Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

You could even have had Camile die and then have Bond avenge both her and her parents at the end by killing the general. Bond would have felt guilty about using an already vulnerable girl to fulfill his own selfish sexual desires and that would have spurred him on. I suppose that would be pushing things a bit though.

Just an idea.
    Yes, just abit. We would have been within the realms of Greek tragedy. Oedipus Rex wouldn't have been just as grim as that.

I am glad he didnt sleep with Camille because it would have spoiled their quite strong relationship. If Bond rang Camille up in a years time she'd still be his mate.There was a definite bond there, different from the Vesper bond but more of a meeting of friends who had been through hell. They had the shared experience of losing loved ones. Bond had never had that before except maybe with Marc Ange Draco offscreen and he was nearly over Tracy when he met Melina Havelock. Out of respect for her grief is probably why he didnt go with her until the end.

• edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Maybe there would have been a "Greek tragedy" element about it but still, if there was going to be a female sacrificial lamb, why not make it someone we at least know a bit more about and have some familiarity with?

They either needed to expand Fields's role or cut her out altogether and make Camile the one who dies IMO.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Yes because it is hard to connect with a character (Fields) that barely has 3 minutes of screentime.
    I didn't mean to make the comments sound too negative, they were just meant to be possible ideas for improvement.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 1,310
    I think it should have been Fields as the main Bond girl as opposed to her being the three minute side-quest. I found her (albeit in her very small screen time) to be far more interesting than the Camille character. Nothing against Olga Kurylenko; she did a fine job in the role, but I just found Fields a far more interesting character.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I think Fields could have been (and was probably meant to be) a delightful throwback to the classic 60s naughty English Bond girl. She's an appealing fairly likeable woman and certainly needed a bigger part.
    I think Fields could have been (and was probably meant to be) a delightful throwback to the classic 60s naughty English Bond girl. She's an appealing fairly likeable woman and certainly needed a bigger part.
    I'm for sure in agreement with you, Bain.

Now, in relation to this thread: I think Quantum of Solace is a good film, overall. I can certainly understand the criticisms, however.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the character of Gregory Beam in their criticisms, though. It seems the filmmakers realized that that QOS's script had so little humor that they decided to throw in some bumbling American in for cheap comic relief. However, I found his character severely out of place. I'm glad at the end of QOS that M hinted to us never be seeing Beam again :-D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Maybe Beam will be the J W Pepper of the Craig era, and return in the next one... :-))
    Maybe Beam will be the J W Pepper of the Craig era, and return in the next one...
    Oh God, I can see it now.

Bond 23 Pre-title sequence:
    Gregory Beam is in a Ford dealership looking for a brand new car, when James Bond (being chased by gunmen) crashes through the window with a mysterious briefcase in his hand. Bond jumps to the car nearest him which happens to be a brand new Ford Mondeo (once again), with Beam sitting in the side seat admiring the one touch navigation display.
    "They don't make 'em like they used too," mutters Bond.

Sorry, I can't write anymore, I've made myself sick. :0&
    + Exciting pre-title chase
    +Colorful locations
    +Fast paced but not to the point of being like a music video
    +Great villain in Greene
    +Daniel Craig as Bond
    +Camille being her own woman
    +Fields as a cheeky throwback to the 60's birds in films
    +David Arnold's location inspired themes
    +Better acted than CR. No forced lines.

All in all, pretty good film.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 4,622

You could even have had Camile die and then have Bond avenge both her and her parents at the end by killing the general.
    But if Camille had died, he would have had 4 dead girlfriends instead of 3/4 :-(
    Nice to know at least one of them survived knowing Craig Bond.
  • I watched QoS again the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although it's a bid muddled and the action scenes look more like teaser trailer's it is still an enjoyable film. The cast is perfect, locations are great and has a rapid pace. My favourite scene would have to be Bond meeting up with Mathis. David Arnold's score is spot on. "Night At The Opera" will be one of those Bond tracks we will still be referring to in years to come.

Although it is far from perfect, I am very pro-Quantum of Solace.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I watched QoS again the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although it's a bid muddled and the action scenes look more like teaser trailer's it is still an enjoyable film. The cast is perfect, locations are great and has a rapid pace. My favourite scene would have to be Bond meeting up with Mathis. David Arnold's score is spot on. "Night At The Opera" will be one of those Bond tracks we will still be referring to in years to come.

