Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
edited September 2016 in Bond Movies Posts: 28,694
QoS is the kid in the class who sits in the corner and cries, feeling emotionally detract from his other schoolmates. The 6th graders(DN,FRWL,GF,AND TB) all tease the little film. After school he goes home to his parents bickering and spends his time in his room crying himself further to sleep. Let's appreciate the film for what it is. Not CR, but still a very good film. No negative comments on the sometimes crazy plot and action scenes that were "weak". Is that too much to ask? If there are plot points that you don't understand, comment and we'll all pitch in to help.

Comments

i loved quantum of solace
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Why Risico? Share, please.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Since this thread is about the appreciation of QoS, I shall refrain from summing up my usual objections and talk about the things I like.

First of all, Craig is on fire. He has been since the opening of CR but in QoS he's really a force to be reckoned with. I still think Craig is the best thing that happened to Bond since long. I also love what they did with the character of Greene. Well acted and well written, this character never fails to amuse me, especially with those piercing eyes and that freakish moment with the axe, as he goes into total berserker mode.

QoS features a score from Arnold which I have a lot of fun with too. The Bregenz scenes especially benefit from the music.

QoS is one of the few Bonds to end on a high note. That final scene, where Bond confronts Yussef, might just be one of the best acted scenes in the last two decades of 007. Never ceases to indulge me.

And agreed, when I'm looking for a Bond flick that can fill a late-night gap but isn't too long and can guarantee that I won't fall asleep, QoS is my go-to film.

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    All of the above Darth.

QOS is brilliantly pitched. It ramps up from the closing moments of CR and does not let go..exactly mirroring Bonds motivation.

Get over the fact that it is unconventional (so is Bonds frame of mind), ignore frenetic editing issues, this is viceral Bond -(OHMSS has some of the fastest edits in its fights sequences too)

Mr Craig is perfect in those final scenes ("Sit Down!" - scares me every time)

There are moments where you wish it would linger just a little more but that is not what the character of the piece is all about.

B23 will redress the balance but for me QOS stepped in exactly the right direction, we now know who DC's Bond is and we are quite happy to go with him into the next mission. It is nowhere near the car crash that (ahem) purists would have you believe.

I watched this twice in the space of a week and it gets better and better each time.

Formula is all well and good but it is Bond we care about most and right now he needs a hug and godspeed to him going forward. Thrilling stuff.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Whoops missed Mr Arnold off there. I love the Thunderball references during the chase at Port Au Prince. der der der dun dun dun der der der dun dun dun etc. then brings it right down to a chilled take on the Bond theme into sweeping strings as he gets to the jetty. Great.
    Great idea for the action scenes and for the Main titles. The guy who down them KNEW what he did and exactly how to mix the image in order to have a dive in action.

The best performance of Bond about Friendship with Le Chiffre. A creepy villain who, if he had had more time on the screen, would have been the best in 10 years. Great destinations, awesome Opera scene, great music which shakes my all body.

Bond is back ! under a new perspective, not feeling good with his feelings, but he does enough bondian stuff to convince me.

And last but not least : It took me time to love QOS, but I really enjoyed discovering why this film ISN'T a screwed Bond Film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The character arc of Bond is something that really works in this film, you actually feel for Bond, all due to Craig's hard work as does pairing him with Camille as a great counter for him. The fact that don't sleep together is also nice for a change.

There are some great ideas in this film. It's very unique and I'm glad we have it.
    Here were the good points in my mind:
    -Daniel Craig's performance as 007
    -Lots of action too keep us entertained
    -The pace of the movie, sweeping us away to a new location without ever getting tired of the old one
    -Some definate quote-worthy dialogue
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm with you Samuel on your point about Camille. Hopefully in Bond 23 or 24 she returns. Bond and Camille will then explore a possible relationship that could last.
  • QoS is one of my personal favourites, maybe not as in a 'Bond-styled' film, but as a film in general, although i do identify it as a really exciting Bond Film :D

Good:
    - Intense and entertaining action sequence
    - Doesn't drag with time
    - 'Tough' bond
    - Great scores
    - Outstanding car chase
    - Introduces new villainous organisation (Quantum)
    - Dramatic ending
    - Different approach to making a Bond film
    - Fast editing (I'm so used to it, that i actually enjoy it) and (To be honest) i don't mind the use of the hand-helds
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    As people know Quantum is one of my least favourites. However I will give credit where credit is due. The shots of Tosca and the accompanying score are all very good (although the action scene that follows does leave me a little cold).

Some of the individual shots are pretty good aswell.

