Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    QOS is my #4 Bond at the moment.
  • RC7RC7
    I can't justify the action in QoS. It simply exists.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    chrisisall wrote: »

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen it ranked that high before. Is there anything in particular that caused you to love it so much?

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen it ranked that high before. Is there anything in particular that caused you to love it so much?
    It's just so different... so lean, yet still full of snappy dialogue. There are character moments that sometimes bring a tear to my eye (Mathis, I'm lookin' at you). And one of the best endings to a Bond movie ever.

It's just so different... so lean, yet still full of snappy dialogue. There are character moments that sometimes bring a tear to my eye (Mathis, I'm lookin' at you). And one of the best endings to a Bond movie ever.

I agree with you there. Every time I watch that scene I'm bedazzled by Craig. He has the intensity of Dalton there.

The best ending to Bond film, for my money anyway. Leaving Greene to his devices in the middle of the desert with just a can of oil to sustain him is one of the most sinister moments Bond has had in the franchise, and before that the film has the guts to actually show Bond contemplating a murder-suicide rather than burn to death in the fire. Certainly much more interesting material than the blatant fan-service employed in the endings of the other Craig films.

Following that up with a great confrontation with Yusef in Russia, I don't think they've ever ended a Bond film in a better way.

I agree with you there. Every time I watch that scene I'm bedazzled by Craig. He has the intensity of Dalton there.
    Absolutely.
    And also, Bond evolves. By the end he's become the Bond I know. Sends bloody shivers up my spine. And all this basically written on the fly. Amazing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's funny how QoS had massive script troubles in getting a story down, yet it tells some of the greatest Bond moments we've seen, while other films given a massive amount of time to develop a story don't succeed as well in people's eyes. Maybe EON should wing it more often? ;)
    It's funny how QoS had script troubles in getting a story down, yet it tells some of the greatest Bond moments we've seen, while other films given a massive amount of time to develop a story don't succeed as well in people's eyes. Maybe EON should wing it more often? ;)

DO IT LIVE!!
    It's funny how QoS had massive script troubles in getting a story down, yet it tells some of the greatest Bond moments we've seen, while other films given a massive amount of time to develop a story don't succeed as well in people's eyes. Maybe EON should wing it more often? ;)

Maybe EON should have dumped Mendes and brought Forster aboard Spectre when the script problems began. They could have let him and Craig rewrite the film on the fly. Couldn't have turned out any worse. ;)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's funny how QoS had script troubles in getting a story down, yet it tells some of the greatest Bond moments we've seen, while other films given a massive amount of time to develop a story don't succeed as well in people's eyes. Maybe EON should wing it more often? ;)

DO IT LIVE!!

Boys, I think we've found the writer of Bond 25:

giphy.gif

Somebody call Barbara, Michael, and Daniel. We'll have this baby shot and ready for theaters by Christmas.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That meltdown rivals the 'Terminator: Salvation' on-set freak out by Christian Bale.
    dalton wrote: »

Maybe EON should have dumped Mendes and brought Forster aboard Spectre when the script problems began. They could have let him and Craig rewrite the film on the fly. Couldn't have turned out any worse. ;)
    Craig said after QOS that he'd never go through all that stress of staying up late before early morning shoots frantically writing scenes of dialogue again. I get his pain, but it yielded some really excellent results IMO.
  • The action scenes in QOS are appreciable only in retrospection. That is, after the action of SF and SP where there is little pace. There's always a lot of urgency in QOS's fights, even if they are excessive.

The problem is the main unit and the second unit never even met. Forster had no interest in action, he just let Bradley and the stunt team handle all that stuff. That's why all the action starts suddenly, there was no communication going on. If you watch either Campbell Bond film, the action often starts out small and contained and things slowly escalate and ramp up. Take the airport scene in CR for example. It starts by Bond tailing this guy, and ends with both men in a fistfight whilst speeding down a runway in a lorry. The same goes for most Campbell directed action sequences. This is because Campbell, unlike Forster, is a director who understands action. He will hold on wide shots because he wants to show off what is happening in the clearest way. The crazy shot lengths, shaky cam, and weird closeups in QoS are used to try and distract from the fact that the action itself just isn't very inspired. It's like adding lots of pepper to a bland dish.

I hate how there is no buildup to any of the action in QOS. The movie wouldn't sit still.

I think there was plenty build up. Burning build up, actually. In just the first scenes of action in the film alone, there's plenty.

In Siena, we see Mitchell around as White is being brought in, and instantly trust him just because he's in the MI6 inner circle and never suspect that anything is going to kick up. As White teases M and Bond about how he and Quantum have the upper hand, his words become a greater truth as Mitchell snaps and tries to kill them both, signaling the opening chase of the film and displaying just how powerful and deceptive an entity that Quantum are.

