Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well the entire dialogue of DAF is full of classic quotable lines, and there's lots of cult classic scenes... apart from a few minor plotholes, DAF is the most memorable script in the franchise, thus IMO it's the best written Bond film. I think the DAF script is spectacular.

This is why I love you and your posts @DC007. I can never tell if you are being genuine or not, and whether you are or not, you are quite the entertaining poster. :-bd
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I did say there were some good memorable lines but after Majesty's its definitely a missed opportunity.

Almost missed on purpose though, we were always going to get something different after what happened and with Lazenby and Hunt leaving. The question was what. Whatever it was to be it would have never been as good, I agree.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Well the entire dialogue of DAF is full of classic quotable lines, and there's lots of cult classic scenes... apart from a few minor plotholes, DAF is the most memorable script in the franchise, thus IMO it's the best written Bond film. I think the DAF script is spectacular.

This is why I love you and your posts @DC007. I can never tell if you are being genuine or not, and whether you are or not, you are quite the entertaining poster. :-bd

In the post you quoted, I was serious ! :)>-
    I believe QoS will come to be seen as a middle to top half of the league movie over time. It has many good qualities and (important for a Bond film) it is often visually stunning and stylish.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 3,168
    DAF is the most memorable script in the franchise.
    I admire your passion for this movie, but clearly you are not stating facts, just your personal biased opinion.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    QoS appriciation................... A turd might have feelings too.

A bit harsh Saint Mark

No that is me being kind, my other remark has been removed, that one was harsh.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I think it has great occasional scenes, but the initial car chase is unnecessary, and too often Forster cuts out of scenes just as it's getting interesting i.e. in the plane "I didn't sleep with Greene for..." RRRRRRRR!

What?
    I will be the first to admit that I was let down by QoS upon first viewing. And after a few more viewings (in the theatre) I was still let down. But in the 4 years waiting until Skyfall, I have to say that QoS has aged very well. There is still a ton of problems with this film, but overall, it is an enjoyable entry. LOVE the opera sequence, and Daniel Craig gives another great performance. I think the boat chase is the most pointless action scene in any Bond film and the editing still bugs me in some scenes. But I think it will continue to age well. It's still not in my top 10 but it has its moments
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    echo wrote:
    I think it has great occasional scenes, but the initial car chase is unnecessary, and too often Forster cuts out of scenes just as it's getting interesting i.e. in the plane "I didn't sleep with Greene for..." RRRRRRRR!

What?
    Unnecessary? Well Bond just driving into Sienna before the theme played would've been dull wouldn't it?! If the driving in the opening was cut out people would be complaining about a boring opening, so potato patato my friend.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 5,979
    echo wrote:

What?
    Unnecessary? Well Bond just driving into Sienna before the theme played would've been dull wouldn't it?! If the driving in the opening was cut out people would be complaining about a boring opening, so potato patato my friend.

IMHO, the car chase is unnecessary because it doesn't advance the plot. In fact, it raises more questions than it answers: who are the people chasing him, for one?

The movie could have opened just as dramatically with White's interrogation. The rope swinging would then lead into the titles.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited March 2012 Posts: 2,635
    2 words: NO Way.

The chase on opening were made to show the ppl that is watching, What kind of action the movie would show on. Action from beginning to the end.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,350
    SaintMark wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    QoS appriciation................... A turd might have feelings too.

A bit harsh Saint Mark

No that is me being kind, my other remark has been removed, that one was harsh.

This just all sounds a bit bitter to me but suit yourself.
    echo wrote:
    echo wrote:

What?

IMHO, the car chase is unnecessary because it doesn't advance the plot. In fact, it raises more questions than it answers: who are the people chasing him, for one?

Eh, White's men? And not advance the plot! That's like saying Octopussy's PTS doesn't advance the plot.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 28,694
    echo wrote:
    echo wrote:

What?

Well in the bloody first place if we are critiquing Bond PTS sequences for not "advancing the plot" then you are bashing a good majority of the films' openings that have literally no connection to the established plot post Bond theme.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 5,745
    echo wrote:

What?

Because we already know the answer. Bond doesn't but we know she slept with him to get her personal vendetta against General Medrano. They avoided the plot repeating, and at least tried to tidy the script.

I thought that was obvious?