I wasn't quite as impressed with Craig this time round though. He was great in the last few scenes but bad when it came to the lighter moments. It was if he was trying to act like Connery. The sex scene with Fields is a case in point.
    The character arc of Bond is something that really works in this film, you actually feel for Bond.
    I actually felt more for Mathis and Camile in the film to be honest. They are both more sympathetic characters who were dragged into Bond's situation - especially Mathis.
  • Agreed with all said above.

I wonder if people get so wrapped up in the "artsy" direction that they fail to see the film beneath it it. As strange as it sounds, after the film I said "This is the one film where I'd like to see the non-director's cut!". But there are lots of great elements - the brutal fight with Slate, Bond momentarily being at a loss for words when confronted by M with Fields' dead body (then showing extreme confidence and ability by escaping custody), Bond allowing himself the luxury of getting drunk while he's safely ensconced on the plane with Mathis for a few hours, an action scene with an old DC-3 (?) that is vastly more exciting than it has any right to be...and it does play better on the smaller screen than it does sitting near the front in a huge theatre!

It will be interesting to see how we view it 10 years from now - its place in the context of other Bond films will be a bit easier to see.
    I love how Bond's anger and lost love about Vesper's betrayal is so visible. As it would be in a real life situation. Bond diverts everything Vesper-related.

At the beginning he knocks Vesper off as unimportant, yet sneaks the photo of her and Yusef when M isn't looking. Later when Mathis and Bond are boarded on the plane he asks Bond what he is drinking. It is the "Vesper" he created while at Montenegro in CR, but Bond diverts again to avoid Vesper coming up again. Finally at the end of the movie Craig is at his absolute best, and shows his ever present acting talent. With a throw of the necklace, Bond is ready to forgive and forget, and move on.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    above all for me - when you strip away the frenetic shooting when it came to the action.... this was one of the most beautifully crafted Bond films, in the franchise's entire history... and i'll use this one scene for example, starting with this image...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/djx187/QOS001.jpg

i remember sitting back during this whole sequence, and just going "wow"... i was almost speechless... the way that shot was constructed, not to mention - the closeups of Bond and Greene as the music is booming - it really gave the feeling of the friction, and eventual volcanic eruption between these two... this whole section of the film, from beginning to end is probably my favorite, and feels totally like classic Bond to me.

I think Arnold's score took another step forward as well.... while some of his tracks tend to sound no different than others - he'll often have these tracks, that have this great sense of emotion behind it - case in point, "Camille's Story".... not only, IMO, is the entire track beautiful, but the moment the guitar part hits and on - it's amazing... and paired with the action, it was another aw inspiring moment i had when watching this film...
    I absolutely agree haserot. Bond and Greene/his boys meet, and their close distance makes the scene all the more powerful. I love how the shots are silent for several frames as Bond frantically fights for his life. The musical accompaniment is beautiful, and the instruments beat in rhyme with the events happening in the scene.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 74
    Oh, what a great idea for a thread -- I am the one who should have started it, because "Quantum of Solace" is one of my favorite Bond movies!

Well, usually I do not admit that -- but I did so recently in a different thread and was not banned from the board.

From where I am stranding, no other Bond movie explores the character of Bond the way "Quantum of Solace" does. Also, it has a great cast of characters, intriguing settings (opera + desert) and a fantastic musical score.

I love that movie!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Some good things about QoS?

1. Well, Stana Katic, of course. If she had played Camille, I would have enjoyed it much more.
    2. Bonds development to the connoisseur we know: checking into the best hotel in town with the line "we are teachers that have won the lottery". This scene shows that Vesper has instilled in him a sense for style and also shows his recklessness in the face of being uncovered.
    3. The way he throws the room keys on the couch, focusing entirely on sthe task ahead (which I think is bedding agent Fields...).
    (4. The relief when the title song ends...)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,681
    I agree haserot, the Bond/Greene face-off was great, and I really liked the chase in the restaurant with the Tosca music- very beautifully shot, one of the visually greatest scenes in the franchise.
    The fight between Bond and Greene was definately worthy of "good", but for some reason I still don't find it worthy of anything more than good. I think what would have made it a personal favorite of mine would have been less focus on Camille's fight with Medrano. It kept switching our focus away from the better fight, and since QoS already was running a short time slot, that made Bond vs. Greene all the more short. They should have done Camille vs. Medrano sometime after Bond finished with Greene, maybe having Bond walk in right as Camille shoots Medrano. This way, both fights would get equal time length and give us more from each one. Also, as for Bond vs. Greene, I still wish that the camera had gone a little slower. Thankfully though, it wasn't as bad as the foot chase in Sienna!
    Mathis's death scene. Pure and simple. Shows Bond at his most ruthless, and at the same time at his most raw. Sums the original character of James Bond beautifully!

