I think it has his best Bond performance, in CR he’s a bit brutish, SF-NTTD he’s a bit too depressed, I think in QOS he’s perfect.

As for the editing, didn’t bother me at all really. It reminds me of OHMSS action scenes, and if anything, that’s a big compliment.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,923
    Absolutely. CraigBond is a force of nature in QOS. We needed to see him operating on that level for at least one (but preferably three!) more films before SF. Obviously, that can never happen - so bring on Ludovico's graphic novels!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Man, whilst I love QoS, what I would give to see a version of it that had 3 months of extra script time and 3 months of additional post production, July 2009 release.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So I mentioned this in another thread, but has it ever been revealed what the idea with the Aston sliding on its side in the car chase was?

My guess is that it hits the spinning tyre of the JCB which flips it over, but how did it get back down again? Did the windscreen just hit the wall and pop it back onto its wheels? Why?
    My guess has always been that it's the cool Bond moment to end the chase- Bond is reaching for his machine gun in the passenger footwell but can't reach it amid the franticness of the pursuit; a bit of tension created. He then hits the JCB tyre as the two cars pass either side of it, the car flips onto its side, then hits the wall and crashes back onto its wheel violently, flinging the gun over to Bond's side of the car where he catches it, turns, and shoots.
    Is that the intention do you think? The chase does end in a slightly anti-climatic way so I've always wondered if there was supposed to be more to the ending.