Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    You guys can't be serious that you'd like for more films to be written in the vein of QOS. Even in the Craig era you can look to CR for better writing at least.
    It's funny how QoS had massive script troubles in getting a story down, yet it tells some of the greatest Bond moments we've seen, while other films given a massive amount of time to develop a story don't succeed as well in people's eyes. Maybe EON should wing it more often? ;)

Exactly right. When you look at the amount of plot holes and discrepancies in Skyfall, you do wonder.

I don't think there are as many as people claim.

Trouble is they run through the entire film like the words in a stick of rock.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    You guys can't be serious that you'd like for more films to be written in the vein of QOS. Even in the Craig era you can look to CR for better writing at least.
    Certainly CR is the benchmark for the Craig era, but QoS has an almost 70's style quality to the writing. The political sarcasm in particular is nicely done. There wis a subtlety to it. Additionally, I find the returning characters all seem like the same people that they were in the prior film, which I'll tell you I didn't feel in SP.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What manages to elevate QoS slightly higher than CR for me sometimes is that the latter was so great, I figured there was no way they'd be able to top it, until I finally saw QoS and it blew me away the entire time.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    What manages to elevate QoS slightly higher than CR for me sometimes is that the latter was so great, I figured there was no way they'd be able to top it, until I finally saw QoS and it blew me away the entire time.

I think it was a nice follow on from CR and kept the same kind of balance for this new James Bond.

Can't tell you how pissed off I was when I heard Q was returning to the films! He should have ended when Desmond Llewelyn retired.

CR and QoS are right up there with the early Connery Bond films as far as I'm concerned.

In many ways, CR and QOS are like James Bond movies made before GF came along.
    Just watched it again. Want to see it again
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    QoS does capture that FRWL feel of shifting perspectives. There are the bits with Dominic, the bits with M, the bits with Felix and the main focus on Bond. I do find the plot very intriguing. Its the first time we have Governments corruption as a plotpoint, and paired with the very modern concern of water supplies, the film stills feels current despite being nearly a decade old. The plot is no different than the space race plots of the sixties, just updated for modern day.
    The dialogue is a lot snappier than most Bond films. I'm reminded of TB in that regard. There are so many great little lines (not all from Bond) and moments peppered liberally throughout the (very slim) runtime that you're never left waiting for the next block of entertaining scenes.
    I'm somewhat nostalgic for QoS now. At the time I was highly disappointed, and I still feel this is film best viewed as a standalone rather than a part 2, but on balance we were still kind of on track here. It's not till 4 years later that EON had shrunk back into its shell. SF feels like a film from the mid 90's by comparison, when hacking was the next big thing. QoS holds up better, I think.

The action still sucks though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It took me a long time to get to even like QOS, on first viewing I absolutely
    Hated it ! Yet oddly many of the things I ranted on about, I now like a lot and
    Even think the film looks very stylish.
    I wouldn't rate it as highly as some, but it would happily sit in my top ten Bond
    Films.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 337
    I know this is a thread for positivity but I just don't see it with QoS. Everything is rushed - the plot, the action scenes, even the gunbarrel - and it's horribly dour, not to mention filled to the brim with poor references to older Bonds (and people hate on SP for that). It's utterly flavourless - you don't get much worse than that when it comes to Bond.
    bondjames wrote: »
    There's something very old school about QoS, despite it being one of the most modern Bond films in its pacing and its editing. The retro flavour comes from the rich vibrance of the colours, the feeling of being in the moment on location as opposed to in some CGI enhanced atmosphere/environment, the cinematography, and the dialogue, which as I mentioned earlier is surprisingly mature.

The party scene always felt very 60s to me, might be the costume design.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    There's something very old school about QoS, despite it being one of the most modern Bond films in its pacing and its editing. The retro flavour comes from the rich vibrance of the colours, the feeling of being in the moment on location as opposed to in some CGI enhanced atmosphere/environment, the cinematography, and the dialogue, which as I mentioned earlier is surprisingly mature.

Agreed. And this is a plus point of the film.
    I loved Craig's suits in QOS. They seemed to be less tightly fitted.
    I agree. Louise Frogley did an excellent job on this film. As I said somewhere else, one of the worst things about the last two Bond movies (yes, even worse than the reappearing DB5) for me has been Jany Temime. Useless.
    Even I noticed it and I'm useless at anything fashionable.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Bingo. They were the perfect fit and exceptionally well tailored and they're Tom Ford suits.
    I'm no expert, but think as already stated , good fitting is the secret to a suit looking good.
    I'm no expert, but think as already stated , good fitting is the secret to a suit looking good.
    Absolutely right. It's the key element, in addition to quality materials. The fact that Bond fails this test in the most recent films is unforgiveable imho.
    It's saying something when I think M's suits look better than Bonds.
    ( I think Finnes not Dench as M ) ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So why don t they tailor fit a suit for Bond? How expensive can it be? More than a record explosion?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Again this suit talk?

Craig looks fantastic in the tight fit suits of genius Tom Ford. Period. Full stop.
    Sadly I must respectfully disagree, sometimes they look far too tight. :(
    Just wait until his trousers rip in Bond 25. Period. Full stop.
    I thought someone mentioned here that he apparently did split his pants in SP. During the Blofeld HQ scene.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I thought someone mentioned here that he apparently did split his pants in SP. During the Blofeld HQ scene.

Wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination, given how tight those suits look.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination, given how tight those suits look.

But it was a stretch.
    CR and QoS are a great double bill. Watched them back to back several times. Bank Holiday coming up here in Ireland in a week. Am planning to watch all 4 of Craigs movies back to back over the holiday! Cant wait. Gotta have something to look forward to while waiting on some positive news about Bond 25!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Léa Seydoux called it the funniest moment of the shoot. Very funny indeed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    CR and QoS are a great double bill.
    Like parts 1 & 2.
    Yes, I've done that a few times, great way to watch them.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Again this suit talk?

Craig looks fantastic in the tight fit suits of genius Tom Ford. Period. Full stop.
    Again this suit talk?

Agreed.