Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    QoS has really moved up my list; I am even one of the few who likes the imperfect Another Way to Die I'm still not sure why he threw Mathis into the dumpster.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »
    QoS has really moved up my list; I am even one of the few who likes the imperfect Another Way to Die I'm still not sure why he threw Mathis into the dumpster.

Mathis being left in the dumpster was Bond trying to slow down local police and buy himself more time. The intention was to make it look like an armed robbery that escalated into a murder. To quote Mathis himself, "Being dead doesn't mean one can't still be useful" Hence Bond using Mathis' corpse to try and divert police attention into thinking his death was a result of an armed robbery and why he says to Camille Mathis wouldn't have cared after she questions him about dumping the body in the trash.

It's definitely a grim scene but it's a bold move to convey to audiences and a character layer of what Bond is capable of and willing to do to complete his mission. Also, in a slightly twisted sort of way, Bond dumping Mathis' body in the bin was respecting and honoring him because Mathis himself would have encouraged such a tactic.
    I was thinking something along those lines, thanks!
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm in full agreement with @daltoncraig and @Getafix.

QoS is flawed and I dare say handicapped but there's just so much going for it that makes it a unique standout entry. No pretence. No bullshit. It's a film that gets straight down to business, tackling the story head on.

For me it's sort of the opposite. Pretension and bullshit are very much part of its make up. It tries incredibly hard to be cool, while CR just is cool. CR is directed by a man who doesn't approach it in narcissistic fashion. Campbell is about making a good Bond film first and foremost, while Forster is about making a good Forster movie. You can smell the contempt at times.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    QOS was panned when it came out in comparison to how well recieved it is now.

Was it panned? May be by Mark Kermode, who hates Bond anyway, but otherwise I think it got reasonable reviews.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    RC7 wrote: »
    I'm in full agreement with @daltoncraig and @Getafix.

QoS is flawed and I dare say handicapped but there's just so much going for it that makes it a unique standout entry. No pretence. No bullshit. It's a film that gets straight down to business, tackling the story head on.

For me it's sort of the opposite. Pretension and bullshit are very much part of its make up. It tries incredibly hard to be cool, while CR just is cool. CR is directed by a man who doesn't approach it in narcissistic fashion. Campbell is about making a good Bond film first and foremost, while Forster is about making a good Forster movie. You can smell the contempt at times.

=D>

Yes, people often say that Campbell is a workman director, but I think it is as you describe.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    After watching QOS many times lately, I am now of the opinion that Giannini's performance as Mathis is one of the best in the entire franchise (and I include Bond performances), and the chemistry between him and Craig is right up there with the one between Connery Bond and Kerim in FRWL.

I agree.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Quantum of Solace contains an endless string of my favorite dramatic scenes in the franchise (and the Slate fight is one of my favorite brawls):

There's just such great artistry and quality of performance in this movie that makes everything so raw and impactful. It gets written off by so many for not being a "proper" Bond movie, but that contention always makes me laugh. This movie, and the Craig films in general feel more in touch with Young's style of Bond than any other previous director, and for me, his three are as proper as Bond films can get. Quantum doesn't bog itself down with a silly pact to the formula, and just tells a damn good story with Bond at his most interesting. This may in fact be Dan's best performance, because he is given so many great meaty moments to give us a window into Bond's inner life like no actor has done like Sean and Timothy. But he performs like this in all his films, so it is very hard for me to say conclusively which of the four are his best, as I struggled similarly with Connery's films.

I hope that over time Quantum finds even more support as its wonders are discovered by a new generation of fans that like Bond films with more meat on their bones and more than spectacle on the menu.

Some of the greatest friendships I've made on here started in part by discussing this film with members on this thread, and our mutual love for it bonded us from the start.
  • The key behind QOS from my point of view is that it is a mystery to be unraveled. After Mr. White is freed by betrayal within MI6, the next sequence for Bond is an enigma which he has to solve. Bond isn’t sent to find some mastermind, instead for most of the film he is playing catch up to resolve the unknown story. He is forced to kill Slate his primary lead, and is left with chasing smoke. Domenic Green’s presence is more like a wraith than a bold clear target, and he is ahead of every step Bond makes. In league with the CIA, torturing and killing Fields, having Mathis murdered. Bond is in the dark until Leiter fills in the final details of why the CIA is involved, and where to find Green. Even General Medrano, the more colorful villain isn’t who Bond is after, and after finding Green there is no cinematic climax for the ending. Without that more dramatic target in the sky for Bond to chase after, the story becomes more of an intellectual exercise without that feeling of afterglow satisfaction usually found in Bond films. Even in CR there is some sense elation when Bond captures Mr. White, but after QOS there is only the question of what did Green tell Bond. The Craig series is challenging in the Bond collection, but I enjoy it and find it well orchestrated as a complete set.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    After watching QOS many times lately, I am now of the opinion that Giannini's performance as Mathis is one of the best in the entire franchise (and I include Bond performances), and the chemistry between him and Craig is right up there with the one between Connery Bond and Kerim in FRWL.

I agree.

Both examples of father figure allies for Bond that were really warm towards him from the start, and left their impact. Bond grabbing Kerim's shoulder lovingly in FRWL and him holding Mathis in his arms as he died in QoS both strike a similar feeling.