Although it is far from perfect, I am very pro-Quantum of Solace.
    Exactly what he said, only my favorite scene is the showdown between Bond and Slate.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm a sucker for the Siena chase and the great ending.
  • do_me_nicelydo_me_nicely Banned
    edited August 2011 Posts: 106
    this movie make me dizzy and look at a watch , (but still good):

Camille should of died \:D/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694

I have no idea who the hell you are, but I have yet to see a comment from you that makes any sense. Am I right fellows? Anybody with me out there??

:-W
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 No uproar please, sir. When you find yourself annoyed by a member, please talk to a mod privately.
    I knew that was coming. Thanks Dimi. :-??
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,372

I surmise that you mean you're looking at a watch in hopes that the film is almost over? Me, I think it moves along fine. It's almost as if each set piece opens up to the next, making it move along smoothly. I love QoS, has a lot of excellent action. That finale battle is insane.

Even the small things are fun to look for, like when Bond falls and grabs the railing at the end, and as he stands up, he kicks Greene in the chest, and right after the kick lands, an explosion throws Bond back. Excellent.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2011 Posts: 7,948
    First off, I'd like to say I love this movie. Yes, the title track is appalling and the film works better on a small screen, but after rewatching it so often, I can only say: well done! It starts out with the chase. As soon as you've gotten accustomed to the shakey cam, you'll see it's an increadably well executed stuntsequence. No gas explosions, just raw action. Not to mention no Ford placement vehicles but two beautiful Alfa's.

On the subject of Fields: I think her death works extremely well. Not only is the oil a nudge towards Goldfinger, it serves a purpose. It misleads M in thinking it's about oil. And Field's death does too: M isn't willing to hear Bond out becouse of losing her own agent. If it'd been Camlle, she wouldn't have cared so much.

Beam is the incompetent agent that gives reason for Felix to be around. I don't like the character that much, but that's life, isn't it. You just don't like everybody.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    You're 8 seconds off, but nonetheless correct. Thanks for correcting me back into shape every once in a while DC. Though Fields appeared in many scenes, her appearance was brief in all of them. Could have had potential.
    I hate entering into these things, but the aiport scene was nearly 2 minutes, then the ride in the cab (she was there even if she didn't speak) and the business at the check in desk. The scene in the hotel room was arouns 1.5 minutes. Add another 30 seconds (or more) at Greene's party and a few seconds dead in bed, it's 4 minutes minimum.
    Sadly @ NicNac, I actually sat and tallied the seconds. DC was right. It just didn't seem true at the time. Hell, I thought she had ten minutes. I have no idea what I was thinking.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,686
    You're 8 seconds off, but nonetheless correct. Thanks for correcting me back into shape every once in a while DC. Though Fields appeared in many scenes, her appearance was brief in all of them. Could have had potential.
    I hate entering into these things, but the aiport scene was nearly 2 minutes, then the ride in the cab (she was there even if she didn't speak) and the business at the check in desk. The scene in the hotel room was arouns 1.5 minutes. Add another 30 seconds (or more) at Greene's party and a few seconds dead in bed, it's 4 minutes minimum.
    Fields doesn't appear the the whole duration of those scenes. She's only there for 50 seconds at the airport and 1 minute in the hotel room...
    Well physically maybe not. But thats like not counting someone as not being in a scene everytime the camera cuts to the other person in a conversation.
    Well physically maybe not. But thats like not counting someone as not being in a scene everytime the camera cuts to the other person in a conversation.
    SCREENtime, it means what it means.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited August 2011 Posts: 4,311
    @NicNac and @DaltonCraig007 : Sorry to say this, but you guys start to bore me to death, don't you have better things to comment on than counting people's appearances by the second? Even for a fan-site this is a bit too much. (Now you'll hate me...)
    @NicNac and @DaltonCraig007 : Sorry to say this, but you guys start to bore me to death, don't you have better things to comment on than counting people's appearances by the second? Even for a fan-site this is a bit too much. (Now you'll hate me...)
    how can we hate someone who is half zebra and half fish.?
    Now then, I'm currently counting the exact number of seconds Craig is ACTUALLY on screen in QOS
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Too late @NicNac. He's on screen for 90 minutes(am I telling the truth?) :-? :-D
    89 minutes 38 seconds actually. YOU LIE DAMN IT B-) :-D
    Is it really? I was simply guessing on pure calculation that to me seemed to be a fifteen minute Bond absence. If it is, that's cool. I hope you didn't take the time to tally and instead went to IMDB or something. :-))