Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It was one of the reasons that I was kind of down on QOS at first. I didn't dislike the film, but EON seemed (not seemed, was, actually) to be intentionally going out of it's way to make this an anti-Bond film: no gun barrel at the start, no colorful villain, no "Bond, James Bond", Bond doesn't sleep with the Main Bond Girl, very limited use of the Theme, etc.). It's a Top ten for me now, but it did take time to get over that aspect.
    I outright disliked the movie at first. Now it's one of my favourites. One of the best endings to any Bond movie, too IMO.
    Repeat.
    The election has pushed my reset button.
    ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It was one of the reasons that I was kind of down on QOS at first. I didn't dislike the film, but EON seemed (not seemed, was, actually) to be intentionally going out of it's way to make this an anti-Bond film: no gun barrel at the start, no colorful villain, no "Bond, James Bond", Bond doesn't sleep with the Main Bond Girl, very limited use of the Theme, etc.). It's a Top ten for me now, but it did take time to get over that aspect.
    I outright disliked the movie at first. Now it's one of my favourites. One of the best endings to any Bond movie, too IMO.

I'm in the same camp, for different reasons. After CR I didn't see how great it was at first, but over time its assets became aware to me.

I have never minded that it doesn't follow a strict formula, because that gets really boring. Not every Bond film has to have him bedding everything on two legs or with a colorful villain, because sometimes that just doesn't work. If you don't have variety in these films complacency and tedium set in where you see all the chips falling ahead of time.

Greene was a different kind of villain, and Camille a different kind of Bond girl, which I really respect and enjoy about this film, amongst other things.
    I've just put it on to watch...Greene is actually one of favourite villains,at the PTS i just Watched is immense..
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The ending is the exact same scene from the end of the Bourne supremacy, except Bourne is the guilty party in that scenario. It really doesn't go any way to recovering the films reputation of being modelled after the Damon series.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 19,339
    The ending is the exact same scene from the end of the Bourne supremacy, except Bourne is the guilty party in that scenario. It really doesn't go any way to recovering the films reputation of being modelled after the Damon series.

Balls...its Bond,he follows no-one...and this is an appreciation thread ..

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That's one of the things I love about QoS; it subverts a lot of expectations and does a great job peeling back the layers and focuses on Bond's mindset and emotional disposition. Bond is hurt and bitter and you can see that in his body language but he channels what he's going through, recklessly at times by throwing himself deep into work. The film is a great character study and when we get those moments such as Bond and Mathis on the plane, Bond holding a dying Mathis in his arms, M scolding Bond over Fields' death and Bond's scenes with Camille in the sink hole, asking if she's ever killed someone and of course Bond's confrontation with Yusef....such scenes are quite impact full and serve to highlight and elevate a film with substance that's primarily a lean action packed movie.

For a film that was "cobbled together" to turn out as good as it did it makes one wonder what the outcome would have been with a trouble-free production.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Balls...its Bond...and this is an appreciation thread ..

Calm down. I'm not critizing, but the comparison is apt. The scenes overlap like Zorins data chips.
    This film will only go up in most Bond fan's lists...i said this before and got mocked,i said it would be a modern classic.....look at DC in my avatar and see his agreement with me hahaha
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Other than that fact that two people are in a room at the end of a film talking about a dead person, I don't really see how it's a Bourne rip-off.

Bourne is apologizing to someone who's loved one he killed in a very quiet fashion, whereas Bond has a gun trained on Yusef to get all the information out of him that he can. The scenes are very different, with the former being a very silent and calm one, while the former is tense, anger-fueled and explosive; Bond plays no games.

The fights are also a return to the fast and rough editing of Hunt, a part of Bond history before Bourne ever came along. If anything, Bourne takes its beats from Bond. But this is a discussion for elsewhere.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    i havent to be fair,but he is excellent in this.

The guy who plays Beam in QOS is one of the leads in Stranger Things.
    Quantum of Solace contains an endless string of my favorite dramatic scenes in the franchise (and the Slate fight is one of my favorite brawls):

There's just such great artistry and quality of performance in this movie that makes everything so raw and impactful. It gets written off by so many for not being a "proper" Bond movie, but that contention always makes me laugh. This movie, and the Craig films in general feel more in touch with Young's style of Bond than any other previous director, and for me, his three are as proper as Bond films can get. Quantum doesn't bog itself down with a silly pact to the formula, and just tells a damn good story with Bond at his most interesting. This may in fact be Dan's best performance, because he is given so many great meaty moments to give us a window into Bond's inner life like no actor has done like Sean and Timothy. But he performs like this in all his films, so it is very hard for me to say conclusively which of the four are his best, as I struggled similarly with Connery's films.

I hope that over time Quantum finds even more support as its wonders are discovered by a new generation of fans that like Bond films with more meat on their bones and more than spectacle on the menu.

Some of the greatest friendships I've made on here started in part by discussing this film with members on this thread, and our mutual love for it bonded us from the start.

Totally agree about the way QOS is more reminiscent of some of the earlier films. This is exactly what struck me when I first saw it. It is a short sharp little movie. None of the overlong, stodgy storytelling and editing that has become a hallmark of the series under Mendes. It's much fresher than CR even, which dare I say it, is slightly overrated around here.

