Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,756
    Maybe what makes me love QoS so much is that it was the first theater Bond movie I was hyped up and ready for. I also joined Bond forums for the first time after CR, so it gave me the first taste of "Bond hype". And after I had seen the film I had that feeling of shock & awe (I would later have with SF but not SP). I remember asking my dad to buy the QoS poster and put it in my room. I also had a huge crush on Olga Kurylenko and even saved a newspaper with her picture one time. Just little moments like these. Maybe since I associate it with my early teenage years, I'm more nostalgic for it, whereas someone who had just seen it in their 20s or 30s won't have that same connection.
    I had the same feelings when I saw OP in 1983..my first Bond cinema experience,so I know exactly what you mean @dominicgreene !
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I had the same feelings when I saw OP in 1983..my first Bond cinema experience,so I know exactly what you mean @dominicgreene !

I'm happy you understand @barryt007 ! I'm sure everyone on here has that same experience too.
    It was TLD for me! I loved Roger as Bond, but i was really ready for something different, and for the character of Bond to really shine.Dalton was a revelation! After that it had to be CR! When i exited my first viewingin the cinema i had a huge smile on my face! After the abysmal DAD, and the depressing Brosnan years, CRs debut brought me right back to looking forward to a new era of 007!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    TSWLM for me, I hated QOS at first ! It took me many viewings to warm to it. I now regard it as a great solid Bond film with a couple of standout moments.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    It was TLD for me! I loved Roger as Bond, but i was really ready for something different, and for the character of Bond to really shine.Dalton was a revelation! After that it had to be CR! When i exited my first viewingin the cinema i had a huge smile on my face! After the abysmal DAD, and the depressing Brosnan years, CRs debut brought me right back to looking forward to a new era of 007!

TLD was my first cinema Bond. Loved it. Tbh, QoS was the most enjoyable Bond film for me since TLD. CR didn't do it for me as it did for some others around here, although I recognise it as a massive improvment after the Brosnan era.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    LTK was my first cinema Bond - yet nothing came close to GF or TB for me until CR.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    One line that's always bothered me:

What does Bond/Mathis say when Bond says:

"half a measure of Kina-"
    Does Mathis interrupt and say "Kina Lillet"
    Why does he need to interrupt, Bond wasn't stuttering for the name...?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @w2bond, Mathis is interrupting the barman, not Bond. He seems to want to guess the drink ingredients, and says Lillet before the barman can get it out. It does play awkwardly, I give you that, but that's the whole of it.
    w2bond wrote: »
    One line that's always bothered me:

What does Bond/Mathis say when Bond says:

"half a measure of Kina-"
    Does Mathis interrupt and say "Kina Lillet"
    Why does he need to interrupt, Bond wasn't stuttering for the name...?

Note he is looking at the barman,Mathis is correcting the barmans pronounciation of it.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited December 2016 Posts: 2,252
    Oops. Yes of course. But as Brady also mentioned it sounds more like he is interrupting and not correcting as they say it at the same time
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 For me, QOS really has the edge on all the Craig films in terms of subtle moments. You'd think that Craig is a big dumb bulldozer in this film, and became smarter in the 2 Mendes films. But, there are many stroke of genius in QOS to show Bond's intelligence and world-wearyness without yelling it in our faces. One example I can think of is to compare it with the SPECTRE meeting in SP. Several characters there speak in foreign languages, but we only see Bond's face when Blofeld appears and talks, so we're left to imagine that Bond understand these languages (and he surely does, he is James Bond!) But in QOS, even though Craig barely speaks in the film, when Mathis' girl tells him in italian that he's offering Bond some cheap wine, you can clearly see that Craig is smiling, hence he understands what she is saying. Same with the 'blink and you'll miss' quip from Bond 'why would you want me to do that?' to the cop asking him to open the boot, it's clear Bond understands spanish very well (and the ''lottery'' line he tells the hotel clerk is thus not the only thing he knows in this language).

Absolutely, @DaltonCraig007. I love these films for the same reason I do the Connery films, especially Dr. No, which is iconic for its quiet moments where Sean tells us things with just his eyes and body language. Dan plays these subtle moments expertly too, and makes it so that we can get behind what Bond is doing without hearing him say a word.

One of my favorite Bond moments period is in SF, where Bond is working his ass off in his evaluations to try and get back into active service, and when he's offered the first opportunity he tells the team there that he wants to postpone further testing for later. He watches as they all exit the room, then immediately collapses to the floor, shattered and unable to hold his bones up any longer. I love this about Dan's Bond in particular, and how he is always trying to act stronger and more guarded than he is to protect himself and hide his vulnerabilities, something he had known to be very important to his survival in his job even before Vesper broke his heart.

QoS is all about Bond downplaying Vesper's effect on him, which Dan plays well. The way he quickly steals the photo of Vesper from M's file, and how he pretends to forget the name of the martini he named after Vesper when Mathis inquires about it on the plane. Its fascinating to chart his progress through the stages of grief until he finally lets go of Vesper and is able to move on in the knowledge that she was just as much a victim as him, if not more. I feel like a lot of this meat is lost on some audiences, as it's not thrown in your face by the movie, but it is a special and unique experience to study Bond in this film and how it contributes to him being a better and wiser man and agent because of his trials.

These two posts nailing perfectly why I love this Bond so, and many points were simply subconscious for me; thanks guys, for solidifying my appreciation even more.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Seconded and why Daniels Bond is very 'Fleming'.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    agreed @suave, much more than Dalton's Bond, DC captures the essence of the character from the books.