I like it in films when they aren't perfect. Interruption happen in real life. In the perfect film world (where 98% of films sit) there wouldn't be interruptions like that. It adds a sort of aesthetic to the film.
    QoS may not have been as fully developed as the producers wanted but frankly this is a relief after the bloated Brosnan movies (apart from TND) and over-long CR. It feels taut and pacy. More like the early films in that sense.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 501
    The main problems in this film are: the editing and the shaky camera.
    The car chase is perfect, the interrogation scene is ok. It has humor, not too much but still it does, it has the opera house scene, one of the best of the enire Bond history. The water thing is quite interesting, the end, with the "I never left" line and the neacklace in the snow is beautiful, the short role of Stana Katic is well thought and interesting, because you can imagin Vesper being in her place some years ago.

Once said this, I have to say that TMWTGG is my favourite Bond film. Roger's acting is superb and so is Lee's. The two problems it has are: the whistle in the scene with the car and Bond's ally leaving him without getting into the car.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It was only a week or two ago when I noticed QoS was starting to get a bit more love- and now this thread has been revived! I'll admit I was slightly disappointed upon leaving the cinemas, but the film has since grown on me quite a lot. The TOSCA scene where Bond takes the photos always impressed me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Zekidk wrote:
    I admire your passion for this movie, but clearly you are not stating facts, just your personal biased opinion.

Eh ? no opinions on Bond are facts. I don't know why you wrote that post, because everyone knows I am posting my opinion, not a fact. It isn't a fact that CR or QOS are better written than DAF, it's just the opinion people have. So I stand by my opinion that DAF is by far the best written Bond film, and nothing you will say will change my views on that.

Sorry, but your post is just silly. I don't see how anyone could mistake an opinion for a fact. It isn't a fact that CR is the best Bond film or that QOS is better written than DAF, or any possible opinion on Bond. They are just simply humble opinions... There are no opinions that are right and opinions that are wrong. I am not wrong when I say the best script in the franchise is DAF, and you are not right when you say QOS is a good Bond film. They are just the opinions that you may or not agree with.

But thanks for posting the obvious - when people post an opinion, they post an opinion, not a fact.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I like QoS because it took some risks.
    Next Generation SPECTRE (Quantum)
    Realistic Villain Plot. (Water stealing)
    Secondary villain who happens to be a rapist. (Medrano)
    I love QoS it's in my Top 10.
  • Maybe I've been too hard on it since then, but make no mistake about it, the general consensus is such is that it's recognized by most as one of the very worst of the entire franchise. Fully justified maybe

Ahh that is complete rubbish! What are you basing this on? Go and look at QOS's score on IMDB, I would call that general consensus, wouldn't you? It rates equal or better then 13 other Bond movies placing it around #10 and better then most of Brosnan's and Moore's except for GE and TSWLM.

Personally I love QOS and place it easily in my Top 10. It is unconventional but that's what makes it unique and fun.

Highlights for me include the opening PTS chase which is one of the best car chases I've ever seen! I had serious goosebumps watching that the first time on the big screen. The Bergenz Opera scene is brilliant and one of the best Bond moments ever IMHO. Craig and the rest of the cast are top notch and the cinematography is breathtaking.

Like others have said I think QOS will only improve in opinion polls and ratings over the years, its a rough gem but a gem nonetheless!
    Zekidk wrote:
    It isn't a fact that CR or QOS are better written than DAF, it's just the opinion people have. So I stand by my opinion that DAF is by far the best written Bond film, and nothing you will say will change my views on that..
    Yes, I know that nothing that people will say will ever make you change your mind!

But here's a fact for you: One of the behind-the-scenes documentaries clearly shows all the problems they had building a coherent script. The co-screenwriting never really worked that well, and they had to do several rewrites. There's often no sense of why one scene is following another. Wint and Kid vanish from the movie for almost 50 minutes? After they attempt to bury Bond in the dessert, they aren't seen again until the epilogue? Wtf? Also, Tiffany Case - she vanishes from the movie for almost as long (and having Bond not even notice that she's missing, wtf?)