I love it when Mathis says to Bond, "forgive her. Forgive yourself" as his last words. He's the big hero of QoS beyond the Quantum plot because throughout the film he helps Bond to realize the truth about Vesper he was too blinded by his rage to see, and makes him face all she did for him. Without Mathis, Bond may never have healed properly.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I have likely written this elsewhere, but Forster used water not only as central to the plot, but also as a metaphor. From the opening shot (over water) to the final shot (snow), water plays a significant role in many scenes and in every locale.

Also, Forster employs all four elements as the basis for his action scenes: earth (car chase), water (boat chase), air (plane chase), fire (hotel sequence).

TripAces wrote: »
    I have likely written this elsewhere, but Forster used water not only as central to the plot, but also as a metaphor. From the opening shot (over water) to the final shot (snow), water plays a significant role in many scenes and in every locale.

Also, Forster employs all four elements as the basis for his action scenes: earth (car chase), water (boat chase), air (plane chase), fire (hotel sequence).
    I can understand why you would think this. Was this his intent or you perception?

I can understand why you would think this. Was this his intent or you perception?

His intent. I believe Forster iirc brings this up in a Featurette.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I love it when Mathis says to Bond, "forgive her. Forgive yourself" as his last words. He's the big hero of QoS beyond the Quantum plot because throughout the film he helps Bond to realize the truth about Vesper he was too blinded by his rage to see, and makes him face all she did for him. Without Mathis, Bond may never have healed properly.
    YES! THIS!
    B-)

His intent. I believe Forster iirc brings this up in a Featurette.

Thanks.

Mathis being left in the dumpster was Bond trying to slow down local police and buy himself more time. The intention was to make it look like an armed robbery that escalated into a murder. To quote Mathis himself, "Being dead doesn't mean one can't still be useful" Hence Bond using Mathis' corpse to try and divert police attention into thinking his death was a result of an armed robbery and why he says to Camille Mathis wouldn't have cared after she questions him about dumping the body in the trash.

It's definitely a grim scene but it's a bold move to convey to audiences and a character layer of what Bond is capable of and willing to do to complete his mission. Also, in a slightly twisted sort of way, Bond dumping Mathis' body in the bin was respecting and honoring him because Mathis himself would have encouraged such a tactic.

He already did,in CR,dumping the bodies in the boot of the car and framing some of Le Chiffe's men.

Delighted to see the love for Gianninis Rene Mathis character! Hence my adoption of his name! He, along with Craig of course, was one of the best things about CR, and i loved him in QoS. Their scene at Mathis house and the following one on the plane are marvellous moments in the series! Too much emphasis is put on the editing and action in QoS, where it actually has some memorable dramatic sequences inbetween!
    Mathis had the bodies dumped in the car in CR, which I referenced in the same post with his quote about being dead and helpful. This is why Bond now dumped Mathis' body in the bin because he knew Mathis would approve, not that he had any say in the matter, hence my comment about Bond honoring Mathis' method of doing things; although to anyone else, as evidenced by Camille it came across as cold and heartless.
    I must say I like the scene on the plane,and the interaction between Greene,Leiter,Beam and Elvis..
    I really wish they hadn't killed off Mathis. It would have been great to see him in a couple more films.
    Mathis had the bodies dumped in the car in CR, which I referenced in the same post with his quote about being dead and helpful. This is why Bond now dumped Mathis' body in the bin because he knew Mathis would approve, not that he had any say in the matter, hence my comment about Bond honoring Mathis' method of doing things; although to anyone else, as evidenced by Camille it came across as cold and heartless.

It would be a twisted moment for someone outside the spy world to witness, you're right. Bond's action there is something just between he and Mathis that nobody else could "get."
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I must say I like the scene on the plane,and the interaction between Greene,Leiter,Beam and Elvis..

The slimy shoulder rubbing between the CIA and Quantum is one of my favorite things about the film. Beam is just such a sick freak, and it's played so damn well. It's fascinating to watch Felix stuck in the middle rallying with his head and heart and facing a moral crisis about how to deal with the corruption he sees unfolding.

I really hope we see Wright's Leiter again before Dan hangs up his holster. It would feel wrong if we didn't.
    I totally agree with that @doubleoego ..for me he was Bond's best ally since Ali Kerim Bey...
    I hope we see Mathis again in the future, as Fleming intended in the role of a French agent. It'd be great to see that kind of dynamic between him and Bond.
    Anyone else spot Beam in Stranger Things? I had to Wikipedia the actor to work out who he was.
    i havent to be fair,but he is excellent in this.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I really wish they hadn't killed off Mathis. It would have been great to see him in a couple more films.

He was a great character, but that death scene made him even greater.

So agreed. :)>-
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Yes, Quantum of Solace has more natural dialogue, compared to CR and no shameless product placement. In that regard QoS might be CraigBond's best film.

blog-bond-290908.jpg

Ive gone blank (watching the footie)...DC did say Bond,James Bond in QOS didnt he ?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    chrisisall wrote: »

He was a great character, but that death scene made him even greater.

So agreed. :)>-
    Agreed as well. No sense in driving a character into overkill, after having featured in two films with some exceptional dialogue.
    No, it is one of four films where he doesn't.

My memory is crap tonight,thanks @Birdleson