Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

Yes,this film is definitely going to shoot up my list,i have found a new appreciation for it recently,as has many others here.

I think this films popularity over time will continue to soar.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Yes,this film is definitely going to shoot up my list,i have found a new appreciation for it recently,as has many others here.

Quite the opposite in fact.It will forever be known as the Bond movie where they just went all Bourney.

@astonlotus in your opinion only of course.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Quite the opposite in fact.It will forever be known as the Bond movie where they just went all Bourney.

The style of it isn't that different from vintage Peter Hunt, really. There's elements of returning to roots there.

The style of it isn't that different from vintage Peter Hunt, really. There's elements of returning to roots there.

This is an appreciation thread so i shouldnt spend too much time here but QOS is largely seen as an inferior follow up to CR and it doesnt look like that will change.

This is an appreciation thread so i shouldnt spend too much time here but QOS is largely seen as an inferior follow up to CR and it doesnt look like that will change.

That's never been disputed on here and that is not what I was referring to...yep,maybe you should go and find 'QOS is shit' thread instead of this one eh ?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

The public are generally feeble minded and the mob mentality dulls their brains so much that yes, if ten reviewers say a movie is bad, they'll avoid it like the plague and call it garbage just to avoid feeling behind the curve. This was the case with much of QoS's reception, where people saw it once and never went back, or never bothered with it in the first place.

But I'm not losing sleep over it, as we here see the beauty in it and will enjoy it for years to come until others wake up. The massive amount of support the film and this thread has gotten since I created it is astounding, going from just a mere collection of like minded folks to a wide selection of Bond fans who pray at the altar of QoS. That says something to me.
    It has some great scenes and is not 'all action' as some people who haven't watched it properly think : the PTS,Bond and Mathis at the villa and on the plane, the opera scene,Beam/Greene/Leiter/Elvis on the private jet,Bond/Greene/Camille at the party with the clever twist between Fields/Elvis,Bond seeing fields dead/being arrested/coming back to warn M about the CIA/the death of Mathis,the hotel scene and build up with a great background score,a finally insane Greene battling Bond,Greene and Bond in the desert,and the brilliant ending with Bond and Yousseff..

Bad film my arse.....
    @barryt007, I think the shorter length of the movie makes the action seem far more prominent than it is to some, and because the pacing is so bullet-like it feels like each moment is another sequence to those folks.

I agree, however, in that QoS has some of the greatest dramatic scenes in Bond period, with such great depth and meaning to the context they represent and in the performances of the cast. The Yusef scene alone would make the film exceptional, but it's got several other moments just as good as that one besides.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 For me, QOS really has the edge on all the Craig films in terms of subtle moments. You'd think that Craig is a big dumb bulldozer in this film, and became smarter in the 2 Mendes films. But, there are many stroke of genius in QOS to show Bond's intelligence and world-wearyness without yelling it in our faces. One example I can think of is to compare it with the SPECTRE meeting in SP. Several characters there speak in foreign languages, but we only see Bond's face when Blofeld appears and talks, so we're left to imagine that Bond understand these languages (and he surely does, he is James Bond!) But in QOS, even though Craig barely speaks in the film, when Mathis' girl tells him in italian that he's offering Bond some cheap wine, you can clearly see that Craig is smiling, hence he understands what she is saying. Same with the 'blink and you'll miss' quip from Bond 'why would you want me to do that?' to the cop asking him to open the boot, it's clear Bond understands spanish very well (and the ''lottery'' line he tells the hotel clerk is thus not the only thing he knows in this language).
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    QoS has some of Daniel Craig's best moments as Bond.

There's no flab on this film. No gadgets and no silliness. It hurtles along and has Bond being the blunt instrument he's supposed to be.

Love it!
    I can feel the love in the room here...this film is finally getting the credit it deserves....
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm glad you guys love this film.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 For me, QOS really has the edge on all the Craig films in terms of subtle moments. You'd think that Craig is a big dumb bulldozer in this film, and became smarter in the 2 Mendes films. But, there are many stroke of genius in QOS to show Bond's intelligence and world-wearyness without yelling it in our faces. One example I can think of is to compare it with the SPECTRE meeting in SP. Several characters there speak in foreign languages, but we only see Bond's face when Blofeld appears and talks, so we're left to imagine that Bond understand these languages (and he surely does, he is James Bond!) But in QOS, even though Craig barely speaks in the film, when Mathis' girl tells him in italian that he's offering Bond some cheap wine, you can clearly see that Craig is smiling, hence he understands what she is saying. Same with the 'blink and you'll miss' quip from Bond 'why would you want me to do that?' to the cop asking him to open the boot, it's clear Bond understands spanish very well (and the ''lottery'' line he tells the hotel clerk is thus not the only thing he knows in this language).

Absolutely, @DaltonCraig007. I love these films for the same reason I do the Connery films, especially Dr. No, which is iconic for its quiet moments where Sean tells us things with just his eyes and body language. Dan plays these subtle moments expertly too, and makes it so that we can get behind what Bond is doing without hearing him say a word.