The illogic in the script is seen numerous times. So Bond is given "one last chance" to tell where the diamonds are after he's nearly cremated alive in a coffin (if you've just shown that you're going to kill him no matter what, what exactly are you going to threaten him with?). Other "huh?" moments include Cabot showing up to kill Whyte even though he was never actually told to do so, and, of course, the oil rig "climax" where the producers didn't have time or money to shoot an actual ending, so they just randomly blew stuff up. And - the script aside - Saltzman and Broccoli clearly cared so little about plot logic that they cut the scene that would have explained why the Lana Wood character ends up dead in Jill St. John's pool, even though they'd already filmed it and it was only like a minute long.

The script for DAF is probably not the worst Bond-script ever, but it's certainly one of the dumbest!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Maybe I've been too hard on it since then, but make no mistake about it, the general consensus is such is that it's recognized by most as one of the very worst of the entire franchise. Fully justified maybe

Ahh that is complete rubbish! What are you basing this on? Go and look at QOS's score on IMDB, I would call that general consensus, wouldn't you? It rates equal or better then 13 other Bond movies placing it around #10 and better then most of Brosnan's and Moore's except for GE and TSWLM.

Personally I love QOS and place it easily in my Top 10. It is unconventional but that's what makes it unique and fun.

Highlights for me include the opening PTS chase which is one of the best car chases I've ever seen! I had serious goosebumps watching that the first time on the big screen. The Bergenz Opera scene is brilliant and one of the best Bond moments ever IMHO. Craig and the rest of the cast are top notch and the cinematography is breathtaking.

Like others have said I think QOS will only improve in opinion polls and ratings over the years, its a rough gem but a gem nonetheless!

Amen my friend. I don't know where this general consensus nonsense came from. I recall QOS getting it's fair share of good reviews upon it's release. And in addition to it's solid score on IMDB it's certified fresh with a 65 percent rating on rotten tomatoes, which is higher than every Brosnan film, minus GE, and 5 of the 7 Moore films (TSWLM and FYEO being the only ones ranked higher). That's 8 Bond films I just mentioned, not counting NSNA. I undertand that rankings on IMDB and RT are composed by casual fans and not hardcore fans like us but last time I checked the general consensus is made up from the majority's opinion not the minority. And in QOS's case the majority ranks it in the middle of the Bond series, certainly not the bottem as @Baltimore007 said. I honestly don't know where he pulled that one out of.

Personally I never cared for TB but even Im objective enough to admit it's generally considered one of the better Bond films. Just like QOS is considered a solid entry in the series. Not the best but far far away from the worst.

And as a previous poster said, there was a time that OHMSS was considered one of the worst Bond films. Now it's easily considered one of the best. Im not saying QOS will enjoy the same reaction but so far it hasn't been aging badly.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    It may be sad to say but I honestly don't think Quantum will be that fondly remembered in the future - especially if Skyfall turns out to be a huge critical success which I suspect it will. IMDB may say certain things but the majority of real people I've talked to were underwhelmed by it.

I don't consider it the worst but it's still in my bottom 5. It's one of the films I've watched the least. Everytime I see it I TRY really really hard to love it but, while it has some good scenes (and it does), something's off.

I read a well-written review on Amazon recently that, after giving QoS another go, said they needed to watch OP afterwards to cheer themselves up. Sad but I can understand their view.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Zekidk wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    It isn't a fact that CR or QOS are better written than DAF, it's just the opinion people have. So I stand by my opinion that DAF is by far the best written Bond film, and nothing you will say will change my views on that..
    Yes, I know that nothing that people will say will ever make you change your mind!

But here's a fact for you: One of the behind-the-scenes documentaries clearly shows all the problems they had building a coherent script. The co-screenwriting never really worked that well, and they had to do several rewrites. There's often no sense of why one scene is following another. Wint and Kid vanish from the movie for almost 50 minutes? After they attempt to bury Bond in the dessert, they aren't seen again until the epilogue? Wtf? Also, Tiffany Case - she vanishes from the movie for almost as long (and having Bond not even notice that she's missing, wtf?)

The illogic in the script is seen numerous times. So Bond is given "one last chance" to tell where the diamonds are after he's nearly cremated alive in a coffin (if you've just shown that you're going to kill him no matter what, what exactly are you going to threaten him with?). Other "huh?" moments include Cabot showing up to kill Whyte even though he was never actually told to do so, and, of course, the oil rig "climax" where the producers didn't have time or money to shoot an actual ending, so they just randomly blew stuff up. And - the script aside - Saltzman and Broccoli clearly cared so little about plot logic that they cut the scene that would have explained why the Lana Wood character ends up dead in Jill St. John's pool, even though they'd already filmed it and it was only like a minute long.

