Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

I think the car chase should've been cut out of QOS, because it was pointless and seems sort of like a failed bourne attempt. All the best bond carchases have cool gadgets and awesome stunts. QOS car chase was just, WTF is going on???

And if the car chase was taken out, maybe we could've had a gunbarrel. It starts with white's interrogation, and the action scenes with mitchell. And we have a CR type gunbarrel, with bond swinging round on the rope and firing, leading into the titles.
    You forgot that boatchase, I still haven't a clue what happened at the end. I am quite sure neither did the director, but editing solved that problem.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    You forgot that boatchase, I still haven't a clue what happened at the end. I am quite sure neither did the director, but editing solved that problem.

Bond tracked Camille, got her free of Medrano, she fought him away because she wanted to kill Medrano, Camille gets hit on the head with a boat that coasted up the side of the boat Bond is driving, and after Bond loses the men he drops off Camille now that she is safe. What's there to be confused about??
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    SaintMark wrote:

Bond tracked Camille, got her free of Medrano, she fought him away because she wanted to kill Medrano, Camille gets hit on the head with a boat that coasted up the side of the boat Bond is driving, and after Bond loses the men he drops off Camille now that she is safe. What's there to be confused about??

I think he meant how Bond takes care of the final villain boat.... he seems to throw something in the boat and the entire thing is catapulted in the air...... what happened there ?

SaintMark wrote:

I think he meant how Bond takes care of the final villain boat.... he seems to throw something in the boat and the entire thing is catapulted in the air...... what happened there ?

The editing suite happened. A really poor actionscene that makes little sense.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    So I see some opinions are not permitted.... could you make a list of all the opinions that people are not allowed to have, so that next time no-one will be caugh having such opinion ?? 8-|

Anyway..... I do think that DAF has an excellent script, the best in the franchise. The entire dialogue is quotable, there's lots of classic scenes.... and I don't care about plot holes, they don't make or break a film. IMO DAF's amazing lines and classic scenes trumps the plot holes it may have. And the script is quite Flemingesque too, so that's another plus for DAF.

Youre perfectly entitled to hold said opinion if you so desire old man. Just as the rest of us are perfectly entitled to rip it out of you. As long as you dont mind being reduced to a figure of fun then hold any opinion you want.
    Well I'm terribly sorry that I am blown away by DAF... sorry if I offend some people by saying that........

No need to apologise to me. Its the bloke you see in the mirror who needs the apology.
    Yes OHMSS's and FRWL's script are very, very good... but I think DAF's has the little plus that puts it in front..

I'm not even going to respond to this as I think you just do it to annoy me.

Back on topic and the QOS boat chase. I think what is supposed to happen is that Bond attaches the anchor to the villains boat and then throws it overboard. The trouble is as far as I can tell they either never filmed the shot of him throwing the anchor over the side or it is there but its a 1 frame shot so unless you have Max Payne bullet time vision youll never see it.
    Of course whether an anchor would have enough weight to flip a boat 20 feet in the air is a moot point.

Possibly the most superfluous and poorly edited action scene of the series. Got to feel sorry for the stunt team because theres some decent footage in there if they had had Peter Hunt rather than Peter Sutcliffe in the cutting room.
    Sadly, having just watched QoS on ITV2, I've gone from feeling very positive about it to feeling it's really isn't very good at all. The HD TV I watched it on actually made it look very cheap - more like an episode of Dr. Who or Spooks than a glossy motion picture. And it actually feels like quite a 'small' movie, despite the huge budget.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Sadly, having just watched QoS on ITV2, I've gone from feeling very positive about it to feeling it's really isn't very good at all. The HD TV I watched it on actually made it look very cheap - more like an episode of Dr. Who or Spooks than a glossy motion picture. And it actually feels like quite a 'small' movie, despite the huge budget.
    This is QoS APPRECIATION, so don't come here just to degrade it yet again.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:

Before you get your knickers in a twist, you might want to note that all my previous comments about QoS were entirely positive. However, having just rewatched it in HD on ITV2 I came away for the first time feeling it really isn't as good as I remember. So I'm reassessing my previous comments in light of recent developments. Or is that not allowed?
  • The throwing of the anchor is definitely there, but the frenetic editing makes it difficult to see without numerous watchings and knowing where to look. I think the idea was that by Bond quickly accelerating his boat after the anchor catches the inner liner, the gravity was supposed to throw the villain boat into the air, but it like the opening car chase becomes very muddled due to the editing. I still don't entirely grasp every frame in that car chase and I've seen the movie at least 20 times by now if not more. That scene always screamed for Bond to take out the chase cars with his weapons rather than driving skill, but the last scene where his gun comes out of nowhere is excellent in execution and a great way to end it before coasting into a safe haven with White in the trunk/boot.

The throwing of the anchor is definitely there, but the frenetic editing makes it difficult to see without numerous watchings and knowing where to look. I think the idea was that by Bond quickly accelerating his boat after the anchor catches the inner liner, the gravity was supposed to throw the villain boat into the air, but it like the opening car chase becomes very muddled due to the editing. I still don't entirely grasp every frame in that car chase and I've seen the movie at least 20 times by now if not more. That scene always screamed for Bond to take out the chase cars with his weapons rather than driving skill, but the last scene where his gun comes out of nowhere is excellent in execution and a great way to end it before coasting into a safe haven with White in the trunk/boot.

I think the chase is excellent, if perhaps slightly too short. However, bringing out the gun at the end begs the question of why he didn't use it earlier.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Before you get your knickers in a twist, you might want to note that all my previous comments about QoS were entirely positive. However, having just rewatched it in HD on ITV2 I came away for the first time feeling it really isn't as good as I remember. So I'm reassessing my previous comments in light of recent developments. Or is that not allowed?

Yes, the annoying bickering and argument that QoS is exactly like Jason Bourne in every way was completely positive. Suuuuuuuuuure.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I feel like quoting the late Rodney King and want to say "why can't we all just get along?". Seems appropriate about now.

@ Getafix- sorry to hear you aren't enjoying QOS as much as you used to. I get what you mean though when you say that the scenery makes the movie seem small and not like every penny allotted was spent. But I don't let it affect my view of the film, because this film was based on the previous storyline and not as much on the little things people continually nitpick. I'm not even going to get into all the myriad locations, how little time was spent in each, etc, but the scenes and locations used in Italy and Austria still feel very grand and very Bondian. Panama and Chile are pretty dour for the most part and don't feel nearly as exotic and sophisticated but this was where the villain was operating and it was a realistic view of what it is like to be there as Bond. Short of the hotel, which shows Bond's developing sense of style, Bond gets down and dirty for a change and goes where he has to. If Bond were only seen in exotic places amongst rich classy people in every movie, it would get trite and boring and too formulaic for me. I love it when he descends occasionally into reality and less exotic locales, such as he ventures into in TLD as an example.

Getafix wrote:
    The throwing of the anchor is definitely there, but the frenetic editing makes it difficult to see without numerous watchings and knowing where to look. I think the idea was that by Bond quickly accelerating his boat after the anchor catches the inner liner, the gravity was supposed to throw the villain boat into the air, but it like the opening car chase becomes very muddled due to the editing. I still don't entirely grasp every frame in that car chase and I've seen the movie at least 20 times by now if not more. That scene always screamed for Bond to take out the chase cars with his weapons rather than driving skill, but the last scene where his gun comes out of nowhere is excellent in execution and a great way to end it before coasting into a safe haven with White in the trunk/boot.

I think the chase is excellent, if perhaps slightly too short. However, bringing out the gun at the end begs the question of why he didn't use it earlier.

He went from a tunnel full of civilians to a winding, hundreds-of-feet drop quarry road. Not much opportunity.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

He went from a tunnel full of civilians to a winding, hundreds-of-feet drop quarry road. Not much opportunity.

Precisely.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Precisely.

Also, it wasn't a pistol. The DBS and Alfa were so close to each other at the end, that accuracy didn't matter. Plus he didn't have a door to get around.