One of my favorite Bond moments period is in SF, where Bond is working his ass off in his evaluations to try and get back into active service, and when he's offered the first opportunity he tells the team there that he wants to postpone further testing for later. He watches as they all exit the room, then immediately collapses to the floor, shattered and unable to hold his bones up any longer. I love this about Dan's Bond in particular, and how he is always trying to act stronger and more guarded than he is to protect himself and hide his vulnerabilities, something he had known to be very important to his survival in his job even before Vesper broke his heart.

QoS is all about Bond downplaying Vesper's effect on him, which Dan plays well. The way he quickly steals the photo of Vesper from M's file, and how he pretends to forget the name of the martini he named after Vesper when Mathis inquires about it on the plane. Its fascinating to chart his progress through the stages of grief until he finally lets go of Vesper and is able to move on in the knowledge that she was just as much a victim as him, if not more. I feel like a lot of this meat is lost on some audiences, as it's not thrown in your face by the movie, but it is a special and unique experience to study Bond in this film and how it contributes to him being a better and wiser man and agent because of his trials.

Absolutely, @DaltonCraig007. I love these films for the same reason I do the Connery films, especially Dr. No, which is iconic for its quiet moments where Sean tells us things with just his eyes and body language. Dan plays these subtle moments expertly too, and makes it so that we can get behind what Bond is doing without hearing him say a word.

One of my favorite Bond moments period is in SF, where Bond is working his ass off in his evaluations to try and get back into active service, and when he's offered the first opportunity he tells the team there that he wants to postpone further testing for later. He watches as they all exit the room, then immediately collapses to the floor, shattered and unable to hold his bones up any longer. I love this about Dan's Bond in particular, and how he is always trying to act stronger and more guarded than he is to protect himself and hide his vulnerabilities, something he had known to be very important to his survival in his job even before Vesper broke his heart.

QoS is all about Bond downplaying Vesper's effect on him, which Dan plays well. The way he quickly steals the photo of Vesper from M's file, and how he pretends to forget the name of the martini he named after Vesper when Mathis inquires about it on the plane. Its fascinating to chart his progress through the stages of grief until he finally lets go of Vesper and is able to move on in the knowledge that she was just as much a victim as him, if not more. I feel like a lot of this meat is lost on some audiences, as it's not thrown in your face by the movie, but it is a special and unique experience to study Bond in this film and how it contributes to him being a better and wiser man and agent because of his trials.

Fantastic assessment Brady,perfect !!
    And i agree 100%,and the 'subtle' unsaid messages Craig's Bond sends out to the audience i think is brilliant.
    But i also found myself laughing or agreeing with something Craig's Bond has shown in his facial reaction but the people i am watching the film with look at me as if i am mad.

So i think maybe,only hard-core Bond fans can pick up these,Easter egg hints if you like,which Bond sends out..especially Craig and Connery's Bond and also Moore.

@barryt007, I laugh at absurd things in these films most don't too, don't worry. Daniel's Bond often makes me crack up with the things he does, even in moments of black comedy. The way he stabs Slate in a vital part of the body in their QoS fight and looks out on the surroundings over the balcony hoping nobody sees, with a look of total impatience on his face that screams, "Just die already, you bastard!"

How, when Camille nearly shoots him after Bond nonchalantly shows her the gun meant for her, he exits the car as she drives away, looking like she just turned down his request to got to a secondary school dance with him.

How Bond just stands there as Green and his boys come from down the stairs following his break-in on the Quantum meeting, staring with indifference at them all as if to say, "Yeah, I did that. Mad?"

How in CR Bond looks at Vesper with an expression approaching umbrage when she has the audacity to tell him what tuxedo to wear.

Such great moments of physical comedy that make me laugh louder than any one-liner ever could. Going forward I'd like to see this kind of humor replace the one-liners, which have become cringe-inducing. I'm of the opinion that they worked in the 60s because one, that was the era and two, Sean can get away with everything. But the Brosnan era showed me that the 90s aren't the 60s, and so the one-liners just don't work in that way anymore. Even if they're clever, they now feel like something that's more expected than needed, and when something is no longer efficient or necessary, it should make room for other things. I'm fine with moments where Bond says something dry in reaction to an event, something Dan excels at, as that's his humor, but these one-liners that attempt to play on words and all the rest in a way that make them sound like they were composed by a five year old with a fart joke gag book have to go, and I'm glad that the Craig era has largely steered clear of them.
    I have to admit that Brosnan's delivery of 'the things we do for frequent flier mileage' in GE is brilliant and i always laugh out loud at that,but then i have worked for an airline for 28 years so i can associate with it.

But i agree,facial expressions and off the cuff one-liners,are the way forward...BUT...we have to find an actor that can do that,its not as easy as it seems,to be able to pull that off as well as Connery,Moore or Craig....it HAS to be right.