The script for DAF is probably not the worst Bond-script ever, but it's certainly one of the dumbest!

You sumed up alot of my feeling towards DAF @Zekidk. DAF is a jarring Bond film because it's packed with instances that just don't make sense. Somehow I get the feeling that EON had some great ideas, maybe even a rough draft, of a really awesome follow up to OHMSS but after Lazenby and the film weren't recieved as kindly they had to completly change gears from what they were planning. It's a real shame because DAF could've been just as good, if not better, than OHMSS.

WTF momemts seems to exist in alot of the Guy Hamilton films, except for GF. DAF, TMWTGG, and even LALD (which I liked very much) have alot of instances that leave me scratching my head. Hence Guy Hamilton is probably my least favorite of the 5 Bond film directors to direct more than 1 entry.
    Zekidk wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:

Agreed. The movie has holes you could drive a Mustang through.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    . I am not wrong when I say the best script in the franchise is DAF

Err yes you really are wrong I'm afraid mate. OK maybe you cant techincally say someones opinion is 'wrong' because it is their right to have said opinion but what you can say is that it is, as in this instance, complete and utter bollocks.

Just because its got some great one liners and keeps you reasonably entertained doesnt make DAF a good script. Beyond the uninspired plot and action there are monumentally shoddy errors such as Plenty going to Tiffanys house, Saxby knowing to go and shoot Whyte and the Mustang stunt which seems like they just thought 'f*ck it no one will notice' which all go to show that everyone at EON decided that as Sean was back they could get away with turning in sub standard work and the box office would tick over.

The script is beyond lazy with a litany of poorly written aspects such as barely a mention of Bonds bereavement, Tiffanys character morphing from sassy diamond smuggler into gormless bimbo (thats not a character arc by the way its just someone not giving a shit about what theyre writing) and Bonds nemesis turned into the sort of affable chap you might meet in a golf club propping up the bar with a whisky and soda (who they cant even be bothered to kill properly). Even Wint and Kidd, probably the most fun aspect of the film are hampered by their Austin Powers attempts at killing Bond off in ever increasingly stupid and drawn out methods.

Compared to the craft of OHMSS when everyone involved hit it out of the park DAF is just a shambles which seems like it was written in an afternoon. As someone else has commented, its a Roger Moore Bond, but not a very good one. LALD, TSWLM, MR, FYEO and OP are all way better.

Its beyond me how Guy Hamilton got asked back a further 2 times, especially considering he was delivering smaller and smaller returns at the box office.

I know I should be more mature than to rise to DaltonCraigs bait but some things are just to ludicrous to let pass.

I do enjoy these little visits Mr DaltonCraig but its late and I'm tired....
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,690
    So I see some opinions are not permitted.... could you make a list of all the opinions that people are not allowed to have, so that next time no-one will be caugh having such opinion ?? 8-|

Anyway..... I do think that DAF has an excellent script, the best in the franchise. The entire dialogue is quotable, there's lots of classic scenes.... and I don't care about plot holes, they don't make or break a film. IMO DAF's amazing lines and classic scenes trumps the plot holes it may have. And the script is quite Flemingesque too, so that's another plus for DAF.
    @DaltonCraig007

No one is arguing, that your opinion isn't "permitted". That's a ludicrous accusation.
    What a lot of people are saying, is that your opinion is horrendous. Arguing that DAF has "the best script in the franchise" (better than OHMSS, FRWL etc) is like saying that the latest Steven Seagal-movie has a better script than let's say 'Shawshank Redemption"

And have you even read the novel by Fleming? Only fragments of his novel remain, including the characters of Case and the gay hitmen. The remainder of Richard Maibaum and Tom Mankiewicz's script diverges dramatically from the novel.

"Flemingesque"? I think not!
    Well I'm terribly sorry that I am blown away by DAF... sorry if I offend some people by saying that......

Yes OHMSS's and FRWL's script are very, very good... but I think DAF's has the little plus that puts it in front..
    The one thing I really appriciate about QoS is that Bond23 will most certainly be better. (Or so I live in hope O:-) )