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Following some previous comments I can also just agree that time over time it will go up in people's rankings because it has a lot to offer. I tend to compare it to OHMSS due to this. I love the movie more an more with each time I watch it (even the editing still makes me angry sometimes)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Quantum of Solace contains an endless string of my favorite dramatic scenes in the franchise (and the Slate fight is one of my favorite brawls):

There's just such great artistry and quality of performance in this movie that makes everything so raw and impactful. It gets written off by so many for not being a "proper" Bond movie, but that contention always makes me laugh. This movie, and the Craig films in general feel more in touch with Young's style of Bond than any other previous director, and for me, his three are as proper as Bond films can get. Quantum doesn't bog itself down with a silly pact to the formula, and just tells a damn good story with Bond at his most interesting. This may in fact be Dan's best performance, because he is given so many great meaty moments to give us a window into Bond's inner life like no actor has done like Sean and Timothy. But he performs like this in all his films, so it is very hard for me to say conclusively which of the four are his best, as I struggled similarly with Connery's films.

I hope that over time Quantum finds even more support as its wonders are discovered by a new generation of fans that like Bond films with more meat on their bones and more than spectacle on the menu.

Some of the greatest friendships I've made on here started in part by discussing this film with members on this thread, and our mutual love for it bonded us from the start.

I totally agree with that. Witness also the natural dialogue on the jet minus the clumsy phone pic of Bond. I love that scene.
    It's scenes like the above where it really pays to have actors who know how to perform naturally, Bogie-style. It raises QoS and the Craig era to a whole new level, because what we see is so believable and "true to life" in how people deal with certain things.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    It's scenes like the above where it really pays to have actors who know how to perform naturally, Bogie-style. It raises QoS and the Craig era to a whole new level, because what we see is so believable and "true to life" in how people deal with certain things.

Agreed. I love the private jet scene as well.
  • RC7RC7

For me Bond isn't true to life and never has been; beginning with Fleming. It's a step away from reality. I love drama that feels real, but in terms of tone and direction it needs some unreality, fantasy etc.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,336
    The jet scene is probably my favourite scene in the film.
    I also agree on that the length of the film is one of its strenghts.
    I rewatched CR the other day for the first time in ages and the dialogue is so cringeworthy. The writing just isn't that good.

I don't care if Forster and Craig had to write QOS on the hoof. I think they actually did a decent job.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I rewatched CR the other day for the first time in ages and the dialogue is so cringeworthy. The writing just isn't that good.

I don't care if Forster and Craig had to write QOS on the hoof. I think they actually did a decent job.

Can't agree with that. Other then the 'little finger' stuff, CR has brilliant dialouge throughout.

Craig and Green carry the film but the dialogue is not brilliant. It's all a bit gauche and clunky.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Craig and Green carry the film but the dialogue is not brilliant. It's all a bit gauche and clunky.

You must have been watching a different film to me!

I think CR's dialogue is one of the films strongest areas

@Getafix's love for the Brosnan films and their sterling dialogue has soured him on all the other films' scripts, I fear.
    I don't think we have had very good film scripts for quite a long time. The Craig era is an improvment on the Brosnan films but people exagerate the quality of CR, IMO.

'' What is that a rolex? ''

'' Omega ''

'' Beautiful ''.

edited November 2016 Posts: 8,087
    I don't think we have had very good film scripts for quite a long time. The Craig era is an improvment on the Brosnan films but people exagerate the quality of CR, IMO.

YES!!! =D> ^:)^

Finally somebody said it.

YES!!! =D> ^:)^

Finally somebody said it.
    I agree.
    This is shocking...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2016 Posts: 5,979
    QoS is perhaps the Bond film that holds the most promise. Had Haggis had more time to work on it, it would have been a truly worthy--and original! Imagine that from Eon!--follow-up to CR. And of course the editing was a mistake.

But there are a lot of great moments to be enjoyed in this one, starting with M and White (M seems almost distraught about Quantum's existence) and ending with Bond and M ("I never left"). It is sublime, at times.

Aside from CR and OHMSS, I can't think of a Bond film with a better ending, perfectly wrapping up not one but two films. Unlike SF, the gunbarrel at the end is earned by what precedes it.

And really, why did we never see the follow-through of Greene's "I've told you everything I know about Quantum"? By the time we get to SP (and this is years later in Bond-time), Bond needs M to lead him to Sciarra. Why didn't Bond gather the information himself from Greene?

Maybe Forster should get another chance with a completed script and a different editor.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,443
    QOS. Again on Dutch tv. 11 December 2016, 20:00 Rtl 4. One weak later Skyfall again...
    Apart from the wonderful scene on the plane with Mathis and Bond, another standout scene is after the the Opera sequence when M is on the phone to Bond after she thinks he killed the British agent! The way Forster has her removing her make up, while fuming at 007 ("Is that stress in your voice?") is inspired! A lot of people still cant get past the editing (which i now think is one of its strongpoints!) and fail to see some really memorable dramatic scenes! All those harping on about wanting Martin Campbell to return, i would gladly have Marc Forster back over him!