I'm just reading Goldfinger, and he's sitting in an airport bar going over his recent mission where he murdered a man. I can see DC doing this, deciding that tonight, he's going to get stinking drunk.

There's just something special in his performances that is able to channel Fleming's Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    To be completely fair Dalton was still unfairly saddled by the formula, with Cubby clearly reluctant to let go of the excess in Bond, halting the performance from feeling truly Flemingesque. I can only imagine what Dalton could have brought to the role on top of all that he already was able to with producers that provided him the kinds of freedoms Barbara and Michael do with Dan.
    To be completely fair Dalton was still unfairly saddled by the formula, with Cubby clearly reluctant to let go of the excess in Bond, halting the performance from feeling truly Flemingesque. I can only imagine what Dalton could have brought to the role on top of all that he already was able to with producers that provided him the kinds of freedoms Barbara and Michael do with Dan.
    I sort of read those possibilities in, and it does indeed favourably colour my view of his tenure, I have to admit.
    I will say, to this day I am staggered at just how much Dalton was able to do in Licence To Kill, which to this day feels like the darkest Bond film ever made. There's some twisted stuff in there, and Dalton plays Bond with a fire in his eyes that is alarming to watch. He's done giving a damn about M and his rules, or anyone else for that matter, if they stand in his way of Sanchez. He said "stuff my orders" in The Living Daylights, but this time he really means it.

It kind of reminds me of Bond at the beginning of Diamonds Are Forever, consumed by a desire to do nothing but kill Blofeld, no matter what. He gets disrespectful of M and the service because of his chase, using their resources for his own needs on top of it, and taking time away from the office when more important missions are ongoing.

When Bond gets like this, avenging the deaths of his loved ones, he is a force to be reckoned with as he loses sight of the world's problems and views them as subservient to his own.
    A man with a true moral compass and the knowledge & means to set things right is rare, even in the cinematic world where currently excess and CGI-induced infrastructure carnage rule.
    In LTK, less was more.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm another big Dalton Fan =D>
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 2,107
    Only thing I don't like about QoS is the killing of Mathis.

They finally got the character in the films and they kill him two films in.

Also, what's with the covername line?
    That he used his own name?

Probably the case.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 732
    peter wrote: »
    There's just something special in his performances that is able to channel Fleming's Bond.
    I agree. All actors brought something to the role and helped keeping James Bond alive but Craig for sure highlighted parts of Bonds personality that is in the novels but never shown like this before - and it is appreciated and his acting just suits this very good.

Agree! Dalton definitely had the right idea but he was ahead of his time.
    @SeanCraig, what's the saying? First through the door always gets it?
    Well all I meant was: Dalton wanted to highlight the serious and dark sides of the literary character - like Craig did later and more successful. Dalton had the right idea but the time was not right for it.

SeanCraig wrote: »
    Well all I meant was: Dalton wanted to highlight the serious and dark sides of the literary character - like Craig did later and more successful. Dalton had the right idea but the time was not right for it.
    Exactly, by being first Dalton had to take it in the arse when audiences weren't ready for it, and the precedent he set allowed a more successful handling of it later through Dan.
    It wasn't that Craig was more successful, its just that audiences and critics weren't receptive of what Dalton was trying to do with the role, present a closer interpretation of the literary character that hadn't been presented before!
    After Brossas one dimensional generic playing, Craigs darker serious tone was more accepting for people! But yeh, Dalton got there first, and after Craigs films, Dalton seems to be getting a bit more respect that he deserves (though not enough, imho!!)
    Well, he was more successful, and the box office in the states, amongst other factors, proves it. I don't mean successful in regards to giving a better performance, as that's subjective, but Dan's take has shown better numbers, so to speak, than the Dalton films. When adjusted for inflation TLD and LTK are at the very bottom of all-time box office, with only TMWTGG between them.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Let's not forget that LTK, the least performing Bond film of the whole lot, was the 12th biggest box office hit of 1989, a position that in 2015 would make it the 3rd biggest non sci-fi or animated film of the year, behind only Furious 7 and M:I Rogue Nation.
  • The choice of the opera Tosca in QoS and Vesper’s sacrifice in CR has always struck me as a subtle twist of drama in the QoS script. By itself the opera scene, in which Bond infiltrates and then is able to unmask the Quantum board of directors is clever, but less obvious is the choice of the opera Tosca, a story where the heroine sacrifices herself for love. Of course in a classic opera both lovers die, here Bond is simply betrayed, and Vesper after a final farewell to Bond drowns herself. Not quite as dramatic as flinging herself from the fortress parapet as Tosca, but still a nice touch (well Bond does toss the agent from the roof of the opera house).
    @Legionnaire, agreed. I think the Tosca connections and parallels to the stories of CR and QoS are sadly lost on most, but there's a great many similarities or themes they share, including the sacrifice for love and an act of suicide out of grief and also the deception of a woman by a powerful man (as Vesper gets tricked by Yusef and Quantum as a whole), as well as a dramatic torture scene where the man being tortured is being used to get information (like Bond's torture in CR), amongst others.
  • I’ve no idea if the Tosca analogy is valid or not. It’s easy to play mental games and find relationships between events, when none really exist. Just look at the number of conspiracy theories that fly around. If the writers did consciously write the script that way, then they have a great since of humor, on the other hand maybe I just had too much Brandy.