The opening car chase and the opera scene were two very big highlights for me.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Precisely.

Also, it wasn't a pistol. The DBS and Alfa were so close to each other at the end, that accuracy didn't matter. Plus he didn't have a door to get around.

The opening car chase and the opera scene were two very big highlights for me.

Agreed. When you look across the genre at the time of Quantum (the spy film genre) the chase is one of the best. Yes the editing is rough, but it was intended. It's what they were going for. Definitely one of the highlights of any modern spy film/franchise.
    I myself wasn't impressed by the chase at all. Way better stuff out there, by a landslide.
    I myself wasn't impressed by the chase at all. Way better stuff out there, by a landslide.

Recommendations? I'm always up for seeing a good car chase. Especially when they involve Astons and Alfas.

(Don't bother talking about the Transporter movies. They're useless.)

Recommendations? I'm always up for seeing a good car chase. Especially when they involve Astons and Alfas.

The Bourne Trilogy
    Mission Impossible series
    I Am Legend
    Die Hard With a Vengeance
    The French Connection:

The Bourne Trilogy
    I Am Legend
    The French Connection:

You forgot The Rock. I'm amazed given how much of a Connery nut you claim to be ;)

My apologies, @BAIN123, but I try to give as little kudos to Michael Bay as possible.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Mr. White's confidence is much appreciated.
    The Bourne Trilogy
    I Am Legend
    The French Connection:

There's really only one major MI car chase. GP's was short and excellent, but odd. So I'll give em 2.

I Am Legend has a car chase?

Die Hard w/ a Vengeance does have quite a few excellent chases.

Really the only main rival I was trying to get at was Bourne, because I meant in the context of QoS at the time of it's release. There wasn't much competition, and Bond did it just like the rest of the genre at the time.

But I think GP, Taken, Inception, etc have pulled us out of the fast edit car chase finally.

MI2 has a great chase, as does MI3.

I Am Legend has the scene where Neville races to get to the deer, and then when he gets attacked in his vehicle later on from the infected.

I Am Legend has the scene where Neville races to get to the deer, and then when he gets attacked in his vehicle later on from the infected.

Spaced on MI3, and its the latest one I've watched! Haha sorry.

And I'll have to check out I Am Legend again.. hmm
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Spaced on MI3, and its the latest one I've watched! Haha sorry.

And I'll have to check out I Am Legend again.. hmm

In MI3 it is when
    Ethan has secured the rabbit's foot and his team has picked him up. The men are chasing after him, Chinese police I do believe.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Yes, the annoying bickering and argument that QoS is exactly like Jason Bourne in every way was completely positive. Suuuuuuuuuure.

You assume that my comparison with Bourne means I'm criticising QoS, when the opposite is true. It's u that has the issue here - a bizarre inability to accept that QoS was a direct response to and heavily influnced by Bourne. Barbara Brocolli has been quoted saying as much and simply watching the film shows ample similarities and yet there is this strange contingent on here who insist on being in denial.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 165
    To be honest, when I joined this site a couple weeks ago I was completely shocked to see how much vitriol was spewed toward Quantum of Solace. I absolutely loved the film, but I also tend to see it as Casino Royale Part II (in the same way that I also look at the Lord of the Rings trilogy as one, very long, movie instead of its individual releases).

Sure, it’s not a “traditional”, light-hearted Bond movie and I can see why that would turn some people off (some people just find it hard to accept change). It’s one of the darkest, if not THE darkest, Bond movies (certainly the darkest since License to Kill) and probably the most “reality based”. But it was the perfect way to explore the Bond character in ways that have never been done before and I applaud the franchise for the willingness to take that risk - and for pulling it off so well.

It’s not a film about being suave or flippant or scoring with the babes while saving the world. It’s a film about pain and revenge and, ultimately, redemption. It wears it’s emotional scars on its sleeve with a grit and honesty never before seen in Bond films. I found it more moving and intriguing than just about any other film in the Bond catalog.
    The ultimate carchase movie remains for me : RONIN

It should have been a 007 movie.