In fact, the meeting scene with Mathis too. ('The heroes and the villians get all mixed up') That was a great scene.

Fields. Had great potential, she should have been used more.

Again, as others have already said. The last scene. Hit the nail on the head.

Locations: They were great. But it was a shame there were so many. They could have been used better that way.
    Mathis's death scene. Pure and simple. Shows Bond at his most ruthless, and at the same time at his most raw. Sums the original character of James Bond beautifully!
    I agree the death scene itself was pretty well acted but, re the bin scene, when did the original James Bond do anything like that to a fallen colleague? Maybe you could count the bit in the OHMSS book with the wounded man. Still, it's not exactly the same is it? One was for queen and country, the other (QoS) just seemed a bit nasty.

Great film.
    The quick editing I learned to like very quickly, it actually has a very good rhythm.
    The intertwining of Bond´s job with his personal agenda is done very well and justifies the comparably dark mood of the film.
    The very dry humor is a relief, especially since it is scarce and not always expected.
    The minimalistic approach of the length of each cut, a lot of meaning in a short time.
    Very beautiful frames mostly all of the time.
    It doesn´t take ages to watch as with other Bond films, which is also fun of course, but not necessary all the time.
    Most of all the performances. Craig carries the lead role so well that I couldn´t care less that his Bond has nothing in common with previous cinematic incarnations. And the smaller characters like Greene´s killer, or Elvis, were also very good.
    My wife appriciates QoS, she has not been pestered about the new 007 movie since CR.
    I really like Camille. She has a very unique look I feel like we haven't seen in a Bond girl in a good long while. I like that there is some back story with her character, and how she and Bond can relate through their individual pasts.
    Some good things about QoS?

1. Well, Stana Katic, of course. If she had played Camille, I would have enjoyed it much more.
    2. Bonds development to the connoisseur we know: checking into the best hotel in town with the line "we are teachers that have won the lottery". This scene shows that Vesper has instilled in him a sense for style and also shows his recklessness in the face of being uncovered.
    3. The way he throws the room keys on the couch, focusing entirely on sthe task ahead (which I think is bedding agent Fields...).
    i really agree about part 1

this movie bores me at some parts
    that is why i dont like it
    it have some good segments but it needs much work to be good.this is like TND of Craig. i think TND is better than QoS.
    and yes i still think that Camile is one of the worst Bond girls
  • I'd just like to point out that some of us here are branching out to criticisms. Let's remember that this is an appreciation thread about only the things we like about QOS. If you don't have anything good to say, please don't say it.

Some of the things I appreciate about QOS that haven't been spoken for already-

1. Considering they went into filming with an unfinished script, this film is a minor miracle and I appreciate EON and everyone involved for doing an admirable job under the circumstances, and for giving Bond fans everywhere another entry in the series. Obviously the entry isn't at the level of it's predecessor, but it still mostly manages to be a true sequel on many other levels by wrapping the story arc of Vesper, Bond's beginnings, and establishing the Quantum organization as a worthy adversary they can use to the same effect once occupied by SPECTRE.

2. For what he had to work with, Craig proved to the masses that he can play this role and play it well. His performance on screen I find to be commanding and confident, which to me is the way Bond should be played having Sir Sean as the screen Bond of my early childhood and my template for any comparison. I'm just as excited to see Craig play Bond as I am to see the movie, and that's unusual for me because I can only recall having that anticipation in 1971, 1973, 1989, and now for BOND 23.

3. The amazing fall through the glass by Bond and Mitchell. No one talks about that much, one of the most exciting stunts I've seen period and one that had the theater oohing and ahhing. Kudos to the stunt teams.

• Some good things about QoS?

i really agree about part 1

this movie bores me at some parts
    that is why i dont like it
    it have some good segments but it needs much work to be good.this is like TND of Craig. i think TND is better than QoS.
    and yes i still think that Camile is one of the worst Bond girls
    This is an appreciation thread, remember?
    yes if you look at the film and realize that the strike effected it a good deal, its amazing how good it actually is...

It is rushed and some scenes were begging to be filled out but DC is a cold blunt instrument of destruction but by the end he becomes classic Bond.
    Something that doesn't get a lot of notice, at least from what I understand, is the airplane battle. I actually really liked that part! It was intense, nail-biting, and just plain epic! It was certainly a step up from the Tomorrow Never Dies pre-title sequence, which quite honestly didn't cut it for me, even though TND is in my Top 5!
    I love how this thread has turned out. It's nice to see so much positive feedback and love for a film somewhat burdened in the franchise.