In the Slate fight, there's wonderful shots of tension leading up to it where Bond is sneaking into the man's apartment, and for a while, you think he's alone until, out of the silence, Slate breaks through the glass doors at Bond in fury. The lead up to the fight is mysterious, unnerving and peaceful, all at the same time, as one of the the shots are beads being rustled by a breeze. The peaceful imagery of Slate's home and the later feral nature of the man's fighting style as he explodes out of nowhere at Bond are used to great dichotomous effect and completely disturb our expectations of how the scene was going to play out.

I for one think these scenes alone offer a fascinating and deep build up to their action sequences, with both subtle and overt visual and verbal cues supplied to signal what is coming for Bond.

That is not what I would call build-up. In fact it is a juxtaposition of completely different tones/atmospheres/states of tension.

-Sienna chase: Begins with a shot
    -Knife fight: Begins with knife being flicked
    -Plane chase: Begins with them getting shot at

and so on.

I get what you are trying to say and for maybe one or two scenes it would be fine. But the problem with QOS is that it just kept doing it, having all these action scenes come out of nowhere instead of arising naturally. And a lot of this action doesn't really know if it's action - elevator fight, shootout with the motorbike police - it starts up very quickly and then ends immediately. QOS just gives a very start-stop feel. An irate child who for one moment is lazy and doesn't want to do anything, then moments later has a fit, over and over.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That is not what I would call build-up. In fact it is a juxtaposition of completely different tones/atmospheres/states of tension.

-Sienna chase: Begins with a shot
    -Knife fight: Begins with knife being flicked
    -Plane chase: Begins with them getting shot at

and so on.

I get what you are trying to say and for maybe one or two scenes it would be fine. But the problem with QOS is that it just kept doing it, having all these action scenes come out of nowhere instead of arising naturally. And a lot of this action doesn't really know if it's action - elevator fight, shootout with the motorbike police - it starts up very quickly and then ends immediately. QOS just gives a very start-stop feel. An irate child who for one moment is lazy and doesn't want to do anything, then moments later has a fit, over and over.
    I'm in agreement with you on this. I have grown to appreciate the action for what it is, and creatively it's very different to any other Bond film, but there's something unnerving about the whole thing. Maybe that's what they wanted, and if so, that's fine. I would have just preferred a little more of the build up as @Mendes4Lyfe explained.
    I agree. The dialogue is surprisingly good for a film that endured a writer's strike. Far superior to the latest effort. It's not even close. There's something very 'old school' about QoS's dialogue. It's intelligent to my ears. Mature even.

Totally agree. Have been a big QOS fan since the day I first saw it. Massively underrated Bond film.

I partly blame that massively overrated film critic, Mark Kermode.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

It's #3 for me.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,691
    Walecs wrote: »

It's #3 for me.
    What are your 1 & 2?

It's #3 for me.
    What are your 1 & 2?

If I had to guess, I'd say OHMSS is his #1 and CR #2.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

It's my number 2, behind CR.
    The QOS love here is amazing! =D>
    For me QOS is a mess... Like an Eton mess: it does not hold well, there are some very odd choices and combination, yet it's thoroughly enjoyable and surprisingly inspired.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

It's #3 for me.
    What are your 1 & 2?

Well done. :D

It's #3 for me.
    What are your 1 & 2?

Well done. :D

I aim to please. ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The QOS love here is amazing! =D>

One of the reasons I love QoS is because there's no bs. It really doesn't pull any punches and gets straight down to business. It's somewhat hardboiled and gritty but has an elegance and degree of sophistication to it that really distinguishes itself from the other 23 films. The scenes with Mathis are incredible and I love the controversial dumping of his body in a dumpster. The opening car chase with Arnold's score is absolutely fantastic; yes, it has a few editing issues but I can forgive it simply because of how visceral it is. The Tosca shootout is a standout, that's different, dynamic and unpretentious. I REALLY need to find time to do a CR/QoS double bill sometime soon.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QOS stands out as different like so many other Bond films that get recognized by fans. Not looking at you, DAD.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    There's something very old school about QoS, despite it being one of the most modern Bond films in its pacing and its editing. The retro flavour comes from the rich vibrance of the colours, the feeling of being in the moment on location as opposed to in some CGI enhanced atmosphere/environment, the cinematography, and the dialogue, which as I mentioned earlier is surprisingly mature.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,691
    Two of my favourite Bonds were made during writer's strikes- LTK & QOS.
    Let's have some more strikes, please. ;;)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Exactly right. When you look at the amount of plot holes and discrepancies in Skyfall, you do wonder.
  • You guys can't be serious that you'd like for more films to be written in the vein of QOS. Even in the Craig era you can look to CR for better writing at least.

Exactly right. When you look at the amount of plot holes and discrepancies in Skyfall, you do wonder.

I don't think there are as many as people claim.