There's no flab on this film. No gadgets and no silliness. It hurtles along and has Bond being the blunt instrument he's supposed to be.

Love it!

Yeah opening a parachute one second before hitting the ground during a free fall from a plane and surviving isnt silly.At all.

Neither is M sending a hot young female office worker with no field experience to make JAMES BOND go home and report to M silly.At all.

Love it!

Yeah opening a parachute one second before hitting the ground during a free fall from a plane and surviving isnt silly.At all.

Neither is M sending a hot young female office worker with no field experience to make JAMES BOND go home and report to M silly.At all.

In a film series where Bond is sprayed with soap and given a shower to relieve him of RADIATION POISONING, a villain has a rocket launching base inside a volcano and that same villain failed to recognize James Bond with zero disguise on his face two years after their face-to-face meeting, yeah, that stuff you listed is pretty goddamn benign on the silliness scale.

It's James freaking Bond for crying out loud.

Love it!

You really dont know when to quit do you ? what are your top 5 Bond films just out of interest ?

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,756
    I love this movie, it's my second favourite Bond film. I feel like a lot of people don't "get" this one. I don't think the story is anything groundbreaking, but I really enjoy it. What QoS does that exceeds 98% of Bond movies, to me, is it's atmosphere, dialogue, characters, and how they interact with each other. There is this big nostalgic feeling I get from this film that CR doesn't give me. Also not to mention Arnold's score for this film is amazing. (Guitar solo at the end of Camille's story still gives me goosebumps, Night at the Opera, I can go on).

There is something very emotionally satisfying about Camille and Bond's relationship. It doesn't feel forced, and when they're at the train station I almost feel a bit of dread because I wanted to see more of "them" but they had decided it cut it off there. I think that's what made that relationship even better; the fact that there could have been more but stopped while they were winning. Anyone who ever had to let someone go (probably) forever knows that depressing feeling.

Anyways just my few thoughts on the film.

Btw @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 incredible assessment, I hadn't even noticed these details before. Cheers.
  • RC7RC7
    I love this movie, it's my second favourite Bond film. I feel like a lot of people don't "get" this one.

To be fair, there's not an awful lot to get. It's a pretty simple A to B affair, which is perhaps its big selling point for some. Some of the drama is great, but most of the action is incredibly generic. The plane scene could've just been binned completely. It's a fine Bond, but it's way off being top tier.

Love it!

Seems like a good idea, no? Beauty is very persuasive. Also M knew he was vulnerable, so she could have tried to play that against him. Just a thought.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QOS is a top ten Bond film. Somewhere at the bottom, but still.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I love this movie, it's my second favourite Bond film. I feel like a lot of people don't "get" this one.

To be fair, there's not an awful lot to get. It's a pretty simple A to B affair, which is perhaps its big selling point for some. Some of the drama is great, but most of the action is incredibly generic. The plane scene could've just been binned completely. It's a fine Bond, but it's way off being top tier.

Objectively, perhaps. But it's in my personal top 5.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    Since I watched it at opening night it resonated it strongly with me. Since then it has always been in my top 5. During the last year or so it has climbed further.
    Now it is my favorite in the series.
    No other film in the series "gets" me as well as QoS does. My relationship to this movie is hard to talk about, more than it is a an important film for me!
    MrBond wrote: »
    Since I watched it at opening night it resonated it strongly with me. Since then it has always been in my top 5. During the last year or so it has climbed further.
    Now it is my favorite in the series.
    No other film in the series "gets" me as well as QoS does. My relationship to this movie is hard to talk about, more than it is a an important film for me!

Wow,i love the film ,but to be #1 ...respect to you @MrBond !!

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I like the movie a lot, too. But IMHO the ultra-fast editing and because of the extreme pace the movie has many of those awesome locations are wasted and left and still leaves audiences with a feeling the just "missed the point".

I like the movie like it is - but a recut of it would add a few frames in all of those action sequences so you can actually follow the action and get some more views of the locations they are visiting. The film is so beautiful but some of that is just wasted by the immense speed. Maybe it's strengths would show off more this way - since there are a lot as many pointed out in great detail already.

Love it!

In a film series where Bond is sprayed with soap and given a shower to relieve him of RADIATION POISONING, a villain has a rocket launching base inside a volcano and that same villain failed to recognize James Bond with zero disguise on his face two years after their face-to-face meeting, yeah, that stuff you listed is pretty goddamn benign on the silliness scale.

It's James freaking Bond for crying out loud.

Never said Bond movies werent silly.Some of the films are enjoyable fot those aspects.Its just leonardpines mention of there being '' no silliness '' in QOS made me laugh.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2016 Posts: 5,131
    Q of S in an underated gem. No it's not better than CR but neither is any Bond film since 69! Q of S has a great score, amazing opening sequence, Fleming tone, great Bond girls and is just well.....cool.